Q: Exchange rate trending up.

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

Does anyone have an idea why? The 2 Gold Daily went in April 19th but it looks like May is a steady march up wards. Up roughly 1 gold per 100 gems over the last week, 2 gold over the last two weeks. And it looks fairly linear on the month scale here.

https://www.gw2tp.com/gems

A sign of returning players? Ideas?

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

Posted by: warbignime.4610

warbignime.4610

I think it’s just because we are getting alot more liquid gold from daily/dungeon/fractal.

Some must fight so that all may be free.

Posted by: StinVec.3621

StinVec.3621

I saw in another thread where someone stated that it could be related to WvW having a ‘more fun’ map again. In addition to having an influx of returning players because of this map returning, it could be related to the cost of server switching fees where entire guilds are also swapping servers. Due to this potential mass-server switching, guild gold may be getting funneled to players to exchange for gems to pay for their transfers.

If this has at least something to do with it, then the steadily increasing exchange rate could be related to the gold-sent-via-mail and guild vault gold withdrawal limitations. Perhaps the transfers are only able to be paid for over the course of several weeks instead of all at once, thus keeping the exchange steadily increasing.

Personally, I feel that this could be a likely cause of the current exchange rate, at least in part.

edited – slight rewording and elaboration

| [“I’d really like this…” — Resource for Gifting Strangers] |
| [Free Ports For All “Not So Secret” JP Needs (and 1st Try Dive Tips)] |
| [Classic Thread: “all is vain”] |

(edited by StinVec.3621)

Posted by: LimitBreaker.4165

LimitBreaker.4165

Nah, exchange rate always goes up high when something limited or some old item comes back to the gemstore and every week anet has been adding old items/new skins to the gemstore which explains the high exchange rate. Moth wings are coming soon so expect another increase when the gemstore updates again.

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

When something returns to the gem shop it spikes on Tuesday and generally settles back down to a new level. April 26th is a good example of this. In this case is a slow march upwards.

It just caught my eye when I looked at the chart an hour ago. Didn’t dredge anything up on the blogs, patch notes or gem store listings that would drive this in my mind.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

(edited by Behellagh.1468)

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

I don’t think there is one driving factor, rather a combination of things.

• More limited time items showing up lately
  • Daily 2 gold
  • Players returned for Alpine BL’s
  • Players returned for Hot reward revamp
  • More interest in scribing due to somewhat reduced costs

Posted by: brokenrabbit.6538

brokenrabbit.6538

Glad I maxed my account out with bank tabs/inventory slots/gathering tools back when gems were like 4 gold for 800. People joining the game today don’t stand a chance without the Visa/Mastercard.

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

Does anyone have an idea why? The 2 Gold Daily went in April 19th but it looks like May is a steady march up wards. Up roughly 1 gold per 100 gems over the last week, 2 gold over the last two weeks. And it looks fairly linear on the month scale here.

https://www.gw2tp.com/gems

A sign of returning players? Ideas?

There is rarely any mystery associated with the gold:gem ratio.

• It always goes up when ANet offers something popular.
  • It always goes down when people get RL gifts that include gems.

In the past, ANet was inexplicably bad about maintaining a set of desired items in the gem shop. Over the past six months, they have gotten really good at:

• Introducing new, incredibly popular items (glider skins, wings, and especially share inventory slots).
  • Returning old skins (including minis, tools, etc) to the shop.

If a lot of people were returning to the game, we could expect the ratio to drop somewhat, as some people are willing to pay RL cash to convert to gold in order to “catch up”. However, that’s a lot less useful in the HoT era than it was before: tons of rewards depends on map currencies and those can’t be earned more quickly by spending gold.

I speculate that the current biggest driver to the high ratio remains the shared inventory slots — I believe that most people who want 5 or 10 slots (in addition to the free one) haven’t bought all they want, due to the large amount of gems required.

tl;dr there are more things that people want that cost gems, which causes the ratio to rise (and not enough people willing to pay RL cash to convert to gold).

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Posted by: Esquilax.3491

Esquilax.3491

It’s inversely affected by Gem>Gold and Gold>Gem transactions.

When HoT launched lots of people were spending lots of IRL money on gems to convert to gold. Now that we’re months in people have stopped spending cash, and the frugal players who farm and buy gems with gold outnumber the former so it’s driving the rate up in that direction.