Q.Qers and why they feel the need to stick around and insult/attack people who like the game

Q.Qers and why they feel the need to stick around and insult/attack people who like the game

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Jazhara Knightmage.4389

Jazhara Knightmage.4389

I have been playing MMO’s since UltimaOnline, and NEVER have i seen so many people who flat out hate the game and have nothing good to say about it, who stick around the forums to say the same hateful comments over and over….

I have seen far worse games get some bad comments, then the people who dont like it move on to the next fotm and stop posting.

Im just not sure why this game attracts these people…..

If I dont like a game, I dont stick around its forums and QQ about it, I move on, play other games….I may comment letting the company know what I didnt like once, but im not going to stick around and waste time berating people who made the game and people who like/love the game….

Am I the only one who finds this behaviour perplexing?

AMD FX-8350@4.8ghz on air(SilverArrowSB-E Extreme) , 32gb 1866mhz(10-11-10 cr1)
PCP&C 1200watt TC, Crosshair V F-Z, Sapphire 290x

Posted by: DirtyDeeds.6075

DirtyDeeds.6075

This has been happening for a long time now. It is especially prevalent with a lot of hard core raider/gamer crowds. They are the ones who race through the content and then complain they have nothing to do.

The them I say well duh !!!

I think I am more confused why a lot of the complainers seem to expect similar amounts of content that mature games with multiple expansions under their belts have.

I won’t miss them and wish they would find a different venue to vent their shortsighted ADD’s.

Posted by: Adine.2184

Adine.2184

Because GW 2 was suppose to be the "WoW beater " game so people stick around and make sure the forum is received negatively to turn people off to the game before its played reducing its population . That’s My theory anyway

Posted by: Meeooww.3742

Meeooww.3742

Because 60 bucks, that’s why.

Jazhara Knightmage.4389

I REALLY wish they would move to another game, just not FireFall….the FireFall community is amazing……(good friendly people, not a bunch of kitten posteriors.)

Honestly, in all my years, I havent seen it this bad… and i have seen some pretty horrible communities… the WoW private server communities overall where pretty bad last i checked but even the people who hated a specific private server and its bugs wouldnt stick around for weeks let along months to complain and troll/stir stuff up….

if you dont like a game, move on, dont troll the forum and insult the devs and community because they arent catering to you…..

Jazhara Knightmage.4389

i guarantee they dont stick around every game forum they have paid 60bucks for and ended up not liking, if only because if they pulled the crap i have seen here, most forums would just ban them then ban each new account they made…or in the case of EA, ban them from forums and from their games….

Posted by: Meeooww.3742

Meeooww.3742

i guarantee they dont stick around every game forum they have paid 60bucks for and ended up not liking, if only because if they pulled the crap i have seen here, most forums would just ban them then ban each new account they made…or in the case of EA, ban them from forums and from their games….

I certainly would, luckily I read reviews of the game before I purchase them. In this case I played the Beta weekends as always they are not representative of the actual game, and so on. What bugs me in this game is the bugs. Bugs are certainly not something I enjoy. Especially when it affects one of your characters.

Posted by: beren.6048

beren.6048

High expectations I guess. Also, Anet made some very extreme and new choices and groups of people always respond extreme to change. Most of it I like and I say good job Anet. The bugs are annoying me a lot, especially if they prevent me doing group activities and many bugs have to do with group activities.

Posted by: No Leaf Clover.4893

No Leaf Clover.4893

I for one seem to be the kind of people you describe, even if I don’t consder being a QQer, I just come here and say what disappointed me in this game, and always try to keep it clean and non hating in my posts.
I stopped playing, but I still come to see the forums on a regular basis.
Why? I love the universe, I loved GW1, and I want to love this game as well, because while the concept is fine, the flaws I find are for now keeping me from playing. So I just come to see whether patch notes could satisfy me, see what people say, if the points I find repelling are adressed, etc.
Though I’m never flaming the game game in any case, I sometime tell what I feel is wrong, I share opinions -though I must admit, it often evolves pretty quickly in a flamefest, so I post less and less.
I consider my behavior totally reasonable, but I understand that people enjoying the game as is go tired of this.

Posted by: Saruba.7124

Saruba.7124

Some of us don’t hate the game, we hate what ArenaNet has done to the game since launch.

Posted by: Humposaurus.5764

Humposaurus.5764

Perhaps its because ANet is altering things that should not have been altered after they released it. Mainly the DR system.

As in all MMO’s there will be botters/exploiters etc. They should have tested this system during the BWE and internal weekends. If I knew on beforehand that GW2 would have a similar anti-farm system as GW1, I would have NEVER BOUGHT this game.

Jazhara Knightmage.4389

I for one seem to be the kind of people you describe, even if I don’t consder being a QQer, I just come here and say what disappointed me in this game, and always try to keep it clean and non hating in my posts.
Why? I love the universe, I loved GW1, and I want to love this game as well, because while the concept is fine, the flaws I find are for now keeping me from playing. So I just come to see whether patch notes could satisfy me, see what people say, if the points I find repelling are adressed, etc.
Though I’m never flaming the game game in any case, I sometime tell what I feel is wrong, I share opinions -though I must admit, it often evolves pretty quickly in a flamefest, so I post less and less.
I consider my behavior totally reasonable, but I understand that people enjoying the game as is go tired of this.

from this post your not really the type im talking about, the ones im talking about do not keep it civil, they also insist their opinion is fact and everybody elses opinions are invalid, they are rude, I see many of them get their posts deleted or whole threads removed thanks to them….

I honestly have zero issue with somebody not liking a game and stating that in a mature respectful manner, its the group I think of as "cs kiddies’ (after counter strike kiddies) they are rude and hateful.

if the game you wanted was gw1 on a new engine, thats not gonna happen here, you would be better off looking at torchlight 2 as its closer to the gw1 experiance then gw2 ever will be.

most of the really nasty gw1 posters who hate this game seem almost proud they didnt research the game at all before buying it, and seem to think they are entitled to the game they expected, not the one anet had talked about for something like 2+ years before beta’s started….

some of them on amazon are just as bad as here…..a few even got their posting privileges taken away for their actions(really really out of line)

again, i have no issue with an honest fair critique of the game, I know it has flaws, Im no fanboi, infact, im starting to feel like im one of Anets harshest critics who still loves the game despite its warts…..(keep running into fanboi’s here, be it intel fanboi’s or nvidia or anet(or all 3 at one)

the game needs optimized.
the game needs balanced.
the game needs debugged.
the game needs the economy fixed.
the game needs content.

but, Im also forgiving in that, I have beta tested MANY mmo’s over the years and worked on the server side of a good number of MMO private servers/shards, so i know how hard it can be to deal with this kinda thing, even private servers sometimes get farmed(if they become to popular), and the are all plagued with at least minor bugs…..

again, I have zero issue with you disliking aspects of the game, or even if you flat out hated it as some of these posters do, but people need to keep it mature and respectful….being a dbag isnt going to get anet to listen, infact its more likely to get you ignored or banned……(as i said, there are a few who are lucky im not forums staff……they would have been on vacation long ago..if not fully banned by now…)

Jazhara Knightmage.4389

Perhaps its because ANet is altering things that should not have been altered after they released it. Mainly the DR system.

As in all MMO’s there will be botters/exploiters etc. They should have tested this system during the BWE and internal weekends. If I knew on beforehand that GW2 would have a similar anti-farm system as GW1, I would have NEVER BOUGHT this game.

oh DR was bad, but, at least they fixed it, i was pretty annoyed by it, took2 days off came back and puttered a bit, then they patched it and it got better, then the next patch seems to have fixed it fully for me.

I dont think they could test it during bwe’s, it likely wasnt even coded at that point.

also, its pretty clear to anybody whos beta tested games, epically mmo’s that this launch was sooner then the dev’s wanted, to many issues that would have been ironed out by some 24/7 server testing where (and some still are) around, yes its anoying but, its not as kittenome games I have played….

if you want bad patching try StarTrekOnline……they deploy patches that have many bugs reported and confirmed on the test server, without fixing the bugs first……many times they fix 1 thingand break 10 others(if not more) its a bloody mess….and its why cryptic wont get any more of my money…….that and insane ship prices….

DR hasnt effected me at all since the last patch, the previous patch mostly fixed it(easy fix then was to just unparty and reparty, not sure why but that seemed to reset it for us)

Posted by: Saruba.7124

Saruba.7124

DR hasnt effected me at all since the last patch……

And therefore anybody that dares to complain is a Dbag right? I don’t mean to put words in your mouth, but thats what it sounds like you are saying. Maybe it hasn’t affected you, thats great I am really happy for you, honestly I am, not being sarcastic. It has affected me, and a lot of others. I guess that means I’m playing the game wrong right? I’m an idiot that should go back and play WoW right? Despite never playing that game.

A lot of the so called QQ threads I see start off with the poster saying I really love this game, but….. and then they are deluged with overt hostility like you have posted. What do you expect the discourse to be like?

Posted by: zaxziakohl.5243

zaxziakohl.5243

I think the problem that makes it appear in this particular game is that you have a group of people who were super-psyched about the game prior to release, and then felt disappointed after it had been out for 1+ weeks, for whatever reason.

I have seen a lot of games come out, but I have never really seen hype quite like it was for this game, and lets face it, when the hype is that high, there are going to be disappointed people.

These particular people went out and paid money for something they were SURE they would love, then played it for a week, and found out the didn’t. Whether it was due to overly high/unrealistic expectations, faults on the part of ANet, or any other number of things, these people are very upset. I don’t think it’s even about the money anymore for them, it’s about the months they spent in anticipation, only to feel a major letdown, regardless of the cause. Give it a few months, and the worst will have subsided.

Posted by: Mastermind.3169

Mastermind.3169

I think most people telling what they feel is wrong is because they want it to be better. Everybody does not find bugs and such fun. Some do not care though, and some people, like the OP, even try their best to talk down on their fellow players. It’s ok though, you’re angry at people that are disappointed.

No Leaf Clover.4893

I think most people telling what they feel is wrong is because they want it to be better. Everybody does not find bugs and such fun. Some do not care though, and some people, like the OP, even try their best to talk down on their fellow players. It’s ok though, you’re angry at people that are disappointed.

Exactly. Though, I’d say OP is more complaining about flame war rather than people complaining.
What I feel about people sticking around here when they quit playing is that this game had a huge sympathy capital, but Anet is slowly diminishing it, by various decisions that don’t suit complainers (including me).
Mind me, I’m not saying all suggestions are good, or that since people paid they should decide. But there are some consensus here that deserve a look.
But yes, this game has a huge potential, and people want it to bloom, no crime in that.
And well, QQers as OP calls them are bad, but I’m surprised the equally horrid “fun brigade” hasn’t shown up yet. These guys do share their part of responsability in the flame war.

No Leaf Clover.4893

from this post your not really the type im talking about, the ones im talking about do not keep it civil, they also insist their opinion is fact and everybody elses opinions are invalid, they are rude, I see many of them get their posts deleted or whole threads removed thanks to them….

I honestly have zero issue with somebody not liking a game and stating that in a mature respectful manner, its the group I think of as "cs kiddies’ (after counter strike kiddies) they are rude and hateful.

if the game you wanted was gw1 on a new engine, thats not gonna happen here, you would be better off looking at torchlight 2 as its closer to the gw1 experiance then gw2 ever will be.

most of the really nasty gw1 posters who hate this game seem almost proud they didnt research the game at all before buying it, and seem to think they are entitled to the game they expected, not the one anet had talked about for something like 2+ years before beta’s started….

some of them on amazon are just as bad as here…..a few even got their posting privileges taken away for their actions(really really out of line)

again, i have no issue with an honest fair critique of the game, I know it has flaws, Im no fanboi, infact, im starting to feel like im one of Anets harshest critics who still loves the game despite its warts…..(keep running into fanboi’s here, be it intel fanboi’s or nvidia or anet(or all 3 at one)

the game needs balanced.
the game needs debugged.
the game needs content.

but, Im also forgiving in that, I have beta tested MANY mmo’s over the years and worked on the server side of a good number of MMO private servers/shards, so i know how hard it can be to deal with this kinda thing, even private servers sometimes get farmed(if they become to popular), and the are all plagued with at least minor bugs…..

again, I have zero issue with you disliking aspects of the game, or even if you flat out hated it as some of these posters do, but people need to keep it mature and respectful….being a dbag isnt going to get anet to listen, infact its more likely to get you ignored or banned……(as i said, there are a few who are lucky im not forums staff……they would have been on vacation long ago..if not fully banned by now…)

Oh, I missed your reply.
Well, about haters, see my post above.
As for the GW1 expectation, I wasn’t in this, I hoped the game, classes, etc, would have more “soul”, and PvE would be more challenging, for example.
And Torchlight 2 is a Diablo-like, so I’m not likely to find a compensation there..
But again, “soul” lacking is a very subjective thing to say, I know; I just don’t have enough vocabulary to explain, I guess, ha ha.

Posted by: Krosslite.1950

Krosslite.1950

cause they can’t handle that a game can be good without the type of content they demand a game to have.

Please note I said game not MMO.

This is the first MMO in a long time that I feel truly deserves the title once again

Warriors are those who choose to stand between their enemy and all that he loves or hold sacred

Posted by: Haragan.8470

Haragan.8470

Maybe because they waited 4+ years, was promised a revolutionary MMO (and they bought the hype), then got this game instead.

Posted by: ravinhood.3981

ravinhood.3981

I have been playing MMO’s since UltimaOnline, and NEVER have i seen so many people who flat out hate the game and have nothing good to say about it, who stick around the forums to say the same hateful comments over and over….

I have seen far worse games get some bad comments, then the people who dont like it move on to the next fotm and stop posting.

If I dont like a game, I dont stick around its forums and QQ about it, I move on, play other games….I may comment letting the company know what I didnt like once, but im not going to stick around and waste time berating people who made the game and people who like/love the game….

Nope I’m with yah also. I feel it’s the Nintendo Game Genie age of gamers come of age who still think there should be a god mode and everything comes easy and within a month or two of play.

I came from the old school game of Everquest where things took YEARS to accomplish and you didn’t level to maximum level in a day or even 2 days like so many of these MMO’s today. These MMO’s today are so candy coated it’s funny. Then it’s funny to actually see some playing whine and complain about it. lol They don’t know what WORK and EARNING something really is.

Jazhara Knightmage.4389

DR hasnt effected me at all since the last patch……

And therefore anybody that dares to complain is a Dbag right? I don’t mean to put words in your mouth, but thats what it sounds like you are saying. Maybe it hasn’t affected you, thats great I am really happy for you, honestly I am, not being sarcastic. It has affected me, and a lot of others. I guess that means I’m playing the game wrong right? I’m an idiot that should go back and play WoW right? Despite never playing that game.

A lot of the so called QQ threads I see start off with the poster saying I really love this game, but….. and then they are deluged with overt hostility like you have posted. What do you expect the discourse to be like?

no your a dbag because of your attitude not because you say DR is effecting you, i have polled people in /m over the past week, havent had anybody say they thought DR was still causing problems, so i guess your very unlucky……very very unlucky….and i seriously asked because i wanted to know if something weird was up sinc ei was back to getting good drops for my level rather then getting “boned” (for days all i got where copper and bones…..)

im not being hostile, your inferring hostility because you dont like what i have to say.

most of those so called “i really love this game but” posts run into rants about how they want core mechanics changed to be more like what they expected(like wanting raids and mounts and such) and when people tell them thats not gonna happen and isnt a good idea the supporters get hostile and rude……

or they want to change the game to be like WoW or GW1…again if most of us wanted WoW or GW1 we would be playing that instead of this……

your welcome to your opinions, but when your rude and hostile about them and not getting your way, that makes you a dbag….

as it stands, DR may not be fully fixed, but for those of us who dont play for 12+hrs strait doing the same things the whole time, dont seem to be getting hit by it anymore…..(From asking around in /m on my server in all the major cities and in at least half a dozen other maps as i roamed around doing map completion stuff…..

if your still having issues im sorry, maybe the best idea would be as suggested to others, take 6 months off, give anet time to get the bugs out, and in the future dont buy MMO’s when they launch wait at lest 6 months so the company behind it has time to fix the issues so you wont go all rageguy over stuff like this.

Posted by: marnick.4305

marnick.4305

the game needs balanced.
the game needs debugged.
the game needs content.

I consider myself part of the 99%, namely the casual and mostly silent majority. So lets run down your list for virtually every other player who’s not hardcore:
the game needs optimized => check. This game is more optimized than any other mmo at launch
the game needs balanced => check. This game is more balanced than any other mmo period, not even considering launch period.
the game needs debugged => check. This game is more bugfree than any other mmo period, let alone at launch.
the game needs the economy fixed => define “fixed”. If you mean “I want my stuff for free” then bad luck. If you mean make legendaries a challenge then check.
the game needs content => check, omg check. This game has more content than any other mmo period. Dynamic events, skill challenges, vistas, interesting crafting, jumping puzzles… I don’t even know where to start when I boot the game.

But that’s just me being a pretty average guy with a job, gf and hobbies. Maybe that influences my point of view but maybe that’s also what the vast majority of players looks like. The only reason I’m vocal is because I used to be one of those “hardcore” entitled gamers playing with a pc they got from Christmas. I do not consider that a good thing anymore.

If I can’t play Guild Wars 2 at work, I won’t work in Guild Wars 2 either.
Delayed content is eventually good. Rushed content is eternally bad. ~ Shigeru Miyamoto

Posted by: Cloudwalkernz.1328

Cloudwalkernz.1328

I assume the OP never visited the WoW or SWTOR forums. A lot of posts in these sites can be described as toxic as best.

I don’t find too many negative posts here and the moderators do a good job keeping the forum under control.

There is a lot of people providing feedback and many are negatives. GW2 is a good game but many (including myself) feel it could do a lot better. People provide feedback because they care about the game. If they don’t care, most people would just move on.

Posted by: Zuggy.4501

Zuggy.4501

What I’ve seen over the years is that MMORPG’s are rare in the fact that it’s the only genre of games where people that hate a particular game, instead of quitting and moving on to something else, will continue to put time and money into it them constantly complain about it.

Now there are some things that are understandable to complain about like bugs or primary functionality being broken, for example, but in every MMO I’ve played since Everquest you will get people who will do nothing but get on the forums and complain about how they hate some major aspect that would drastic changes all the way up to major redesigns of the game, but instead of quitting and looking for a game more suited to their taste they pay for it, play it and complain about it.

Jazhara Knightmage.4389

Nope I’m with yah also. I feel it’s the Nintendo Game Genie age of gamers come of age who still think there should be a god mode and everything comes easy and within a month or two of play.

I came from the old school game of Everquest where things took YEARS to accomplish and you didn’t level to maximum level in a day or even 2 days like so many of these MMO’s today. These MMO’s today are so candy coated it’s funny. Then it’s funny to actually see some playing whine and complain about it. lol They don’t know what WORK and EARNING something really is.

so true, most of these gamers would HATE UO…because it had no levels, it had no real gear progression till we added uniq armor sets on our server, todays gamers would hate that game, because evne using macro apps, it takes weeks to gm skills, and you have to WORK to max them out, collecting resorces to craft, killing stuff to get better with skills……..it was not a game for todays gamers who want to be godlike in a matter of days or at most weeks.

i get that feeling from GW2, even after you max level and get your exotics, your still not uber, no area of the game is 100% safe other then cities…..

but alas, so many of these people expect a game on launch to be in the same shape games that have been out 7-15 years are in….and are all ticked off when its not….

my adivce to them all, NEVER BUY ANOTHER MMO WHEN IT LAUNCHES, WAIT AT LEAST 6 MONTHS, that way you dont have to go all rageguy at all the bugs and problems that will crop up.

ravinhood.3981

I think the problem is that every single day a NEW thread pops up with “I’m dissatisfied or I’m quitting or BOTS everywhere” they really get tiring and I don’t know why they can’t just be put into ONE single thread of their catagory? This way it won’t look like there’s massive negativity threads on the front page. So when someone posts one of these negative thoughts please put them in their appropriate thread and delete the new threads please.

Posted by: Gehenna.3625

Gehenna.3625

I dunno but I’ve seen this on all MMO forums I’ve been to and in comparison to for example SWTOR and Aion, this forum is actually relatively mild.

The reason people stick around is that they can’t deal with their emotion of disappointment. And they get so angry about being disappointed, somebody has to pay for it (very dark side Star Wars if you ask me) and they don’t care who pays the price.

So in the end they hope to kill the enjoyment of other players and hopefully cause the game to fail purely out of a vindictive form of spite. It’s sad really.

I understand disappointment, I certainly understand criticism (I do that myself), but just reiterating the same thing over and over again because you can’t handle your emotions like an adult with a brain is really sad. But it is common on many MMO forums from my experience.

It’s a game forum. The truth is not to be found here.

Posted by: Narkosys.5173

Narkosys.5173

did you consider that people actually want to make the game better?
I hate to tell you but sometimes it takes repeating yourself again and again to get the message through.

Posted by: Vorch.2985

Vorch.2985

I love constructive criticism; that is, criticism with a solution in side that is void of name calling and baiting (saying anyone who disagrees is a “troll” or a “fanboy/fanboi” at the beginning of the post seems to be popular…). Constructive posts, even when controversial, help build the game.

I HATE criticisms that don’t pose a solution or say that it’s ANet’s job to figure out what you want with out you telling them. Those really kitten me off.

Here’s what people thought of GW1 when it first came out: http://tinyurl.com/bntcvyc
“A release is 7 days or less away or has just happened within the last 7 days…
These are the only two states you’ll find the world of Tyria.”

ravinhood.3981

did you consider that people actually want to make the game better?
I hate to tell you but sometimes it takes repeating yourself again and again to get the message through.

No it doesn’t because on a forum your words remain and can even be googled forever an ever. It’s not like a speech platform where your words go into outer space.

Posted by: Gohlar.3671

Gohlar.3671

To be fair, GW2 fans are completely ridiculous on this forum and get very upset whenever someone criticizes the game at all and spew venom and insults. This obviously just makes people hate the game more and causes them to want to keep posting.

If people could be halfway reasonable/realistic about the state of the game things would go a lot better.

I’ve noticed the more ravenous the white knights, the more flawed the game usually is. GW2 has some pretty massive flaws and the defenders, instead of talking about how things can be improved, pretend that it’s always the player’s fault because the game is obviously a flawless creation that can not be improved in any way.

You can’t blame people, especially GW1 fans, for being disappointed. They took a complex, challenging game and turned into one of the simplest, most main stream theme parks ever released.

Posted by: Kasama.8941

Kasama.8941

It’s a mixture of; people who are use to getting their way, if they just complain enough about something. People who stick around because they like to be able to say “I told you so” (e.g. “I told you this game was bad all along!”). And people who just have a hard time letting go, because they grow very attached to games they play.

80 Ranger | 80 Mesmer | 80 Thief | 80 Guardian | 40 Engineer
“The learned is happy, nature to explore. The fool is happy, that he knows no more.”
-Alexander Pope

Posted by: Gehenna.3625

Gehenna.3625

@Narkosys. If you want to make the game better then you can use constructive criticism. There isn’t enough of that because the so called haters just flame Anet and say 20 times that something is crap.

Rarely do we see posts that simply explain (without rampant emotions) what is wrong and why.

Rarely do we see posts with suggestion and simple questions why. Instead it’s “everybody knows” and “Anet doesn’t listen”.

If people were more realistic and actually use arguments rather than flaming opinions then it might actually give Anet a real indication. Now they have to interpret and hope that they get it right.

Also a lot of people think that Anet or any company only listen if you repeat it 100 times. Often enough it simply takes time to implement a change and weigh/test the impact on the game. So the idea that Anet responds to reiteration is an illusion. At least in the form it is now.

Anet can run statistics and see how many individual people are complaining about specific subjects. When you make 100 threads about it, they know it’s you and not 100 people. If the subject remains active and more people get involved in the topic, that is a real indication. Not that the same 20 people repeat themselves but that more individuals agree with it.

So no, reiteration isn’t the key, it’s just an illusion, based on false indicators. Again if I repeat something a 100 times before Anet makes a change, doesn’t mean I need to say something 100 times. I just might mean that they needed a month to decide, create, test, adapt, test and implement. If you had said it once but a long thread with many individuals keeping it active, the end result would’ve been there as well, without people getting any types of heart conditions. Just saying…

It’s a game forum. The truth is not to be found here.

Posted by: Calavera.1086

Calavera.1086

most if not all the complainers had already spent enough time in game to justify 60$.

Posted by: Moderator.6837

Moderator.6837

Hello,

As this thread is getting inflammatory, it is now locked. Please remember to stay constructive on the forum, by posting in a polite tone.

Thank you.