Q: Will GW2 ever come to Steam?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Rawfishmam.5463

Rawfishmam.5463

Q:

It’s a trivial thing really, but just saying that there’s a lot of people there that don’t know that GW2 is F2P now.
It would also boost some of the servers who are kinda on the low side.

Posted by: Blude.6812

Blude.6812

A:

Nope! Been asked and covered already. You have to use google to search for the threads since the forum is borked.

Posted by: Jake Orion.2049

Jake Orion.2049

Considering TERA recently went to steam and their player count EXPLODED once they did that, it wouldn’t surprise me in the least if Anet is at least in talks with Valve about the potential of doing this.

Posted by: PyrateSilly.4710

PyrateSilly.4710

They want 30% of any revenue that a game generates. I doubt that GW2 will be on steam anytime soon.

Posted by: Wildkitten.3872

Wildkitten.3872

Considering Valve wants a pretty large percentage of ANY transactions any game on Steam takes I would say it’s highly unlikely.

TERA was suffering before making the move, GW2 is doing well. There is no incentive to go to Steam.

Jaina Kitten, Level 80 Elementalist, Main
Yak’s Bend – Expletus

Jake Orion.2049

Not so sure with above comments anymore. Steam has been hosting many F2P mmo’s lately and you don’t need to pay a cent for any of the P2W gear or P4C (Pay for Costuming) so how do they make money off of these?

Now, if steam was hosting the servers, that I can understand a bit, but many of their products are nothing more than links that download off game manufacture servers (at least from what I can tell; it seems Steam is very secretive about such.)

Never mind. Wiki was very good about explaining it:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steam_%28software%29

(edited by Jake Orion.2049)

Wildkitten.3872

Not so sure with above comments anymore. Steam has been hosting many F2P mmo’s lately and you don’t need to pay a cent for any of the P2W gear or P4C (Pay for Costuming) so how do they make money off of these?

Now, if steam was hosting the servers, that I can understand a bit, but many of their products are nothing more than links that download off game manufacture servers (at least from what I can tell; it seems Steam is very secretive about such.)

No, Steam is not secretive about it. They are very upfront. Just because a game is F2P does not mean that Steam does not take a cut from any transaction occurring on that game.

If GW2 was on Steam, any time anyone bought gems, Steam would get a percentage of that sale.

Yak’s Bend – Expletus

Jake Orion.2049

If GW2 was on Steam, any time anyone bought gems, Steam would get a percentage of that sale.

So the question comes down to simple economics: is it worth placing the game on Steam for the potential of a larger player base that will purchase gems (and share that profit with steam) or is it better to keep the current setup?

Which one will make more money?

Wildkitten.3872

So the question comes down to simple economics: is it worth placing the game on Steam for the potential of a larger player base that will purchase gems (and share that profit with steam) or is it better to keep the current setup?

Which one will make more money?

For a game like TERA that was struggling, yes. For a game like GW2, no.

At this point it’s highly unlikely computer gamers don’t know about GW2. Surely anyone who keeps up with online gaming enough to know about Steam already knows about GW2. It would be highly unlikely being on Steam would bring any significant numbers of new people to the game than already come to it in the normal fashion.

Yak’s Bend – Expletus