QoL: Character Creator Randomizer Button

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: toksiks.2640

toksiks.2640

Most MMOs have a button that randomizes the look at the character creator. For me and many others who don’t like spending half an hour perfecting their characters, this button helps a lot. It’s nothing big of course, but still a QoL. What I also like about that button is that sometimes the character randomizes in a very unique way that I would probably never imagine to set it. In my opinion, many choose to not use markings, tattoos and such features, but stick to the safe options, thus making very common and bland looks. If we had this button, IMHO, it would really diverse the looks of our characters. This button may also be added to the Makeover Kit.

(edited by toksiks.2640)

Posted by: Carter.1034

Carter.1034

This button already exists. When you first press the create button, there is a button at the bottom-right called “skip to end” (you have to hover over that corner first). This makes everything randomized except for the name, which you choose at the end.

Posted by: FrostSpectre.4198

FrostSpectre.4198

This button already exists. When you first press the create button, there is a button at the bottom-right called “skip to end” (you have to hover over that corner first). This makes everything randomized except for the name, which you choose at the end.

It’ll randomize your race, gender, profession and background only.

It doesn’t randomize your appearance at all.
It’ll be stock appearance. As in the appearance you get when you choose a profession. This initial appearance is always same on each race and profession.
Some might even mistake you for a botter, since there are quite many bot users just using the skip function.

But yeah, perhaps they should make randomizer to affect appearance too.

I’m a casual PvE adventurer, I enjoy combat, adventure and helping, but not farming.
I rarely do PvP or Hard PvE, unless it’s organized.

(edited by FrostSpectre.4198)

Posted by: toksiks.2640

toksiks.2640

It’ll randomize your race, gender and background only.

It’ll be stock appearance. As in the appearance you get when you choose a profession.
Some might even mistake you for a botter, since there are quite many bot users just using the skip function.

On top of that, you might not like the first appearance that gets generated, so you may want to use the button a few more times, which wouldn’t work in this case.

Posted by: Becka Williams.4978

Becka Williams.4978

It’ll randomize your race, gender and background only.

It’ll be stock appearance. As in the appearance you get when you choose a profession.

On top of that, you might not like the first appearance that gets generated, so you may want to use the button a few more times, which wouldn’t work in this case.

It seems to me that if you reuse a random button till you get what you like, then it’s not truly random.

Posted by: FrostSpectre.4198

FrostSpectre.4198

Didn’t people get it:

• It doesn’t randomize the appearance, skip button only randomizes race, gender, profession and background.

On top of it, you have to exit creation to get another random race, gender, profession and background, since you get same stuff if you just scrolled back to step 1 and pressed skip button again.

I’m a casual PvE adventurer, I enjoy combat, adventure and helping, but not farming.
I rarely do PvP or Hard PvE, unless it’s organized.

Posted by: StinVec.3621

StinVec.3621

+1

It was a very good tool for quickly discovering the many possibilities available to us for creating a character.

It is a shame that the character creator took a step backward. I honestly cannot recall the last rpg I played that did not have a randomize button on the character creator. It was quite saddening to find that we had to mess around for an hour manually changing each face/hair/pattern/tattoo and other elements in each possible color, and then mess with each slider individually to get a different effect to end up with something we like.

I have always liked the randomize button for character creation found in pretty much all other mmogs/rpgs (GW1 especially). I really liked flipping through random combinations until something caught my eye as being interesting or a combination I hadn’t thought of or already tried. I would then tweak the randomized character to give it my personal touch and get it to look how I would like while retaining the base combination of randomized elements that caught my eye in the first place.

| [“I’d really like this…” — Resource for Gifting Strangers] |
| [Free Ports For All “Not So Secret” JP Needs (and 1st Try Dive Tips)] |
| [Classic Thread: “all is vain”] |