QoL Linked Accounts

QoL Linked Accounts

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Zelanard.5806

Zelanard.5806

My ol’ man, I myself and a few other people I know of, have more than one guild wars 2 account. With the mail sending limitations, it is tedious to transfer materials from one account to another. Sure, I have 150 guild bank slots in my own little private guild, but that really doesn’t make it much less tedious, because hey, we can’t double click the materials to move them to the guild bank and we have to run to the guild bank from the crafting bench whenever we need stuff, and we need to do so more than once.

I would like to propose the suggestion, that an option be made for a linked material storage.
This should have two functions:

Right click material function
Give an option when right clicking on a material in the material storage, to move it to a linked accounts material storage, if there is room therein, if there is not, the remaining material should stay where it is. Just as when you move materials from your inventory to your material storage.

Deposit All Materials to [Account name]
This should do the exact same thing as Deposit All Materials, except it should move it to the other account.

An alternative could be that one account could see the other accounts banks and material storage, but I personally think that’d be overkill.

What do you think?

When commenting on a suggestion:
Leave it to A-net to decide whether the suggestion is possible or not.

QoL Linked Accounts

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

It’s been mentioned before and as a person with more than one account I would certainly benefit, but there are problems.

Items in the two accounts would then belong to both, yet what if it’s two married people’s accounts that then divorce? Can the two accounts unlink? How do you separate the items, especially if one person “loots” the linked storage. Also, what about hacked accounts that now have access to items sent over from a non hacked account.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

QoL Linked Accounts

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

The CS Team has always indicated that this is not something that is, nor will be, offered. Probably for the same reasons that are an issue with Guild banks, etc. I’m sure that players would not desire to have Material Storage and account bank left out of Account Restoration, as Guild banks are.

I know I would not give up that feature to share accounts.

Good luck.

Edit: Missing words/replacements

(edited by Inculpatus cedo.9234)

QoL Linked Accounts

Posted by: Randulf.7614

Randulf.7614

^
Did you mean “is not something that is, or will be, offered”

QoL Linked Accounts

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Oh, indeed I did. It’s early for me. Sorry.

QoL Linked Accounts

Zelanard.5806

The CS Team has always indicated that this is not something that is, nor will be, offered. Probably for the same reasons that are an issue with Guild banks, etc. I’m sure that players would not desire to have Material Storage and account bank left out of Account Restoration, as Guild banks are.

Good luck.

Sharing and linking accounts is wildly different… We’re not talking a complete link, but a link of the same model as the guild bank…

QoL Linked Accounts

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Ok, if for nothing other than having the bank, and material storage disallowed from Account Restoration, it would not be something many would desire, I imagine.

Again, I doubt the CS Team would relish all the problems something like this would engender.

Still, good luck.

QoL Linked Accounts

Just a flesh wound.3589

Good luck.

Sharing and linking accounts is wildly different… We’re not talking a complete link, but a link of the same model as the guild bank…

If it’s a joined storage then it’s going to have the same problems as a guild bank. Items in the guild bank don’t belong to anyone and a shared storage will also belong to both people.

1) if hacked and the contents stolen, they’re gone for good.
2) in a dispute if one side takes all, the other side has no recourse from support to get it back.
3) if your child or “evil younger brother” or your drunk/inconsiderate spouse takes all the items, you will have no recourse.
4) in the cases where both parties exit the linked storage (malicious hacker, angry ex, etc) the contents are lost for good.

ANet may give it to you.

QoL Linked Accounts

Zelanard.5806

Ok, if for nothing other than having the bank, and material storage disallowed from Account Restoration, it would not be something many would desire, I imagine.

Again, I doubt the CS Team would relish all the problems something like this would engender.

Still, good luck.

Being a member of a guild, does not block you from having your account restored. Since this would use the same functions, this wouldn’t either.

QoL Linked Accounts

Inculpatus cedo.9234

It does for anything in the Guild bank, personal or otherwise. That’s why I don’t put valuable things there.

QoL Linked Accounts

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

I think that’s a lot of work that I’d rather see devoted to figuring out how to increase personal storage options. It benefits those with multiple accounts, without doing a thing for the majority who own only one. It creates all sorts of potential support complications, including making it easier for hackers to divert resources from stolen accounts.

If ANet is going to add storage capacity, I’d rather they do it for primary accounts, since every player owns at least one.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

QoL Linked Accounts

Zelanard.5806

Good luck.

If it’s a joined storage then it’s going to have the same problems as a guild bank. Items in the guild bank don’t belong to anyone and a shared storage will also belong to both people.

2) in a dispute if one side takes all, the other side has no recourse from support to get it back.
3) if your child or “evil younger brother” or your drunk/inconsiderate spouse takes all the items, you will have no recourse.
4) in the cases where both parties exit the linked storage (malicious hacker, angry ex, etc) the contents are lost for good.

Since it’s a linked account, and since Anet does not support activated account’s to switch ownership, there shouldn’t be a way to exit it.
If you’re linking your account to an account that is not your own, (your spouse, child, sibling, friend or kitten) you’d be violating the purpose of the whole thing.
Thus there would be no disputes, because you do not have disputes with yourself.

But since my original suggestion didn’t actually give any shared storage space, but only the ability to send materials freely, this wouldn’t be any problem at all…

QoL Linked Accounts

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

Players can use their guild banks to transfer items between their accounts. I move a little over 180 stacks of materials between my accounts weekly and have had no issues. At one point I was doing 300+. I’m pretty sure that I’m in the very very small minority of players that transfer this many materials on a consistent basis.

Being able to double-click materials in or out of the guild bank would be nice so long as it doesn’t also merge stacks (e.g. Stack of 100 and stack of 150 into a single stack).

QoL Linked Accounts

Just a flesh wound.3589

Good luck.

Since it’s a linked account, and since Anet does not support activated account’s to switch ownership, there shouldn’t be a way to exit it.
If you’re linking your account to an account that is not your own, (your spouse, child, sibling, friend or kitten) you’d be violating the purpose of the whole thing.
Thus there would be no disputes, because you do not have disputes with yourself.

But since my original suggestion didn’t actually give any shared storage space, but only the ability to send materials freely, this wouldn’t be any problem at all…

And just how is ANet going to stop people from linking? Many family accounts were bought with the same credit card or the same person can use different credit cards to buy multiple accounts. Anet would need to actually take the time to verify that each account is owned by one person and used only by one person before they allow the link.

ANet may give it to you.

QoL Linked Accounts

Zelanard.5806

Good luck.

And just how is ANet going to stop people from linking? Many family accounts were bought with the same credit card or the same person can use different credit cards to buy multiple accounts. Anet would need to actually take the time to verify that each account is owned by one person and used only by one person before they allow the link.

My point is: if people loose people on linking accounts, it’s their own problem that they use the system in a way that is not supported…

QoL Linked Accounts

Just a flesh wound.3589

Good luck.

My point is: if people loose people on linking accounts, it’s their own problem that they use the system in a way that is not supported…

And how many people will be aware of this and not contact support when things go wrong? It will be a lot more work for support as inevitably spouses and friends will link and children or angry exes will access accounts and remove items from the shared storage.

ANet may give it to you.

QoL Linked Accounts

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

Still, good luck.

Being a member of a guild, does not block you from having your account restored. Since this would use the same functions, this wouldn’t either.

Being a guild member doesn’t stop you having your account restored, but anything in the guild bank is not included. That applies even if you’re the only member of the guild (on just 1 account) – it’s still considered shared storage and not part of your account.

According to CS responses from previous times this has been suggested if account banks were linked, or even just part of it like the material storage – exactly the same would apply – if someone gets hacked and everything is removed then it’s gone forever.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

QoL Linked Accounts

Just a flesh wound.3589

While this is something I would personally love to have, shared belongings belonging to no one will cause problems. It will be no safer than a guild bank but presumably, since it will be a gem store purchase, people will assume that they can put their valuables in it. Inevitably the day will come when some of them will find their items gone and unrecoverable. It will be a support nightmare then explaining to them why their gemstore purchase made their items unsafe.

ANet may give it to you.

QoL Linked Accounts

Posted by: Kaltyn of Torbins Deep.2946

Kaltyn of Torbins Deep.2946

Make it one-way. If I have 2 accounts and I link them, then I can “deposit” stuff into account 2 when I am logged into account 1. And when I’m logged into account 2, I can only deposit stuff into account 1. That way there is no way for account 2 to steal the stuff from account 1…unless account 2 is actually a different person and you give that person your password and they log in as you. But THAT would be a violation of the user agreement I do believe. And seriously…if you’re in the middle of a divorce, you probably have bigger fish to fry than the spouse stealing all your mystic coins.

QoL Linked Accounts

Posted by: Neural.1824

Neural.1824

I don’t know if linking on that level is needed, but it would be nice to be able to launch various accounts from the patcher, similar to how CCP has Eve Online setup.

Where are my gem sales? I want gem sales! Nerf EVERYTHING!

QoL Linked Accounts

Just a flesh wound.3589

I don’t know if linking on that level is needed, but it would be nice to be able to launch various accounts from the patcher, similar to how CCP has Eve Online setup.

You can look at Launchbuddy and see if it’s what you’re looking for. It allows multiple accounts to be opened.

ANet may give it to you.

QoL Linked Accounts

Posted by: Kaltyn of Torbins Deep.2946

Kaltyn of Torbins Deep.2946

Use Launchbuddy. I can’t recommend it strong enough.