QoL suggestions for character select screen

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Steelpusher.1684

Steelpusher.1684

After deciding it was finally time to get my huntsman crafting up to 500 in order to make ascended bows and guns, I had a hard time trying to find which character of my many had huntsman up at around level 425. Fifth time round, after 5 LA loading screen times, I found the character.
I was discussing it with my guild, about how some things would be really useful on the character select screen, and so it got me thinking.

My suggestions that would improve QoL massively for players are as so:

Daily achievements (especially useful if you want to dive into PvP first thing, instead of taking a potshot or researching it beforehand)

Crafting practices and level for the selected character (good for when you want to grind some crafting levels or make the occasional thing)

Maybe an equipment/build preview? (for me, with many alts, not all of them have the correct, if any, ascended trinkets and gear because they frequently get moved about)

I know there are ways around all these, but these would be major QoL features for me, and probably many other people. The third point is more put in there as it would be a useful tool, but not as big a QoL feature imho.

What do you guys think?

Steel

Posted by: Kasima.8143

Kasima.8143

Let me add something :

The character screen has a ton of wasted space.

Get rid of the useless banner on the right of the screen.
The left of the screen should be used to display character clots. You could easily fit 20 character slots in there without needing to scroll.
Then, disable the character slots changing position. Characters should be in fixed positions to make it easy to intuitively reach the character you want. (Or make them manually reorder-able)
Then in the middle of the screen, display the full character preview.
Then on the right side of the screen, display character info and everything you suggested.
You can add a button on the character screen for account-wide info. A button to see the content of your your trading post delivery box would be a nice addition too.

(And make the character sick when you spin it around too much.)

(edited by Kasima.8143)

Posted by: JNetRocks.3652

JNetRocks.3652

Great idea. I agree, that there is just a lot of wasted space or unnecessary information. As Kasima said, there is plenty of room we could see 20+ characters instead of having to scroll past the first 7 as well.

Posted by: Clyan.1593

Clyan.1593

There’s still a lot of possible improvement to do with this game. This is one of them and i support it. Worst thing imo with actual character screen is the background, it’s so cheap, so dull, like the work of an amateur. It feels like a beta placeholder…

“Bagh Nakh! Bagh Nakh!”
– Dark Lord of Moshpoipoi

Posted by: Steelpusher.1684

Steelpusher.1684

There’s still a lot of possible improvement to do with this game. This is one of them and i support it. Worst thing imo with actual character screen is the background, it’s so cheap, so dull, like the work of an amateur. It feels like a beta placeholder…

Now imagine if the beta log-in screen was used as the background….

Posted by: Gulesave.5073

Gulesave.5073

What about just having a little (optional) text field for notes on each character? You could put in whatever is important to you. “Armorsmith,” “Dungeons,” “Venomshare,” etc.

I should be writing.