Quality-of-Life thing: Depositable Mats

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Lelling.6795

Lelling.6795

So I made a post about AoE circles a week ago, and now I’m gonna try to address another very popular topic when it comes to in-game grumbles about easy fixes that would make the game a lot better.

This one is pretty simple, there is a small number of materials which have existed for a while but they haven’t been added to the Material Storage / Collectibles tab / whatevs you wanna call it ^^

The materials I’ve heard mentioned so far were:

• Blade Shards (oh god please)
  • Foxfire Clusters (because why not?)
  • Vision Crystals (both regular and lesser)
  • Clay Bricks

A lot of players consistently complain about at least the first two on the list cluttering their inventories, many just opting to sell the Foxfire Clusters. Those of us who need blade shards usually have a stack building up on every character, or have to make the obligatory visit to the bank after each adventure.
Vision Crystals are a different story, but since they can be gotten form unsolicited sources (looking at you Mawdrey), they can quickly turn into clutter if players don’t need them at that very moment.

People also consistently mention Mystic Forge components, like Mystic Clovers, Mystic Forge Stones, Crystals, Philosopher Stones, etc, some even mention rarer items like the Assault Knight Power Cores, while others speak of madness such as having a tab for the Agony Infusions :O

EDIT: People have also mentioned an extended list of Chef/cooking ingredients, i.e. the halfway ingredients that Chefs can produce.

What are your thoughts on these? Did I forget to mention something that should be depositable? What do you think about the Mystic Forge stuff? Discussion magic commence!

Cyan Vei | whole bunch of other alts
[DV] Leader, OpenCommunity admin

(edited by Lelling.6795)

Posted by: khani.4786

khani.4786

Another that needs a slot is Clay Bricks.

Posted by: Chameleon Dude.1564

Chameleon Dude.1564

Don’t forget all the ingredients that Chefs make!

Posted by: Pockets.3201

Pockets.3201

But how will they get you to buy more storage space if they do that?

Posted by: ScribeTheMad.7614

ScribeTheMad.7614

What I want to know is why blade shards are account bound in the first place?
Having missed that portion of the LS I was left sticking a character in the Gendarran Fields JP to farm 2 a day. Over time I added more characters across alt accounts, either forgetting or not realizing they were account bound.
That feeling when you hit enough to make your backpiece, only to realize you can’t because they’re locked spread across 3 accounts.

As for the rest of it, yeah, storage for a lot of things would be really really nice.

“The short answer is that new content is not going to drive people away from the game.
There is absolutely no evidence to support that it would.” -AnthonyOrdon

Posted by: starlinvf.1358

starlinvf.1358

Having missed that portion of the LS I was left sticking a character in the Gendarran Fields JP to farm 2 a day. Over time I added more characters across alt accounts, either forgetting or not realizing they were account bound.
That feeling when you hit enough to make your backpiece, only to realize you can’t because they’re locked spread across 3 accounts.

As for the rest of it, yeah, storage for a lot of things would be really really nice.

Because the majority of LS materials are account bound to encourage you to farm the events rather then buy them.

Whats more concerning is the fact you have 3 account……

Posted by: TheGrimm.5624

TheGrimm.5624

You have a good list and extended list here for materials expansion. Also Augur stones and other items needed for crafting. Concur on the Chef items that are both items and ingredients for additional recipes.

GW/PoTBS/WAR/Rift/WAR/GW2/CU

De Mortuis Nil Nisi Bonum.

Posted by: ScribeTheMad.7614

ScribeTheMad.7614

Because the majority of LS materials are account bound to encourage you to farm the events rather then buy them.

Whats more concerning is the fact you have 3 account……

I have 6 actually, just 3 involved in blade shards. Which were common as dirt from what I understand while the events ran, so it didn’t make any sense then, and doesn’t make any sense now given how little avenue there is to get them after the fact.

“The short answer is that new content is not going to drive people away from the game.
There is absolutely no evidence to support that it would.” -AnthonyOrdon

Posted by: Lelling.6795

Lelling.6795

Added the clay bricks & cooking stuff.

I think the Blade Shards being account bound is a good question. It definitely seems very arbitrary, how certain things, like Blade Shards, are account bound, while others, like Foxfire Clusters or even Clay Bricks, which serve a similar purpose, aren’t.

Cyan Vei | whole bunch of other alts
[DV] Leader, OpenCommunity admin

(edited by Lelling.6795)

Posted by: Bawi.9541

Bawi.9541

Don’t forget all the ingredients that Chefs make!

Agree with the idea. Chef right now is a huge headache if you are crafting heaps of highly refined food with multiple steps.
I can see some of them being assumed to be placed in the account bank (vision crystals), because of the low frequency you acquire them. But I’m all for more convenience/accessibility.

Ele / Guardian

Posted by: Redemer.2601

Redemer.2601

personally I would like all the crafting stuff but that might be to much
and I dont understand why charged Quartz is accound bound

Posted by: CaelestiaEmpyrea.2617

CaelestiaEmpyrea.2617

As to the list of mats the OP listed, I have to disagree on 3/4 of them. Foxfire Clusters, Clay Bricks, and Blade Shards are NOT general crafting mats, but specific items used for only a specific item (Mawdrey and Spinal Backblades). Once you have your finished item, the mats are of no further use unless you want multiples. Each dedicated slot for Materials takes up more data storage that Anet has to pay for. Even if your account has none of the item, the data space for the material must still be reserved with a “0” in it. So for the LS-related items, I have to say NO to Material Storage.

I agree that vision crystals should have a Materials slot (well, 2 slots actually), as should Mystic Clovers and any of the Mystic Forge vendor materials. I also think that you should be able to access your bank at the Mystic Forge, instead of having to pull out the items before hand.

On the topic of cooking materials, I have mixed feelings. I would like to see any cooking material that is not consumable get it’s own spot in Material Storage. BUT again, that would involve more data storage, and therefore more cost on Anet’s part. Add to that the fact that Cooking is the 1 craft that has more materials and recipes than any other, and is continuing to add MORE recipes and materials, and I completely understand why Anet has left cooking as it is.

Posted by: starlinvf.1358

starlinvf.1358

personally I would like all the crafting stuff but that might be to much
and I dont understand why charged Quartz is accound bound

It was to enforce the time gating restriction on them. Thankfully they didn’t do that with end product Ascended mats; which made its adoption a LOT easier then if they bottle necked it on the daily.

Posted by: Mirai Okumori.6205

Mirai Okumori.6205

Do you know about the forge recipe to make shards? That’s how I’ve been getting more than to a day without doing the jp.

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Blade_Shard

Posted by: Muusic.2967

Muusic.2967

I think they draw a line between “Crafting Material” and “Crafting Component” although i’m not sure how they come to the decision of which is which. The only class that has recipes for both is Chef but as far as I can tell if it’s linked to a particular LS item it’s not considered a “material”.

Which leaves us to ponder why those Pristine Toxic Spore Samples that grow in Kessex Hills ever made it in as a depositable item, and the tinfoil hat brigade would suggest that it’s probably just another way they get you to buy more bag space.

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Cost-of-Bag-Slots-is-too-High/page/2#post5344091

Be who you are and say what you feel for those who mind dont matter and those who matter dont mind
~Dr. Seuss

Posted by: Zephyra.4709

Zephyra.4709

Absolutely 100% agreed with everything OP has pin-pointed on.

Especially half-way chef ingredients like Ball of Dough, as an example… Jeeze.

I am making my own list of things I believe would be nice QoL features that I think should’ve been made base-line in the first place.

Posted by: Mortifer.2946

Mortifer.2946

The problem with blade shards is that you need hoards of it to craft the backpiece. They should really address them. The same as with the cores for shiny ascended version of the backpiece.