Quality-of-Life thing: Makeover Kits

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Lelling.6795

Lelling.6795

Ok, so I’ve mentioned depositable mats last week, here’s another super simple thing that a lot of people who are altoholics have been mentioning might be a good idea.

People who like making characters will probably, during some point in their GW2 experience, find themselves thinking “Oh, I sure wish I could preview all the faces, hairstyles and colours you can get via the makeover kits during character creation.”

Why not make these kits (hairstyle & makeover kits) consumables that store in the player’s wallet? This makes them – 1. take less space in your bank, 2. easier to store & access, 3. able to be accessed from character creation.

Additionally, making it possible for us to at least see the locked hairstyles, dyes & faces during character creation, even if we’re not able to use them, would probably tease them more prominently to players who don’t go online to see them, resulting in more people wanting to buy them.

Cyan Vei | whole bunch of other alts
[DV] Leader, OpenCommunity admin

Posted by: ScribeTheMad.7614

ScribeTheMad.7614

Personally I feel it’s about time the current set of makeover kit options were dumped into the base set, and a new set of new stuff added to kits. It’s about time the base sets saw some sort of update.

That said, I like the idea, it’s been mentioned before here and there, and the concern is always someone grabbing a single element from the kit without noticing and burning a total kit on accident.
But maybe if they had a toggle you manually unlock to see the options, so you acknowledge you know you’re working with a kit.
Possibly even have a separate “Accept” and “Use Kit” buttons.
I think it could work, and it would really be nice to see those options up front.

“The short answer is that new content is not going to drive people away from the game.
There is absolutely no evidence to support that it would.” -AnthonyOrdon

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

Someone else proposed an idea I like better:

• NPCs that allow anyone to preview hair or total makeover changes, without owning a kit.

Not only would this be a great convenience, I think it would be likely to increase sales of the kits.

GW1 has this, as well as other games. As I recall it, they can even setup a link to the gem shop, if you want to pay for changing your looks to the preview.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Posted by: Solandri.9640

Solandri.9640

• NPCs that allow anyone to preview hair or total makeover changes, without owning a kit.

This would work well if they set it up like the item transmutation system. You can preview all you want, but to make the change permanent you have to consume a transmutation charge. If you have 0 transmutation charges, you can preview but can’t make any changes.

This also eliminates having to keep makeover kits in the bank. They’ll just be a number in your account wallet like with transmutation charges.

Also the price needs to come way down to encourage more use. At its current price (250 gems, 200 gems in a 5-pack, or about $3), you’ll only buy it if you want to make a permanent change to your character. If they dropped the price to about 20-50 gems, I think enough people would buy them in bulk to change their characters’ appearance every couple weeks that this could become one of their best selling items.

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

Also the price needs to come way down to encourage more use. At its current price (250 gems, 200 gems in a 5-pack, or about $3), you’ll only buy it if you want to make a permanent change to your character. If they dropped the price to about 20-50 gems, I think enough people would buy them in bulk to change their characters’ appearance every couple weeks that this could become one of their best selling items.

I am sure you are correct that people would buy more at 50 gems each. However, I doubt very much if the community as a whole would buy four or five times as many as are currently sold. (Of course, I don’t have any access to the metrics ANet uses to determine pricing, so maybe enough people who never buy any now would buy a few, to make up for the loss of revenue.)

Instead, I think a ton of people would use stockpiled or free gems, without having much impact on gold:gem ratios or gem sales.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Posted by: Haleydawn.3764

Haleydawn.3764

Elaborating on the cost, why not increase the price of the kit to 500-800 gems but allow for it to have charges instead, the higher price would make more people reach for their irl wallets rather than the
gold->gemtab.
Gw2 is a for profit business afterall.

Kitten.

(edited by Haleydawn.3764)

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

Wallets are for currency, not items.

Now I don’t have a problem if the Character Creator grayed out the faces, eye and hair color and hair styles the kits have to encourage players to buy them, the way minis, finishers and mail carriers are

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

Posted by: Laraley.7695

Laraley.7695

Hm, I would like a new button being added that would take you to a virtual warderobe with every single skin, hairstyle, eye colour…just everything that you could preview and on top of that it would also tell you where to get the specific thing. But I guess too much work.

Posted by: Pandaman.4758

Pandaman.4758

Just to throw in my two cents, but it would also be wonderful if hair/makeover kits actually filled the entire screen or allowed us to resize the window so we can get a better look at our changes.

Posted by: SirDrygan.1823

SirDrygan.1823

Ok, so I’ve mentioned depositable mats last week, here’s another super simple thing that a lot of people who are altoholics have been mentioning might be a good idea.

People who like making characters will probably, during some point in their GW2 experience, find themselves thinking “Oh, I sure wish I could preview all the faces, hairstyles and colours you can get via the makeover kits during character creation.”

Why not make these kits (hairstyle & makeover kits) consumables that store in the player’s wallet? This makes them – 1. take less space in your bank, 2. easier to store & access, 3. able to be accessed from character creation.

Additionally, making it possible for us to at least see the locked hairstyles, dyes & faces during character creation, even if we’re not able to use them, would probably tease them more prominently to players who don’t go online to see them, resulting in more people wanting to buy them.

don’t go give them anymore ideas……. they may just do it…..