Question For The Community

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Demonic.9852

Demonic.9852

So I ran into this problem while playing Guild Wars 1 earlier today, and I wanted to ask the community of 2 about it.

Guild Wars 2 has been with alot of us for some extraordinary years now. However while running around farming to improve my HoM, a guildie of 1 was debating with me about how GW2 should’ve been called anything BUT Guild Wars.

They based this claim around how GW1 was originally built around the pvp system of GvG and GW2 was simply too different from the original. They then claimed that calling 2 anything else, would not have killed the community of 1 as bad and may have actually allowed Anet to continue developement for 1. (brief summary of a 40 minute conversation)

So in all honesty, I am wondering what the community of 2 players think, because like myself, some of you have been apart of Anet’s creation since the very beginning of Guild Wars 1. If some Arenanet people would like to throw their opinions in as well, then please do.

Posted by: reapex.8546

reapex.8546

Anet, decided to scrap the Guild Wars 1 Expansion Utopia and replace it for GW2. A lot of what they wanted to do for Utopia was better place in a new game. However, some elements of Utopia were included in Eye of the North. My opinion, in short, Anet didn’t kill the GW1 community imo. People in general like new things in life, GW2 was the new shiny.

Posted by: Chuck.8196

Chuck.8196

IMO Guild Wars 2 follows all the lore of Guild Wars and actually dives even deeper into Tyria than anything Guild Wars did. Sure, there is no GvG yet but everything else remains.

Even if it had a different name just as many people would have still left. Guild Wars ran for 7 years before GW2 released. It has a different engine and action-combat which is what set it apart and made it a great MMO. Lack of players did not drive Anet away from more GW1 content. They had a new expansion planned for GW1 but wanted different engine and decided to push for something else. Instead we got GW2. That and, well, it had its run.

a·chieve·ment – a thing done successfully, typically by effort, courage, or skill
re·ward – a thing given in recognition of one’s service, effort, or achievement
en·ti·tle·ment – the belief one is inherently deserving of privileges or special treatment

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

I think they’re confusing two different things. Development on GW1 would have stopped no matter what Anet’s next game was called. Maybe if they’d decided to make something small and simple like a phone game or a puzzle game they could have done both, but an MMORPG takes a lot of work from a lot of people so they couldn’t keep 2 going at once.

Especially because GW1 relied on selling boxes copies to make a profit, which meant they had to keep producing new campaigns or expansions quickly to keep the company going, and that takes a lot of people so it’s a vicious circle. They’ve never out-right said it but I strongly suspect part of the reason for the decision to make a new game was that they were finding that business model was unworkable in the long-run.

Likewise I think a big part of the reason they decided to call it Guild Wars 2 was so they could keep the world and the lore they’d already created and just adapt it instead of starting from scratch. World building is a huge part of creating any fantasy. Amateur writers are often warned off starting with fantasy for exactly that reason – before you can do anything you’ve got to create a whole world, and then you’ve got to persuade readers to be interested in that as well as your story. It’s a huge amount of extra work compared to using something they’re already familiar with (like your existing franchise).

Secondly GW1 wasn’t built around Guild v. Guild – it was built around PvE and PvP going hand-in-hand. When the game first came out there was no option to make a PvP-only character and the two modes weren’t as separate. There was no PvP in PvE maps, but you had to level in PvE and then you’d unlock arenas as you reached them (the ones now used for random arenas) and compete in them until you out-levelled it, by which point you should have reached the next one by playing through the story.

Eventually you’d complete the Rite of Ascension and gain access to Heroes Ascent (which at the time was accessed through the Tomb of the Primeval Kings, some people still call it Tombs or Tombing for that reason). Then winning that gained you access to the PvE end-game zones: The Fissure of Woe and the Underworld, as well as a chance to get a Celestial Sigil and therefore a guild hall (which was required to hold Guild vs. Guild battles).

They started changing that pretty much from release as they discovered that some people only wanted to play PvP and others only wanted PvE and the ones who did want both wanted more choice over what they did. Which ended up with both the system we had in GW1 where you could create a PvP-only character and access all the PvP modes right from the start, or access all PvE areas without doing PvP and lead to the system we had in GW2 right from day 1 where the two were kept separate.

In lore the actual Guild Wars were ended with The Searing (so the only part of the game that takes place during that period is the tutorial for Prophecies). After that guilds were banned from owning or controlling land on mainland Tyria -which is why all the guild halls are islands – and their battles were restricted to those islands and the Mists. Then Zhaitan rose and the islands were flooded, but the battles in the Mists have continued – in the form of World vs. World and PvP in GW2.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Posted by: WARIORSCHARGEING.2637

WARIORSCHARGEING.2637

at best worst cases all the two games share is the name of guild wars and is not even the

same games at all even . case in point in the original guild wars . you could leave towns of

people behind and for get them all . and enjoy good maps with no meta junk or events

junk and not even be bothered by other people at all even . thus making guild wars 2

a major insult to Guild Wars its self very honestly which make me enjoy the first

Guild Wars even more so then this game Guild Wars2 . and when i come across

these people that want to pm me they just find themselves blocked as time is far

more better spent working on what the games have to offer in way of pve content

and when it comes to lore Guild Wars2 honestly really does not have any lore hardly

at all even . even tho people will try to make the clams it does .

no new system upgrades coming

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

From my point of view, the OP only really tells half the story.

Guild Wars 1 was originally envisioned as a PvP centered game, with a PvE tutorial. However, as the game progressed, it changed drastically to the point where the last two expansions did very little for PvE.

I’m guessing more people PvE’d than Anet had expected, even as end game, or less people by percentage PvPed.

When Anet launched Guild Wars 2, they didn’t really talk about PvP or even WvW for a year, during which they heavily promoted PvE. They even said at one of the early conferences that this was an intentional decision, since Guild Wars 1 was largely known as a PvP game and they wanted to show that that wouldn’t be the case with Guild Wars 2.

But why would they want to do that, if PvP was so much more popular in Guild Wars 1. The answer is that I don’t think it was. I think more people ended up PvEing and Anet changed their Guild Wars 1 plans for that. Certainly After Factions there was far less upgrades to PvP than there were to PvE.

At the end of the day, a franchise name is a franchise name because it sells the product. There are several Ultima games that were all different. Might and magic also had heroes of might and magic, which was another genre of game altogether.

I think the continuation of the lore and story necessitated having the same name.

I mean Star Trek and Star Trek Deep Space Nine are also very different, but they’re set in the same Universe.

Posted by: Rpgtabbycat.5869

Rpgtabbycat.5869

I didn’t play much with the PvP part of GW1 so I don’t have much opinion on it. You had Guild vs Guild or you had Faction vs Faction.

As for PvE, GW1 was mainly a co-op and not so much MMO. There was no open world, everything was instanced to your group.

GW2 is more of an open world MMO (although not completely open). Instead of having heroes and henchmen to fill out your party, you solo through most stuff and group up with other players for only part of the content.

I think of the two game, GW1 was still better. I know some will disagree with me on that, but I think everyone can agree the story cinematic was much better in Gw1.

Posted by: WARIORSCHARGEING.2637

WARIORSCHARGEING.2637

I didn’t play much with the PvP part of GW1 so I don’t have much opinion on it. You had Guild vs Guild or you had Faction vs Faction.

As for PvE, GW1 was mainly a co-op and not so much MMO. There was no open world, everything was instanced to your group.

GW2 is more of an open world MMO (although not completely open). Instead of having heroes and henchmen to fill out your party, you solo through most stuff and group up with other players for only part of the content.

I think of the two game, GW1 was still better. I know some will disagree with me on that, but I think everyone can agree the story cinematic was much better in Gw1.

very well said and fully agree with you on the story cinematic and just the cinematics

themselves is far more better than Guild Wars 2 !! also too the sad part of all this

Guild Wars 2 does not even use direct x 11 .and the use of direct x 9 in Guild Wars 2

is not even as good as Guild Wars its self even

no new system upgrades coming

Posted by: Aleksander Suburb.4287

Aleksander Suburb.4287

Guild Wars 1 had a great balance, great story missions (for groupplayers), a great build system, a variety of functional builds

Guild Wars 2 had a great action oriented fightsystem … but thats it
The only thing I love in GW2 is the fractal system. It is something like the original Guild Wars 1 feeling

Guild Wars balancing concept: Never change a ruined system!

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

This game is set in the same world as GW1, with the events of the previous game as canon history, so calling it GW2 makes sense.

That said, I would have liked to seen more of, “what I loved about GW1,” here. It may technically be a sequel, but it doesnt really feel like it to me. Decent game even so, but not what I had hoped for. Probably my third or fourth favorite mmorpg-ish game.