Question about 2nd elite spec.

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Arden.7480

Arden.7480

Q:

I wanna ask about something what interests me.

We will get a new specializations for each class we have (like in HoT), but for example:
I have Elementalist, who has his specializations: Tempest, Fire, Air.

When the 2nd elite specialization will be available will I get an option to do something like this: Tempest, 2nd Elite specialization and for example Fire? Or Will I have to choose 1 from 2 of elite specializations?

“The Elder Dragon is no more”

Posted by: Whitworth.7259

Whitworth.7259

A:

No way to know at the moment. Personally I believe the fact that they’re called ‘elite’ means we’ll only be using them one at a time, as has been the case throughout the guild wars history.

Posted by: Blaeys.3102

Blaeys.3102

Given that the idea is for elite specs to change fundamental profession mechanics – at least a little – it would be problematic to design for two at the same time without watering them down.

Posted by: zealex.9410

zealex.9410

1 of the 2 elite specs only

Posted by: Tanner Blackfeather.6509

Tanner Blackfeather.6509

They’ve always said that only the bottom slot can hold an elite specialization, so you can only one at a time.

Posted by: Ardid.7203

Ardid.7203

They already explained somewhere that we will only able to use 1 of the pool of available Elite Specs at a time. Less variables to control, easier to keep balanced, easier to make more, horizontal growth.

However, they also said the Elite Specs weren’t supposed to allow power creep, they should have been only new choices, equaly viable than the base Specs…

“Only problem with the Engineer is
that it makes every other class in the game boring to play.”
Hawks

Posted by: UnbentMars.9126

UnbentMars.9126

They already explained somewhere that we will only able to use 1 of the pool of available Elite Specs at a time. Less variables to control, easier to keep balanced, easier to make more, horizontal growth.

However, they also said the Elite Specs weren’t supposed to allow power creep, they should have been only new choices, equaly viable than the base Specs…

The issue is that everyone has a varying explanation as to what is viable. As an example:

A new Ele spec might be good for control and boonsupport, but it’s damage is subpar compared to Tempest and its boonsupport is not quite as powerful as phalanx. People immediately say its not viable because its job can be done by a PSwarrior even though there’s comparatively little difference.

A new Mesmer spec may have drastically higher damage than chrono, but if it can’t provide alacrity/quickness generation then no one will bring it because alacrity/perma-quickness is considered so necessary for proper raid composition (assuming no other elite spec will have gain the ability to provide it and as much of it)

A new Guardian spec is optimized for healign and its healing/protection output puts it at the highest for group dmg mitigation and total healing specifically for raids, but if it doesn’t have some kind of ability that adds ~10% damage like a druid, people won’t consider it a viable healer.

On paper and in actual usage, they may be equally viable, but in terms of the methods by which people use them, the comparative ease of use, and peoples perception, its inevitable that some options will never see use outside of personal preference. Great balance helps with that, but at the end of the day the only way we will see multiple “optimal” compositions is if at least one or two specs can offer the same things as other classes original elite specs.

Rev, Ele, Burnzerker
“Beware he who would deny you access to information,
for in his heart he dreams himself your master.”

Posted by: Arden.7480

Arden.7480

Thanks for answers!

“The Elder Dragon is no more”