Question about Ascended vs Legendary

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: nikzav.1239

nikzav.1239

Hello i am kind of noobish in this game and i have a question whenever is it worth to craft a legendary weapon, since i see ascended weapons have better stats and damage. And are legendary weapons boosted through progression (new tiers/patches…) or are legendaries’ stats going to stay the same?
Because if so, there is no point of crafting legendaries, am i right?

Posted by: Vol.7601

Vol.7601

Ascended weapons do not have better stats or damage. They’re the same.

The only advantage legendaries have over ascended weapons is their ability to change stats out of combat, and aesthetics.

Legendary weapons will more than likely stay the same as long as the game is under Colin’s watch.

Posted by: Lilith Ajit.6173

Lilith Ajit.6173

Legendary stats are the same as ascended, except on a legendary weapon you can swap stats.

I’m not sure where you saw that an ascended weapon had better stats than a legendary…. But yeah.

[ARES]
And all who stood by and did nothing, who are they to criticize the sacrifices of others?
Our blood has bought their lives.

Posted by: Meglobob.8620

Meglobob.8620

Legendarys are superior because:-

1) Look more awesome skin wise.
2) Can select any stat combo you want.
3) A promise from the devs that they will always have the best ingame stats. So if they release anything better than ascended, your legendary will automatically be upgraded.

Your best off making the extra effort to get Legendarys really and ignore ascended.

(edited by Meglobob.8620)

Posted by: Belzebu.3912

Belzebu.3912

Ascended and Legendary have the same stats, and legendary also allow you to pick any stat combination how many times you want.

Devs stated that Legendary will be the Best in Slot item, so if in a future GW2 get a new tier of weapons, Legendaries will have the same stats as that tier.

Charter Vanguard [CV] – HoD
Bardy Belzebuson – Ranger Sir Belzebu – Herald
(and the other 8 elite specs maxed too)

Posted by: nikzav.1239

nikzav.1239

Oh, like i said i’m still pretty noobish in this game. Thanks for the answers guys! i guess i better start crafting that Legendary! :P

Posted by: Mystic.5934

Mystic.5934

legendary used to have the same stats as exotic, back when there was no ascended weapons. But they said legendary would always have the best stats in the game, so they increased legendary stats when they added ascended. you probably just found an old post. Some helpful pages:
http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Legendary_weapon
http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Weapon

Posted by: Gibson.4036

Gibson.4036

Is it possible they’ve given themselves a loophole, though?

They upgraded Legendaries to match Ascended. They said that Legendaries will always have the same stats as the highest tier of gear. But what about level cap increase?

Is it possible, within the language they’ve used, that when the level cap gets increased (which they’ve said they intend to do eventually) they can restart the legendary chase?

Something like, “We said Legendaries would always updated to the highest tier of gear, and that’s still true. A level 80 Legendary is equivalent to a level 80 Ascended item. We heard from the community, however, that they needed new goals, so we know have level 95 Legendaries for those who want something to work toward after getting their level 80 legendary. As always, Level 95 Legendaries will have the same stats as level 95 Ascended gear.”

Whether they do this or not, is pure speculation. I’m asking, within what they’ve told us so far, could they do this and still stick to the letter of what they’ve said?

Posted by: Randulf.7614

Randulf.7614

Raising the level cap could be a catastrophic move for them. Doing that and not making legendaries scale? It would draw a line in the sand we would be so over we would no longer be able to see it.

Although they have never ruled out raising level cap (they’ve never said they would either), I would never expect to see it happen. Too many would refuse to re-grind for all their gear (not just legendary) and if all gear scaled, well why raise the cap?

Posted by: Belzebu.3912

Belzebu.3912

Repeating myself, Devs said Legendaries will always be the BiS, so I believe that if the level cap ever get higher then the weapon will also get higher.
BTW the devs didn’t said they will eventually rise the level cap, they just didn’t discarded the idea.

Charter Vanguard [CV] – HoD
Bardy Belzebuson – Ranger Sir Belzebu – Herald
(and the other 8 elite specs maxed too)

Gibson.4036

Repeating myself, Devs said Legendaries will always be the BiS, so I believe that if the level cap ever get higher then the weapon will also get higher.
BTW the devs didn’t said they will eventually rise the level cap, they just didn’t discarded the idea.

No. Chris said, " we’ve always expected that we will someday raise the level cap in GW2."

Source: http://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/13tuac/im_the_studio_design_director_on_guild_wars_2_ama/

That doesn’t say maybe. That doesn’t say it’s on the table, but they aren’t considering it. It says they will someday. Of course they can change their minds, as they have on many, many things. But unless you have a newer statement, the last word we’ve had from ArenaNet is that a level cap increase will eventually happen.

As far as legendary always being BiS, can you link me a source for that? I’m interested in what the actual language is. The only thing I’ve been able to find is that they’ve said they will always keep legendary equivalent to the highest tier of gear. That doesn’t mean a level 80 legendary has to match the stats of level 95 ascended. That’s why I fear there’s a loophole.

If someone can point to them saying “your current legendaries will always be BiS” that would be great to see. I can’t find a statement that says that.

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

A legendary is a legendary. They have stated that legendaries will always be BiS. Will always match whatever the highest tier is.

a “level 80 legendary” technically is no longer truly a ‘legendary’ if it does not meet the BiS requirement. To try such loophool would be catastrophically idiotic. They have made some questionable decisions, but they aren’t that stupid.

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

Posted by: Light.7493

Light.7493

Legendaries have a feature that their stats scale with the level cap.
You can also select the stats of the legendary. They are like the ultimate weapon.
Previously exotics, ascended and legendary used to have teh same stats/

Posted by: Lord Kuru.3685

Lord Kuru.3685

When they raise the level cap, they will upgrade Legendaries to the new cap — this is something that players would truly quit over and Anet can’t risk it.

However, don’t assume that just because you have a Legendary, your days of grinding are over. Anet can (and likely will) implement infusion slot vertical grind: currently, each infusion slots can hold +5 stats. Next: +7, then +10, and so on.

They’re already doing exactly this with Agony resistance in the infusion slots.

This way they keep the grind up, force those who haven’t gone to Ascended to grind to them, and also force Legendary users to keep grinding as well!

Gibson.4036

A legendary is a legendary. They have stated that legendaries will always be BiS. Will always match whatever the highest tier is.

Still hoping someone will post a link to that statement. I’m going on:

Legendary gear will remain with the same tier of stats as ascended gear and will not be made more powerful than other gear, it will simply be slightly more convenient since it will no longer need transmutations to change stats.

Source: https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/looking-ahead-guild-wars-2-in-2013/

All it says is that Legendary tier will have the same stats as Ascended tier, and on’t be made more powerful than the top tier. Which leaves plenty of room for having to upgrade your legendary when they raise the level cap.

I’d love to hear that they’ve actually said current legendaries will always be BiS. So far all I can find is them saying that Legendaries will always be equivalent to the highest tier of gear, which is different.

Posted by: Cooleden.6780

Cooleden.6780

This new patch changed things so that now you can convert ascended gear to any stat you want, with a bit of money. Are legendaries worth around 2-3k gold for a skin? If anyone would want to craft a legendary, they would want an advantage from ascended. So I suggest bumping up the base damage??

Posted by: Cooleden.6780

Cooleden.6780

Or, it doesn’t even have to bump up the base damage. It just has to be something that totally has an advantage over ascended items, because now we’re paying tons of money to farm something that is basically equivalent to 50g put in an ascended weapon.

Posted by: Plok.5873

Plok.5873

Legendarys are superior because:-

1) Look more awesome skin wise.
2) Can select any stat combo you want.
3) A promise from the devs that they will always have the best ingame stats. So if they release anything better than ascended, your legendary will automatically be upgraded.

Your best off making the extra effort to get Legendarys really and ignore ascended.

Legendary is not are superior because you can build several ascended weapons with different stats and sigils for different builds for the price of one legendary. Which you will normally want to have.
So several ascended ones plus nice gem store skins are a better deal.

Unless Anet some far day decides to grant legendary weapons a sort of sigil library, allowing to switch between sigils added previously. Has been requested time and again, last one here .

Pry Bar in yo’ face, You big disgrace / Box of Nails all over the place
Pet project: Outfit overhaul.

Posted by: ScribeTheMad.7614

ScribeTheMad.7614

They upgraded Legendaries to match Ascended. They said that Legendaries will always have the same stats as the highest tier of gear. But what about level cap increase?

Is it possible, within the language they’ve used, that when the level cap gets increased (which they’ve said they intend to do eventually) they can restart the legendary chase?

Something like, “We said Legendaries would always updated to the highest tier of gear, and that’s still true. A level 80 Legendary is equivalent to a level 80 Ascended item. We heard from the community, however, that they needed new goals, so we know have level 95 Legendaries for those who want something to work toward after getting their level 80 legendary. As always, Level 95 Legendaries will have the same stats as level 95 Ascended gear.”

Whether they do this or not, is pure speculation. I’m asking, within what they’ve told us so far, could they do this and still stick to the letter of what they’ve said?

While I have always quietly shared this fear I imagine the hellstorm of backlash that would generate. Some might argue in favor of such a change (there’s a luny in every crowd) on the grounds “it gives them something to do”
Like the people who “want” a gear treadmill, routinely upped level caps, and new tiers of gear to chase galore.
But I think enough sane people would protest such a thing.
Or so we can hope.

“The short answer is that new content is not going to drive people away from the game.
There is absolutely no evidence to support that it would.” -AnthonyOrdon

Posted by: LastDay.3524

LastDay.3524

Legendaries are there mostly there for their skins, and to provide long term goals.
The stat switching is something they actually added much later.

GW2 goes against gear grinding by providing you with fancy item skins to work towards instead of stats.

(I think they made a mistake by adding ascended, but oh well.)

Benight[Edge]

Posted by: TheDaiBish.9735

TheDaiBish.9735

No. Chris said, " we’ve always expected that we will someday raise the level cap in GW2."

Source: http://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/13tuac/im_the_studio_design_director_on_guild_wars_2_ama/

That doesn’t say maybe. That doesn’t say it’s on the table, but they aren’t considering it. It says they will someday. Of course they can change their minds, as they have on many, many things. But unless you have a newer statement, the last word we’ve had from ArenaNet is that a level cap increase will eventually happen.

As far as legendary always being BiS, can you link me a source for that? I’m interested in what the actual language is. The only thing I’ve been able to find is that they’ve said they will always keep legendary equivalent to the highest tier of gear. That doesn’t mean a level 80 legendary has to match the stats of level 95 ascended. That’s why I fear there’s a loophole.

If someone can point to them saying “your current legendaries will always be BiS” that would be great to see. I can’t find a statement that says that.

A more recent comment shows they won’t be raising the level cap or adding a higher tier of gear.

www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015-01-29-guild-wars-2-heart-of-thorns-expansion-level-cap-gear-tier

Life is a journey.
Time is a river.
The door is ajar.

Posted by: Darknicrofia.2604

Darknicrofia.2604

Guild Wars isn’t a franchise where new expansions comes with increased lvl cap and additional gear grind, the goal had always been that you can get your hands on max tier gear pretty quickly and the additional grind would simply be for aesthetics.

Darknicrofia Sage – Bad Gerdian, Merciless Legend, Platinum NA Solo Que

Posted by: Nutjob.9021

Nutjob.9021

Legendaries are great. They have awesome skins. They have adjustable stats. That being said, from a financial standpoint it’s cheaper to buy an extra bag slot for your character, buy a 20 slot bag to put in said slot, raise all your crafting abilities to the max, and create enough ascended weapons with various stats to fill that 20 slot bag than it is to create a single legendary weapon.

Posted by: RoseofGilead.8907

RoseofGilead.8907

There isn’t going to be a level cap increase. Ever.

Posted by: imsoenthused.1634

imsoenthused.1634

If there ever were a cap increase, I think they’d lose quite a few players, maybe even lots of them. Just my opinion, based on the fact that I would walk away in disgust, but I doubt I’m the only one.

That said, to the OP, legendaries are a complete and total waste of resources and time unless you are in love with one of the skins. The only advantage they have is stat switching, but stat switching is completely useless with out sigil switching as others have mentioned. So the end result is people build their Legendary, then they build alternate ascended weapons with different stats and sigils and apply the Legendary skin to them.
They are, truly, totally cosmetic, and you save yourself a fortune just building ascended from the start if you have a different skin you are happy with.

All morons hate it when you call them a moron. – J. D. Salinger

Posted by: WereDragon.6083

WereDragon.6083

Whoa and I thought I was a good Necromancer, this beast has posts dating back a year in a single page.

What do we say to the god of death? Not Today….
Eleshod|80 Thief|Tarnished Coast
Malsavias|80 Necromancer| Tarnished Coast

Posted by: Cyninja.2954

Cyninja.2954

Ah good necro. Perfect for the entire ascended debate at the moment.

ScribeTheMad.7614

On the contrary, they very specifically said early on that they built the system to accommodate level cap increases, and that they planned to eventually.
While “eventually” may never come, they never said they wouldn’t ever.

“The short answer is that new content is not going to drive people away from the game.

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

On the contrary, they very specifically said early on that they built the system to accommodate level cap increases, and that they planned to eventually.

Didn’t Mike O’Brien say exactly that at the recent conventions? I was pretty sure he did.

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

Yes, that is a loophole. It got noticed almost immediately after they made that promise (and we never got any clarification for that). It was even more visible then, since at that time they were still in the “we’re definitely going to increase level cap eventually” mode.

That saying, it doesn’t mean much, since they have shown since they are not above outright breaking (well, “changing”) promises. After all, “those aren’t really promises, just statements of intent at some point of the game, so of course they can change”.

TL/DR: you’d better hope they won’t increase level cap, or introduce a new tier, because if they at some point decide, that they have, for some reason, restart the hamster wheel, that reason will likely be strong enough to make them do something about legendaries as well.

A more recent comment shows they won’t be raising the level cap or adding a higher tier of gear.

www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015-01-29-guild-wars-2-heart-of-thorns-expansion-level-cap-gear-tier

Yeah, they won’t be… in the Heart of Thorns expansion. Doesn’t rule out them doing that sometimes later (though i agree that at the moment they seem to be against it).

Didn’t Mike O’Brien say exactly that at the recent conventions? I was pretty sure he did.

See above. The last promise is valid only for the HoT expansion.

As always, with Anet you need to be very careful about parsing their messages

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

Posted by: Serious.7083

Serious.7083

It has been said several times by anet employees that there will not be a level cap rise, if there was one many people, me included, would simply leave.

I have been there before, LotRO upped the level cap by 5, within the first day everyone on had reached that cap making their armor and weapons useless in the process. I left within a month and haven’t been back.

The whole purpose of the mastery system is to allow leveling of a sort without the cap rise. They have really gone all out to avoid anything that looks like a level cap rise simply because they do not work.

The only comment about increasing the level cap came, if I remember correctly, before release by an NCSoft employee and was immediately countered by anet.

(edited by Serious.7083)

ScribeTheMad.7614

Mike O’Brian:
" In GW1 we never advanced the level cap through four campaigns/expansions. The game design didn’t allow for it. But GW2 was designed without those restrictions, and we’ve always expected that we will someday raise the level cap in GW2."

Source:https://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/13tuac/im_the_studio_design_director_on_guild_wars_2_ama/c7762pk

That’s the last concrete thing they’ve said in general (that I can find anyway). There were comments about there not being a level cap increase In HoT, so there isn’t one inbound, but it’s not outside the realm of possibility in the future.

Also of note is another comment in the same post.
“I think it’s important for GW2 to be able to have this kind of gradual progression. Of course we made some mistakes with the way we introduced ascended gear. (See ChrisW’s answers for details.) But those are addressable issues. I don’t think they invalidate the fundamental concept that GW2 can have gradual stat progression without being a gear treadmill game.”

He generally seems of the opinion that as long as the treadmill is slow enough they can get away with saying its not a treadmill.
Thus why the “totally optional” ascended is now not as optional, and by the time the last wing of this raid is introduced it won’t be optional at all.
I expect by the time the second raid drops they’ll introduce a new not-a-tier-but-really-a-tier. Possibly something like infusions (it’s not a new tier of gear its not a treadmill, no matter how much grind or how often you need to regrind it) as yet another gear check/lockout.

Posted by: Garambola.2461

Garambola.2461

Why are you people digging up two year old posts? Seriously, they are not relevant, since the whole progression system has changed since then.

ScribeTheMad.7614

It’s perfectly relevant.
RoseofGilead.8907 made a comment stating ArenaNet would never raise the level cap.

I pointed out a post in which they specifically stated they always expected to someday raise that cap.

Just because you don’t like it doesn’t make it irrelevant.

Posted by: torgar.4015

torgar.4015

Please note though, 1 legendary is a hella lot of effort, IMO your best off geting asc, you could get a whole set of asc armor weapons and trinkets for the same price as let’s say twilight or bifrost