Question about future expansions

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: bowlofspiders.2590

bowlofspiders.2590

Will you need to purchase HoT and the new expansion as well if you’re a F2P account or will the new expansion include an instant upgrade to HoT?

Posted by: AliamRationem.5172

AliamRationem.5172

I can’t say for certain, but generally the way this works is you buy the current expansion and you receive all previous content (with a few exceptions such as Living Story episodes that require you to be there or pay later). So when the next expansion comes you should be able to purchase it and also receive HoT.

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

ANet has directly said it will work that way. Previous game versions will be rolled into new expansions as a free addition for new purchasers. Which sparks a lot of “but I paid for this game once years ago so I shouldn’t ever have to pay for it again, I need a reduced cost version, I don’t want to pay for the core game again.” Even so, the expansion cost is the price with or without the core game included, and including the core game avoids price pointing new players out of the game.

Anyway, while they have only said it is their “plan” to follow that purchase model, it’s not only logical for them to stick to it, they likely couldn’t handle the flame blast they’d receive if they don’t follow through. If you’re willing to wait however many months or years it takes to get the next expansion before you get access to the HoT maps, and willing to deal with how people will flock to the new lands and leave HoT perhaps a bit harder to play, and willing to give up all those months (or years) of what the game offers to paid players, well, yes. You should indeed get Vanilla and HoT included in your expansion bundle.

Posted by: Dawdler.8521

Dawdler.8521

One package that include everything has been the mantra but they handled veterans (ie GW2 vanilla owners) really, really bad the last time, then they somewhat made up for it.

I just hope this time there is a clear boon to being a HoT owner and “upgrading” to the next expansion. The one package thing is fantastic otherwise as it prevents too much expansion splits in the community.

Posted by: Healix.5819

Healix.5819

Anyway, while they have only said it is their “plan” to follow that purchase model, it’s not only logical for them to stick to it, they likely couldn’t handle the flame blast they’d receive if they don’t follow through.

It’ll happen either way, more so if they include it, because it’ll be HoT all over again.

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

I don’t think so. Those that were concerned when purchasing HoT will already be familiar with the ‘previous releases included’ purchase plan, whether they like it or not. Those new to the game likely felt they got a good deal with HoT, so would be less inclined to want to keep others from benefiting from said deal.

Posted by: LouWolfskin.3492

LouWolfskin.3492

One package that include everything has been the mantra but they handled veterans (ie GW2 vanilla owners) really, really bad the last time, then they somewhat made up for it.

I just hope this time there is a clear boon to being a HoT owner and “upgrading” to the next expansion. The one package thing is fantastic otherwise as it prevents too much expansion splits in the community.

I only have on question regarding this: What would be boon enough for you?

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

Besides, they have likely learned a lesson, and thus will probably include some goodies (like, again, a new character slot) to owners of the previous paid versions. This will likely satisfy veterans enough.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

LouWolfskin.3492

Besides, they have likely learned a lesson, and thus will probably include some goodies (like, again, a new character slot) to owners of the previous paid versions. This will likely satisfy veterans enough.

But why a new character slot? We can be pretty sure that there will be no new classes but only e-specs and they have said time and time again that they don’t want to include new races because it’s too much work an, apparently, doesn’t add enough game wise.

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

But why a new character slot? We can be pretty sure that there will be no new classes but only e-specs and they have said time and time again that they don’t want to include new races because it’s too much work an, apparently, doesn’t add enough game wise.

Several reasons.
1. it’s a “goodie” most commonly associated with expansion (due to gw1 history). Veterans will most likely either expect it, or at least not be surprised with it.
2. It’s something aimed primarily at veterans (new players are far less likely to need additional character slots)
3. It is just good enough that most players will accept it, but not so good that it would cause loud protests from those that won’t get it. (let’s face it, Anet is unlikely to offer something really valuable there)
4. and while there won’t be any new classes, there will be new elite specs. At least some people will make separate chars for them (unless, of course, they will be so OP that using core/current elites for anything will not be an option, which is a worry worthy of a separate thread)

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

Posted by: Dawdler.8521

Dawdler.8521

I only have on question regarding this: What would be boon enough for you?

Well they have many options. Simplest from a customer perspective would of course be say a $15 discount if you own HoT, bringing a $45 one-package-all-included game down to a more reasonable $30 “expansion” price tag. But of course from publisher perspective, thats hard cash lost. Tbh I would settle for gems, shared slots, inventory slots etc too. A char slot I only want if the expansion include a new class, otherwise that is pointless.

Posted by: Pifil.5193

Pifil.5193

Well they have many options. Simplest from a customer perspective would of course be say a $15 discount if you own HoT, bringing a $45 one-package-all-included game down to a more reasonable $30 “expansion” price tag. But of course from publisher perspective, thats hard cash lost. Tbh I would settle for gems, shared slots, inventory slots etc too. A char slot I only want if the expansion include a new class, otherwise that is pointless.

Any of those would be great in my opinion. I’d agree that giving another character slot without a new profession is largely pointless.

LouWolfskin.3492

At least it’s a reasonable answer. I expected something more ludicrous to be honest.

Posted by: Adry.7512

Adry.7512

Will you need to purchase HoT and the new expansion as well if you’re a F2P account or will the new expansion include an instant upgrade to HoT?

No. You can buy the next Xpac and receive all previous Xpac content. Nice right??

Posted by: sevenDEADLY.5281

sevenDEADLY.5281

“but I paid for this game once years ago so I shouldn’t ever have to pay for it again, I need a reduced cost version, I don’t want to pay for the core game again.”

I have never understood this mentally. To me this is simply entitled dribble. If I go to the store and buy a brand new 4k TV today for $1000 and watch it for years, I can’t go back to the store years later when some 8k version comes out for $1000 and go “But I already bought this 4k TV when it first came out for $1000 so I should get this new 8K tv for like fifty bucks! (Even though my 4k tv is now worth much much much much less now.)” The value is in the here and now. Pretending that because you bought one thing on its release, it should have the same value, years later, when a much newer model exists, is silly.

Posted by: Orpheal.8263

Orpheal.8263

Like it has been basicalyl answered with the first post after the OP.. the situation is as followed.

You can buy with GW2 either an expansion per expansion and in this case you always have to pay the full price for each single expansion for the advantage, that you have full access to all the new content immediately.

Or you can say for example make a huge break of the game, say for example for 5 years and in the meanwhile has net release for example 3 Expansions, we have now Hot, lets say every 2 and a half year later than another one… but you didn’t buy HoT yet… then you will receive with the latest expansion that is out and on sale right now the previous two expansions – HoT and that one thats currently worked on for free included in the latest Expansion.

That has been officially announced by ANet on the first day after HoT has been released that from this day on, all follow up expansions wil always include the previous ones for free, so that when you buy the latest version of the games expansion, you will always be able to have also access to all the rest of the game. This decision has ben made, so that people, which come back after having made longer breaks don’t feel beign left out and punished for having made longer breaks of several years and to give those returning people the chance to quickly get back to the point, where they are able to play together with their friends again, which maybe haven’t been in this while inactive like you, without that there any annoying content barriers between you and your friends that could make it impossible for you to play quickly again with your friends together, because you have to buy first a couple of exnapsions one by one, like it is handled in gasmes like WoW, where here you know, you always have to buy just only the latest expansion and it will include everything in between for free, whats in fact in the end for you alot cheaper to to havign to buy like in WoW every single expansion just to be on equal content access level with your friends again, what is a more expansive expansion model for a player to handle, than Anet’s “buy just the latest expansion and get every older stuff included for free-expansion model” they use, which is in fact alot more player cost friendly on the long run and increases on the other side also the chances for Anet, that these people return to GW2 after having made some breaks, where it is unlikely for people to return to a game, where you have to buy first every single expansion that has been release since your break, before you are able to play with your friends in the game again on an equal content access level..

Personally I like the idea behind sub classes ~ quoted from Chris Whiteside