Question about guild representation....

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Deathstroke.9258

Deathstroke.9258

Since you guys have been extremly helpful so far, I figured i would ask this question here, i guess it’s mainly targeted towards guild leaders but non guild leaders can feel free to answer as well.

I have recently formed up my own guild with a few friends and we are doin decently. Having fun togeher and all that good stuff, the issue im wondering about tho is how does you as a guild leader or as a member feel about repping different guilds?

so here is my input first…

I am old school, i have played many many mmo’s over the years and i firmly believe that if you are either in the guild or you simply are not. I find this guild rep thing to be a nuisance and weird mechanic. In my eyes, a guild is supposed to be like minded ppl who like to do like minded things who invest their time and energy into the guild and its members by getting to know one another, talking, gaming together, etc.

If say you recruit 20 ppl but only 10 are repping even some of the time or whatever the case may be, what is the point of that? I read that others like to play with this guild and that guild but if you plan to swap so many times why even bother being in a guild in the first place? why not just have a friends list instead to avoid the repping messages.

In all my years of gaming guilds were organized groups of ppl who really helped one another and gamed together regularly. But i noticed that alot of ppl leave guilds in this game due to not being active enough, no help here and there, chat is dead, etc. How is a guild supposed to prosper if noone even bothers to rep and chat on a regular basis cause they are to busy with another guild? how are any of the players supposed to get to know one another if they can’t see a chat even in place? IMO this mechanic is a flat out guild killer really, prob the one thing i hate most about the game so far.

I know ppl have their oppinions and thats fine i mean i dont expect anyone to really share my view and all that which is fine but i mean if we got to compete for guildies instead of them actually wanting to be a part of something… i dont feel like begging or ordering anyone to rep…i mean why even have them in a guild in the first place…guilds are meant to be organized…and im not the power trip kinda guild leader, I would justy like to be able to put together a nice community but its hard to do that espically for new guilds starting out if noone is repping and u spend more time whispering and whatnot then actually talking. I dont feel like someone should be forced into chatting or whatever…

How do you guys feel about that? do other guilds allow it or not? I dont mean to offend anyone or anything just hope to start a nice conversation to learn about this and how its looked upon in this game.

Posted by: tramwajarz.2369

tramwajarz.2369

every guild has its own rules, you can set the rul of 100% rep however I’ve been in such guilds and they weren’t neither more social nor better organised; for me all the 50+ super dooper “social” guilds are just blobs of random pugs sharing same tag.

I like the multiple guild option in GW2. I have my dungeon crawlers small guild of friends, my own bank only guild and the third one “blob” guild where I come only for guild missions. The most organised and social is of course my small, friendly guild.

Posted by: Offair.2563

Offair.2563

I like this system. When i played other MMO’s people used to have several toons in several guilds so if i wanted to play with them i had to friend all their toons so i could see if they were online or not. Now people can just join up to 5 guilds and even though they dont represent, you can always see if theyre online or not.

I am one of the leaders in my guild and when we invite people that tells us they wont represent 100% upfront, we throw them the Social rank or something like that. People who do rep 100% become member etc.

Big Babou, Ranger for life.
Madness Rises [Rise] – Banners Hold.
Don’t argue with idiots, they pull you down their level and own you with experience.

Posted by: Squishy.3694

Squishy.3694

IMO I think the representation mechanic is good but in the same time, really makes it hard for new start-up guilds. By this point, most people have found a guild (Although with the sale coming in there may be an influx of people to prove me wrong) and so new guilds have the rough end. To make your guild seem like the place to be you need members and buffs. But people need to rep to get influence for buffs. So if people already have their “main” guild, and they are joining you as a side, short of buying the influence it is very difficult for new guilds to try and sell themselves as desirable. Sometimes it boils down to advertising as “No 100% Rep!” just to try and hook people in. That’s just my two cents.

Quaggan finds your post inaccurate, wrong, misinformed, smelly and not as
good as Quaggan. Quaggan for President!

Posted by: Cbomb.4310

Cbomb.4310

I think guilds that require rep are antiquated.
I think its a matter of common courtesy that if you’re doing something with people of a certain guild, you should also rep it.
That said, a rep requirement is equivalent of saying ‘you better rep us or else!’. Its not welcoming, its oppressive, and it goes against this games game mechanics of being allowed in up to 5 guilds at once.

If you want people to rep your guild, be friendly, social, run buffs that help them, give them a reason to rep your guild and they’ll do it. Simple as that.

Posted by: ozmaniandevil.6805

ozmaniandevil.6805

Well I’m not a guild leader, but I somewhat like the system here. I am not from an MMO background so have nothing to compare to. I have my main guild, which is quite large and very active. However, I have recently joined a guild of only necromancers because my first and main character is a necro, and I know that several of the members are very, very good at necro, in all aspects of the game. So it’s nice to have that ability – more utility I’d say. However, I do find it a hastle having to rep/unrep. I also think that when you have a mechanic like this in the game, it would be really nice to be able to see chat of non-rep guild in a different colour. That’s really one thing I dislike. I would like to chat with both guildmates, not just one at a time.

As a commander I can see why you would want 100% rep, but with the mechanic in this game I doubt your guild would last. I also feel that if you want a guild to prosper, you need to be online a lot, do activities, guild missions, etc. One guild I was in just died off as people left the game. I held on until there were only 3 of left, then decided to actively look for a guild more suited to what I was looking for. Anyway – yeah; you have to make people want to be there and want to rep. Just MHO.

Isle of Janthir – Knights of the Rose (KoR)

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

There are a couple reasons to require 100% rep:

• Your guild regularly has 400+ active members with a waiting list; you need to find a way to make room.
  • Your guild has a specific purpose that requires participation: GvG, coordinated WvW, speed-clearing records, or (much less likely) certain types of RP.
  • It’s a new guild and you are trying to develop your ‘brand’.

There are also a couple of reasons to avoid asking for 100% rep:

• Guild isn’t “active” during peak periods for its members.
  • Guild isn’t active in all game modes, e.g. doesn’t do WvW or maybe dungeons.
  • Guild is well established and there’s typical amounts of new joiners, veteran leavers.
  • The guild doesn’t offer anything special for requiring full-time rep.

tl;dr don’t ask for full rep unless you have a very specific reason that your most active members will get behind

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Posted by: Mirta.5029

Mirta.5029

I don’t ask for 100% rep. Why?

1. We’re a social casual guild. We all log in at around 6pm and play together till midnight. We tend to do some dungeons, hang out on teamspeak and do PvP against each other. We are not active in WvW as a guild at all and we can’t offer world boss (like TT) kills. So if any members play outside the regular activity hours, or want to participate in very specific activities, who am I to say no?

2. Make sure that people rep you because they like you, not because they have to. Every time when I log in, at most there are 2-3 people not repping. Why? Because most of our members tend to enjoy guild chat and the atmosphere, so they rep us.

3. There’s a whole demographic out there that you would miss out on recruiting if you’re 100% rep. There are people who are in best friend guilds, that are not very active outside their friend’s play times and their friend insists on still keeping their own guild. There are people who have a personal bank guild. There are people who have different guilds for different aspects of the game… There’s a lot of reasons to be in more than one guild and if you absolutely insist on 100% rep, then your guild is not one of the guilds that these people would like to be in.

Now people that don’t rep at all are pointless to keep. However if you want rep rules, 80% rep rule or 60% rep rule is much more sane than 100%.

Posted by: Countess Aire.9410

Countess Aire.9410

I have a personal guild for storage. We require repping during guild events. Those of us in our guild that play lot run out of storage very quick. I personally run 13 characters, so a lot of material cleaned. So to answer the question, during guild events repping is required.

Posted by: mosselyn.5081

mosselyn.5081

I’m an officer in my current guild, and have been a guild leader (in another game) in the past. I’ve never been a fan of the notion that people can only belong to a single guild (or, the GW2 equivalent of 100% representation of a single guild).

People play games for different reasons. This one wants to WvW, that one wants spvp, this other one is into dungeon speed runs. Another example is that our guild is adult-only, and some of our members also want to tag up and play with their children. One guild doesn’t necessarily scratch all itches.

My guild is a casual, mostly PvE guild with a great social environment. I want my members to feel like they can be part of our community, but still find a sufficient number of like minded people to join them in specialized activities. Why force them out by being hard-nosed about rep’ing?

We do ask that members rep during guild events, and we’ve been known to boot people who never, ever rep, but the reality is that most of our members rep most of the time just because they enjoy the atmosphere and take pride in their membership.

I can kinda understand a hard-core guild insisting on representation, but IMO it makes no sense for a social guild like mine.

[OTG] The Old Timers Guild of Yaks Bend
www.oldtimersguild.com

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

In all my years of gaming guilds were organized groups of ppl who really helped one another and gamed together regularly. But i noticed that alot of ppl leave guilds in this game due to not being active enough, no help here and there, chat is dead, etc. How is a guild supposed to prosper if noone even bothers to rep and chat on a regular basis cause they are to busy with another guild? how are any of the players supposed to get to know one another if they can’t see a chat even in place? IMO this mechanic is a flat out guild killer really, prob the one thing i hate most about the game so far.

This was a common problem in GW1 as well, and in that game you could only be in 1 guild at a time. People would join and then leave quickly, or join and simply never talk or show up for guild events. IMO it’s more a result of bad guild leadership: not having something to actually bring members together beyond the basic benefits any guild provides.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

There are different reasons why people may seek to be in a guild. Some of these are social ones, others are organizational/ingame ones. In GW2 there are lot of specialized guilds that exist only to fulfill a single, specific reason for players. Some are purely social, others tend to concentrate around a specific activity (like WvW, mega world boss slaying, farming – there’s even a guild that exists only for farming Giant Slayer achievement). Add to that personal storage guilds, and you will see that even “100% rep” guilds can’t usually really require 100% rep time.

My guild for example, is primarily social, although we do dungeons, missions etc together as well when we feel like it. Some of my guildmembers are also members of other, content-specific guilds and i would never think of demanding they stop that. Nor would i expect them to comply.

I have never thought that this is a danger for my guild either. Quite the opposite – it offers my players the opportunity to fulfill any needs our guild is not capable of fulfilling (yet, anyway) without the need to leave our guild first.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

(edited by Astralporing.1957)

Posted by: Olvendred.3027

Olvendred.3027

Guilds can be 100% rep if they like. You can leave if you don’t like it.

While people can theorise about why 100% rep should or shouldn’t be required, at the end of the day, you’re going to be judging a guild on its culture, leadership, members and events, rather than on anything else. I’m in a moderately-sized and very successful PvX guild that does require 100% rep… only exception being bank guilds while in cities. Our player base is varied between casual and hardcore, but everyone’s pretty cool with it. Of course, we also have great, very active leadership, a strong sense of community, and a full events schedule including most/all aspects of the game. The rep requirement tends to help confirm/support that, rather than feeling onerous or constricting. In other words, it works for us. I’m sure there are people it wouldn’t work for.

tl;dr – Do what works for you. Rep requirement will generally only be a small factor in a guild’s ultimate success or failure.

Posted by: Neve.7134

Neve.7134

I am leader of a little guild of friends and it happens sometimes that they don’t represent and I don’t get offended by it. My Guild basically is an “escaping guild” where you can talk and feel free to be yourself but, sincw it’s little, of course it doesn’t provide Dungeons 24/7 or whatever.
I think that representing more Guilds opens you doors to more people, but not to more friends, so for me is pointless. That’s why I only have my Guild that I really represent 100% of the time.