Question about photography in game

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: RollFzzlbeef.4092

RollFzzlbeef.4092

I honestly can’t find a single thing in the forums addressing this, and as it’s something i’m really passionate about with this game for all of it’s sights and possibilities for capturing moments.

Over the recent months i’ve been slowly developing a portfolio of sorts in the hopes to maybe spark an interest and maybe catch the eye of a dev or two to ask this question. Seeing as how there’s nothing on the forums in this regard I’m casting the line out here. With the new expansion coming and the new chances for photo work, I’m curious if such a thing even exists.

The album can be found here http://imgur.com/a/6RxJD and please forgive the ignorance if I just missed a topic pertaining to this subject.

Attachments:

Rip and Tear

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

Do you mean taking screenshots?

Print Screen does that (maybe you have to keybind it in options). Ctrl-Shift-H is the default toggle to turn off the UI. I keybound it to F11 to have it near Print Screen. I can carefully frame a shot, or I can rapid fire hit F11/Print/F11 to get action without losing my UI for more than a second.

The images then go into your Screenshots folder. This is not intuitive to find now. In Win7 you go to Users>YourName>My Documents>Guild Wars 2>Screens.

RollFzzlbeef.4092

no I dont mean taking them, as I have a whole portfolio of those :P hence the attached screen as well.

I’m talking about if there’s an actual position for this kind of thing for the game, or what I should be looking for in terms of approaching anet directly with it to do this someday in an official standing for the blogs and such

Rip and Tear

Posted by: Rialen.1524

Rialen.1524

I’m not entirely sure what you’re saying as well lol. You may want to clarify a bit more. I can appreciate your interest and the album is really nice, but I don’t really understand what your post is concerning :s

Posted by: Joy.8791

Joy.8791

Your screenshots are very nice, but I’m afraid there is no “video game photographer” position in a professional context. The people who take screenshots for official media are probably people from the art team, and they certainly don’t just take screenshots.

I can see that getting the timing and angles and such right on your screenshots took a lot of effort, but that kind of effort isn’t required when developers take screenshots of their own games. ANet has test builds of GW2 they can modify as they wish… Basically, if they want a screenshot of the sun rising, they don’t have to wait for it to rise, they can make it rise—they can use the game files to line up everything they way they want it. What I’m saying is, with those tools, they don’t need people who are especially skilled at taking good screenshots.

If you wish to pursue this as a hobby, there is a fairly well-known community that works hard at these kinds of things: http://deadendthrills.com/ Check out the forums especially. Most of the users take really huge screenshots on powerful computers, then scale them down to make the end product look very sharp (this is a oversimplification, but it’s best if you look into it yourself). While you may not have the hardware to do things like that, there are a lot of other cool tips and tricks.

RollFzzlbeef.4092

Your screenshots are very nice, but I’m afraid there is no “video game photographer” position in a professional context. The people who take screenshots for official media are probably people from the art team, and they certainly don’t just take screenshots.

I can see that getting the timing and angles and such right on your screenshots took a lot of effort, but that kind of effort isn’t required when developers take screenshots of their own games. ANet has test builds of GW2 they can modify as they wish… Basically, if they want a screenshot of the sun rising, they don’t have to wait for it to rise, they can make it rise—they can use the game files to line up everything they way they want it. What I’m saying is, with those tools, they don’t need people who are especially skilled at taking good screenshots.

If you wish to pursue this as a hobby, there is a fairly well-known community that works hard at these kinds of things: http://deadendthrills.com/ Check out the forums especially. Most of the users take really huge screenshots on powerful computers, then scale them down to make the end product look very sharp (this is a oversimplification, but it’s best if you look into it yourself). While you may not have the hardware to do things like that, there are a lot of other cool tips and tricks.

Ah I see, I didnt consider that route honestly so kitten. Thank you very much for the link though, I’ll be checking that out here shortly!

Rip and Tear