Question about pre-patch champion boxes.

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Madzharov.7530

Madzharov.7530

Q:

For those who have seen the preview video on ascended crafting, it had been mentioned that champion boxes will drop one of the new T7 ascended materials. Some people have suggested to me to save all my boxes after the announcement had been made, but I’ve done that with some reluctance.

It mainly comes from the previous patch. The Watchwork bags used to drop a monetary reward of 8 to 12s, which made the Deadeye farm so notorious, hated and at the same time loved. Before the patch had happened I had a number of those bags and not knowing there would be a change to the loot tables I had not opened them. Post patch there was no more monetary reward from them, which was a change that was made without a warning, like the karma booster one.

My question is this: Will there be some kind of significant change similar to the magnitude of the change of the Watchwork bags? There has been no official mention or announcement about it and I am sure there are quite a few people saving their champion boxes in hopes of getting tier 7 matts post-patch.

P.S.: I am not looking to start a debate or a flame war on whether the Deadeye farm was good or bad, whether the unannounced nerf to the Watchwork bags was justified or fair and likewise if any potential nerf to the champion boxes would be justified or fair. I and probably many others just want to know whether we should keep our boxes and open them post-patch or do so now. Thank you.

~ Just a scrub

Posted by: henry.1420

henry.1420

If there is a change I dont think they will tell us just like last time. It affects small amount of population really unlike karma which is for everyone.
It will be a similar disaster if they simply remove the coin and change that part to T7 mat, which is totally possible…

(edited by henry.1420)

Posted by: fellyn.5083

fellyn.5083

I don’t know about crafting materials. I’m saving my champ boxes for all the greens and blues to salvage.

If I do gets some crafting materials from them then that’s a complete bonus.

Posted by: Waldir.2571

Waldir.2571

The update is tomorrow and more than likely there won’t be an answer to this question but is it really that hard to wait an other day? There will still be loot inside the bags even if the ascended mats never make it into them.

Posted by: Healix.5819

Healix.5819

Champion bags are going to get nerfed in some way, it’s only a matter of time. Zerging champions one after another and purposely failing to farm them can’t be what they want. It can also be just as profitable as farming Deadeye was if you didn’t have a private arena, so the nerf should be expected. Looking at the Tequatl changes, those champions don’t drop anything, so something will happen.

Watch them go the gauntlet route again by taking the silver out of the bags and making champion loot awarded through the UI chest. The ascended item won’t be put into the old bags of course, only the new UI chest.

Unlike Deadeye though, nerfing champion bags would affect the majority, since for the last 2 weeks, they’ve basically told everyone to go out and zerg. Furthermore, they’ve given a reason to not open these bags right now. They’ll probably go with a daily champion chest through the UI and not change the old bags.

Posted by: fellyn.5083

fellyn.5083

Champion bags are going to get nerfed in some way, it’s only a matter of time. Zerging champions one after another and purposely failing to farm them can’t be what they want. It can also be just as profitable as farming Deadeye was if you didn’t have a private arena, so the nerf should be expected. Looking at the Tequatl changes, those champions don’t drop anything, so something will happen.

Watch them go the gauntlet route again by taking the silver out of the bags and making champion loot awarded through the UI chest. The ascended item won’t be put into the old bags of course, only the new UI chest.

Unlike Deadeye though, nerfing champion bags would affect the majority, since for the last 2 weeks, they’ve basically told everyone to go out and zerg. Furthermore, they’ve given a reason to not open these bags right now. They’ll probably go with a daily champion chest through the UI and not change the old bags.

Even if they did make those changes (which I doubt they will) it’ll still be better than how it was before, which was basically champions not being worth the time it takes to kill them.

Posted by: Madzharov.7530

Madzharov.7530

What you get from a champion box is basically a guaranteed green or a chance of a rare or exotic, some coin, t5 matts with a chance for a t6 matts. The intention behind them from what I understood was to have a guaranteed better reward from a champion with a chance of something better, which I dare say has been achieved.

Logically speaking there shouldn’t really be a nerf or if there were one, it would be minimal. For example reduce the coin reward of the chest in exchange for t7 matts or make it so you get t5 matts with a chance of t6 or smaller chance of t7. Another possibility is to not make it a guaranteed green, but something like 1-2 blues with a big chance of a green. But that is from the perspective of the players, the devs are the ones that have the actual numbers and they are the ones who know if a nerf would be needed or not.

Even though the patch is tomorrow and I might not get an answer, I am just hoping to avoid a similar situation like the karma booster one. Unlike the Gauntlet farm where only a small portion of the population was affected, I have a feeling that after the ascended crafting announcement a lot more people would be banking their boxes and get affected by any upcoming nerf.

~ Just a scrub