Question for Veterans.

Question for Veterans.

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: BrimstoneAshe.5043

BrimstoneAshe.5043

How was the launch? Was it smooth? Were there lots of issues? Was it game that only got played by very few the first few days because the rest of the players couldn’t log in? I’ve only been playing GW2 for a couple of months. I wasn’t around when it launched and it was never on my radar at the time so I wasn’t following it.

I’m just curious how the launch went.

Asuran Engineer – Norn Ranger
[KAOS] of Anvil Rock

Question for Veterans.

Posted by: Chessrook.8643

Chessrook.8643

I’d call it smooth, personally.

Question for Veterans.

Posted by: Scumbag Mawile.6384

Scumbag Mawile.6384

It was a time of plenty. Pretty sure I racked up four BL salvage kits before hitting lv20.

Too bad I had no idea of their value and used them all to get guaranteed minor runes out of greens.

Disciple of Quag

Question for Veterans.

Posted by: Hickeroar.9734

Hickeroar.9734

It was smooth in the grand scheme of MMO launches. The biggest problem were the plethora of broken events and stuff in the world. Server stability was pretty fantastic IIRC.

Most (not all) of the broken stuff has been fixed by now.

The servers were packed on launch too. It was not a case of “few players.”

Question for Veterans.

Chessrook.8643

It was a time of plenty. Pretty sure I racked up four BL salvage kits before hitting lv20.

Too bad I had no idea of their value and used them all to get guaranteed minor runes out of greens.

Haha, ouch, man. That is terrible!

……..then again, I used an Onyx Lodestone in an Armorsmith crafting discovery when I was already maxed just because I like discovering every recipe I can, so….. everyone has a goof-up like that at least once.

Question for Veterans.

Posted by: lunawisp.2378

lunawisp.2378

I thought the launch went really well. I’ve seen some disastrous launches, this wasn’t one of them by a long shot. There were some issues of course but the fact that I’ve completely forgotten what they were speaks volumes – I can still remember issues that other games have had at launch many years later.

Found pottering around on Desolation (EU).
lunawisp was my peacebringer on City of Heroes – she lives on in memory as my gaming id.

Question for Veterans.

Chessrook.8643

I thought the launch went really well. I’ve seen some disastrous launches, this wasn’t one of them by a long shot. There were some issues of course but the fact that I’ve completely forgotten what they were speaks volumes – I can still remember issues that other games have had at launch many years later.

I can… broken skill points that took a while to fix (CURSE YOU ORR SPIRIT WEAPON SKILL POINT….THINGS!). That’s about all off the top of my head though, and they’ve been fixed.

Question for Veterans.

Posted by: Clockworkfiction.4872

Clockworkfiction.4872

The launch went very well core wise. I mean I could make my character and experience the game with not to many problems. I did spend a good amount of my time in the Bug report page.

All in all? Great launch considering what could have happened. i don’t think I have seen a launch as smooth as this for awhile.

Question for Veterans.

Posted by: Unkemptwolf.6347

Unkemptwolf.6347

The launch was super smooth. The only problem I remember was that the trading post had a problem and was offline for a couple of days. Other than that everything went well.

[BEER] [BANE]
Isle of Janthir
I’m an achiever. I achieve things.

Question for Veterans.

Posted by: Healix.5819

Healix.5819

Launch was smooth, no lag, I personally didn’t encounter any broken events / skill points like others did, the trading post was disabled then enabled for a few, then a few more and so on, gems were 400 for 1g and abyss dye was selling for 1g.

Question for Veterans.

Posted by: Farzo.8410

Farzo.8410

Personally the launch for me was really, really smooth. I had no lag at all when logging in the 25th (The headstart.)

Everything worked fine for me, I was stunned how well it worked, I had no problems at all. I think I mad it to level 18 or so when they announced they had to down the servers for some time to increase capacity (or something) because they themselves was blown away how many it was logging in to the servers.

Question for Veterans.

Posted by: Vol.5241

Vol.5241

Aside from the outpost being down for a month, the launch was extremely smooth. Of course there were bugs, all games have them, but relatively speaking it was a great release for an MMO.

[Permabanned on Forums]
[Currently Inactive, Playing BF4]
Magic find works. http://sinasdf.imgur.com/

Question for Veterans.

Posted by: Minion of Vey.4398

Minion of Vey.4398

You got really used to seeing that sleeping quaggan on the TP “down for maintenance” screen.

Many skill points would bug out and then just stay bugged until server reset. Ditto DEs.

The game itself though, was surprisingly stable. There was very little in the way of server downtime. No massive lag etc. It was pretty good.

Question for Veterans.

Posted by: Zogyark.4597

Zogyark.4597

First 12 hrs of the headstart the game was unavailable for a lot of people along with connection problems and lag for the next 2-3 days. There were broken events and skill points not working for about a month or so, some even stayed for over 3 months (like shadow behemoth was broken), along with no trading post so there was a lot of player to player transactions. Plenty of bots back then also and plenty of class bugs some which are still not fixed sadly (like necro minions AI) Still the game has come a long way since then.

Necromancer Lupicus Solo – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWkSkhmWiDU

Retired Until Expansion or Meaningful Content is Released.

Question for Veterans.

Posted by: Yocchan.8902

Yocchan.8902

It was a bit clunky sometimes since everyone still mainly played in the starting zones. There were some problems with party members being in different overflows without any chance to join the same one, some bugs with events and with the personal story, but what I remember as the most annoying was the TP going down all the time.

Question for Veterans.

Posted by: Red Falcon.8257

Red Falcon.8257

Except for a couple days of crashy crashy laggy laggy (EU server) it was pretty smooth.

Question for Veterans.

Posted by: Goettel.4389

Goettel.4389

We had a couple of hours of login issues, but overal I felt it went smoothly. Communications on ongoing issues was good too.

Send an Asura who knows math. Problem solved.

Question for Veterans.

Posted by: Karizee.8076

Karizee.8076

The servers were stable, only going down for a couple hours about 3 hours into launch since they had to increase server capacity.
The trading post was down for the better part of 2 weeks and then sporadic for another couple weeks.
A couple skill points were bugged and a handful of dynamic events.
Overflow was a bit clunky, there was no “Join in (location)” function, we would re-zone until we got into our friend’s overflow.
The overflow issue spilled over into dungeons, you’d often get split into different dungeon groups.

All in all very smooth launch for a MMO.

Question for Veterans.

Posted by: Aye.8392

Aye.8392

The launch had some troubles. Parties were split and coudn’t play together — when zoning into an area the players would be put into different overflow servers regardless of being teamed up. There were quite a lot of guild bugs, including not being able to use guild chat. The trading post didn’t work at all for several days, then they rotated allowing different people to use it at different times — if you weren’t on during those times it was just too bad for you. Skill points were a rather big issue for quite a while after launch, and some zones like Timberline Falls were completely broken…

Still, in MMO terms it was a very smooth launch. Because of overflow servers there were no queues, so even if some of the play was frustrating the players could at least play.

edit: Ninja’ed by Karizee who remembers most of the same things that I remember.

www.AlchemyIncorporated.net
Sorrows Furnace

Question for Veterans.

Posted by: Fiddlestyx.9714

Fiddlestyx.9714

It was smooth aside from the TP not working.
Since then, lag and culling have got worse, instead of better.

Question for Veterans.

Posted by: BrimstoneAshe.5043

BrimstoneAshe.5043

Thanks for the responses. I was just curious, because me and some co-workers were having a discussion about a recent game that I won’t name that came out this week that is having big time server issues.

The discussion we were having was roughly, “Should we hold gaming companies accountable for online games that have launch issues?” I think they should. We had a couple people in our discussion that didn’t think so. And then it made me wonder if GW2 had issues, because I never heard about any. Whereas with other games if they have launch problems it often makes for headlines at the various gaming sites.

I think it’s an interesting discussion because gaming is evolving and I think maybe our expectations should as well. Thanks again for your responses.

Asuran Engineer – Norn Ranger
[KAOS] of Anvil Rock