Question on earning HPs for Elite Spec

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Moyayuki.3619

Moyayuki.3619

I know that I already have two 80s who got their Elite Specs maxed or almost maxed, but with them they were already 80 and had done a ton of world completion before HoT was released, so therefore they already had a bunch of HPs to use on their Elite Spec. My question is in regards to a brand-new 80. She just hit level 80 yesterday and I only had enough HPs on me to unlock Reaper and the Shroud. I looked it up on the wiki and see that I need 250 HPs (minus the ones spent on the first two unlocks) to max out the Elite Spec.

So here is my question: If I go and proceed to work on world completion for the sake of earning HPs, how many maps on average may I need to do in order to get all or most of my Elite Spec unlocked? I am referring to Core Tyria right now, since I have yet to start the level 80 Personal Story chapter, don’t have LW or HoT zones unlocked yet. I’m considering trying to get as much of my Reaper spec filled up as possible before proceeding with my PS and LS.

Thanks!

Server: Dragonbrand
Guild: Moonlit Renegades (Moon)
Highest-Level Toon: Markus Emmerich, 80 Human Scrapper

Posted by: TheNecrosanct.4028

TheNecrosanct.4028

You’d need to do an entire world completion to get the rest, and even then you’ll still miss about 10 for the last trait unlock (which is easy enough since 8 out of 11 HP’s in VB are soloable).

Posted by: Randulf.7614

Randulf.7614

All of core tyria alone will not fully complete your elite – you will still need to do some HoT to finish off, but only a handful since they are worth 10 instead of the usual 1

Posted by: Hexinx.1872

Hexinx.1872

Do HoT, it’s much faster going 10 at a time. I generally run my fresh toons through VB and get about 5 of them without any help – and proceed down to Auric basin to get the few around the city. If there’s one that needs help (more players) … before i go to it, I’ll map chat and ask for help about 5 minutes before (and provide closest waypoint link)… then go stand there till one of two show up. You can probably unlock half your elite spec in a couple hours.

Then if I have any proofs of heroics, I go finish it off at the WvW notary.

Posted by: Zoltar MacRoth.7146

Zoltar MacRoth.7146

As soon as any toon gets to 80, I go to the jungle and fill up my elite spec there. As people have said, they’re worth 10 each in the jungle, and many are communes. Pretty soon you’ll have a favorite route mapped out for getting hp’s.

Posted by: Nike.2631

Nike.2631

You can also get HP through WvW play. Every time you level up in WvW you get a chest with proof of heroics in it, Turn them in 10 at a time to unlock a random Heart of Thorns hero point. Proofs are a shared currency so you can earn them on any character (like a fully kitted Ascended-everything death machine) and spend them to advance any other character (like a freshly mintes no-Asecnded-at-all cannon fodder.).

I usually get 8-10 proofs per level in WvW. It is a LOT less annoying to me than wandering around most of the HoT maps going “crud, I can’t even get to that one… or that one… or that one…”

“You keep saying ‘its unfair.’
I wonder what your basis for comparison is…”
- Jareth, King of Goblins.

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

If you are in a guild that has Lost Precipice, you can hop to the guild hall and run up the stairs at the south end to walk out through the portal. You will then be in Verdant Brink, with the east end wp automatically unlocked. With someone guiding you, you can get most of the VB HP very quickly (all of them if the map provides enough willing people to help with the two serious fight ones).

Though you will need at least basic gliding and jumping mushrooms, hmm, so you’d need to do the intro story chapter once to unlock masteries, then explore around and do events to unlock those before you could get to most of the HP. If you’re holding off due to spoiler issues, then yeah, you’ll need to do a ton of core maps. Check Players Helping Players, there is a new sticky there with a super handy guide to the fastest world completion … which again assumes you have gliding … um.

I think if you don’t do the WvW method you’ll save a ton of time if you just do that very first story intro on one alt, then spend a short time in VB getting xp to unlock masteries.

Posted by: Djinn.9245

Djinn.9245

You can also get HP through WvW play. Every time you level up in WvW you get a chest with proof of heroics in it, Turn them in 10 at a time to unlock a random Heart of Thorns hero point. Proofs are a shared currency so you can earn them on any character (like a fully kitted Ascended-everything death machine) and spend them to advance any other character (like a freshly mintes no-Asecnded-at-all cannon fodder.).

I usually get 8-10 proofs per level in WvW. It is a LOT less annoying to me than wandering around most of the HoT maps going “crud, I can’t even get to that one… or that one… or that one…”

So the WvW Proof of Heroics will unlock a random HoT HP that is not already unlocked? Can you pick the zone?

it’s this luck based mystic toilet that we’re all so sick of flushing our money down. -Salamol

Posted by: Nike.2631

Nike.2631

So the WvW Proof of Heroics will unlock a random HoT HP that is not already unlocked?

Yes.

Can you pick the zone?

No.

Generally I take a fresh 80 and do about 12 “low hanging fruit” HP I know of in HoT (the ones that would annoy me to unlock randomly because they’re so easy…), then burn the rest down with Proofs of Heroics.

If you’re really diligent about central Tyria HPs its really, really fast to pick off the last 50-80 points with a combination of tactics.

“You keep saying ‘its unfair.’
I wonder what your basis for comparison is…”
- Jareth, King of Goblins.

Posted by: onevstheworld.2419

onevstheworld.2419

A easy way to get a whole lot of HPs at once is to hang around in AB after metas. I’d use the toon that needs the HPs to do the AB meta, which is profitable anyway. Then once the rewards phase is over, there’s frequently someone who starts a HP train. If not, I’ll just go do solo-able HPs until the next meta.
I completed my latest toon’s elite in about 6 hours of play over 2 days.

(edited by onevstheworld.2419)

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

When I used the insta-L80 boost, I got my Elite spec by doing 10 Challenges in Verdant Brink. That represents 10 of the 11 available (I didn’t do the vampire). One other player helped with the Golem and about 3-4 others with the Hylek Bow Stealther. The rest were easy solo.

I then did 5 challenges in Auric Basin (Mushroom with 1 other, Arrowhead with 1 other, poison meat, and the two in the city — one with the event completers and the other involved just gliding to it). Combined, that gave me 150 of the points needed. I then completed Straits of Devastation (12), Malchor’s Leap (15) and Cursed Shore (17) for another 44. That left me needing 56.

For the most efficient course, use the GW2 Wiki and search for Hero Challenges. There are listings by region (Kryta, Ascalon, etc.). On average, most zones have between 5 and 8 challenges.

Posted by: Sartharina.3542

Sartharina.3542

Do Heart of Thorns Hero Points – each is worth 10.

Get all the Verdant Brink (There are 3 that require a group to complete – Golem, Coztic, and the Godkitten Guano) and Auric Basin Hero Points (There are always HP trains going on in AB), and grab 3 or 4 Tangled Depths HPs.

If you feel like doing Dragon’s Stand, it can also give you at least 3 of them upon completion (The blighting pods), and up to 7 depending on your masteries (Mushroom is easy to get)

Posted by: Djinn.9245

Djinn.9245

So the WvW Proof of Heroics will unlock a random HoT HP that is not already unlocked?

Yes.

Can you pick the zone?

No.

Generally I take a fresh 80 and do about 12 “low hanging fruit” HP I know of in HoT (the ones that would annoy me to unlock randomly because they’re so easy…), then burn the rest down with Proofs of Heroics.

If you’re really diligent about central Tyria HPs its really, really fast to pick off the last 50-80 points with a combination of tactics.

Interesting. Thanks for the info.

it’s this luck based mystic toilet that we’re all so sick of flushing our money down. -Salamol