Questions from someone pretty new!

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: EvilKupo.2197

EvilKupo.2197

So I bought the game late last year but didn’t’ start getting into it until just this past week and a half. I hit level 36 today on my main and I feel as if I’m missing….something.

What I mean by this is I feel like there should be more to the game than what I’m experiencing. I haven’t done the first dungeon yet, but I have done a few jumping puzzles, started crafting, and explored a bit.

Is there anything else? I’m having a lot of fun, I just don’t want to miss out, I guess.

Also the current event triggers even at level 1, but I can’t find out any information on what level it’s possible to do it at. I know it ends in a few days, but is it strictly for high(er) level or can anyone do it?

One last question. Now that I am inching my way into the second half of leveling, should I start doing PvP? If so, should I do sPvP or WvW? I haven’t looked into them much, so sorry if that’s a dumb question.

Thanks to anyone who replies!

Posted by: IVIUIEI.9631

IVIUIEI.9631

Get to level 80, know what skill is best first then u can go to wvw and pvp and not get your as kick. Even with 3 level 80 I still get my as kick in wvw…. try and get all the available armors for your character… go for legendary weapons… there is still so much more to do… try every peofession and see which one fits your desire…

vvuevv

Posted by: Boatdrinks.2546

Boatdrinks.2546

I have been leveling a toon (will be my 3rd 80) in WvW. You wont have access to all your traits and skills, but you will be leveled to 80 while you’re there. Thats enough to run with the big group and contribute to events and gain exp. If you go to sPvP you will be leveled to 80 and get all your trait points to spend so you can really see what your profession will grow into. Don’t be afraid to die in PvP, and don’t hesitate to do it if it looks fun.

Posted by: sinzer.4018

sinzer.4018

Also the current event triggers even at level 1, but I can’t find out any information on what level it’s possible to do it at. I know it ends in a few days, but is it strictly for high(er) level or can anyone do it?

I dont think you’re blocked from accessing the dungeon at the end based on your level, you end up being upscaled to 80. However, you would be at a disadvantage due to a lack of traits and equipment.

Posted by: SkylightMoon.1980

SkylightMoon.1980

The feel of absence that you have is not uncommon. Certain aspects of the game are great while others are void. Im sure they will work on it.

Posted by: Cowrex.9564

Cowrex.9564

It could be the fact that your hands aren’t being held towards a direction since in this game, you are free to do anything! (Believe me, I have friends who are missing things too when playing the game)

Give a man fire, he will be warm, set a man on fire, he will be warm forever! …or dead…

Posted by: Jack of Tears.9458

Jack of Tears.9458

What I mean by this is I feel like there should be more to the game than what I’m experiencing. I haven’t done the first dungeon yet, but I have done a few jumping puzzles, started crafting, and explored a bit.

Is there anything else? I’m having a lot of fun, I just don’t want to miss out, I guess.

There is tons of exploration in the game – don’t limit yerself to just the symbols on your map, many of the mini dungeons, jumping puzzles and just hidden chests are off the beaten path.

When you do Dynamic Events, don’t just run in, do the event and leave; stick around and pay attention to what is being said by npcs. Outside of the starting areas many of the DEs are chained events and you’ll end up following the npcs through many stages.

A lot of the Vistas provide beautiful scenery just to stop and gawk at.

Collecting Lore in the game means you gotta be proactive; it won’t just drop tons of lore in your lap with random npcs spouting exposition. Listen to what people say, read books, explore, check out the descriptions on statues, etc.

If you’re into roleplaying, the Tarnished Coast server is the North American RP server – while Picken Square is the EU server and I am always finding people to rp with.

Be sure to play around with your character builds, it’s very cheap to respec your character and if you get bored with one build there are other ways to play your class. (I fiddle with my build every month or so) You may find you have tons more fun with another settup.

I like talking to any npcs that let me; they usually have funny or interesting things to tell you.

A lot of people take pride in clearing the maps, but don’t stick with a map just to clear it if you start getting sick of it – you can always come back later and the level scaling insures you don’t really “outlevel” zones.

There are area bosses and world bosses every so often, pay attention to your map chat to catch people announcing them popping up.

There is tons of stuff to explore underwater … some people hate the underwater areas, I really enjoy them. Be aware that you can change the skills in your utility skill bar while under water and after that every time you jump under water they will auto change to that setting. (and change back to your land setting when you leave)

And then, ya know, just whatever sounds fun at the time. Grinding doesn’t give much reward – by design – so your better xp is going to come from doing Hearts, Events, etc.

I’m sorry I stepped outta yer box, don’ worry, if
ya whine enough they’ll put me right back.

Posted by: Little Old Lady.3742

Little Old Lady.3742

Is always great for the community to help the new players. Good old level 35! I have many alts. I think by now you understand the systems. I think its universally agreed that dynamic events are the fastest way to level. If get an xp booster from a chest and some guild banners and food and utility then you can level even faster.

Use the wiki to check out the zones. Try to stay around your level. Going back and doing the hearts you missed is fun but the rewards might only be a few coins. A drop or two from a higher zone could sell for more money.

Fun is the most important point. Levels and money can make it easier. For example you can not continue the personal story if you are not high enough level. The enemies are too strong.

Create your alts. You can always just use them for storage. Throw some bags on them and you got more space.

Go ahead and try PvP. Try WvW. You will die and the die kill a few and die some more. It’s a good way to preview the skills. You can see which set up you like and buy those skills specifically.

Cooking is always useful. Food is good. Jeweler is used by all professions.
As far as the living story goes… I don’t think you have time to do the whole thing but you can try fox and brand. They opened up new areas. The dungeon is hard. Ok at level 80 but got stomped at level 40.

Try a guild make friends be helpful and…. Just between you and me…. Ranger are the best! But don’t let that secret get around. Thieves are annoying.

Little Old Lady, Sea of Sorrows, Robot Adventurers [RA], Tokyo Japan.