Quick question about party/squad invite.

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Elexa.3478

Elexa.3478

So, recently I got an invite to a squad while doing meta in dragon’s stand. I declined an invite cause I simply don’t want to be in a squad, period. But this person keeps inviting me over and over again… and it’s embarrassing. I blocked him, nothing… appeared offline… nothing. Any way to block this from happening, is this somehow reportable or what? *clueless*curious* I noticed that perhaps this is the wrong subforum for this, so please move if you can. Thank you.

Posted by: mtpelion.4562

mtpelion.4562

Don’t do Dragon’s Stand if you refuse to play in a squad. You will harm everyone’s enjoyment of the game, including your own, because you will fail to receive timely/relevant instructions that are necessary for the success of the map-wide meta.

Server: Devona’s Rest

Elexa.3478

That’s not what I asked, but thanks for the input.

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

You almost certainly aren’t being invited by the same person.

In DS and so on, it’s much easier to succeed if everyone is in the squad (I get that you don’t want to be — that’s fine and I’m not trying to convince you otherwise; I do the same when I havoc in WvW). Consequently, many people, including myself, will invite stragglers to join whenever possible.

However, you’ll see each invite as coming from the commander, not from the squad member.

Consequently, there’s nothing for you to do except keep declining. No one is trying to embarrass you; no single person is insisting that you join. It’s the group trying to ensure the group’s success.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Elexa.3478

I get invited sometimes, but it’s only once or twice and then they give up… this time I got invited at least 30 times, it’s hardly a different person every time. Someone is just being funny… and they enjoy total anonymity? Good thing I didn’t report the commander then. lol

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

It is not uncommon for squads there to be set to allow anyone to invite. On the other hand some commanders are just that dense.

Illconceived Was Na.9781

I get invited sometimes, but it’s only once or twice and then they give up… this time I got invited at least 30 times, it’s hardly a different person every time. Someone is just being funny… and they enjoy total anonymity? Good thing I didn’t report the commander then. lol

I really doubt that someone is just being funny. A DS squad might have 40 people. I’ve extended invites to the same person more than 5 times (by accident — I might not realize it’s the same person as we move around). It only takes 6 of the 40 making the same mistake to get up to 30 (although I wonder if it really was 30 invites or if it just seemed like a lot).

Basically, once the squads are separated, I will invite anyone with a ‘green’ name plate (instead of blue) and do so when there’s down time. I do this because I know the commander will be offering instructions in /squad and I want the meta to succeed. People who don’t see /squad chat are more likely to be in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Again, I’m not asking your to change your preferences or behavior. Like I said, I do the same in WvW when I’m focused on havoc and I go to help a zerg commander. I just want you to understand that it’s very unlikely that you’re being griefed.

Posted by: Sephas.8793

Sephas.8793

Yeah, I do the same thing when I’m in a big zerg and I see green names. I invite everyone, and I’m sure I’ve double and triple invited people…

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

If you want to avoid the spam invites, have a friend create a squad, join it, and then have the friend drop from the squad. This creates a leaderless squad of just you.

These metas succeeded just fine before squads.

(edited by Ayrilana.1396)

Posted by: cyn.2157

cyn.2157

Silly, but potential workaround: Does toggling /mentor prevent those kinds of invites? I know you can’t turn it on when you’re in a squad, so maybe enabling it prevents squad invites?

Otherwise, I think the only way to avoid this presently would be to tag up yourself (which will cost you 300g to be able to do, if you don’t already have the cmdr tag), or have a guildie in another map tag up and invite you to their squad.

Joining the squad and turning off squad chat and your party display would also effectively achieve the same result of "not being bothered’.

All of these workarounds are a bunch of needless effort for your original issue, just proposing them because I don’t know if any of them will suite you. I admit I’m biased though, I agree with the sentiment of the other posts – just trying to offer something more constructive.

-Fade Nightshade (thief all the way, baby)

Posted by: SlippyCheeze.5483

SlippyCheeze.5483

Also effective: “/y look, I love you and all, but I’m not going to join your squad”

Posted by: ArchonWing.9480

ArchonWing.9480

You can create a squad, leave, and rejoin, but that also requires more than 1 person. Never leave the squad.

For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards,
for there you have been and there you will long to return.

(edited by ArchonWing.9480)

Elexa.3478

Great, now I have to make friends too. Anyway, clearly there’s no way to stop it, just decline or ignore. Got it. Anet should do sth about it, but I guess it’s a waste of breath.

Posted by: mtpelion.4562

mtpelion.4562

If you want to avoid the spam invites, have a friend create a squad, join it, and then have the friend drop from the squad. This creates a leaderless squad of just you.

Squads (Commander Groups) were in the game at launch, so the HoT metas were added well after them.

Squad UI updates happened in 2014 and 2015, which might be what you are thinking of.

Server: Devona’s Rest

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

Squads (Commander Groups) were in the game at launch, so the HoT metas were added well after them.

Squad UI updates happened in 2014 and 2015, which might be what you are thinking of.

Squads, as we know today, are not the same as previous years where we had a commander icon on the map. Joining the commanders squad wasn’t really utilized in PvE prior to the UI enhancement.

The enhanced squads UI occurred mid-November 2015 with the first raid wing.

All relevant chat can be done in say chat like previous years.

(edited by Ayrilana.1396)

Illconceived Was Na.9781

It’s pointless to worry about whether squads are necessary to completing the meta — they aren’t, never have been. However, they do make things easier on the command and the rest of the people trying to complete the same meta. I don’t join because it helps me; I join because it helps all of us if all of us are in the squad.

Regardless, if OP doesn’t want to join, they shouldn’t. This isn’t like “herd immunity” failing if too many people skip vaccinations.

But also, the OP shouldn’t be surprised if they get 20 or 40 invites over the course of an hour-long meta. Members of the squad shouldn’t be expected to remember — or care — that the OP might not want to join.