Quick slots for food/utilities/boosters

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Veprovina.4876

Veprovina.4876

I have a suggestion. Instead of keeping this all in your inventory, maybe add a small quick slot place somewhere in the UI with 3 slots.

One for a food item, one for a utility item, and one for a booster item.
Those items would then be moved from your inventory to the quickslots.
The quickslots don’t have to take up a lot of the UI so it wouldn’t be obtrusive.

There are no quick slots for anything in this game.

And to make it worthwile for ANet, they could even make some extra cash from it.

Think about it.

You get 3 slots (food/utiliy/booster), and you can assign 2 items to swap out like you do your skills. Those items are then moved from your inventory to this slot. You can’t put a food item to a utility or booster slot and vice versa…
And i know those items last a long time (which is great), but i find myself not using them at all. And there are so many different stuff you can use to boost up a little, it seems like a waste.

And to make this profitable for ANet, add a gemstore items that increase how much items you can put in the quickslots.
Want more than 2 swappable items? Buy a gemstore upgrade (the same as an inventory bag expansion and a bank expansion), for some gems (whatever the cost) and it would generate some extra money for them surely! Maybe it would even boost “booster items” sales. As people would have have all the time at a glance and maybe use them more.

The reason for this is, i have tons of items like this in my inventory and i never use them. I forget they’re there, and they pile up. Sometimes i remember, sometimes i don’t but the point is, they’re not immediately there for me to see, and i have to search my bag for them which is sometimes tiring, as most of the bag graphics aren’t immediately reckogniseable at the first glance either.

What do you think? Would you like this added?

EDIT: Added the attachment of the suggested UI.

Attachments:

Ravos Xar, Ash Legion Charr Mesmer

(edited by Veprovina.4876)

Posted by: Tman.6349

Tman.6349

A ton of people have been asking for this since shortly after launch. There’s been, at least, twenty threads about this and similar QoL additions. Another thing people want is an account-wide bag slot which could serve a similar purpose. One thing I would REALY
LOVE to see is 3 account-wide slots where you could put your ‘NPC Summoning Items’, such as the Trader Express, etc. (This would be HUGE for the permanent versions of these items.)
In addition to the food, nourishment, and booster slots you have in mind, I think a ‘consumables’ slot for things such as whistles, feathers, etc.
Unfortunately, after a couple dozen or more of these kinds of suggestions, we have yet to get a single ‘red response’. It be nice to hear, “great idea, we’ll look into making this happen”, or “your ideas suck, so give it up”. Just….anything really.

Posted by: DDCarvalho.2071

DDCarvalho.2071

I like this idea.

The interface could be expanded from the “finisher” one in the Hero Panel, and use an structure similar to the Skill Panel.

For each category you could choose (finishers, foods, utilities, boosters AND MINIS!!!), it would show the current/chosen option on the left side and show the available options on the right side (like the skill panel). Buttons would not need to be as big as the Finisher ones, I think.

On unlockable items like Minis and Finishers, it would show all available options (on bank or inventory), but on consumable items it would show only the options on the character’s inventory (otherwise it would be like a direct line to the bank).

And each time the food or utility ran out of its duration, the game could show a button to renew it, next to the activated boons. Most of the time I am not buffed with foods because I always forget to re-activate them.

It would be like a wardrobe for those items, and make them much more convenient to use (specially minis, that by having to be reactivated in each rezone, I am never using).

And someday… Who knows? We may get a subtle boon depending on the mini. Like a flying mini reducing falling damage slightly (restrictions for WvW and PvP would probably apply).

Posted by: Conaywea.5062

Conaywea.5062

anet want money , so they make tiny inventories so people must buy extra slots

they wont do that (sorry for my english)

Posted by: MithranArkanere.8957

MithranArkanere.8957

There should be 4 slots for consumables. To use them while in battle, you’ll have to put them there. That way you can’t use more than 4, and that both helps people to use them more easily by just pressing F5-F8, and to balance things out a bit so people don’t stack too many of them like popping tons of summons.

SUGGEST-A-TRON says:
PAY—ONCE—UNLOCKS—ARE—ALWAYS—BETTER.
No exceptions!

Veprovina.4876

anet want money , so they make tiny inventories so people must buy extra slots

they wont do that (sorry for my english)

But i sugessted that ANet adds gem shop items to increase swap space for food and other items. That way, they could make money on this new system too, and it wouldn’t take away from bag slots. Inventory is cramped as it is, especially when you have a pile of collectables you can’t deposit like i have 5 stacks of 250 of bloodstone shards… Maybe more. And a lot of people have too, so sales from bag space wouldn’t go down much.

And yes, mini slot would be awesome! I have one cute Toxic Nimross but it’s a hassle to re-summon them all the time. I didn’t include this in my suggestion because there’s already a thread about it, but yes, i would like that a lot, even though i’m not a mini collector.

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Anet-Mini-Pet-Slot/first#post4113185

It be nice to hear, “great idea, we’ll look into making this happen”, or “your ideas suck, so give it up”. Just….anything really.

Yes, it would be awesome if someone from ANet would reply to this. A lot of people are interested in this it seems.

There should be 4 slots for consumables. To use them while in battle, you’ll have to put them there. That way you can’t use more than 4, and that both helps people to use them more easily by just pressing F5-F8, and to balance things out a bit so people don’t stack too many of them like popping tons of summons.

I wrote 3 because i thought there are only 3 types of consumables you can have active at any time. Maybe i’m wrong? I meant, each slot for 1 type of consumable that you can swap.

And yes, good thing you mention this because i forgot, they would work like other skills, that you couldn’t swap them in combat.

Posted by: dansamy.3752

dansamy.3752

Oooh! Like a belt?!?

Veprovina.4876

Oooh! Like a belt?!?

Could be! Yeah.
But i don’t think it needs to be a part of a worn item like an accessory or a backpack or anything, Just in general.

Posted by: Azhure.1857

Azhure.1857

I also support this idea.

Isle of Janthir Megaserver

Posted by: kratan.4619

kratan.4619

I support the idea of a utility belt item for consumables.

Veprovina.4876

I messed around a bit with the idea, and here’s how it would work!

The additions to the UI wouldn’t be that obtrusive, just look at the attachment.
They would look like other swap skills, but instead of them being a skill, it’s a slot where you move the item from your inventory…

Outlined in red are other swap slots (you can only see one at a time), and you can’t swap in combat.

The most basic, you get:

2 food slots
2 utility slots
2 booster slots

To the left is the mini summon skill…

2 slots for minis

Other slots you’d need to buy with gems. That’s why there are gem icons there (but those wouldn’t be visible all the time, now they’re just there to illustrate a point).

Tman.6349 mentioned merchant summoning slots. Those could be to the right of the UI above the minimap.

In game options could include show/hide for any of these so if you don’t have a mini or don’t want one, you wouldn’t be bothered with an empty slot all the time. Same with merchants since not everyone has them all the time, and nourishment slots too.

And most importantly, none of those items would take up your inventory space.

Attachments:

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

I sort of would prefer to add a ‘stick multiple in the slot and let it auto deploy’ option to that general idea. Since even having them there I’d still forget to active the stuff.

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

Veprovina.4876

I sort of would prefer to add a ‘stick multiple in the slot and let it auto deploy’ option to that general idea. Since even having them there I’d still forget to active the stuff.

Well auto deploy could be added to options, but since most of this stuff lasts an hour, idk if it would be really necessary…

Maybe the icon could change color to red when it’s about to run out. Less than a minute.
That way you’d see it and activate it again.

Posted by: Dusty Moon.4382

Dusty Moon.4382

GW1 did not have these slots either. I think the point is to have a minimum but very functional UI. If you wanted a crowded one, there are other games that have them.

Posted by: TheGrimm.5624

TheGrimm.5624

Agreed this one has been out there a number of times, but still supporting it. Only changes I would make is that have it be a couple of more spots than 3, 5ish or 6 and don’t limit it to what can be dropped in the spots. That allows people to vary what they put there and allows for more gadgets like the airstrike grenades down the road. It would also give people quicker access to weapon swaps and/or armor pieces. The normal rules would apply in regards to item activation. Good hunting.

GW/PoTBS/WAR/Rift/WAR/GW2/CU

De Mortuis Nil Nisi Bonum.

Posted by: ProtoGunner.4953

ProtoGunner.4953

Just let us have our UI how we want it. It sucks to run around with open bags or always look for the proper food. Never understood why Anet is so reluctant to this.

‘would have/would’ve been’ —> correct
‘would of been’ —> wrong

Posted by: MithranArkanere.8957

MithranArkanere.8957

[…]

I wrote 3 because i thought there are only 3 types of consumables you can have active at any time. Maybe i’m wrong? I meant, each slot for 1 type of consumable that you can swap.

[…]

There’s mainly 3 types of consumables: Nourishment, booster and others.

There’s 2 types of nourishment: Food and utility.

The other consumables that are basically environmental skills activated by using an item.

Food and utility could go in the slots or not. Some last quite a lot, so some people may still prefer to keep then in the inventory instead having them in the slots. My main concern is the skill consumables like Fire Elemental Powder.

As for boosters, they should work in a different way. So I do not count them.

SUGGEST-A-TRON says:
PAY—ONCE—UNLOCKS—ARE—ALWAYS—BETTER.
No exceptions!

Veprovina.4876

[…]

[…]

There’s mainly 3 types of consumables: Nourishment, booster and others.

There’s 2 types of nourishment: Food and utility.

The other consumables that are basically environmental skills activated by using an item.

Food and utility could go in the slots or not. Some last quite a lot, so some people may still prefer to keep then in the inventory instead having them in the slots. My main concern is the skill consumables like Fire Elemental Powder.

As for boosters, they should work in a different way. So I do not count them.

Yes, now that you mention it, i forgot about all the other consumables. Mainly because i don’t bother with them, it’s clunky to always hassle around the bag to search for what you need…

Well instead of limiting what slot you can put something in, maybe then those restrictions could be removed, meaning, you can put any consumable you want in tose 3 slots then swap them as you need….

GW1 did not have these slots either. I think the point is to have a minimum but very functional UI. If you wanted a crowded one, there are other games that have them.

Well, i don’t think the UI is crowded, not now as it is, and not with the added 3-4 thinks at the bottom. If you see the attachment i made, it doesn’t look so obtrusive.
If you mean the red squares, they’re just there when you open up the swap menu, like you do with your skills. We’re talking about adding 4 icons to the UI. That’s not really crowded.

And implementing the show/hide funciton for that would also improve on that for the people who are bothered by crowded UI…

I also like the clean UI but i don’t think adding those 3-4 slots would crowd it much. I mean, compare this suggestion, with 4 buttons added to any other mmo that has a crowded UI and it still looks slick and clean.

I wouldn’t mind having those buttons. It would also give me more incentive to buy consumables. There are tons of them (i did a little search), some of them are funcional, some of them fun, but all of that is moot if they take up bag space and are not visible at a glance.

I remember buying some sort of a regeneration tree consumable. Some seeds or something. It looked nice (the tree growing and glowing) and at the time it would have been useful to have. I was lower level, and some regeneration couldn’t hurt for a few seconds it lasted.

Those seeds were in my inventory for 3 months. I forgot i had them, and when i wanted to use them they weren’t handy (since out of combat you regenerate fully, and in combat you can’t bother with your inventory). It would have been a nice thing to have, but i just couldn’t use them.

I really don’t see how adding 3 slots for consumables would hurt the clean UI or the gameplay. In my humble opinion, this should have been in the game by default. There are so much consumables that are really only usable in combat, and in combat, who wants to bother with inventory?

Others that last longer, yes, you’re obviously not going to fiddle with them in combat, you activate them, then do what you are going to do. They last an hour.

Still, all of them would be handy to have in some quick slots.

(edited by Veprovina.4876)