Quite a change

Quite a change

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Unleashed.6195

Unleashed.6195

I am not quitting. Yes, my desire to play has reached near zero, even to recoup the cash investment, but there is no reason to quit when it costs me nothing to play while hoping to see some change in direction. I will continue to play, with a different level of enthusiasm and hope as before, but am not quitting. This is criticism, but criticism from a single person’s perspective. An Op-Ed

Since that’s out of the way lest there be any confusion:

Imagine for a moment you were watching Lord of the Rings: Fellowship of the Ring. Sure, there were some typical fantasy cheese elements to the movie, but it was great. If not your favorite movie of all time, it was still a great movie. Then you drop in Lord of the Rings: The Twin Towers. At first things are normal, but then Monty Python shows up. Skeletor attacks the shire. Speed Racer whisks the party away to safety. Mario drops in to bounce on a few orc heads.

None of those things are bad things on their own. I love Monty Python. I was a huge fan of He-Man and Speed Racer. Who doesn’t love Mario?

I would still find the movie puzzling and without a soul. It wouldn’t fit. I would feel confused as to who exactly the movie was made for. Add in that, as you watch the movie, vendors pace the aisles selling you Monthy Python, He-Man, Speed Racer and Mario trinkets. Now you’re not only confused, you’re disappointed. When you realize that they’re not even selling all of the trinkets directly, but are selling dice rolls for some of the more interesting items… your disappointment turns sour.

Am I alone in feeling this way about the direction of Guild Wars 2? What happened to its soul? What does it want to be? Is it just meant to be a Six Flags of the MMO world, with content to please every possible taste and trend? A beautifully rendered activity box?

Perhaps it is just me. I may be a niche. Maybe I’ve grown too old and the demographic for MMOs has shifted so significantly that they are no longer even trying to cater to my tastes. I’m curious what everyone else thinks. For me, the SAB “Back to School” coming right as children in the US are going back to school was a final grain of sand tipping the scale from hopeful optimism to bewildered disappointment.

(edited by Unleashed.6195)

Quite a change

Posted by: Gizmo.8623

Gizmo.8623

Amen
(fifteen times amen)

Quite a change

Posted by: TooBz.3065

TooBz.3065

Lately Guild Wars strikes me as an entertainer who doesn’t know what people like and is trying just a little too hard.

Anything I post is just the opinion of a very vocal minority of 1.

Quite a change

Posted by: Tachenon.5270

Tachenon.5270

bewildered disappointment.

At this point I’ve given up all hope of the game being anything but a silly MMO sitcom inspired by elements based on an impression of a retelling of an original idea borrowed from a dream some guy had after eating too much Frusen Glädjé (and pickled bologna) who, this one time at band camp, watched a friend play Guild Wars on a computer connected to a black and white TV with a broken vertical hold knob, but at the same time I’m sitting here pondering buying another character slot, so…

Yeah.

The table is a fable.

Quite a change

Posted by: Lunar Sunset.8742

Lunar Sunset.8742

I agree with you OP, 100%. Everything seems to be silly (which sometimes is fun) but when it’s pushed at your in every single part of the game it gets to be annoying…

Sunset
50/50 GWAMM x3
I quit how I want

Quite a change

Gizmo.8623

My greatest disappointment was that the game haven’t evolved. It devolved.
From wonderful game with great perspectives to goofy reality. In itself the content we get is rather good (minus last updates) but it just don’t add to the level that was delivered at the premiere.
After playing 800+ hours with one character, I’ve leveled another and I just don’t find a reason play (to dress rather) it because I’ve just seen all and apart from slightly different gameplay there’s nothing new to offer me. This friggin’ RNG just erases possibilities of playing for acquiring certain items – like tough challenge to get certain rare exotic weapon.

And there are still comments – “you don’t like it, don’t do it.” Yea, I follow them. And I don’t find anything that remains. I’ve tried everything but I am not playing it.
I’ve played that 800 hours as necro. Now, I’ve created another necro, whom I try to play differently. Just to enjoy this game again. No zerg, no massive events, no grind, no farm, no friggin’ Pavilon. I just enjoy the game that I thought that it’s supposed to be played. At lvl 80 it’s 180 degree turn.
From playing your character to best of your ability to best challenges with a help of few other players to massive zerg where only mob tagging matters. From exploring, enjoying the world to hasting for the only lucrative thing – farming champs. And you won’t be there with a small group to experience interesting fight. You will be there hoping that the damage you delivered will be enough for you to get loot. IF you manage to get there before champ dies. Because there already is a lot of other players. And they just want their shinies…. sigh.

WHY every bit of new content contradicts original game? WHY every bit of new playable content is temporary? WHY PvP and WvW – two different and interesting gameplay types suffer from lack of new content, changes, bugs and unbalance while PvE gets brain-drain childish content designer exclusively to farm and gain useless Achievement Points?

Why this way?
Is it that we didn’t delivered positive feedback about expanding world with new events and JPs in the Helloween patch?

Quite a change

Unleashed.6195

It’s evolved, but it certainly seems like the evolution has been towards gem-shop tie-ins with “activity of the week” themes. It’s puzzling because I like the concept of bi-weekly content updates. It just becomes more and more difficult with each update to take a game seriously that they don’t.

Quite a change

Posted by: Mirta.5029

Mirta.5029

I’ve seen your previous topic before it got deleted. I wrote a similar message there, but since it didn’t get seen I will write one again.

Perhaps it is just me. I may be a niche. Maybe I’ve grown too old and the demographic for MMOs has shifted so significantly that they are no longer even trying to cater to my tastes. I’m curious what everyone else thinks. For me, the SAB “Back to School” coming right as children in the US are going back to school was a final grain of sand tipping the scale from hopeful optimism to bewildered disappointment.

1. SAB mostly caters to old nostalgic gamers rather than children. Would children know just how significant 2D games were to us? How much innovation Mario brought by using the technology of ever repeating background? Did the see 8bit turn to 16, then turn to 32?

2. Unlike you I do believe that the game has soul, a lot of soul. It even provides social commentary on the world. Asura are creating portals and robots, would you really think gaming would be out of their grasp? NPCs discussing next to it with words like “I wonder if one day we could all have a personal SAB in our home” just shows a similar discussion that was going on in real life when first arcade pintball machines showed up and when first computers in general showed up. I think that it’s a well thought addition when it comes both to real life and the lore.

3. If you can’t see it as something serious then there’s always another explanation – easter eggs. In a lot of games there’s always a room, an item, a person that does not fit in with the context of the whole game, instead it normally represents a tribute, or a joke that the developer wanted to share with the rest of the crowd. And to be honest this is quite common in MMOs http://www.wowwiki.com/Easter_eggs

(edited by Mirta.5029)

Quite a change

Posted by: Spiral Architect.6540

Spiral Architect.6540

It’s evolved, but it certainly seems like the evolution has been towards gem-shop tie-ins with “activity of the week” themes. It’s puzzling because I like the concept of bi-weekly content updates. It just becomes more and more difficult with each update to take a game seriously that they don’t.

Yep. I’ve been saying this for a while — the “new content” is all just glitz to get people to buy gem shop stuff. The Bazaar update was the only one in the last several cycles that I found even remotely interesting; the rest of it? Meh. And now we have the return of SAB. Meh x2.

The “story” in this game is severely lacking, IMO. I found the story in Rift to be far more compelling, and that’s saying a lot.

Quite a change

Posted by: Draconicus.7564

Draconicus.7564

Agree 100%!
The concept of “funny” looks to be twisted in this game, against the serious lore the game used to be!

I call it not GW2 but “Tyria On line” instead!

The GW saga was transformed in a " World of Theme Park", where we live in a permanent state of Festive events & Robotica Sci-Fi!!!

Quite a change

Mirta.5029

Agree 100%!
The concept of “funny” looks to be twisted in this game, against the serious lore the game used to be!

The GW saga was transformed in a " World of Theme Park", where we live in a permanent state of Festive events & Robotica Sci-Fi!!!

Not to attack your post, but can the player base choose what they want?
“We want SAB, SAB was the best, please make it return, I want it now” posts were seen trough out the whole summer.
Sab announces its return
“this game is no longer serious, it’s a themepark, it’s like Tyria Online and not GW anymore!”
Sometimes I think that this is precisely why we’re not being the developers of the game – the game would contradict itself hard if we were the ones making it

Quite a change

Unleashed.6195

1. SAB mostly caters to old nostalgic gamers rather than children. Would children know just how significant 2D games were to us? How much innovation Mario brought by using the technology of ever repeating background? Did the see 8bit turn to 16, then turn to 32?

I don’t think either of us can answer who the content caters to. You say it caters to old nostalgic gamers, but I’m one of those and do not find it fitting for GW2. I do enjoy a little CubeWorld now and then, I play old school platformers and Nintendo emulators. I just don’t expect to do these things in GW2, I do not want to do them in GW2.

2. Unlike you I do believe that the game has soul, a lot of soul. It even provides social commentary on the world. Asura are creating portals and robots, would you really think gaming would be out of their grasp? NPCs discussing next to it with words like “I wonder if one day we could all have a personal SAB in our home” just shows a similar discussion that was going on in real life when first arcade pintball machines showed up and when first computers in general showed up. I think that it’s a well thought addition when it comes both to real life and the lore.

No, I don’t think it would be out of their grasp. I also do not think that hardened charr warriors would drop what they’re doing with the threats looming over their world and escape into a virtual reality 16bit game simulator. It’s certainly not what I log into GW2 to do.

3. If you can’t see it as something serious then there’s always another explanation – easter eggs. In a lot of games there’s always a room, an item, a person that does not fit in with the context of the whole game, instead it normally represents a tribute, or a joke that the developer wanted to share with the rest of the crowd. And to be honest this is quite common in MMOs http://www.wowwiki.com/Easter_eggs

SAB. Quaggan Backpacks. Jumping Puzzles. The Dreamer. Moot. Kites. These aren’t Easter Eggs. SAB is an entire update. The Dreamer is one of the legendary weapons. 8 foot tall charr warriors are running around Lion’s Arch with a kite trailing behind them and a mini Queen Jennah in tow.

Quite a change

Unleashed.6195

“We want SAB, SAB was the best, please make it return, I want it now” posts were seen trough out the whole summer.
Sab announces its return
“this game is no longer serious, it’s a themepark, it’s like Tyria Online and not GW anymore!”
Sometimes I think that this is precisely why we’re not being the developers of the game – the game would contradict itself hard if we were the ones making it

Those are two different playerbases. They know which is larger and their content choices are strong indicators of what they know.

Quite a change

Posted by: byjiang.1260

byjiang.1260

GW2 started with a vision. A vision of a wonderful game that renovates the MMO genre. Somewhere along the way they decided money was more important than the quality of the game, and here we are.

Maybe the initial estimated cost of maintaining multiple servers is too low, or they got greedy, or NCSoft pressed them. There’s no way to know, but what we know is that ANet is now focused on dishing out new contents to keep players attached, no matter the cost to the game itself, so the cash shop gets income. They don’t care if the content is buggy, or it’s inconsistent with the feel of the original game, or it has 0 story.

A good product takes time to develop, for example look at Dragon Age Origins and DA2. They are now on a biweekly schedule, and it’s simply impossible to come up with anything of quality in such a short time. They just serve you whatever they could come up in 2 weeks, to hell with the consequences. If it’s something new people will play.

Now it’s completely fine to have a cash shop when the focus of the game is on the game itself. It’s something else entirely when the purpose of the game is to make people stay and spend money. There is a fine line between the two, and they crossed it by a mile.

You can make a great game, and people will flock to it and sing its praise. Or you can make a barely disguised cash shop and keep people playing. It’s business and there’s no right or wrong.

What is lost is the respect for the company.

Quite a change

Gizmo.8623

Agree 100%!

Sab announces its return

You know, any type of addition can be fun and appropriate. But in the meanwhile there should be serious updates. We lack those. And we get whole new update that concentrates on this one addition.
And there’s another thing – patience.
I lack this.

Quite a change

Posted by: byjiang.1260

byjiang.1260

Those are two different playerbases. They know which is larger and their content choices are strong indicators of what they know.

To make money, you cater to your larger player base.

To make a great game, you stick to your vision and do your best to realize and improve it.

Neither is right or wrong. I just prefer a great game than a cash shop.

Quite a change

Posted by: funkylovemonkey.3097

funkylovemonkey.3097

I don’t know. I don’t like SAB, and will probably be skipping it this time just like I did last time. But that doesn’t really bother me, because there will be another update two weeks after that, and two weeks after that. Honestly, I’m almost a little relieved that it’s something I don’t care about, gives me a little breathing room.

And I’m not sure how people are defining “serious” updates. The Queen Jubilee was pretty serious from my perspective. It featured a (small) progression of the overall story and introduced some new permanent content.

Not everyone can be catered to all the time. There are some people who just want bug fixes and balance updates, but if that was all that Anet focused on I personally would find less and less to come back to because I don’t have any significant bugs effecting me and while balance isn’t perfect, it never is. Some people want these cheesy minigames like SAB, and that’s fine. It’s not surprising, back in GW1 the minigames were incredibly popular, and there were many many threads asking for these games to be made permanent. I wasn’t one of them, but I don’t mind if every couple of months they get their way. Personally I would be happy if Anet only focused on new areas and new storylines, but I appreciate that is probably a bit more time consuming then minigames and the like. So I wait patiently, but I certainly don’t begrudge those who really liked SAB the last time.

Quite a change

Unleashed.6195

So I wait patiently, but I certainly don’t begrudge those who really liked SAB the last time.

I don’t begrudge them either. This appears to be a game tailor made for them. The graphics are wonderful. The events are frequent and require very little long term attention. I’m glad they’ve found something incredibly fun for them. They can jump into SAB with a Dreamer and fire unicorns at 8-bit raccoons.

What is a disappointment, what is bewildering, is that this is all happening in GW2. It’s like a flavor of ice cream called “Maximus Neopolitanis” where it features the flavors of strawberry, bubble gum, chocolate, chili peppers, vanilla, mint, beef, asparagus and cheddar cheese.

You have no idea what they’re trying to get at other than “make sure there’s a little something in there for everyone!”

(edited by Unleashed.6195)

Quite a change

Posted by: Master of Timespace.2548

Master of Timespace.2548

Agree 100%!

Sab announces its return

As if it doesnt already. Swords and bows being used in the era of robots, airplanes and lasers ? o_O. Why don’t you just use cruise missiles and droids to destroy Zaithan from Rata Sum while drinking coffee and playing SAB?
I don’t really care though. Jumping with friends can be fun and I can ingore the parts of the game that do not in my opinion agree with each other or with the game lore.

? <(^-^><)>^-^)> <(^-^)> ?

(edited by Master of Timespace.2548)

Quite a change

Posted by: Poledo.3256

Poledo.3256

Too much analysis. Does SAB look like fun? That is the only thing that matters. If it doesn’t look like fun then I’m sorry, maybe the next update will have something for you. Can’t win them all.

Quite a change

Posted by: Gehenna.3625

Gehenna.3625

*I am not quitting. Yes, my desire to play has reached near zero, even to recoup the cash investment, but there is no reason to quit when it costs me nothing to play while hoping to see some change in direction.

Well, the reason could be to do something instead that you do enjoy. I mean there’s no reason to play when you don’t enjoy would be my way of phrasing it.

To me GW2 is, as someone else put it, the sesame street of MMOs. I share that view. It’s too much happy happy joy joy. Apparently there is a demographic for that. Mind you, it’s not all bad and it’s ok to reach to that inner child and all, just not so much of it.

So yeh it’s not my style and if I may say it as a fervent GW1 player….The name may be the same but we’re not in Tyria anymore…

It’s a game forum. The truth is not to be found here.

Quite a change

Unleashed.6195

Too much analysis. Does SAB look like fun? That is the only thing that matters. If it doesn’t look like fun then I’m sorry, maybe the next update will have something for you. Can’t win them all.

It’s the only thing that matters to you. Does it fun and does it fit the setting matters to me. I’m ok with a type of content not appealing to me. In Forza there were race types and car types I didn’t care for. “Can’t win them all” applies there. If they would have introduced car jacking with a cinematic crime story behind it, that’s not the same situation.

Some of this content dilutes the whole because it picks up immersion by the neck and shakes it like a stray dog would a rat. What is left behind is tainted, like leaking oil into the ocean. You just don’t swim and step around the oil and enjoy the fresh saltwater beaches. If you like oil, you’re in luck. You have both oil and the beach to enjoy. If you don’t like oil…

Quite a change

Unleashed.6195

Well, the reason could be to do something instead that you do enjoy. I mean there’s no reason to play when you don’t enjoy would be my way of phrasing it.

Options are slim right now, and I still feel like after the cash I spent on the game I should at least finish up the areas of the game I enjoy enough to play on all alts. I haven’t gone through the full story mode on each yet. By the time I’ve done that, I’ll have that nice dollar per hour ratio that feels fitting and justifiable and will see if anything has changed for the better.

Quite a change

Posted by: Draconicus.7564

Draconicus.7564

I don’t see it as a attack at all, you are very welcome, as you write in a Mature,clear and very respectful way friend:)
I’m not exactly like some people that see “different opinions” as “attacks”:)

In topic:
– If you ask me that, … IMHO it’s a big NO!
Player base have not exactly the right to choose that!
Because in the end, we as a huge “mass” of different minds, will be just acting as a chaotic mob! And that can never help any kind of game!
A swarm of locusts that will eat all what can be served by the game devs!
No matter if it’s good or not!

What we as players can do is just the ability to choose if we want to play game X or Game Y! And support it in a positive way the choosed one.

Please note that IMHO if we came here to write about something we don’t think it’s good to the game, that will be “a positive support” also!
It’s our “duty” as game fans to be thankful & critics at the same time!

But in the very end, it must be in the devs side the real job to “protect” a games Lore integrity at all costs!

This days it looks that this kind of “protection is lost” on the devs side.
And because we as a “mass” can have from the best genial ideas to the most insane and decadent ones, the game is going by a very weird and uninteresting way, been strongly twisted from what it should be!

If you ask me: SAB is funny? Yes it is immensely funny, but it belongs truly to a GW game!?
No for sure.
And it looks too big and intrusive to be seen just as simple Easter Egg… … …
IMHO!

(Terrible sorry for my horrid English, but i avoid auto translators because i really want to improve my writing personal skills, as English it’s not my natural language!)

(edited by Draconicus.7564)

Quite a change

Unleashed.6195

The worst part, is most of what I spent I feel was completely worthless after the ascended gear announcement. There was no point in leveling up alts to 80, not much point in gathering up exo gear with skins as they are….

sigh

One patch, nullifies nearly all spending and tears a nearly irreparable hole in the fabric of immersion for the game.

Quite a change

Gizmo.8623

And I’m not sure how people are defining “serious” updates. The Queen Jubilee was pretty serious from my perspective. It featured a (small) progression of the overall story and introduced some new permanent content.

“Serious” for me would mean something that cannot be completed within one hour. And not because you need to farm for it. Something permanent, new, fresh. Something like Guild Halls, new gameplay type for SPvP with 3 or more new maps, new skills (weapon skills and utilities) and new mechanic of acquiring them (new quest chains or tough individual challenges).
Expansion to story with more than one 15-minutes mission. This should be on the level and not appear out of nowhere like rabbit from hat (pirates, Scarlet, dragon bash, baazar) and give sense of participating with persisting world – no one even mentioned dragons (at Dragon Bash I even once haven’t though of Kralkatorrik or other one) as a real threat.

And “serious” should mean that we don’t have a villain Scarlet aka “diediediediediediediediedie”. God, it’s frustrating.
Everything within game, no short stories on blog.

“Serious” also as contained within game – farming with zerg is worst that can happen to your solicitously build character. It’s like other, a lot worse game. It’s in conflict with as the game was played at levels 1-79.

“Serious” as consisting fixes to existing problems. It’s serious problem as we have broken mechanics even from beta – targetting is horrendous, I lose target, cannot find the mobs I want to attack, next target and nearest target choosing selects everything but not the dangerous monster. It’s below criticism.

“Serious” as not being only a filler (WvW masteries).

There are no game changers apart from turning the game to wreckage of grind and farm after reaching max level. You then forget what character you have and just unleash your AOE attacks on greatest vet+champ groups Tyria has ever seen.

“Serious” as pushing the game to higher levels of quality. We have some of this (end of culling, LOD option and other similar changes) but it’s under the shadow of shallow, boring, anticlimatic and out of context content created in a rush to meet 2-week sprint.

Why so serious? Because I’d like to not be ashamed of recommending GW2 to anyone:
PvP – not ambitious and poor.
WvW – time-eating zerg machine.
PvE now – lacking serious content.
Now I’d say: get lvl 80, try dungeons and stop. This way you will have fond memories.

Quite a change

Posted by: Sir Vincent III.1286

Sir Vincent III.1286

The way I see it, if they pool all their resources from release up ’till now and allocate it to develop one large update, like Personal Story 2.0 (with new dragon), then there will be a big surge of players wanting to play the game today.

If they really want players to keep playing month after month, then they should have created a staging point in the Crystal Desert, for example. Then during that month, players will try to establish supply route, gather resources, reinforce the front line, etc. and some Dynamic Event where supply caravan is under attack, some creatures have broken thru the frontline, etc. Then next month we’ll see this staging point evolves into a fort then the next thing to do is push the frontline towards the dragon’s lair. Month after month, new outposts are built, until the final showdown with the dragon.

IMO, that would have been more epic of a Living Story than what we got the last few months.

http://sirvincentiii.com ~ In the beginning…there was Tarnished Coast…
Full set of 5 unique skills for both dual-wield weapon sets: P/P and D/D – Make it happen
PvE – DD/CS/AC – If that didn’t work, roll a Reaper or Revenant.

Quite a change

Mirta.5029

You know, any type of addition can be fun and appropriate. But in the meanwhile there should be serious updates. We lack those. And we get whole new update that concentrates on this one addition.
I lack this.

I do agree with you. But instead of bashing the addition then shouldn’t we ask for more serious updates in between? I’m sure that most of the player base could support the idea

No, I don’t think it would be out of their grasp. I also do not think that hardened charr warriors would drop what they’re doing with the threats looming over their world and escape into a virtual reality 16bit game simulator. It’s certainly not what I log into GW2 to do.

Well as the game goes what we’re doing now is living in the time of peace after beating Zhaithan, regaining forces and dabbling with politics and small time baddies of Tyria. If for example in the next year they would open one of the previous locations and start Personal Story 2.0 I would say that this year was very fitting. So for now I can say this – it doesn’t seem to break the lore and while it’s not what you like I don’t think that it strays away from the overall vision of the game.

SAB. Quaggan Backpacks. Jumping Puzzles. The Dreamer. Moot. Kites. These aren’t Easter Eggs. SAB is an entire update. The Dreamer is one of the legendary weapons. 8 foot tall charr warriors are running around Lion’s Arch with a kite trailing behind them and a mini Queen Jennah in tow.

1. I don’t see how jumping puzzles are out of character. I mean from a heroes point of view – someone hit a treasure in a hard to reach play, we venture and explore to find it. Some of the jumping puzzles even have stories behind them that you find while doing them. Like for example – pirate one in LA .
2. In regards to queen Jennah GW1 also had minies
3. I don’t see how kites are out of character either. Kite is a kite, it’s not a new invention and certainly not out of grasp of Tyrian technology.
4. Sab was already discussed – it is not going against the lore, however silly it is.
5. Weapons shooting rainbows? Quaggan back packs? Yes, I agree these things do break immersion. This is indeed where the game does not take itself seriously. However in my opinion this MMO is not worse for having them. Every MMO has their own silly stuff and I find the most ridiculous looking legendaries to be the ones that I like the best (going for the Quip myself). However this is my opinion and anyone disagreeing with this does have a fair point.

^
And even then you could argue that Legendaries are transdimentional because how do you get them? Trough Zomoros. Who is Zomoros? I don’t think that either of the Legendaries should belong to our dimention and therefore does stuff that’s weird.

(edited by Mirta.5029)

Quite a change

Posted by: mrstealth.6701

mrstealth.6701

While I do agree with the general point of the OP, I do have to say that I am looking forward to seeing more of SAB. It’s silly, and a bit out of place, although they did do as well as they could trying to fit it in and make sense. I do think the “Back to school” marketing scheme during the US’s real world back to school season is more than a kitteneesy.

I give SAB a pass because it’s just some silly nostalgic fun. The rest of the game…the content releases making little sense…the wild shifts in game philosophy/direction…changing a dungeon to be somewhat less difficult, then making it much more challenging a few weeks later…It just feels like there is no real direction and they are struggling to find where the game is going.

Footsteps Of War [FoW] | Yak’s Bend
Seer Of The Divine | Sarina Starlight | Tireasa | Caedyra

Quite a change

Posted by: Lord Kuru.3685

Lord Kuru.3685

I agree with you 100%.

The back to school bit, though, I believe is a play on the fact that it is back to school time now and also SAB has a “school” theme underlying it.

Quite a change

Gizmo.8623

I lack this.

I do agree with you. But instead of bashing the addition then shouldn’t we ask for more serious updates in between? I’m sure that most of the player base could support the idea

I was asking once so vigorously that I was infracted and my thread deleted :P

Quite a change

Posted by: funkylovemonkey.3097

funkylovemonkey.3097

The way I see it, if they pool all their resources from release up ’till now and allocate it to develop one large update, like Personal Story 2.0 (with new dragon), then there will be a big surge of players wanting to play the game today.

If they really want players to keep playing month after month, then they should have created a staging point in the Crystal Desert, for example. Then during that month, players will try to establish supply route, gather resources, reinforce the front line, etc. and some Dynamic Event where supply caravan is under attack, some creatures have broken thru the frontline, etc. Then next month we’ll see this staging point evolves into a fort then the next thing to do is push the frontline towards the dragon’s lair. Month after month, new outposts are built, until the final showdown with the dragon.

IMO, that would have been more epic of a Living Story than what we got the last few months.

That’s great and I would love that.

But you know if they did that, people would be on the forums complaining about how the developers have abandoned the rest of the world and they should be focusing more on getting people back into the beginning areas of the game rather then just focusing all their updates on the Crystal Desert.

Quite a change

Posted by: Nightarch.2943

Nightarch.2943

Agreed. The lack of serious content is bleeding my loyalty for the developers. For me, Guild Wars 2 isn’t immersive not in the slightest, hell it doesn’t even feel like Guild Wars to me anymore, it feels more like “Shiny Wars” or “Kiddy Wars” with the painfully so called “funny” dialogue being forced down my throat.

ArenaNet should gather all the profit they possibly can from this game and reintroduce prophesies, the original Guild Wars. And scrap this horrible project all together.

Attachments:

Guild Wars 2 is not a sequel to the original Guild Wars but merely an alternative story setting.