R.I.P Statue of Lion's Arch

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Shadowlancer.7102

Shadowlancer.7102

According to rumors and sources, a statue that represented a Lion that was placed to hover over a globe, that represented Tyria, with the fishes and ships surrounding that globe; will not be rebuilt and thus instead, a new monument will be built in its place.

It is said that the area will have two smaller Lions in its place and will be positioned in a way to form an archway representing a door way into the Mad King’s realm. This doorway will be sealed by a barrier, that may or may not wane in power, coming next Halloween.

Surrounded by the Lions, will be lush greenery composed of single tree similar to a willow tree. Among the area will be a couple of pillars that represents fishes in honor of the Quaggan.

This indeed is a sad day and to those that made screenshots or dance videos near this grand monument before its destruction. Treasure those memories.

Note: It was speculated that some of the community, sent in complaints, about the positioning of the Lion, in representation, and thus made a lot of concerns that it suggested many of inappropriate ideas. Thus hence the change.

(edited by Shadowlancer.7102)

Posted by: Morrigan.2809

Morrigan.2809

Nooooo! Tell me it is not true!
I love that statue- just the other day, I spent ages just watching the ships and the sea dragon go by looking at the fountains and how they change and even play a tune- My daughter loves that statue too.
I have countless screens of it.
This morning I was in the piazza thinking " I wonder when the Statue will be back to normal, I miss it."
People complained about it? Why?

Gunnar’s Hold

Posted by: Danny.1594

Danny.1594

dam i like that statue =/

Posted by: Zoid.2568

Zoid.2568

Only if it’s made better.

Posted by: Jayne.9251

Jayne.9251

I greatly enjoyed the lore behind that lion statue and the fish, etc … how all cultures came together and kept adding onto it.

L’enfer, c’est les autres

Posted by: Sarne.4528

Sarne.4528

Personally I was hoping that it would become the equivalent to GW1’s Statue of Grenth in Temple of the Ages (portal to the Underworld). Still, I’m keeping my fingers crossed.

Posted by: Tolmos.8395

Tolmos.8395

In really confused. People sent in complaints about the old lion representing inappropriate ideas? What was wrong with it?

Posted by: Animus.6073

Animus.6073

In really confused. People sent in complaints about the old lion representing inappropriate ideas? What was wrong with it?

It should be a Direwolf, not a Lion. kitten Lannisters!

All kidding aside, if people really complained about the lion they need to find a hole to crawl into and never come out.

Posted by: Frosty and Frosty Law Firm.4981

Frosty and Frosty Law Firm.4981

Godspeed you magnificent feline. May whatever comes next treat you kindly.

Grind Wars 2: Heart of Tears

Posted by: SomeKinda.3867

SomeKinda.3867

I love that statue. Personally I hope we have a hand in fixing it. Like a large world event to collect “donations” or the necessary materials needed to fix the statue.

Posted by: Koolthulu.9682

Koolthulu.9682

Makes sense. Would seem kind of silly to have it explode every year.

Posted by: Garambola.2461

Garambola.2461

Seriously? This is highly disappointing news. Someone needs to talk to the Captains. If there is a need to collect money for it, I will contribute.
(Hopefully get a better quality than this thing was. You did notice it was not solid stone, but something plastered over a frame?)

Posted by: Melchior.2135

Melchior.2135

According to rumors and sources

Could you please identify these sources?

Former Guild Wars 2 fan. RIP, ArenaNet’s integrity.

Posted by: Rannug.2731

Rannug.2731

I like the idea of changing it and I don’t think it has much to do with complains, whatever they where. The change would be done in real life as well if the old statue where destroyed. A new one, perhaps from the same artist would be created.
It would be easy enough for a-net to just paste the old one back, instead they go with the story and create a new one! Cudos!!

Posted by: Venirto.4208

Venirto.4208

Build a giant Quaggan statue. Everyone will be happy.

Posted by: Farzo.8410

Farzo.8410

Dynamic towns <3

Posted by: Corian.4068

Corian.4068

You, sir, are a gentleman and a scholar.

Hit level eighty
Priorities, what to do?
Spend hours with dye

Posted by: Blob.2863

Blob.2863

@Venirto <— This guy has the right idea.

Posted by: Zoid.2568

Zoid.2568

What will they add? A statue of Destiny’s Edge? Would actually make sense.

Posted by: Freyar.3254

Freyar.3254

Build a giant Charr Batman statue.. “It’s Candy Day!”

Posted by: Adine.2184

Adine.2184

Destiny’s edge failed thanks to Logan . why would yyou build a monument to them? heck if it wasn’t for Logan we wouldn’t have to deal with Kralkatorrik now .

Posted by: Wasselin.1235

Wasselin.1235

What was wrong with the old statue? I mean it did seem kind of impossible, like it would fall over if it was made in real life but it seemed okay for a video game. I’m not really that attached to it though— I just hope if they really are replacing it they replace it with something cool.

“Please find my dear friends… Dead or Alive” -redmakoto

Posted by: Rukia.4802

Rukia.4802

Godspeed you magnificent feline. May whatever comes next treat you kindly.

I see what you did there.

“I find this rain quite pleasant, it feels as though raindrops are blessing our victory”

Posted by: Fay.2735

Fay.2735

I thought I was meant to be the hero? Shouldn’t it be my statue in Lion’s Arch since I saved the world and all…

If not I vote quaggan pirate statue!

•— Fay Everdunes | Fay Erduna | Lilyfay (Fay.2735) — Mesmer/Revenant — [NA]FA — 8k±Hrs Played —•
Have you heard of the city? The ancient uru? Where there was power to write worlds

Posted by: Dinks.2478

Dinks.2478

According to rumors and sources, a statue that represented a Lion that was placed to hover over a globe, that represented Tyria, with the fishes and ships surrounding that globe; will not be rebuilt and thus instead, a new monument will be built in its place.

It is said that the area will have two smaller Lions in its place and will be positioned in a way to form an archway representing a door way into the Mad King’s realm. This doorway will be sealed by a barrier, that may or may not wane in power, coming next Halloween.

Surrounded by the Lions, will be lush greenery composed of single tree similar to a willow tree. Among the area will be a couple of pillars that represents fishes in honor of the Quaggan.

This indeed is a sad day and to those that made screenshots or dance videos near this grand monument before its destruction. Treasure those memories.

Note: It was speculated that some of the community, sent in complaints, about the positioning of the Lion, in representation, and thus made a lot of concerns that it suggested many of inappropriate ideas. Thus hence the change.

I’ll believe this nonsense when anet comments on it or it happens. Until then it is just more nonsense for people to cry about.

Melchior.2135

Independent investigation has turned up nothing so far. Can you please list your sources, Shadowlancer?

Posted by: Dinks.2478

Dinks.2478

Doubtful, hes just making kitten up from what I can find.

Shadowlancer.7102

I don’t reveal my sources, otherwise I would had posted it, but I have yet to be wrong in my threads, well… for those that don’t get deleted.

Just going to have to wait and see.

Posted by: Tandy.4781

Tandy.4781

Pretty sure it was posted by the dev who designed the statue it’s coming back. He posted in a thread in the Halloween section.

Posted by: Bobby Fizz.5706

Bobby Fizz.5706

Shadowlancer

I don’t reveal my sources

Anyone with a brain round here knows not to believe anything that hasn’t been posted by an Anet official. You’re just making up stuff.

Posted by: Gwaiyn.4395

Gwaiyn.4395

out of curiosity, if the new statue design was changed at the last minute to become a pillar dedicated to trahearne, would you guys be mad?

Gwaiyn – 80 Thief
Ryfaul – 80 Warrior
Fluene – 80 Mesmer

Posted by: Zeke Minus.5720

Zeke Minus.5720

The claims that the statue is going to be replaced are false, as stated by an Anet dev.

Posted by: Anlos.1920

Anlos.1920

out of curiosity, if the new statue design was changed at the last minute to become a pillar dedicated to trahearne, would you guys be mad?

Of course not, he’s the hero after all. He deserves it!

However, there’s not going to be a new statue. That was indeed stated by an ArenaNet employee in the Halloween Forum.

Posted by: Caedmon.6798

Caedmon.6798

Their changing the world,i like it

Posted by: Adine.2184

Adine.2184

@anols

He was as much a hero as Kormir was ,all he did was whine cause trouble then steal credit for what you did .

Shadowlancer.7102

@ Zeke Minus.5720

I read the dev post and to be honest if “Josh Foreman” – Arenanet, truly felt that way, why was it used as an icon of destruction in the first place?

Not only that, he is claiming to rebuild the same monument, only to be destroyed again, next Halloween? I’m not sure about you or “Josh Foreman” but to me…

What’s so Artistic about that? I mean boo hoo, you spent many hours of animation on it. Are you telling me, lore wise that this event has no place in Tyria and that the whole lore about “Mad King Thorn” is nothing more than just a mere holiday?

I mean what was the point of putting lore anyways of mentioning that he has not appeared in so many centuries? What was the point of learning about the “Mad King Thorn” ?

What happen to in-depth world change? Does the Developer even understand how dumb the very idea of rebuilding the same model only to be destroyed over and over every year?

The fact he said those words in that post, defies everything that was talked about in Pax or the idea of in-depth game changing environments, Arenanet has claimed publicly, that… that was their motto.

I’m sorry but I think the Dev is throwing you into a loop hole and I trust my sources of change.

If in fact, I am wrong to trust the source of my information, then this is another flaw by major pour-portions about Arenanet’s philosophy on how they want to direct their game in future content.

Edit: What bothers me the most is that a Developer, whined about how much work in putting into a simple area like that. Which leads me to question that if you are going to make such a big deal about that? Who’s to say what kind of decent content we are going to get, without hitting the rehashed content?

I am sorry but that was a very poorly set up post in reply about the situation and leaves alot of questions and concerns about future content.

Posted by: Lande.5782

Lande.5782

Talk about trying way too hard.

A gear treadmill in Guild Wars, seriously?
http://i.imgur.com/Gt6Za.jpg

Zeke Minus.5720

snip

The dev would have worded what he said differently if he wanted to suggest that the lion statue was not making a return.

Furthermore, I know he would have not posted what he did if he thought he was wrong, or didn’t know if the statue was being replaced. It would also be detrimental to the image of Anet if he were to lie about it.

You have your source, but I’d trust a dev over an unnamed source on this topic. It’s not something that they’d find much worth in hiding or deceiving the fate of the statue.

Tandy.4781

Honestly, if “world changes” meant a statue is destroyed that’s pretty lame. It coming back is fine to me.

World changes should be epic in scale, not an architectural change in one statue.

Shadowlancer.7102

Honestly, if “world changes” meant a statue is destroyed that’s pretty lame. It coming back is fine to me.

World changes should be epic in scale, not an architectural change in one statue.

That’s like saying… oh “Elder Dragon Zhaitan” didn’t really die and he’s back, 1 or 2 years later.

Shadowlancer.7102

snip

The dev would have worded what he said differently if he wanted to suggest that the lion statue was not making a return.

Furthermore, I know he would have not posted what he did if he thought he was wrong, or didn’t know if the statue was being replaced. It would also be detrimental to the image of Anet if he were to lie about it.

You have your source, but I’d trust a dev over an unnamed source on this topic. It’s not something that they’d find much worth in hiding or deceiving the fate of the statue.

That’s fine, its a dev post and I dont expect no less for you to wander off from it.

I am just saying its a stupid idea is all, that you are going to explode the statue, over and over, and replacing it over and over every Halloween.

Its just a very bad and dumb idea. Its left me with mix messages how future content is going to be, regarding to what Arenanet has said previous earlier how they “were” going to direct their game.

Edit: And… like I said if “Josh Foreman” truly felt that way about the statue, then Arenanet should had not destroyed it in the first place. Arenanet should not had called it a “Dynamic Event” and that’s that. Its just that simple.

Posted by: Kain Francois.4328

Kain Francois.4328

I like the idea for a Trahearne statue. He is the symbol of unity and power of the combined races. He deserves it for defeating Zhaitan!

Zeke Minus.5720

I definitely see where you’re coming from, and it would be pretty awesome if they came up with an inventive way to replace it.

Reading random dev posts recently, however, leads me to believe they don’t have the time for that kind of stuff at the moment. It seems they have a lot of other content to work on and push out in the coming months, and I’d rather them do that (along side hefty profession bug fixes) than to worry about replacing an asset they already have.

Aside from this, your post was about a source saying that the statue was going to be changed, and this has been found untrue. I’m just posting what was said.

Posted by: Beraphim.3476

Beraphim.3476

snip

I don’t think you should be making such a huge deal out of it. Besides, it’s always possible that next Halloween event won’t be the same as this one (this event seemed to introduce the mad king to this game for first time – at least for me).

Shadowlancer.7102

@ Zeke Minus.5720

No I did say that it was rumor to begin with from the sources I was looking at. Personally I thought it was true when Act 4 started and that the portal was sealed but had a different background within the circle to block the portal.

I am just severely disappointed that the Dev replied that its just a “Rehash” in terms of summarizing his post, should Arenanet, go through with this.

However, I am criticizing Arenanet now about their claims about this MMO being different on the basis of “World Changing”, “Dynamic Events”, and what you do “Changes the world around you by environment and lore update”, and ect ect.

After reading his post, he just broke everything they promised and discussed and rather or not they had the time or not to reflect this change, you do not make advertisement claims like this to the world for previous, new, old, or returning customers of a product you promise, only to change it your plans about the game that hasn’t been out long, that has been planned for more than 5+ years.

Its a flaw, nothing more to be said.

Edit: Just adding this quote to prove my point.

Quote: “Not that we will never permanently destroy anything. In fact… well, I can’t say more than that.”

Arenanet – “Josh Foreman”

Tandy.4781

That’s like saying… oh “Elder Dragon Zhaitan” didn’t really die and he’s back, 1 or 2 years later.

Yep. Because a piece of architecture in town equates to a dragon, that’s a fair comparison lol.

Posted by: Palleon.1657

Palleon.1657

The lion was… ‘very well endowed’, so I guessed some parents group must have complained, so they destroyed it and are going to make a new one.

Maybe.

Posted by: Kana.6793

Kana.6793

@ Shadowlancer

1. Why do you keep putting Josh Foreman’s name in quotes like that, like you don’t believe it’s his name or something? O.o

2. I don’t know what your supposed sources are, but I’m more inclined to believe a direct statement from the guy who made the statue in the first place.

3. The Mad King lore has been in GW1 for years and yes, Mad King Day is just a holiday.

4. He was not whining when he talked about how long the statue took to make.

5. In the real world, if an iconic statue or building in a city is destroyed by an enemy it’s quite common to rebuild it as it was. It shows the resilience of the people.

Shadowlancer.7102

Ladies and Gentleman, I am tired of getting notices about new replies on this thread.

I have made my points very clear on what the Developer did wrong after reading his post about the situation, that has cause doubt about how future content is going to be handled.

Bumping this thread with ridicules filler, back-tracking, or re-wording topics or sentences, is plain childish to the point that this has become “Trolling Methods”.

This is a plain “Agree to Disagree” from now on amongst the community and my opinion.

This is the very last time I will even bother with this thread and will devote my time on playing the game and focusing my attention on future threads by me or other threads that I feel that needs to be supported or given opinions.

Good day.

Melchior.2135

So in other words… you’re lying, you were always lying, you’re upset you got called out over it, and you’re trying to transform your frustration for your un-sourced inaccurate prediction being proven false into an attack on a Developer’s credibility? I’ll keep that in mind if I encounter any of your posts in the future.