Revert Guard Staff Changes

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Ragnarox.9601

Ragnarox.9601

Seems like someone nerfed guardian by subjective feelings against it.

Its like putting me in charge of balancing things first I would nerf:
-Thief mobility
-Reaper condition dmg
- Warrior healing and dmg
- Mesmer condi dmg
- Revenant hammer dmg by half
- Druid stealth and pet dmg by half
- Elementalis everything by half
-and leave engie alone this time cause its my 2nd char

- And finally buff guardians by 50% everything

but hey its just me, just like some balance dev.

Posted by: Spurnshadow.3678

Spurnshadow.3678

OK, i do recognize that the staff is supposed to be a support weapon in some regard, but there are better choices. It’s designed to be an aoe weapon limited to a cone in front of the guardian.

Here’s a quote from another post in the WvW forums. Maybe this will shed some light about just how big of a nerf this is:

“Let me put this in another way as I don’t think people understand just how much of a nerf this is. While the range has been cut in half, it’s effectiveness has been nerfed way more than that. At 600 unit range with a 170 degree ark, it covered an area of 534,000 units. Cut the range in half, it will now cover an area of 134,000 units. That translates to a 75% reduction in area! That’s insane!”

Blackgate Native. It takes tremendous strength and skill to pull a lever.

(edited by Spurnshadow.3678)

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

OK, i do recognize that the staff is supposed to be a support weapon in some regard, but there are better choices. It’s designed to be an aoe weapon limited to a cone in front of the guardian.

Here’s a quote from another post in the WvW forums. Maybe this will shed some light about just how big of a nerf this is:

“Let me put this in another way as I don’t think people understand just how much of a nerf this is. While the range has been cut in half, it’s effectiveness has been nerfed way more than that. At 600 unit range with a 170 degree ark, it covered an area of 534,000 units. Cut the range in half, it will now cover an area of 134,000 units. That translates to a 75% reduction in area! That’s insane!”

Just out of curiosity. Does that calculation of 75% reduction of area include the increase of the attack angle from 90 degrees to 110 degrees?

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Rauderi.8706

Rauderi.8706

Just out of curiosity. Does that calculation of 75% reduction of area include the increase of the attack angle from 90 degrees to 110 degrees?

Just by the basic geometry math, cutting the range (radius) by half reduces the effective area to 1/4, so at least the 75% reduction is partially correct.

110/90 * .25 = ~30%.

Still a huge increase in the overall area and probably should have justified a damage boost to the auto attack, at least.

Many alts; handle it!
“I’m finding companies should sell access to forums,
it seems many like them better than the games they comment on.” -Horrorscope.7632

Spurnshadow.3678

As far as I’ve known, the attack angle of Staff 1 has always been 170 degrees. That’s what I based my calculation on.

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

As far as I’ve known, the attack angle of Staff 1 has always been 170 degrees. That’s what I based my calculation on.

The game release notes from yesterday says it used to be 90 degrees.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Babytater.6803

Babytater.6803

Please anet…. We want our staff back. Please give it back to us :’(

Posted by: zealex.9410

zealex.9410

Just by the basic geometry math, cutting the range (radius) by half reduces the effective area to 1/4, so at least the 75% reduction is partially correct.

110/90 * .25 = ~30%.

Still a huge increase in the overall area and probably should have justified a damage boost to the auto attack, at least.

well it justified the buffs to the rest of the weapon skills lul

Posted by: Zackie.8923

Zackie.8923

revert or riot!

Posted by: Sojourner.4621

Sojourner.4621

It was 90 degrees, never 170

Posted by: Brigand.9502

Brigand.9502

If you used staff in WvW on your Guardian (probably all of we Guardians, especially in lag fests), you were probably in melee range anyways in ball vs. ball fighting. This shouldn’t change much in that respect.

Maybe this will encourage people to quit camping staff.

Posted by: Kaltyn of Torbins Deep.2946

Kaltyn of Torbins Deep.2946

Pi*600^2*(90/360) =282743
Pi*300^2(110/360)=86393
86393/282743=0.30555
So its roughly a 70% DECREASE in area effected.

Posted by: ArchonWing.9480

ArchonWing.9480

Well, it is useless as a weapon. The only thing I use it for is a speed boost on my key runner and as a loot stick.

Which means not that the nerf needs to be reversed but that the Guardian staff needs to be reworked.

Useless?

Only the most common weapon in the game on the most common and meta class (not even HoT, vanilla guard). You’re not even allowed to carry anything but the staff. It’s the primary weapon.

If you play WvW that is.

Since EU was down primetime yesterday we cant really tell the effect but I can tell you… tonights gonna be fun. Oh the rage. The rage of it all.

But granted, I’m guessing this change will only mean that instead of 60/40 guards/necros we will see that inverted… meaning the condi nerf did nothing. Just stack more necros.

Wait did they finally nerf deathly chill so that we can actually use something other than necros?

Logs on to check

Noooooooope.

Lawl.

No one plays WvW. Or at least that’s what they say on the WvW forums. Frequently. ^^

That’s clearly what the balance team thinks, though. The grand majority of changes don’t mention WvW in the reasoning.

It’s not the first or last time WvW has been damaged by changes intended for PvE or PvP.

They only fixed ghost thief, for example, because someone was abusing it in raids.

Incidentially the meta had been moving away from staff anyways, as the concept of range and gank had vanished due to the massive amounts of sustain, projectile hate and point blank condi damage. Essentially it was called the “toilet bowl meta”

It started to look like some variant of this:
http://metabattle.com/wiki/Build:Guardian_-_Merciful_Frontline

For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards,
for there you have been and there you will long to return.

(edited by ArchonWing.9480)

Posted by: PookieDaWombat.6209

PookieDaWombat.6209

As a guardian main, the staff changes weren’t that bad. Sorry, its a support weapon. Always has been. Also, while it can tag a bunch of things at once, it can still do that. Don’t know how you all use it, but when I was just trying to get loots I just GS pulled friends to me then staff smacked them after giving them the whirly-whirl.

That doesn’t change with the staff changes.

Other classes got real nerfs. Game breaking level stuff for them even. We kind of made it out of this round of BS fairly safe all things considered.

[OTR] – Greck Howlbane – Guardian
Soraya Mayhew – Thief
Melissa Koris – Engie – SF for Life!

Spurnshadow.3678

Yeah, so as other’s have pointed out, my basis for calculations was wrong, but it still amounts to a drastic change. 70% reduction in area as opposed to my miscalculated 75%. That’s still huge. It means I won’t be hitting 5 targets per attack, which means the damage is gonna be totally sub par compared to other weapons, and ruins some builds, such as AH with EM.

I don’t understand everyone laughing about loosing our “loot stick” as necros and eles and thieves tag just as much and have access to massive frequency of aoe abilities that hit for a lot more dps.

They need to either increase the damage co-efficient or make it a 360 degree attack in order for the staff to be a competitive weapon.