in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Blix.8021

Blix.8021

it was a good 2 years

RIP keyfarming [merged]

Posted by: pdavis.8031

pdavis.8031

Yes. Yes it was….now what are you on about?

“You know what the chain of command is?
It’s the chain I beat you with until you
recognize my command!”

RIP keyfarming [merged]

Posted by: Alugjen Darlas.5329

Alugjen Darlas.5329

Wellp it was fun , probably the only farm that manged to stay alive for more then 1 month Q.Q.

[SC]Nine Inch Nose -205 Precurssors .

RIP keyfarming [merged]

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Why? Did the blog post indicate we will no longer receive keys at the end of the 1 – 10 story level arc? I didn’t see anything about what the rewards would be. I mean, it’s possible, but we don’t really know one way or the another right now.

RIP keyfarming [merged]

Posted by: Blaeys.3102

Blaeys.3102

I would wait and see what the new level up rewards look like for early levels before worrying too much about this.

RIP keyfarming [merged]

Posted by: skullmount.1758

skullmount.1758

I think he’s talking about this: https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/a-fresh-start-the-new-player-experience-in-guild-wars-2/

We’ve also taken this opportunity to go back and reevaluate the rewards of each of the major story chapters. We’ve done some pretty major overhauls to make the rewards for completing chapters feel much more compelling than they were in the past. Personal story chapters will absolutely be worth completing for your character as you progress. Similar to level-up rewards, we won’t be able to retroactively apply these to current level 80 characters, but all future characters you create or level up to 80 will benefit from this system.

Darkhaven server
Please give us a keyring…

RIP keyfarming [merged]

Blix.8021

I’ve heard in china you unlock the first story arc at level 10, so even if you do get a key you have to grind for 10 levels. So you could still technically farm keys, but it will be vastly less efficient.

RIP keyfarming [merged]

Posted by: Andred.1087

Andred.1087

Good enough, key farming is stupid. Edited for accuracy.

“You’ll PAY to know what you really think.” ~ J. R. “Bob” Dobbs

(edited by Andred.1087)

RIP keyfarming [merged]

Posted by: Silvercyclone.1462

Silvercyclone.1462

I’ve heard in china you unlock the first story arc at level 10, so even if you do get a key you have to grind for 10 levels. So you could still technically farm keys, but it will be vastly less efficient.

Thats the way it sounds in the announcement. I still think there will be keyfarmers if the rewards are skill keys. Free keys are still free keys.

RIP keyfarming [merged]

Posted by: Auesis.7301

Auesis.7301

Good enough, key farming is stupid, and obviously not something they wanted players to do.

And it was also the only thing keeping BL weapon skins from being 10x more expensive than they currently are.

Fantastic. /s

Guess you also missed that they said it was perfectly okay.

Gnome Child [Gc]
Resident Thief

(edited by Auesis.7301)

RIP keyfarming [merged]

Blix.8021

Good enough, key farming is stupid, and obviously not something they wanted players to do.

hope you don’t enjoy weapon skins for 60 gold, because in a few months they will be 400g

RIP keyfarming [merged]

Posted by: Stephapanda.5804

Stephapanda.5804

But they have commented multiple times and said that it’s fine and not exploitative? I don’t exactly understand your issue with it. Is someone forcing you to key farm against your will?

RIP keyfarming [merged]

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Well, I don’t feel it’s a grind to level up to 10, but I’m sure some people do. To me, it’s worth getting a key. I don’t do the 20-minute key farm, anyway. Lol. I usually don’t get my key until level 14 or so. I just enjoy starting characters, and the key is a big bonus.

If players no longer find it worth it, that will be unfortunate for them. Some people prefer running dungeons to amass wealth, some prefer farming for loot or mats, some like the chance for big ticket items from keys.

I hope keys will still be available through leveling, no matter what time the key may drop. I will likely still go after them. But, that’s just me.

RIP keyfarming [merged]

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

I’m trying very hard not to jump to this same conclusion honestly, having just read today’s blog post. Considering there really is no good way to obtain keys currently, if this does in fact remove them from story rewards, it’ll feel like an intentional slap in the face.

scowls at Anet

Of course, we could be over reacting. They could still be a reward, but the run might need adjustment to compensate for the new systems.

We need more information.

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

RIP keyfarming [merged]

Posted by: Stars.2179

Stars.2179

Time to go buy all the new chaos skin! Price going to raise to 500g soon.

RIP keyfarming [merged]

Posted by: ZudetGambeous.9573

ZudetGambeous.9573

Considering there really is no good way to obtain keys currently, if this does in fact remove them from story rewards, it’ll feel like an intentional slap in the face.

1. Pull out credit card
2. Open Gem store
3. Buy pack of Black Lion Keys

Keys are supposed to be their main source of RNG revenue… it was never intended for people to get them for free.

RIP keyfarming [merged]

Posted by: Celestina.2894

Celestina.2894

Enjoy your stupidly prices RNG skins.

RIP keyfarming [merged]

Auesis.7301

Considering there really is no good way to obtain keys currently, if this does in fact remove them from story rewards, it’ll feel like an intentional slap in the face.

1. Pull out credit card
2. Open Gem store

Keys are supposed to be their main source of RNG revenue… it was never intended for people to get them for free.

Except there have been multiple red posts in that past saying that keyfarming was perfectly okay.

Gnome Child [Gc]
Resident Thief

RIP keyfarming [merged]

pdavis.8031

Maybe I’m crazy, but I saw nothing in that blog post that mentioned anything about keys. They did mention that they would reevaluate rewards. My guess is that the gear you get to choose from will actually become useful. But removing keys as a PS story reward? I’m not seeing it, but maybe I forgot my tinfoil hat….

recognize my command!”

RIP keyfarming [merged]

LanfearShadowflame.3189

But they have commented multiple times and said that it’s fine and not exploitative? I don’t exactly understand your issue with it. Is someone forcing you to key farm against your will?

Keep in mind they said they same thing about the QD champ train. Colin stated that they were just people playing the game. Out in the open world. That’s what they wanted.

Look what happened to it…

RIP keyfarming [merged]

Posted by: Lavafrost of Maguuma.6807

Lavafrost of Maguuma.6807

Well this is absolute crap.

They should make the 1-10 story start at level 1, NOT level 10.

RIP keyfarming [merged]

Posted by: Tommyknocker.6089

Tommyknocker.6089

I have nothing against players that want to make their eyes bleed by doing repetitive content ad nauseam. That being said the rewards for actually buying the keys seems trivial, I believe, because a certain percentage of the player base diminishes the value of said keys by farming them perpetually.

Hopefully (dreaming), if they move the rewards for said keys to be more of a nuisance, maybe those of us that buy keys will see an increase in the rewards offered from the chests. Most likely a pipe dream, but the main reason I haven’t bought keys for a very long time is due to the rewards offered in a chest.

Fancy interface for the chests aside; ANet can wrap crap in a shiny package all they want but in the end you are still unwrapping crap.

(edited by Tommyknocker.6089)

RIP keyfarming [merged]

Posted by: Lavafrost of Maguuma.6807

Lavafrost of Maguuma.6807

Maybe I’m crazy, but I saw nothing in that blog post that mentioned anything about keys. They did mention that they would reevaluate rewards. My guess is that the gear you get to choose from will actually become useful. But removing keys as a PS story reward? I’m not seeing it, but maybe I forgot my tinfoil hat….

It’s not that, it’s having to level to ten to do the story in the first place.

RIP keyfarming [merged]

Posted by: Celestina.2894

Celestina.2894

Considering so far they’ve only brought over the chinese changes with little or no change, it’s safe to assume the first “bundle” is unlocked at level 10.

This is bad, even for new players who don’t key farm.

RIP keyfarming [merged]

ZudetGambeous.9573

1. Pull out credit card
2. Open Gem store

Except there have been multiple red posts in that past saying that keyfarming was perfectly okay.

Lol… they also stated they have nothing against farming… Then they added DR… then they nerfed over 100 farm spots…

What they say has little or no meaning.

RIP keyfarming [merged]

Posted by: anzenketh.3759

anzenketh.3759

1. Pull out credit card
2. Open Gem store

They also said they reserve the right to change the way rewards are done. As they did. I still think the level 10 will reward keys. You will just have to play more then to level 5 to get the key. Level 10 is not that far off if that is where it unlocks. I think level 20 is when the curve levels off.

In Game: Storm Bluff Isle — Anzz, Anzenketh Kyoto

RIP keyfarming [merged]

Posted by: HHR LostProphet.4801

HHR LostProphet.4801

“More compelling rewards”
So we get more keys now? /sarcasm
Yeah, probably, or most likely, they are stopping key farming…
Great… now all weapon skins are gemstore only too -.-

RIP keyfarming [merged]

Posted by: Vol.7601

Vol.7601

Not sure why people are kittened at Anet. Key farming was here a lot longer than it was supposed to be. Anet was shooting themselves in the foot by having it in game for so long.

It’s about time we have weapon prices that are now in line with the risk of gambling on buying keys. It was a market inefficiency that had to be corrected.

RIP keyfarming [merged]

Blix.8021

If you could buy the skins for 250 gems or something I wouldn’t complain, but without the large amount of players farming keys, weapons skins will be absurdly expensive in gold, and you can’t buy them directly on the gem store. I refuse to pay for the chance at a skin, so it’s a good thing I like they ley line skins, cause I’m never getting another set of BLC skins.

RIP keyfarming [merged]

LanfearShadowflame.3189

1. Pull out credit card
2. Open Gem store

rolls eyes

The gemstore in general is the “main source” of revenue. I highly doubt keys are a main source within that. If they were, you’d see them adding kitten to the chests a heck of a lot more often. Instead we see more armors, weapons, outfits, minis, and dyes.

According to a lot of your posts, Zudet, the players aren’t intended to get anything for free. Stop with the money creep scares.

RIP keyfarming [merged]

HHR LostProphet.4801

Not sure why people are kittened at Anet. Key farming was here a lot longer than it was supposed to be. Anet was shooting themselves in the foot by having it in game for so long.

It’s about time we have weapon prices that are now in line with the risk of gambling on buying keys. It was a market inefficiency that had to be corrected.

Yeah, if you want to kill your game most effectively, you should lock all your new weapon skins and armor skins behind paywalls, that’s the perfect way to go.

RIP keyfarming [merged]

Posted by: Astral Projections.7320

Astral Projections.7320

Guess I’ll hold on to the tickets I have now, see what the weapon prices do in the future after this or hold on for personal use.

Key farming was a way for me to grind 100 gold each month or two, by selling one weapon at the trading post for that much.

I’ll be doing other stuff of course, but so will many of the other key farmers. If key farming doesn’t start till level 10 then this is really going to affect the prices of the new weapon skins in the TP.

(edited by Astral Projections.7320)

RIP keyfarming [merged]

Posted by: Dusty Moon.4382

Dusty Moon.4382

1. Pull out credit card
2. Open Gem store

rolls eyes

The gemstore in general is the “main source” of revenue. I highly doubt keys are a main source within that. If they were, you’d see them adding kitten to the chests a heck of a lot more often. Instead we see more armors, weapons, outfits, minis, and dyes.

According to a lot of your posts, Zudet, the players aren’t intended to get anything for free. Stop with the money creep scares.

The ‘BOX’ is the main source of income as everyone who plays the game has to buy it. The CS is extra income not the primary income. No one has to buy anything from the CS to play this game.

RIP keyfarming [merged]

Vol.7601

Yeah, if you want to kill your game most effectively, you should lock all your new weapon skins and armor skins behind paywalls, that’s the perfect way to go.

I feel like I’m the only one around here who recognized that GW2 operated on a system where you would have to pay for extra vanity/skins. Thank goodness we don’t have to pay for extra stats.

And I guess we can completely ignore the currency exchange just to suit your argument

RIP keyfarming [merged]

pdavis.8031

Considering so far they’ve only brought over the chinese changes with little or no change, it’s safe to assume the first “bundle” is unlocked at level 10.

If the first story was unlocked at level 10, then they would have to do away with the whole beginning part of the game. There is nothing anywhere that says the story starts at level 10. Or anything that even hints at a suggestion of an insuation of a rumor of starting the personal story at level 10. A change like that would surly be announced, just like making the PvP button invisible until level 18. This feels like making a mountain out of a mole hill.

Anyone remember the doom and gloom of the april 15th patch? That beserker was going to nerfed into the ground, and no one would be playing beserker after the 15th? Or that megaservers would completely destroy the game making it impossible to be able to do the world events or temples? Yeah none of that happened.

recognize my command!”

RIP keyfarming [merged]

Posted by: OnyX.9027

OnyX.9027

1. Pull out credit card
2. Open Gem store
3. Welcome to GW2

Gem Store is their main source revenue… it was never intended for people to get anything for free.

Thought I would amend that for you so it is more factual

Reservoir Shugo – Necro
Soul of Onyx – Guardian

RIP keyfarming [merged]

Vol.7601

1. Pull out credit card
2. Open Gem store

rolls eyes

The ‘BOX’ is the main source of income as everyone who plays the game has to buy it. The CS is extra income not the primary income. No one has to buy anything from the CS to play this game.

The box is not the main source of income. You think a modern MMO company can sustain itself on a box fee, along with paying all the essential personnel involved in MMOs,

RIP keyfarming [merged]

Auesis.7301

If the first story was unlocked at level 10, then they would have to do away with the whole beginning part of the game. There is nothing anywhere that says the story starts at level 10. Or anything that even hints at a suggestion of an insuation of a rumor of starting the personal story at level 10. A change like that would surly be announced, just like making the PvP button invisible until level 18. This feels like making a mountain out of a mole hill.

Anyone remember the doom and gloom of the april 15th patch? That beserker was going to nerfed into the ground, and no one would be playing beserker after the 15th? Or that megaservers would completely destroy the game making it impossible to be able to do the world events or temples? Yeah none of that happened.

Well, that is exactly what is happening on the Chinese client. Your story doesn’t continue after the tutorial until you reach level 10. Everything we are getting is basically a port of the Chinese system. There is a basis for this.

Gnome Child [Gc]
Resident Thief

RIP keyfarming [merged]

HHR LostProphet.4801

I feel like I’m the only one around here who recognized that GW2 operated on a system where you would have to pay for extra vanity/skins. Thank goodness we don’t have to pay for extra stats.

And I guess we can completely ignore the currency exchange just to suit your argument

Oh yeah, wonderful argument. All players are completely capable of dumping 18g for one key. /sarcasm
Guild Wars 2 is pay2win by their own definition. The “endgame” doesn’t resolve around getting better gear but more skins. And almost every armor- or weaponskin they’ve added is locked behind a paywall.

RIP keyfarming [merged]

pdavis.8031

Well, that is exactly what is happening on the Chinese client. Your story doesn’t continue after the tutorial until you reach level 10. Everything we are getting is basically a port of the Chinese system. There is a basis for this.

So while it may exist in the Chinese system, Making such a change here would surely be announced. It seems they are just bringing the leveling system and reward notifications over.

Edit: Until there is a red post on this matter, I am going to assume that this is wild, paraniod speculation and nothing more.

recognize my command!”

(edited by pdavis.8031)

RIP keyfarming [merged]

Vol.7601

You’re right, let’s just have everything in the game handed out for free or at vendor price and hope Anet someone ends up with millions of dollars in revenue from box sales to sustain itself

RIP keyfarming [merged]

Posted by: Jski.6180

Jski.6180

Well we realty do not know how the rewarded are going to changes maybe we will see more then one key giving to you at a higher arc story level rewarded. I would not mind seeing them just give you all the keys at the end of the full ps we can start to see speed runs of the full ps then get groups together to play it out during a week or so.

Main : Jski Imaginary ELE (Necromancer)
Guild : OBEY (The Legacy) I call it Obay , TLC (WvW) , UNIV (other)
Server : FA

RIP keyfarming [merged]

HHR LostProphet.4801

You’re right, let’s just have everything in the game handed out for free or at vendor price and hope Anet someone ends up with millions of dollars in revenue from box sales to sustain itself

I wonder why you don’t want to understand that they don’t have lock every new skin behind a paywall. Not to mention that they could’ve pushed for an expansion to get new money.

RIP keyfarming [merged]

Andred.1087

Oh yeah, wonderful argument. All players are completely capable of dumping 18g for one key. /sarcasm

18g is pretty easy to get… and if you don’t think it’s worth it, don’t buy. They’re just skins.

RIP keyfarming [merged]

Andred.1087

I wonder why you don’t want to understand that they don’t have lock every new skin behind a paywall. Not to mention that they could’ve pushed for an expansion to get new money.

Expansions are out in the MMO world. They’re a thing of the past, and ANet is not going to make any for GW2. And are you forgetting the entire set of skins that got released in Dry Top? Maybe you don’t like them. I don’t really, either. They’re still not locked behind paywall.

RIP keyfarming [merged]

Vol.7601

Because it’s perfect business sense.

Every company needs a steady revenue stream. Box sales are not a steady revenue stream, nor are bank slots or inventory slots.

The only steady revenue stream Anet has is through three components – key sales, gem-gold exchange and character slots, the latter being very minor.

By having skins released through the gem store, it entices players every month/quarter to buy them. If they had a policy to never release skins through the gem store, that’s one whole chunk of revenue missed out.

I understand that you’d like everything to be cheap and free – me too – but I’m a realist and understand why they put this ‘restriction’

And yes, an expansion is new money but it’s a whole lump sum of revenue, not to mention the intensive costs involved in making it (development, marketing, distribution)

RIP keyfarming [merged]

LanfearShadowflame.3189

No one’s asking for that. Ok, I’ll amend that, reasonable people aren’t asking for that. We understand that the gem store is the primary source of income for the company, so obviously they need to actually sell things for real money in order to keep the lights on. However, it feels pretty kittenty to be told doing something is ok (like key farming) only to have them turn around a rather short period of time later, and yank the carpet out from under you. If keys do disappear from story rewards it’ll very much feel that way.

There is already the rising concern that they are nerfing all the means of making gold in the game to “encourage” more people to play via their credit card. This (as Zudet aptly demonstrates) will further encourage that line of thinking, which can only end badly for Anet.

RIP keyfarming [merged]

Posted by: Relshdan.6854

Relshdan.6854

i actually agree with this, in terms of skin value vs BL chest risk…..as long as you can still earn the same amount of keys doing the PS as before.

just push earning keys to higher lvls….don’t remove them as rewards.

Chaos Organ (Ele), Pistol Opera (Thief), Modular Man (Eng)
MARA (EU) Gunnar’s Hold

RIP keyfarming [merged]

ZudetGambeous.9573

1. Pull out credit card
2. Open Gem store

rolls eyes

It isn’t a scare… it is a fact. The game continues to operate based on items bought from the gem store with real money. Since that is the only way they make money that is where most of the resources go.

In-game Weapons added since launch:
1. Ascended
2. Wintersday
3. Insect
4. Halloween
5. SAB

Gem Store weapons added since launch:
1. Scarlite
2. Wintersday
3. Halloween
4. Lovestruck
5. Phoenix
6. Leyline
7. Chaos
8. Zodiac
9. Jade
10. Torrment
11. Aetherized
12. Fused
13. Dreamthistle
14. Braham
15. Marjory
16. Kassmeer
17. Rox

That is just how the game functions. This change is inline with that function.

RIP keyfarming [merged]

HHR LostProphet.4801

Because it’s perfect business sense.

A game is not a business. Players can’t be seen as money source. Ofcourse they have to make money. But if they see the player only as a way to make money, the game isn’t any better as a F2P title from EA.