RIP keyfarming [merged]

RIP keyfarming [merged]

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: DarksunG.9537

DarksunG.9537

Hopefully they will just remove Black Lion Keys from the game entirely. It’s a horrible gambling system that is corrosive to the game they’ve made. Just sell Black Lion weapons on the TP for a fair price and don’t force people to gamble for them.

I’m surprised there haven’t been class action lawsuits against gaming companies for some of the RNG stuff they put in cash shops. Why? Because it is essentially gambling that somehow escapes from any local, state, or national laws that would normally regulate that sort of thing. Maybe they need to move their servers to Indian Lands or put them on boats in international waters or something.

[edit]

Here is how I would revamp the current system and improve sales in the gem shop:

1. Remove BL Keys and Chests from the game. Seriously.
  2. Sell BL Tickets directly in the gem store for some reasonable price.
  3. Add a chance for BL ticket scraps and tickets to drop in game
  4. Revamp pricing of all the boosters and other stuff you normally get from the chests. This stuff is not worthwhile to buy at current prices.

I personally hate when gamers talk about lawsuits, because it’s just so silly, but I do have to admit the whole lockbox phenomenon is absolutely gambling. The idea that “you always get something” is silly. No one plays the lottery to win $3. The primary driving factor of lockboxes is to get something rare. & the fact is you usually get something almost worthless.

On top of the rarity of ticket scraps, they force you to get 10 just to make 1. Its a system obviously designed to make chunks of money off whales. It leaves the average player unable to get almost anything of value. It certainly doesn’t reflect the launch values of “we want to earn our money” but it does work. I dunno. I felt like Anet’s business practice was so good in GW1, I bought things just to show appreciation for the product & honesty. But now I feel like trying to focus on buying less & less to try to make the opposite point.

LS being free is nice, but if it means I have to gamble for my rewards & never get expansions, I’d rather pay a sub & buy an expansion.

RIP keyfarming [merged]

Posted by: Andred.1087

Andred.1087

Anet has also had lost revenue opportunities from those who would rather key farm than buy keys. The lower price of the skin on the TP also lowers the gold/gem rate to the disadvantage of Anet, although that calculation is a lot more complicated and it’s not 100% affected.

This assumes that people who key farm would spend $ on keys in the absence of key farming.

I think that’s a fair assumption. Do you think there are zero people key farming that would be amenable to buying keys in absence of an easier alternative?

“You’ll PAY to know what you really think.” ~ J. R. “Bob” Dobbs

RIP keyfarming [merged]

Posted by: HHR LostProphet.4801

HHR LostProphet.4801

Because it’s perfect business sense.

A game is not a business. Players can’t be seen as money source. Ofcourse they have to make money. But if they see the player only as a way to make money, the game isn’t any better as a F2P title from EA.

A game is a business. Players are a money source. The birth of Pay for DLC made this happen, phone App games with in app percheses made this happen. EA just do it more more than others, and don’t try to hide it.

I advice you to never create a game.

RIP keyfarming [merged]

Posted by: BrotherBelial.3094

BrotherBelial.3094

A game is not a business. Players can’t be seen as money source. Ofcourse they have to make money. But if they see the player only as a way to make money, the game isn’t any better as a F2P title from EA.

A game is a business. Players are a money source. The birth of Pay for DLC made this happen, phone App games with in app percheses made this happen. EA just do it more more than others, and don’t try to hide it.

I have no plans too. But consumers have made game companies see this as ok. I remember when you get new maps and such for game for free. These days you pay something like £15 for 3 maps. Ten years ago they would be a free update. I just don’t see why people act surprised my game company’s milking there player base.

i5 4690K @ 3.5Mhz|8GB HyperX Savage 1600mHz|MSI H81M-E34|MSI GTX 960 Gaming 2GB|
|Seasonic S12G 650W|Win10 Pro X64| Corsair Spec 03 Case|

RIP keyfarming [merged]

Posted by: ConfusedDave.4271

ConfusedDave.4271

I would be perfectly happy for key-farming to be nerfed, as long as they don’t take the utterly stupid approach of removing the story completely until you get to lvl 10. That’s a surefire way to lose players who like their games with some actual story / lore. Assuming they are too stupid to cope with a story for 10 levels while learning the rest of the game would be patronising in the extreme. (Rather than just semi-patronising, as the rest of the “levelling up unlocks” seem to be.)

If they want to stop key farming, then they can switch theBL Key reward to be something you get in the 10-20 lvl story range instead, which would have the desired effect without removing the story from the game until it’s “unlocked”.

RIP keyfarming [merged]

HHR LostProphet.4801

I have no plans too. But consumers have made game companies see this as ok. I remember when you get new maps and such for game for free. These days you pay something like £15 for 3 maps. Ten years ago they would be a free update. I just don’t see why people act surprised my game company’s milking there player base.

I’m not surprised. But I wont sit still either. The fact that BLC keys could be farmed was the only saving grace for me. With that gone, I wont accept this bold method of making money.

RIP keyfarming [merged]

Posted by: Kysin.6349

Kysin.6349

I wouldn’t make the mistake to assume Anet is doing this specifically to nerf the key farm. They just likely don’t care that it is going to nerf key farming (or maybe a happy bonus).

Co-leader of Knights of Eminence[Sir] – PvX
Reap The Weak[Reap] – WvW 5-man havok
-Blackgate

RIP keyfarming [merged]

Posted by: Andred.1087

Andred.1087

You have no clue what you’re talking about.

“You’ll PAY to know what you really think.” ~ J. R. “Bob” Dobbs

RIP keyfarming [merged]

HHR LostProphet.4801

I wouldn’t make the mistake to assume Anet is doing this specifically to nerf the key farm. They just likely don’t care that it is going to nerf key farming (or maybe a happy bonus).

I suspect them knowing exactly what they’re doing.

RIP keyfarming [merged]

Kysin.6349

I mean, I don’t think they developed the “Fresh Start” feature specifically for nerfing the key farm. Could be wrong though.

-Blackgate

RIP keyfarming [merged]

Posted by: Labjax.2465

Labjax.2465

Do you think there are zero people key farming that would be amenable to buying keys in absence of an easier alternative?

No, but the fact that the possibility exists says nothing about the number of people it would include.

As I said earlier in the thread, I think this whole discussion is moot until we actually see the new system in detail.

But in a theoretical sense, we are talking about hypothetical lost revenue that no one can actually confirm with hard numbers. Which is not something that any serious developer would base major decisions on and I doubt Anet has – they would have some kind of numbers at hand, if they were to do such a thing.

I can say, for example, that my interest in black lion keys would be nearly zero if the only method of obtaining them was the store. And I can pretty much guarantee I would just use convert gold to gems if I wanted to buy one.

Or words to that effect.

RIP keyfarming [merged]

HHR LostProphet.4801

I mean, I don’t think they developed the “Fresh Start” feature specifically for nerfing the key farm. Could be wrong though.

Did you feel overwhelmed when you first played GW2?
I certainly didn’t. Unlocking the story at lvl10 and changing the reward doesn’t seem to make it anything easier, but it is a very cunning move to remove keyfarming.

RIP keyfarming [merged]

Posted by: Nokaru.7831

Nokaru.7831

To anyone making the argument: “Business exist to make money,” I have to say you are falling into a logical pitfall here.

Businesses exist to provide a good or service to us. Their objective is not (or rather should not) to fleece their customers as much as possible while doing as little as possible. That is considered a parasite to society.

It boils down to: “Are you making games to make money? Or are you making money to create games?” The former is contemptuous while the latter is not.

You can learn more about it here.

RIP keyfarming [merged]

Posted by: Grok Krog.9581

Grok Krog.9581

Really a completely unnecessary change. Nerfing the key farm will probably not give Anet more money via Black Lion Keys. Becuase you’ll be better off buying gems and getting gold for them and then buying the skin you want. Still gives them money but not through the keys. For what you get, black lion keys are way over priced, they shouldn’t be more than 25 gems per key in my opinion.

Now I don’t think Anet did this for the purpose of nerfing the key farm, but it is a side effect (unless level 1-10 is unlocked as soon as you create a character)

Grok Walking Amongst Mere Mortals

RIP keyfarming [merged]

Kysin.6349

I mean I agree it could have been developed specifically to counteract key farming, but i’m just not convinced. Seems like they could have gone through a LOT less work to do it, if that was there original plan.

-Blackgate

RIP keyfarming [merged]

Posted by: Rauderi.8706

Rauderi.8706

• Maybe, just maybe, ANet would sell more keys of the chests wouldn’t be RNG based.
  • This assumes that people who key farm would spend $ on keys in the absence of key farming.
  • On top of the rarity of ticket scraps, they force you to get 10 just to make 1. Its a system obviously designed to make chunks of money[…]
  • For what you get, black lion keys are way over priced, they shouldn’t be more than 25 gems per key in my opinion.

Considering keys are $1.60 right now, it’s really friggin’ insulting for what little we get for it. Even as a bundle, they’re too costly.
Dropping them to 40 Gems ($0.50) is something even a frugal player can flick a few quarters at.

Many alts; handle it!
“I’m finding companies should sell access to forums,
it seems many like them better than the games they comment on.” -Horrorscope.7632

RIP keyfarming [merged]

Posted by: JustTrogdor.7892

JustTrogdor.7892

If they simply wanted to remove key farming it would have been much easier for them to remove the key from the L10 story reward and assign it to a much later story reward. I think there is more to the reason behind this change than just to nuke key farming.

The Burninator

RIP keyfarming [merged]

Posted by: Electro.4173

Electro.4173

Its definitely a shame. It may be better for Anet’s bottom line in the long run perhaps, but I don’t think its going to foster much good will from players. People already complained about the overabundance of gambling weapon skins before, even when key farming existed to make those weapons available via the TP for moderately sort of reasonable prices. The complaints are going to go way up with key farming gone and all the weapon skins end up being 100+ gold even during their introductory phase.

And as someone who has quite a few BLTC skins, all obtained via the TP likely from key farmers at those semi-reasonable prices, I know I’m definitely not looking forward to the next batch of weapons I like.

RIP keyfarming [merged]

Posted by: Vlad Morbius.1759

Vlad Morbius.1759

I’m trying very hard not to jump to this same conclusion honestly, having just read today’s blog post. Considering there really is no good way to obtain keys currently, if this does in fact remove them from story rewards, it’ll feel like an intentional slap in the face.

scowls at Anet

Of course, we could be over reacting. They could still be a reward, but the run might need adjustment to compensate for the new systems.

We need more information.

Sorry but that just cracked me up, the collective community has been screaming for more information, heck I’m sure I’ve seen a dozen posts on that topic alone. This is why transparency is a must, but you’ll never see it. However I’ve learned that whatever they do to quote unquote help us is a double edged sword, one leading straight to the gem shop lol!

Vini, Vidi, Vici, Viridis…I came, I saw, I conquered…I got a green??

RIP keyfarming [merged]

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

I’m trying very hard not to jump to this same conclusion honestly, having just read today’s blog post. Considering there really is no good way to obtain keys currently, if this does in fact remove them from story rewards, it’ll feel like an intentional slap in the face.

scowls at Anet

Of course, we could be over reacting. They could still be a reward, but the run might need adjustment to compensate for the new systems.

We need more information.

Sorry but that just cracked me up, the collective community has been screaming for more information, heck I’m sure I’ve seen a dozen posts on that topic alone. This is why transparency is a must, but you’ll never see it. However I’ve learned that whatever they do to quote unquote help us is a double edged sword, one leading straight to the gem shop lol!

Well, we’ll never see 100% transparency, but yes we’ve all been asking / begging / pleading/ raging for more communication. shrug

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

RIP keyfarming [merged]

Posted by: Ohoni.6057

Ohoni.6057

This is going to be another one of those topics where they could just come out and make a red post and lay it out and say “this is what it is and why” and squash it, and that would be that.

Bwahahahahahah!

And so key farming has depressed the price of skins so much that key farming is now the only alternative to getting skins at a fair price.

Anet has also had lost revenue opportunities from those who would rather key farm than buy keys. The lower price of the skin on the TP also lowers the gold/gem rate to the disadvantage of Anet, although that calculation is a lot more complicated and it’s not 100% affected.

ANet should not base their revenue on gambling in the first place, they should worry about the “you get what you pay for” products not the “pull the lever again” products.

“If you spent as much time working on [some task] as
you spend complaining about it on the forums, you’d be
done by now.”

RIP keyfarming [merged]

Posted by: cesmode.4257

cesmode.4257

So I read the blog…eh..

While I don’t think changes were needed for the new player experience(I got through it just fine, you all did…why change it?), I also don’t think they are earth shattering either.

And this is coming from me guys
Cheer up !

Karma is as abundant as air, and as useless as the Kardashians.

RIP keyfarming [merged]

Posted by: DarksunG.9537

DarksunG.9537

Businesses exist to provide a good or service to us.

No. (I’m saying this because your tone suggests they exist primarily for someone else benefit.) Business exists so that they can gain something of value to them by providing something of value to someone else. They get money by providing games. it has nothing to do with the good of society in any other way than looking after their own needs through a voluntary system. That’s the beauty of the monetary system. It allows everyone to look after their own needs through a voluntary system as long as they produce something of value to someone else. Your assessment that They should only be making money to fuel the action of making games really is a fallacy. It not only ignores any of their needs but it again assumes they should exist primarily for your benefit.

The problem for us is when whales make it worth Anet’s time to make weapons that the average person can’t realistically afford. That’s why I always prefer to buy the game not the rewards. GW1 was fantastic for that.

Their objective is not (or rather should not) to fleece their customers as much as possible while doing as little as possible. That is considered a parasite to society.

You’re saying that getting money is the same as “fleecing” someone. That’s just a not true. Now, we should not be buying keys to show them that they aren’t worth the price, but whales & people with no money sense keep doing it, so Anet keeps making gamble-boxes.

(edited by DarksunG.9537)

RIP keyfarming [merged]

Posted by: RedStar.4218

RedStar.4218

If they simply wanted to remove key farming it would have been much easier for them to remove the key from the L10 story reward and assign it to a much later story reward. I think there is more to the reason behind this change than just to nuke key farming.

They couldn’t pass this change in a feature update. So they took a little detour to.

But unless there’s a red post, I’m not really sure they will lock the PS to level 10.

RIP keyfarming [merged]

BrotherBelial.3094

To anyone making the argument: “Business exist to make money,” I have to say you are falling into a logical pitfall here.

Businesses exist to provide a good or service to us. Their objective is not (or rather should not) to fleece their customers as much as possible while doing as little as possible. That is considered a parasite to society.

It boils down to: “Are you making games to make money? Or are you making money to create games?” The former is contemptuous while the latter is not.

You make something, be it a game or what ever to sell and make money. Sometimes theses things start out of love to do these things. But ultimately it’s to make money. Some company’s are not so in your face about it. But they all want to make money. Look at how much WoW must make. £10 a month sub x what is it 7 million players? Go on tell me they are not in it for the money.

i5 4690K @ 3.5Mhz|8GB HyperX Savage 1600mHz|MSI H81M-E34|MSI GTX 960 Gaming 2GB|

RIP keyfarming [merged]

Posted by: laokoko.7403

laokoko.7403

• Maybe, just maybe, ANet would sell more keys of the chests wouldn’t be RNG based.
  • This assumes that people who key farm would spend $ on keys in the absence of key farming.
  • On top of the rarity of ticket scraps, they force you to get 10 just to make 1. Its a system obviously designed to make chunks of money[…]
  • For what you get, black lion keys are way over priced, they shouldn’t be more than 25 gems per key in my opinion.

Considering keys are $1.60 right now, it’s really friggin’ insulting for what little we get for it. Even as a bundle, they’re too costly.
Dropping them to 40 Gems ($0.50) is something even a frugal player can flick a few quarters at.

well, it’ll get a bit less insulting when price of all items in the black lion chest sky rocketed with the removal of key farming.

RIP keyfarming [merged]

HHR LostProphet.4801

You make something, be it a game or what ever to sell and make money. Sometimes theses things start out of love to do these things. But ultimately it’s to make money. Some company’s are not so in your face about it. But they all want to make money. Look at how much WoW must make. £10 a month sub x what is it 7 million players? Go on tell me they are not in it for the money.

Making money out of a product you have created, especially if you plan to live from it’s revenue, is logical.
To maximise the revenue at the cost of client satisfaction is not.

RIP keyfarming [merged]

laokoko.7403

Making money out of a product you have created, especially if you plan to live from it’s revenue, is logical.

You have a choice not to play GW2. If you are not satisfied go play other games. Of course maximizing their profit is their goal. If people are not satisfied, they’ll leave the game. The only reason they havn’t be milking us that badly is because they dont’ want too many people to leave the game.

(edited by laokoko.7403)

RIP keyfarming [merged]

HHR LostProphet.4801

You have a choice not to play GW2. If you are not satisfied go play other games. Of course maximizing their profit is their goal. If people are not satisfied, they’ll leave the game. The only reason they havn’t be milking us that badly is because they dont’ want to many people to leave the game.

Maybe, just maybe, I’m on the forums to improve the game, so I can enjoy the game for the next year. I’m not on the forums to be told that I have to leave the game to make a change.

RIP keyfarming [merged]

RedStar.4218

well, it’ll get a bit less insulting when price of all items in the black lion chest sky rocketed with the removal of key farming.

Oh totally. I’m going to be ecstatic when I get :
- a crafting booster (or any of them really)
- a large guild discovery
- 1 dye !

Oh man, I better stop opening them. I don’t want my heart to go out on me out of the sheer excitement I go through every time I open a chest and get a box o’ fun or an essence of luck ! That’s why I stopped salvaging, I was getting so many essences it wasn’t healthy.
And don’t get me started on those incredibly hard to get scrolls of knowledge that takes up now 3 bank spaces !

…It’s always insulting to open a BL chest. When you get something good the only reason you’re happy is because you didn’t get kitten.

RIP keyfarming [merged]

laokoko.7403

Oh totally. I’m going to be ecstatic when I get :
- a crafting booster (or any of them really)
- a large guild discovery
- 1 dye !

Oh man, I better stop opening them. I don’t want my heart to go out on me out of the sheer excitement I go through every time I open a chest and get a box o’ fun or an essence of luck ! That’s why I stopped salvaging, I was getting so many essences it wasn’t healthy.
And don’t get me started on those incredibly hard to get scrolls of knowledge that takes up now 3 bank spaces !

…It’s always insulting to open a BL chest. When you get something good the only reason you’re happy is because you didn’t get kitten.

right but maybe black lion weapon or pemanent license price will sky rocket so it is less insulting that way.

RIP keyfarming [merged]

BrotherBelial.3094

Sure some people will not be happy, but you can’t please everyone, and until the ballence shifts to more unhappy than happy don’t exspect anything to change. We all need to vote with are wallets. But until the balance shifts ANet will keep going the way it is, and will not change till it has to.

RIP keyfarming [merged]

RedStar.4218

Oh yeah, everything that exclusively comes out of them and that can be sold will sky rocket (aside from dyes).

But the rest of the stuff will now be an ever bigger middle finger.

RIP keyfarming [merged]

Posted by: Smooth Penguin.5294

Smooth Penguin.5294

Maybe, just maybe, I’m on the forums to improve the game, so I can enjoy the game for the next year. I’m not on the forums to be told that I have to leave the game to make a change.

And since I have a background in business, I’m here on the forums to educate people that the more profitable and successful NCSoft/Anet is, the more us players will benefit in the long run. If I have to spend thousands of $ over the life of the game to support a company that I like, I have no issues.

In GW2, Trading Post plays you!

RIP keyfarming [merged]

HHR LostProphet.4801

And since I have a background in business, I’m here on the forums to educate people that the more profitable and successful NCSoft/Anet is, the more us players will benefit in the long run. If I have to spend thousands of $ over the life of the game to support a company that I like, I have no issues.

If they ask for money to develop new content, I’ll give them money. If they want me to pay for RNG, screw them, I won’t do that.

RIP keyfarming [merged]

laokoko.7403

If they ask for money to develop new content, I’ll give them money. If they want me to pay for RNG, screw them, I won’t do that.

That is why I say there is a door out. I spend a good fair amount of my time playing korean grinders and pay them 100$ a month. Quite honestly, I love those korean grinders, they are really fun, but eventually I get sick of paying 100$ a month and stop playing.

It seemed like RNG box have become part of the game. Most likely that’s something you won’t be able to change no matter how much you complain.

RIP keyfarming [merged]

BrotherBelial.3094

No one has a gun to your head forcing you to open BLC’s. These not right? If there is blink twice and I’ll send help.

RIP keyfarming [merged]

HHR LostProphet.4801

No one has a gun to your head forcing you to open BLC’s. These not right? If there is blink twice and I’ll send help.

As I already said, skins are the main goal in this game. So you either have to dumb a lot of gold or pay to progress.

RIP keyfarming [merged]

Posted by: Nokaru.7831

Nokaru.7831

Yup. The apologists here don’t understand what I’m saying.

It’s admirable to make a great game and make a profit. It’s contemptuous to turn it into junk and fleece customers for everything they can in an effort to make a killing.

RIP keyfarming [merged]

Posted by: Vol.7601

Vol.7601

I think a large majority of player’s have got their monies worth over kitten game, or whatever the heck it cost at release

RIP keyfarming [merged]

laokoko.7403

As I already said, skins are the main goal in this game. So you either have to dumb a lot of gold or pay to progress.

ya you probably have to pay lots of gold, but no one says you need to open the BLC yourself. It’s probably better you don’t and just use real cash and buy it off trading post.

RIP keyfarming [merged]

BrotherBelial.3094

Sorry I thought having fun was the main goal for a game. I don’t see skins as the main goal. I personally only like a handful of skins in Guild Wars 2, and I have them all bar two. The eligant guild back item, and the Flameseeker Prophercies. The rest I’m quite happy to leave.

RIP keyfarming [merged]

Vlad Morbius.1759

They can make money a lot more of it if they start giving things people want to spend money for. They tell me an expansion is coming and I’ll be happy to open my wallet, until then no thanks I will keep my cash.

RIP keyfarming [merged]

HHR LostProphet.4801

Sorry I thought having fun was the main goal for a game. I don’t see skins as the main goal. I personally only like a handful of skins in Guild Wars 2, and I have them all bar two. The eligant guild back item, and the Flameseeker Prophercies. The rest I’m quite happy to leave.

Having fun is the goal of every game ever created…

RIP keyfarming [merged]

HHR LostProphet.4801

ya you probably have to pay lots of gold, but no one says you need to open the BLC yourself. It’s probably better you don’t and just use real cash and buy it off trading post.

So you say the main goal of this game should be to grind gold to buy skins on the gemstore. Or to pay money if you’re impatient.

RIP keyfarming [merged]

BrotherBelial.3094

So it’s not getting skins then……..

RIP keyfarming [merged]

laokoko.7403

They can make money a lot more of it if they start giving things people want to spend money for. They tell me an expansion is coming and I’ll be happy to open my wallet, until then no thanks I will keep my cash.

what if they actually give an expansion, but that expansion totally sucks.

RIP keyfarming [merged]

Vlad Morbius.1759

I’d be willing to gamble on that in a heartbeat, RNG… no thanks. Odds would be in my favor I’d warrant, well unless they added freaking pandas lol!

RIP keyfarming [merged]

HHR LostProphet.4801

So it’s not getting skins then……..

How do you create “fun”?

RIP keyfarming [merged]

Posted by: Labjax.2465

Labjax.2465

Yup. The apologists here don’t understand what I’m saying.

It’s admirable to make a great game and make a profit. It’s contemptuous to turn it into junk and fleece customers for everything they can in an effort to make a killing.

I think it’s often more complicated than fleecing vs. quality though.

From the player perspective, we’re like, “We want to have access to everything without feeling like we’re going to a casino.”

From the game dev perspective, they’re like, “We want players to stick around, so that we can make a profit and put food on the table.”

These aren’t incompatible goals, but the sad truth is, which one of these is more likely to keep people coming back?
1) Casino
2) Linear progression ladder with visible, concrete steps that eventually end

For players, #2 may be more desirable, but then they lose interest once they’ve acquired everything (which is only a matter of time). #1 is less desirable for players, but it’s also more likely to keep them coming back endlessly, hoping that the next “dice roll” will win them the jackpot.

For the game devs, the most desirable one is whichever one is more fun for players, but if players also leave too easily, then money stops coming in for the devs and they are out of a job.

And even that is probably simplifying too much. It seems nobody knows how to keep players’ attention long-term anymore, if they ever did – at least, not without using tactics that are ethically questionable. WoW hit the perfect storm of magical MMO success and everybody has been trying to make WoWbucks since.

Or words to that effect.