RIP keyfarming [merged]

RIP keyfarming [merged]

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Leo Paul.1659

Leo Paul.1659

Does the queen now expect perfection?

Will Logan never see us again?

Are the recruits going to become bleedin’ useful?

Is there going to be no one left to pound into the ground like a big nail?

These are all VERY serious questions.

“by all six gods, what is that thing? it’s huge!”
“brace yourselves, think it’s gonna explode!”
“i was too kitten francis”

half of my enjoyment of keyfarming was giggling like an idiot at the same innuendo jokes i’d tell myself every run.

And creating characters with the word “key” on their names. XD

i just use Brunokey. i’m that uncreative. i do it for all temporary chars (that i create just to see if i can achieve a certain look on the wardrobe, or with a total makeover kit) too, not only farming characters.

My original character is named Mockingbird so I use variations of the name with the word key like “Mockey Bird” and “Mock Keybird” XD. I really enjoy looking at fellow key farmers with creative names that incorporates the word key

Queen Of The Moors (Blackgate)
Deaths Fear [Fear] / The Hardcore Caravan [HC]
Forum Warrior: Black Belt in Ninja Edits

RIP keyfarming [merged]

Posted by: Hybrid.7059

Hybrid.7059

Don’t kill Askeylonian!

RIP keyfarming [merged]

Posted by: daimasei.4091

daimasei.4091

YES!!! PLEASE!!!

I’m so kittening sick of those stupid farmers killing everything with one hit in the human tutorial, ruining my game experience every single time I try to make a new character (why in the hell they can bypass the event that close the doors). Key farming is exactly what the Queensdale train used to be.

I want to PLAY the game, not sit there and see how this parasites kill everything with their stupids staff-guardian ruining the game for me (and those who want to PLAY the game) so they can get a desirable/exclusive reward without expending a single in-game coin/real-world money.

Why fix the Necromancer for free when we can charge $$$ for the Revenant
-ArenaNet

RIP keyfarming [merged]

Posted by: blakdoxa.7520

blakdoxa.7520

YES!!! PLEASE!!!

I’m so kittening sick of those stupid farmers killing everything with one hit in the human tutorial, ruining my game experience every single time I try to make a new character (why in the hell they can bypass the event that close the doors). Key farming is exactly what the Queensdale train used to be.

I want to PLAY the game, not sit there and see how this parasites kill everything with their stupids staff-guardian ruining the game for me (and those who want to PLAY the game) so they can get a desirable/exclusive reward without expending a single in-game coin/real-world money.

Hard to tell if this is sarcasm…

Devona’s Rest

RIP keyfarming [merged]

Leo Paul.1659

YES!!! PLEASE!!!

Wut? I rarely encounter people at the tutorial even though I farm keys.

:/ I don’t understand why you would complain about not being able to kill stuff in tutorial when it doesn’t give any loots and there are plenty of other mobs to kill outside the shortest path towards the boss. If you’re taking the quickest route, then I suppose you also want to get out of the instance as fast as you can.

Granted, this might be a joke, and it just went whoosh over my head. :/ But in my defense, sarcasm doesn’t translate well via text.

RIP keyfarming [merged]

Posted by: Essence Snow.3194

Essence Snow.3194

YES!!! PLEASE!!!

Hard to tell if this is sarcasm…

I know right. It doesn’t make very much since as in one sentence they say they are killing everything, but in the next they say they bypass them. I’m not exactly sure how it could ruin much of anything considering almost all of it is completed in personal instances.

Serenity now~Insanity later

RIP keyfarming [merged]

Posted by: Astral Projections.7320

Astral Projections.7320

Goodbye my key runner, Nooby Faceplant. I feel I hardly knew ye.

RIP keyfarming [merged]

Posted by: HHR LostProphet.4801

HHR LostProphet.4801

I think that there is certainly a problem with the current farm method. The personal story wasn’t designed to get farmed like that, yet it is the only way to acquire keys, so I’m fine with that. I would be happier if the key farming would get own content dedicated to be farmed, but I don’t have any problem with the current system either. I would just like to complete other personal stories as fast as I’m able to do this one.

RIP keyfarming [merged]

Posted by: runeblade.7514

runeblade.7514

Hello 543g Black Lion Weapons. Good bye Key farming.

5x Warrior, 5x Ranger, 4x Elementalist, 4x Engineer,
4x Necromancer, 3x Mesmer, 4x Guardian, 4x Thief, 4 Revenant

RIP keyfarming [merged]

Posted by: laokoko.7403

laokoko.7403

I get a bunch of key from leveling a character to lvl80 and doing map completion. Obviously at a much slower rate. So there is still ways to acquire black lion keys.

RIP keyfarming [merged]

Posted by: BrunoBRS.5178

BrunoBRS.5178

YES!!! PLEASE!!!

so what about the people that farm keys with sword warriors and no tweaks? you know, the “i don’t want to pay more just to farm more easily” crowd, like me? we kill mobs just as fast as you.

LegendaryMythril/Zihark Darshell

RIP keyfarming [merged]

Posted by: Hybrid.7059

Hybrid.7059

I get a bunch of key from leveling a character to lvl80 and doing map completion. Obviously at a much slower rate. So there is still ways to acquire black lion keys.

Lawl. Thanks Captain!

RIP keyfarming [merged]

Leo Paul.1659

Iirc I’ve only had 2 keys drop normally for me from mobs in 5k hours of gametime. :/ It felt like I got a precursor or something.

RIP keyfarming [merged]

Posted by: daimasei.4091

daimasei.4091

Oh, the sound of kitten farmers. Your cheap kitten is ruining the game for new players and people who want to play the game (and since you don’t support the game with money or rising the gold to gems ratio, you’re also ruining the game). Deal with it.

And what I do care about killing mobs without drops or exp? BECAUSE I WANT TO PLAY THE GAME! No just rush, finish and get rewards.

And obviously, you can’t possibly comprehend how farmers ruin other players experience. After all, selfish players only care about themselves.

so what about the people that farm keys with sword warriors and no tweaks? you know, the “i don’t want to pay more just to farm more easily” crowd, like me? we kill mobs just as fast as you.

Did I said something about warriors? No. Still, you aren’t supporting the game but well, ArenaNet works for free I guess.

Why fix the Necromancer for free when we can charge $$$ for the Revenant
-ArenaNet

RIP keyfarming [merged]

Leo Paul.1659

I dunno where you got the idea that we don’t spend money to buy gems. :/ You can’t get everything in the gemstore from BLTC alone you know.

RIP keyfarming [merged]

HHR LostProphet.4801

Oh, the sound of kitten farmers. Your cheap kitten is ruining the game for new players and people who want to play the game (and since you don’t support the game with money or rising the gold to gems ratio, you’re also ruining the game). Deal with it.

And what I do care about killing mobs without drops or exp? BECAUSE I WANT TO PLAY THE GAME! No just rush, finish and get rewards.

And obviously, you can’t possibly comprehend how farmers ruin other players experience. After all, selfish players only care about themselves.

Did I said something about warriors? No. Still, you aren’t supporting the game but well, ArenaNet works for free I guess.

Do you know who is really ruining your game experience? TP flippers. Do you know why? Because they make everything on the TP more expensive and are the richest players in the game, although they don’t even play the game. They’re just flipping items. Go deal with those first before you start complaining about key farmers.

RIP keyfarming [merged]

Posted by: ThePainTrain.8601

ThePainTrain.8601

Do you know who is really ruining your game experience? TP flippers. Do you know why? Because they make everything on the TP more expensive and are the richest players in the game, although they don’t even play the game. They’re just flipping items. Go deal with those first before you start complaining about key farmers.

This statement was equally as dumb as the one you quoted..

Go consult J.S. in the BLTP forum, or idk, use the search function to bring up the 10+ times he’s quoted as saying tp flipping is working as intended.

(edited by ThePainTrain.8601)

RIP keyfarming [merged]

Posted by: Smooth Penguin.5294

Smooth Penguin.5294

And we come full circle with this. As we’ve explained to you many times, because you don’t understand how the economies work, you assume TP players are a problem. They are the richest players because they put in effort to understanding the mechanics of selling. Just like why some people end up working for McDonald’s all their life, and some people create companies like MicroSoft or Ebay.

In GW2, Trading Post plays you!

RIP keyfarming [merged]

HHR LostProphet.4801

This statement was equally as dumb as the one you quoted..

That’s why I wrote it. On a side note: TP make the most gold out of all ways to make gold. And I do think that’s out of whack.

RIP keyfarming [merged]

Posted by: Kysin.6349

Kysin.6349

I supported the game when I paid 80$ for it on release, I supported the game by getting a friend or two to buy a copy. I will support the game by buying an expansion if that ever happens. I have never supported the game by paying real money for gems, and I never will. Don’t try to tell people that they don’t support the game if they dont buy gems, if they own the game they support it.

How dare those awful key farmers kill the earth elemental too fast, how dare they! FYI enemies in the Shaemoor instance don’t drop loot.

Co-leader of Knights of Eminence[Sir] – PvX
Reap The Weak[Reap] – WvW 5-man havok
-Blackgate

RIP keyfarming [merged]

Posted by: Seven Star Stalker.1740

Seven Star Stalker.1740

On the topic of chests I’d say the only change I want is for them to get rid of useless crap from them like boosters and only have things that are useful and rare drop. Then, reduce their drop rate aswell.

That way there’s actual incentive to buy them, and there’s a real reward. Right now getting a bunch of boosters.. Well, it helps that there’s the sparkly dust conversion thing now, but it’s still kind of cruddy.

I ? Karkas.

RIP keyfarming [merged]

Posted by: Piogre.2164

Piogre.2164

so what about the people that farm keys with sword warriors and no tweaks? you know, the "i don’t want to pay more just to farm more easily" crowd, like me? we kill mobs just as fast as you.

I supported the game when I paid 80$ for it on release, I supported the game by getting a friend or two to buy a copy. I will support the game by buying an expansion if that ever happens. I have never supported the game by paying real money for gems, and I never will. Don’t try to tell people that they don’t support the game if they dont buy gems, if they own the game they support it.

How dare those awful key farmers kill the earth elemental too fast, how dare they! FYI enemies in the Shaemoor instance don’t drop loot.

Heck I do buy gems when Anet does things I support. I have done this for a while- dump a small amount of cash to support actions by the dev’s that I think are worth paying for.

And yet, I also farm keys. I find it amusing that daimasei considers key runs "not playing the game" given how much I’ve evolved my optimized route. They’ve probably never felt the thrill that comes with doing speed running in games before.

And re: discussion on tp flippers, they actually keep prices consistent. They reduce the gaps between sell- and buy- prices, and put out so many buy orders for 60+ rares and exos (for mass salvage and/or resale) that the average player who gets one at random as a drop can always depend on someone having placed a reasonably good buy offer on that rare in particular.

[VIG], SoR
Main: Asuran Engineer — Alt 80’s Ra-T-M-G-El-N-W-En-En-Re-Ra
Doctorate in Applied Jumping

(edited by Piogre.2164)

RIP keyfarming [merged]

Posted by: Labjax.2465

Labjax.2465

On the topic of chests I’d say the only change I want is for them to get rid of useless crap from them like boosters and only have things that are useful and rare drop. Then, reduce their drop rate aswell.

That way there’s actual incentive to buy them, and there’s a real reward. Right now getting a bunch of boosters.. Well, it helps that there’s the sparkly dust conversion thing now, but it’s still kind of cruddy.

The main one that gets me is getting an essence of luck out of a BL chest. It’s like, “Oh yay, something that I can get from salvaging literally any kittening item in the game.”

“Here’s an essence of luck, better luck next time! Get it! Haha… ha. ha.”

Or words to that effect.

RIP keyfarming [merged]

Kysin.6349

Heck I do buy gems when Anet does things I support. I have done this for a while- dump a small amount of cash to support actions by the dev’s that I think are worth paying for.

And yet, I also farm keys. I find it amusing that daimasei considers key runs “not playing the game” given how much I’ve evolved my optimized route. They’ve probably never felt the thrill that comes with doing speed running in games before.

Right? I love trying to beat my previous record, I think it’s fun! And yeah, the devs already chimed in multiple times that key farming was totally legit and not an exploit.

-Blackgate

RIP keyfarming [merged]

Posted by: Sunshine.4680

Sunshine.4680

Good enough, key farming is stupid, and obviously not something they wanted players to do.

Key farmers allow skins etc to be sold for cheap. Maybe you should think about that.

RIP keyfarming [merged]

Posted by: Doomer.9536

Doomer.9536

You know doing some rough searches I’m not finding any Key Farm videos for the China version…..I guess if I could see that they have the ability to do it in this format we will be inheriting I would feel less concerned.

RIP keyfarming [merged]

Posted by: Bellizare.5816

Bellizare.5816

Good enough, key farming is stupid, and obviously not something they wanted players to do.

Yes obviously anything that stops players from buying gems and keys in the BLTC must be stopped.

I typed a lengthy reply, but my session expired (wtf guys, I’ve been posting all day, there’s no excuse for this). To summarize, key farming is a dumb exploit that allows players to circumvent an entire revenue channel, and it’s surprising they took this long to fix it.

If we do not have any means of converting gold to gems, this would probably have merit.

Point taken, but that doesn’t mean it’s any less detrimental to have hundreds of people getting free keys every 20 minutes. Now the price of BL skins goes up, and more people will buy gems to convert to gold to get them. There’s always more to it.

Not to mention key farming is kind of a huge slap in the face to ANet. “Yeah we like your game, but the only part that’s really worth the time is the first 20 minutes.” I’m sure they appreciated that.

First 20 minutes IS the best part of the game.

RIP keyfarming [merged]

Posted by: Bellizare.5816

Bellizare.5816

Just sayin, sometimes….

RIP keyfarming [merged]

Sunshine.4680

Didn’t people say that the Chinese stuff wouldn’t ever come to NA side? So much for that. =p

RIP keyfarming [merged]

Posted by: Otaur.9268

Otaur.9268

Considering there really is no good way to obtain keys currently, if this does in fact remove them from story rewards, it’ll feel like an intentional slap in the face.

1. Pull out credit card
2. Open Gem store
3. Buy pack of Black Lion Keys

Keys are supposed to be their main source of RNG revenue… it was never intended for people to get them for free.

You mean OUTFITS are their main source of income. I would have loved to get the new greatsword skin from in-game stuff and no, farming gold is not what I mean (gold > gems).

Blackfang’s Demon Alliance [BfDA]

RIP keyfarming [merged]

Sunshine.4680

Not sure why people are kittened at Anet. Key farming was here a lot longer than it was supposed to be. Anet was shooting themselves in the foot by having it in game for so long.

It’s about time we have weapon prices that are now in line with the risk of gambling on buying keys. It was a market inefficiency that had to be corrected.

If anybody else said it, i would agree. But not coming from you, sorry. You are richer then most people. You are more addicted to rare skins then most people. And you hardcore farm (wich kinda equals keyfarming in some ways – wanting best efficiency income). If you would give up all kinds of hardcore farming you are doing now, your response would be fair. (meaning every income that was substantially better then the average like blix farming, instantaneously nerfed). But it isn’t since you are hardcore farming Orr or something else atm, and you just can’t stand it, that other people got usefull stuff with keyfarming. And that’s the source of your post. Not anything else. And that’s dissapointing, using that as an argument. You just want your legendaries/personal skin to be more rare. And that’s a selfish thing. If devs would make a game around those incentives, it would quickly get toxic.

Anyhow i rarely keyfarmed. But having the option to do it sometimes was fun. Removing it, isn’t much fun. Especially having 4 scraps, it NOT fun. Because that means with inc nerfs, i will most certainly never ever find 6 more ticket scraps for a full ticket. So they essentially nerfed my existing 4 ones. Ah well chaos skins are ugly to me, and i got my stock of ley line skins.

I suppose it looks like I’m biased but I don’t think I’am.

The difference between me farming gold (which I haven’t done since megaservers btw) and farming keys is that there is an inefficiency in alternatives.

For example, between farming gold and buying gold from gem trade, both are viable alternatives

Between key farming and buying keys, the latter is not a viable alternative. It’s not viable because the price of a key is so high, and that you are more likely to end up paying more in gold value for the key than the skin you end up getting, which would average around 60g.

And so key farming has depressed the price of skins so much that key farming is now the only alternative to getting skins at a fair price.

Anet has also had lost revenue opportunities from those who would rather key farm than buy keys. The lower price of the skin on the TP also lowers the gold/gem rate to the disadvantage of Anet, although that calculation is a lot more complicated and it’s not 100% affected.

Wouldn’t they lose revenue from people buying gems to convert to gold to buy these skins? Not many are going to convert to pay 500g for a skin nor try their luck at boxes so anet loses more money this way.

RIP keyfarming [merged]

Astral Projections.7320

We have a few people on this thread who feel this is a good thing, either because they don’t like key farming or they think the weapons skins are undervalued because of key farmers and that bringing the prices up is a positive thing,

But what happens to prices to weapon skins if there are no key farmers and the drop rates of the scraps is unchanged?

How much will new weapons cost in the future?

(This is a worse case scenario that assumes no key farmers. If the personal story starts at level 10 and if it can take ~ 5 hours to get to level 10 at ~2 levels per hour then key farming is going to drop down to essentially zero. It also assumes no changes in the drop rate of scraps)

Average drop rate % of scraps has been 20%. This means an average of 50 keys to get 10 scraps.
4200 gems are needed to get 50 keys at 2100 gems for 25. That’s $52.50€
At this moment
Buying gems with gold: 14.85gold/100 gems
Selling gems to buy gold: 9.92 gold/100 gems

If someone buys 50 keys with $52.50€, then to break even if he wants to sell the skin he has to sell it for at least 416.64 gold (4200 gems/100 × 9.92gold) to make as much as he could have gotten by selling the 4200 gems directly to get gold.

If someone buys the gems with gold, he will need to spend 623.70 gold to get 4200 gems (14.85 gold x 4,200/100)

This means at the current gems to gold conversion, the lowest price for new weapon skins in the absence of key farmers is 416.64 gold.

(edited by Astral Projections.7320)

RIP keyfarming [merged]

Posted by: Lord Kuru.3685

Lord Kuru.3685

… crafting your way to level 10?

It’ll cost you, but expect Black Lion weapon prices to rise as well.

RIP keyfarming [merged]

Posted by: DarksunG.9537

DarksunG.9537

As I already said, skins are the main goal in this game.

Having fun is the goal of every game ever created…

Let me know when you decide which argument you want to make. Is GW2 supposed to be fun or about skins.

I was thinking that my self.

I suspect you know exactly what he’s saying & that he’s right, but it sounds nice to nitpick on semantics & pretended it makes sense.

You two act like: collecting skins cannot be considered fun. This is not only obviously wrong but counter to what Anet itself has said repeatedly about the endgame goals in this game. To somehow take any notion of “I collect skins as my endgame” as a departure from fun (an amorphous concept that you seem to be able to quantify only as “nothing to do with skins”) is just stabbing at a strawman to try to invalidate any criticism of Anet’s conflicting actions & statements regarding skins & endgame. They want the endgame goals to be cosmetic, but at the same time make the vast majority of the skins added to the game gamble & pay only.

This is one of the reasons many people liked the expansion model. You payed to unlock the experience then earn everything in that experience. You didn’t get mediocre tiny chunks of story then have almost every decent reward put into a store.

RIP keyfarming [merged]

Kysin.6349

We have a few people on this thread who feel this is a good thing, either because they don’t like key farming or they think the weapons skins are undervalued because of key farmers and that bringing the prices up is a positive thing,

But what happens to prices to weapon skins if there are no key farmers and the drop rates of the scraps is unchanged?

How much will new weapons cost in the future?

(This is a worse case scenario that assumes no key farmers. If the personal story starts at level 10 and if it can take ~ 5 hours to get to level 10 at ~2 levels per hour then key farming is going to drop down to essentially zero. It also assumes no changes in the drop rate of scraps)

Average drop rate % of scraps has been 20%. This means an average of 50 keys to get 10 scraps.
4200 gems are needed to get 50 keys at 2100 gems for 25. That’s $52.50€
At this moment
Buying gems with gold: 14.85gold/100 gems
Selling gems to buy gold: 9.92 gold/100 gems

If someone buys 50 keys with $52.50€, then to break even if he wants to sell the skin he has to sell it for at least 416.64 gold (4200 gems/100 × 9.92gold) to make as much as he could have gotten by selling the 4200 gems directly to get gold.

If someone buys the gems with gold, he will need to spend 623.70 gold to get 4200 gems (14.85 gold x 4,200/100)

This means at the current gems to gold conversion, the lowest price for new weapon skins in the absence of key farmers is 416.64 gold.

Yep, and dare we even think about the permanent bank/merch/tp/hair kits?

-Blackgate

RIP keyfarming [merged]

Posted by: Kythan Myr.4719

Kythan Myr.4719

I’ve heard in china you unlock the first story arc at level 10, so even if you do get a key you have to grind for 10 levels. So you could still technically farm keys, but it will be vastly less efficient.

While I think it most likely they will do this, and it’s a chicken kitten way to do it, it doesn’t make much sense. After you complete your tutorial it seems natural to jump right in with the personal story. For example, with the human commoner story. You rescue shaemoor and then wait for ten levels (likely not so quick) before you visit Petra in the inn after she visited you while you recover from the Shaemoor attack. Why?? It was one of those things that felt somewhat natural. You’re injured, a friend visits you while unconscious, you wake up, and you visit them.

I can’t say much for the other story arcs, but what do you think? Would it feel “right” or make no difference to force you to grind 10 levels before starting the story?

Besides, if memory serves me correctly didn’t they tout that as one of their major benefits when the game started 2 yrs ago? You didn’t NEED to go up levels during the personal story arcs. That by doing personal story you would naturally progress levels and if the content was too hard, you might need to go and level up a bit. You could play at your own pace, do things you wanted to. Sure they had suggested levels for story events, but we all know you could easily do many of those at early levels and not the levels they suggested.

I guess we will have to wait and see what the rewards will be for level ups. Not so optimistic, because very rarely do the rewards align with the event. I don’t think they will move away from that formula ever.

RIP keyfarming [merged]

Posted by: JusticarArkiel.1564

JusticarArkiel.1564

people need to stop and think about this for a minute:
1. pretty sure anet has outright said they’re ok with key farmers, as they keep the trading post prices somewhat in check for skins.
2. the key at the end of the lvl 10 story helps net new players into the key system. they get a key, open a box, get shinies that they don’t know they can get elsewhere, and they want more.

if they get rid of the key reward at the end of the lvl 10 story, then they kinda shoot themselves in the foot and lose revenue anyway. also, there has been no confirmation that keys will be leaving the quest rewards, if anything they’re saying the rewards will be more rewarding.

Fix what you have before you build something new

RIP keyfarming [merged]

Posted by: Roybe.5896

Roybe.5896

Because it’s perfect business sense.

A game is not a business. Players can’t be seen as money source. Ofcourse they have to make money. But if they see the player only as a way to make money, the game isn’t any better as a F2P title from EA.

Who else is going to pay for the game?

RIP keyfarming [merged]

laokoko.7403

probably cost 2-3 gold just to get lvl10.

if that is the future, many crafting material will skyrocket too.

there is no future in key farming. it become very impractical.

You do realize many people complain about how junky the items in black lion chest are right? I dont’ think people will bother any more.

(edited by laokoko.7403)

RIP keyfarming [merged]

laokoko.7403

Because it’s perfect business sense.

A game is not a business. Players can’t be seen as money source. Ofcourse they have to make money. But if they see the player only as a way to make money, the game isn’t any better as a F2P title from EA.

Who else is going to pay for the game?

The problem is you are assuming this game is better than a F2P title from EA… (in turns of their monetary methods)

Not saying GW2 isn’t a well made game compare to EA. But the monetary methods are the same.

RIP keyfarming [merged]

Posted by: Roguefire.8174

Roguefire.8174

I’m not sure where everyone is getting this level 10 requirement from. Just because that’s how it was on China’s release, doesn’t mean that’s what they are doing here. They never stated any specifics. For China’s release it was also “level 35 for wvw, level 45 for pvp”, but in the update news they stated:

“For experienced players, most systems are still available as they are today; we will simply introduce these systems more gradually to new players and allow them to learn our game at a reasonable pace. For example, WvW and PvP will be messaged to players via the level-up notification system at levels 18 and 22, and the buttons in the top left will be hidden until then, but experienced users can use the portals in Lion’s Arch or use hot keys to access those game modes immediately.”

So essentially nothing is really changing there… they are just making things more aesthetically simplified for newer players. So don’t go jumping to conclusions that they are going to remove our favorite past time…

RIP keyfarming [merged]

Astral Projections.7320

It’s a possibility of course, but the thing about key runs is that for them to be profitable, they were done fast.

If someone has to run to the crafting table after the tutorial, craft one profession to 400 (we’ll assume cooking here) to get 7 levels then another crafting to get one more level to reach level 10 then that takes both money and time. They will then need to do the key farm.

Once is one thing. Doing this repeatedly is another.

This was a clever thought though. I’m not sure it’s practical for repeated key runs at current weapon prices We’ll have to see if it becomes feasible. It might become an option if weapon skin prices rise high enough.

RIP keyfarming [merged]

Posted by: nexxe.7081

nexxe.7081

And it was also the only thing keeping BL weapon skins from being 10x more expensive than they currently are.

Fantastic. /s

Guess you also missed that they said it was perfectly okay.

Just because they said it was okay doesn’t mean it was intended or encouraged. Key farming is an unintended consequence of bad design. I’m glad they are changing it.

RIP keyfarming [merged]

Posted by: Uuni.3561

Uuni.3561

Key farming is an unintended consequence of bad design. I’m glad they are changing it.

Bad because you don’t like it or bad because of some actual reason? To me the fact that they pretty much only release new black lion ticket skins and gemstore armor is annoying as all hell. The game makes a lot of money and they keep milking it more and more as seen by the massive rise in gem price. In-game gold is absolutely worthless and soon it will be even more worthless when the skins that currently cost 70-100 gold will spike up a couple hundred gold at least. The economy is horribly mismanaged in the first place, this “bad design” (lmfao) is going to make it worse and is just another way to show middle finger to the players who don’t have a gambling issue and rather work in-game for their rewards because that’s what they don’t like, a person that doesn’t gamble real money for miniscule droprates

RIP keyfarming [merged]

Lord Kuru.3685

It’s a possibility of course, but the thing about key runs is that for them to be profitable, they were done fast.

If someone has to run to the crafting table after the tutorial, craft one profession to 400 (we’ll assume cooking here) to get 7 levels then another crafting to get one more level to reach level 10 then that takes both money and time. They will then need to do the key farm.

This was a clever thought though. I’m not sure it’s practical for repeated key runs at current weapon prices We’ll have to see if it becomes feasible. It might become an option if weapon skin prices rise high enough.

I was thinking you might be able to do most (all?) of the leveling by refining materials. For example, just do the easy parts for each of the 8 crafting professions.

It’ll cost a few gold, but buying a key outright costs 13g (gold → gems → keys in bulk) at the current exchange rate.

RIP keyfarming [merged]

Astral Projections.7320

I’m not sure where everyone is getting this level 10 requirement from. Just because that’s how it was on China’s release, doesn’t mean that’s what they are doing here. They never stated any specifics. For China’s release it was also “level 35 for wvw, level 45 for pvp”, but in the update news they stated:

“For experienced players, most systems are still available as they are today; we will simply introduce these systems more gradually to new players and allow them to learn our game at a reasonable pace. For example, WvW and PvP will be messaged to players via the level-up notification system at levels 18 and 22, and the buttons in the top left will be hidden until then, but experienced users can use the portals in Lion’s Arch or use hot keys to access those game modes immediately.”

So essentially nothing is really changing there… they are just making things more aesthetically simplified for newer players. So don’t go jumping to conclusions that they are going to remove our favorite past time…

Traits: moved from level 11 to level 30
Downed: moved from level 1 to level 5
WvW and PvP: buttons for immediate access removed till levels 18 and 22
Weapon swapping and skill unlocks “been moved a bit to fill in better with the progression of mechanics we’ve established.” (I think we can assume here they have been moved to higher levels).

Are you seeing a trend here? I feel I am.

So what did they about the personal story.
“we’re updating the personal story steps using our new Story Journal so they come in story chunks that unlock all at once per chapter.”
“In this way, story chapters become another big moment to look forward to earning and unlocking as your character levels up.”

If the story is available at level 2, then there is no “big moment”. No “looking forward to earning and unlocking it”.

If they use the China version, then it’s a system that’s already made up, it’s been debugged and tried out with that player base. It’s much more likely they will use this rather than making a brand new and different system for us.

RIP keyfarming [merged]

Posted by: Romek.4201

Romek.4201

haha never

you get only a message at this lvl to show you this buttons and how you gett access
i can not believe arenanet would be this stupid to not allow palyers go pvp before this lvls^^

95% from all pvp chars are lower than this lvl – they would so kill spvp

RIP keyfarming [merged]

Lord Kuru.3685

Update: apparently, in the Chinese version of the game, you don’t get a key until the Level 20 story.

RIP keyfarming [merged]

Astral Projections.7320

I was thinking you might be able to do most (all?) of the leveling by refining materials. For example, just do the easy parts for each of the 8 crafting professions.

It’ll cost a few gold, but buying a key outright costs 13g (gold -> gems -> keys in bulk) at the current exchange rate.

That’s a possibility.

I chose cooking as an option because you can do it with mostly heart mats. http://www.gw2crafts.net/cooking_karma.html which is relatively cheap and gives you 7 levels. If someone is doing this repeatedly, it might be cheaper to depend on karma mats rather than buying the low level mats.

Or possibly both depending on the prices at the time. Low level crafting on a mix of crafting professions and finishing up with cooking.

RIP keyfarming [merged]

Astral Projections.7320

haha never

you get only a message at this lvl to show you this buttons and how you gett access
i can not believe arenanet would be this stupid to not allow palyers go pvp before this lvls^^

95% from all pvp chars are lower than this lvl – they would so kill spvp

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/a-fresh-start-the-new-player-experience-in-guild-wars-2/
“For experienced players, most systems are still available as they are today; we will simply introduce these systems more gradually to new players and allow them to learn our game at a reasonable pace. For example, WvW and PvP will be messaged to players via the level-up notification system at levels 18 and 22, and the buttons in the top left will be hidden until then, but experienced users can use the portals in Lion’s Arch or use hot keys to access those game modes immediately. Once the buttons are unlocked for one character on your account, they’ll be visible to all future characters as well.”

Yep, the buttons are hidden for brand new players. Even if they know about WvW and PvP, they still have to track down the portals in LA.