RNG and Magic Find

RNG and Magic Find

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Stigma.7869

Stigma.7869

Anyone have good theories how why, how, or when items drop from monsters? There are Karma runners in Cursed Shore who keep making parties hoping it increases their drop rates, and then there are those who bet everything they have purely on Magic Find. Is it because loot drop is a function of the amount of damage inflicted on monsters so being in a party counts their dmg as yours to?

I also noticed in Fractals how inconsistent drops are when it came to maps like Ascalon. Sometimes you would get rares and sometimes you don’t even get a single drop.

I also read in another thread, how the Devs admitted they are able to freely turn off/on the item drops from monsters ad-hoc w/o needing any patches. What does this tell us about monster drops? Sometimes i would get trash loot drop aftering doing 10k dmg on a monster and sometimes I don’t. Sometimes I get loot by hitting the monster once, and other times not at all.

I seem to have more luck with getting just anything to drop if I dive into the mob hitting them before the NPCs touch them than letting the NPCs get a few hits on them first.

If the loot drop mechanic is similar to charging hammer in Cliffside Fractal, then you would need to be hitting the monster at some point right before it dies o/w you won’t get a charge.

If the loot drop mechanic was similar to Sigil of Luck charging, then there is the theory that some monsters simply don’t give you charges because they just have no loot and you can only charge the MF on monsters that do drop loot. So what is the RNG on that?

I’m sure the devs will never divulge the information for whatever reason, but I’d like to open up this to community discussion.

When you look into an abyss, the abyss also looks into you.

RNG and Magic Find

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: DancingPenguins.9875

DancingPenguins.9875

I am almost certain mobs in Fractals have their own lines of DR. My experience is that if I don’t do anything other than fractals with my character, which I haven’t for a long time, the loot from mobs eventually becomes nothing even if I don’t log on for a day or two. The drop rate gets better when I go out of my way to do some other dungeons even it means going back to fractals right after.