RNG experiment

RNG experiment

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

Since many of the complaints I’ve seen in the 2 recent rng threads have simply been “my younger second account gets better drops” I’m just going to try it for myself.

When the game goes on sale again, I’ll purchase a new account and I will try recording footage as I play either account, and then compare.

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

RNG experiment

Posted by: Andred.1087

Andred.1087

Why do we even give a kitten about RNG? You can’t change it! Talking about it is moot. If the devs see a problem, they will address it. If they have intentionally made it unfair, we can do nothing about it. The true reality of the RNG cannot be ascertained from observation of outcomes, and any effort to do so is futile. Just play the kitten game and take what it gives you.

“You’ll PAY to know what you really think.” ~ J. R. “Bob” Dobbs

(edited by Andred.1087)

RNG experiment

Posted by: HyruleanHyroe.1473

HyruleanHyroe.1473

Since many of the complaints I’ve seen in the 2 recent rng threads have simply been “my younger second account gets better drops” I’m just going to try it for myself.

When the game goes on sale again, I’ll purchase a new account and I will try recording footage as I play either account, and then compare.

My wife’s new account doesn’t seem to get anything better than mine. In fact, it seems like I get much better loot, though that may be due to the account-wide magic find boost. I’d be interested to hear what your findings are, though I just can’t believe that the folks at Anet are all sitting in their giant armchairs, stroking one-eyed cats and “MUAHAHAHAHAAAA”-ing all day about how they kittened over veteran players with bad RNG for no reason.

I have a “band”, Beatiatrician: http://youtu.be/zw_Sl-El8_I

RNG experiment

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

My wife’s new account doesn’t seem to get anything better than mine. In fact, it seems like I get much better loot, though that may be due to the account-wide magic find boost. I’d be interested to hear what your findings are, though I just can’t believe that the folks at Anet are all sitting in their giant armchairs, stroking one-eyed cats and “MUAHAHAHAHAAAA”-ing all day about how they kittened over veteran players with bad RNG for no reason.

shrug I don’t think Anet would intentionally shaft vets either, but I also won’t discount that a flaw/bug could potentially exist. I don’t really put much stock in the claims that younger accounts get distinctly better loot, or that certain accounts are destined to be lucky or unlucky. My personal experience does not support such observations. However, there seem to be several on this forum that swear up and down that it is so (yet seem to be unwilling to provide actual evidence), so I’ll give it a try myself and see if I see a similar pattern. Of course, this alone isn’t conclusive by any means, but perhaps others will join me, and if we do find an issue, then we can present Anet with data (that they have asked for) regarding the issue.

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

RNG experiment

Posted by: VincentDW.9376

VincentDW.9376

Bravo for suggesting and taking action instead of making claims based on anecdotes or assumptions. Even if data from 10 accounts may not be enough, on its own, to support a particular claim about how the RNG system functions, it may well draw enough attention and get enough people interested in participating to create a sample size that is meaningful for a future experiment.

RNG experiment

Posted by: TheFool.4589

TheFool.4589

Bravo for suggesting and taking action instead of making claims based on anecdotes or assumptions. Even if data from 10 accounts may not be enough, on its own, to support a particular claim about how the RNG system functions, it may well draw enough attention and get enough people interested in participating to create a sample size that is meaningful for a future experiment.

Wow. Your the first one in awhile who actually gets this post lol thank you.

I have created a NA guild for anyone who would like to join in on the research.

(edited by TheFool.4589)

RNG experiment

Posted by: Zanshin.5379

Zanshin.5379

5 is not a big enough sample. 50 isn’t a big enough sample. Even 100 isn’t a big enough sample.

RNG experiment

Posted by: TheFool.4589

TheFool.4589

5 is not a big enough sample. 50 isn’t a big enough sample. Even 100 isn’t a big enough sample.

Re-read the post.its a start. 10>50>100>10000 right now 10 is manageable

RNG experiment

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

Re-read the post.its a start. 10>50>100>10000 right now 10 is manageable

Let’s assume that the sample size of 10 overwhelmingly shows that RNG is behaving like it should. Would you stop and accept the results as credible or would you expand the sample size?

How about the same question but instead you had gotten results that overwhelmingly showed that RNG was behaving incorrectly amongst the sample size of 10?

RNG experiment

Posted by: Andraus.3874

Andraus.3874

I’ve put some more thought into this. I really admire the OP’s persistence. However it just won’t work. We don’t know enough about game mechanics to take into account all the variables because we don’t know all the variables to take account for. A great example of this is DR. We don’t know if there is some type of monthly or bi-monthly+ DR on characters or accounts that limits the amount of exotics or precursors that account or character can get. So you could test the “RNG system” and get some results but without knowing everything that affects drops and loot then the results aren’t valid.

I’m not saying to not go for it. I’m just saying no matter what you do, you will have no idea how valid your results are.