RNG needs a revamp....

RNG needs a revamp....

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Ziantra.8502

Ziantra.8502

Q:

This RNG systems totally blows for some of us. I have over 4k hours, 195% mf base rate and have done Teq for 2 years daily-never so much as a mini. Thats over 750 Teqs….Yet I have guild mates that are getting 3 ascended chests in 23 days with MF under 100 that play less than a handful of hours a week. Now I KNOW that MF does NOT affect chests but it seems that RNG is totally out of whack all across the board. I put in over 6 hours a day at SW and I could count the exotic drops I get in a 2 week period on less than one hand. Others get 3 or 4 per run. Carapace coat box? Took me 24 SUCCESSFUL VW’s and others were getting it EVERY vine and were convinced it was an automatic for a VW win. Anet-do SOMETHING to level out this system please!!!!

RNG needs a revamp....

Posted by: Anyandrell.6238

Anyandrell.6238

When my MF was under 100 I used to get between 3 and 6 exotics in a 4-5 hours SW run. Now I’m at 160 and I MIGHT get an exotic a month. If that.

RNG needs a revamp....

Ziantra.8502

Yes Anyandrell-I also feel that the more MF I have the less I get. I’m just tired of some players pulling ascended chest after chest from Teq-2 Zaps in a week from SW while others of us who put in MORE time get absolutely zero.

RNG needs a revamp....

Posted by: Neox.3497

Neox.3497

Agree, the worst part are the precursors. But hey, you are playing a classical MMO, that part didn’t change after all.

RNG needs a revamp....

Ziantra.8502

It just seems very unbalanced is all :O(

RNG needs a revamp....

Posted by: Aidan Savage.2078

Aidan Savage.2078

RNG is RNG and confirmation bias is confirmation bias. Additionally, ascended and some exotic drops have a low drop rate. Further, outliers signify a working RNG system. If there werent outliers, there’d be something wrong.

Also, if you’ve done teq over 700 times already, just go and buy the mini <_> It’s like 20g the last time I checked.

edit: also, your thread is in the wrong format. you arent looking for an answer.

RNG needs a revamp....

Posted by: carabidus.6214

carabidus.6214

Please see the thread here:

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/RNG-as-a-concept-Discuss/first

The entire RNG system needs a second look. Forget about the precursor scavenger hunt. This game needs a system that tracks the number of failure on loot tables that contain precursors and increases your probabilities with each failure. This same idea can be applied to other rare items like skins, etc.

RNG needs a revamp....

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

The drop rates for desirable items are very low due to the plethora of undesirable items in the tables. There’s no lack of loot, per se, it’s just that most all of it is salvage bait or just junk. There are too many items, too many tiers, and most all of it is of little worth.

Unfortunately, this is the way the system is designed. Rarity is preserved by extremely low drop rates (think along the lines of 1/000 of a percent). Most desirable items can be had anywhere. With most items being available anywhere, think of the size of the tables.

RNG needs a revamp....

Posted by: Andraus.3874

Andraus.3874

MF doesn’t influence world chests. Also if you are farming SW watch out for Diminishing Returns. It’s challenging to tell when DR wears off for you. Sometimes I think it can take up to days but there’s no way for us to know. Best solution is to rotate in different charaters and its apparently charater bound.

But yeah RNG needs fixed. Also showing us our current DR would be awesome…

RNG needs a revamp....

Posted by: IEximius.9204

IEximius.9204

Millions and millions of units of trash greens/blues, worthless rares aside from ectos, heavy rng… the entire loot system needs a rehaul from the bottom to the top, unfortunately I dont think we will ever see that happen and if by miraculous chance it does, it will be years from now.

RNG needs a revamp....

Posted by: Deedrick.4372

Deedrick.4372

Is it just me, or does it seem like newer accounts with lower ap get better drops. My second account has already gotten as many ascended boxes and plenty of exotics as my normal account got in 2+ yrs

RNG needs a revamp....

Ziantra.8502

Ty for that link cara-very good thread! I too am in the unfortunately cursed end of the spectrum and after two years its getting so I don’t even WANT to go to Teq any more. This bad end of the spectrum is denting me to the point where if I wasn’t a Guild leader I would go off and find another game to play. I certainly don’t have ANy hope of ever getting a precursor let alone the Teq mini. To the poster that said “just buy it on the TP” thats not the point……
Amazing how you can be subject to “diminished returns” yet that doesn’t seem to apply to “increased chance of a reward” after 2 solid years of grinding. VERY disappointed in this system.

RNG needs a revamp....

Ziantra.8502

Aidan-its real easy for you to say “Further, outliers signify a working RNG system. If there werent outliers, there’d be something wrong.” when you AREN’T one of those that gets shafted by this system on a daily basis. This system NEEDS a serious revisit-it’s arbitrary and unfair in its present format.

RNG needs a revamp....

Posted by: Seera.5916

Seera.5916

Aidan-its real easy for you to say “Further, outliers signify a working RNG system. If there werent outliers, there’d be something wrong.” when you AREN’T one of those that gets shafted by this system on a daily basis. This system NEEDS a serious revisit-it’s arbitrary and unfair in its present format.

RNG if it’s completely balanced will have a bell shaped curve for the average value of results it gives for every player.

Let’s say an RNG generator generates numbers from 1-100. Where 1 is junk loot and 100 is very valuable loot such as precursors.

The majority of players will get numbers that average at or round 50. Another couple of portions will be at 25 and a portion at 75. These players don’t have a huge issue as they don’t get too shafted and aren’t that lucky.

Then there will be the outliers who fall around 1 and outliers who fall around 100. Most of us greatly envy the group who fall around 100 and pray we aren’t the ones who fall around 1.

Just the nature of statistics.

Some games will have measures to balance the RNG perception. AKA: means to keep the outliers who fall around 1 from feeling like they’ll never get anything. Counters that measure the number of failures and after X failures, they get a heavy boost to their luck at getting a drop near the 100 mark. A token system where after X tries you can get what you wanted if you hadn’t gotten it before.

True RNG is unfair.

RNG needs a revamp....

Posted by: Azhure.1857

Azhure.1857

How is this a Q&A thread?

Isle of Janthir Megaserver

RNG needs a revamp....

Ziantra.8502

@azhure-because I set it up wrong…..was there anything PERTINENT you wanted to add?
And actually I’m getting some very informed answers even though there wasn’t really a question per se-but thanks for posting…..
I’m hoping Anet takes some of this on board-the RNG system for outliers like me on the 1 end just sucks royally-and its not changing after 2 years, in fact I’d say its getting worse.
Are there ANY plans to address this at all does anyone know? From what I’ve read on other threads it seems OTHER games have some counter measures in place.

RNG needs a revamp....

Posted by: Aidan Savage.2078

Aidan Savage.2078

Sadly, hoping for a precursor drop from teq is doomed to failure to begin with. Your odds are so low, you’re better off farming teq for the rare and exotic weapons to toss into the forge to gamble for a precursor. It’s how I’ve gotten all 5 I’ve had (and subsequently sold). Granted, a couple of those were from buying weapons for the hell of it to forge.

Second, you should know by now (if you really played for 2 years) that Anet doesnt give hints as to what they’re doing unless they’re nearly completely finished with it. Do they have any plans to address the outlier problem with RNG? Maybe they do, maybe they dont. The whole thing would precipitate on a full revamp of the system in every area in almost all cases, which could take months or years. A simple copypasta from other games wouldnt work. Those games arent this game.

RNG needs a revamp....

Azhure.1857

@azhure-because I set it up wrong…..was there anything PERTINENT you wanted to add?
And actually I’m getting some very informed answers even though there wasn’t really a question per se-but thanks for posting…..

Anything PERTINENT? Not particularly. This is just another, often repeated, QQ thread. “RNG isn’t fair!” — Yeah well life isn’t fair either. Yet somehow we manage to truck on…. with varying degrees of disgruntlement.

RNG needs a revamp....

Posted by: Olvendred.3027

Olvendred.3027

OP, you’ve gotten literally thousands of gold just from doing those Teqs. You don’t need a 4.5g mini.

People complaining about the reward system seem to have this weird tunnel vision where they ignore everything they earn, except for a tiny amount of expensive items.

RNG needs a revamp....

Posted by: carabidus.6214

carabidus.6214

This is just another, often repeated, QQ thread. “RNG isn’t fair!” — Yeah well life isn’t fair either. Yet somehow we manage to truck on…. with varying degrees of disgruntlement.

But do we want a game that’s like real life? Do we not play games as a diversion from the travails of our workaday existence?

RNG needs a revamp....

Posted by: CureForLiving.5360

CureForLiving.5360

This RNG systems totally blows for some of us. I have over 4k hours, 195% mf base rate and have done Teq for 2 years daily-never so much as a mini.

Teq drops aren’t affected by magic find… a lot of things aren’t sadly.

When my MF was under 100 I used to get between 3 and 6 exotics in a 4-5 hours SW run. Now I’m at 160 and I MIGHT get an exotic a month. If that.

I however am getting a lot of exotics (comparable to a year or two ago). I’m 220 more or less for mf. Just remember things like MF don’t affect loot bags, so no matter your magic find those sw run champ bags won’t be any better.

Yes Anyandrell-I also feel that the more MF I have the less I get. I’m just tired of some players pulling ascended chest after chest from Teq-2 Zaps in a week from SW while others of us who put in MORE time get absolutely zero.

So I assume this is Texas Sharpshooter right? Sorry I’m somewhat unsure, my fallacies and biases are sufficient for passing conversation but not really for much more.

MF doesn’t influence world chests. Also if you are farming SW watch out for Diminishing Returns.

Don’t think DR affect champ bags though, and that’s were most of the SW loot comes from.

This system NEEDS a serious revisit-it’s arbitrary and unfair in its present format.

RNG allows equality of opportunity not parity of outcome, fairness beyond that is a rather deeply debatable concept. What you seem to be looking for is a system that will definitely give you the loot you want, which is the very opposite of RNG.

I’m hoping Anet takes some of this on board-the RNG system for outliers like me on the 1 end just sucks royally

I’d imagine something as follows: you do teq and you say have a 1% change, next time a 2% chance and so on and so on until eventually you have a 100% chance and then it resets to 1%. Mind you even in such a system you’d still have outliers, you’d still have the guy you keeps getting teq hoards at 1 or 2% chances. To remove outliers will require the removal of randomness.

RNG needs a revamp....

Azhure.1857

This is just another, often repeated, QQ thread. “RNG isn’t fair!” — Yeah well life isn’t fair either. Yet somehow we manage to truck on…. with varying degrees of disgruntlement.

But do we want a game that’s like real life? Do we not play games as a diversion from the travails of our workaday existence?

True. Escapism is a large part of gaming. Yet, imo, there should always be a foundation of realism in the best of games. I’ve yet to hear a good suggestion on a new and improved system to this problem, if it is even a problem at all. The alternatives would come with their own set of issues and we would then be faced with an all new set of rage threads.

Imagine for a moment if we all got whatever items we wanted?
If we were all rich? If no items held any level of rarity? Take a moment to envision GW2 like that. If everyone is rich then nobody is. If no item is rare then all items become worthless.

Now with that picture in mind — Do you truly believe players would stay in the game for very long? I don’t think they would.

Notice also that we don’t really see people raging for their fellow players all deserving Eternity. We don’t see players stating that everyone else should get whatever they want. Posts in these threads are primarily self-centered. I’ve done this activity so many times and/or I’ve played the game this long and I still don’t have this item that I really want… While that dude there got it! Not fair! Not fair! Not fair!”

Is RNG a perfect system? No. But its good enough for me, flaws and all, until a better system is presented that won’t break the game.

(edited by Azhure.1857)

RNG needs a revamp....

Azhure.1857

I’d imagine something as follows: you do teq and you say have a 1% change, next time a 2% chance and so on and so on until eventually you have a 100% chance and then it resets to 1%. Mind you even in such a system you’d still have outliers, you’d still have the guy you keeps getting teq hoards at 1 or 2% chances. To remove outliers will require the removal of randomness.

That is a good thought. But its as you said, there will always be those lucky players that get more than others. That get things faster and more often. Which again will lead us back here with people crying out at how unfair things are for them.