Race-Change Item in Gem Store?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Mojoman.2815

Mojoman.2815

Are there any plans to include a race-change item in the game and if not, can there be? With the hero point upheaval as well as requirements for other retcon items, its reasonable that we can now more than ever include this feature within the game.

I do not want to delete my main character, who I’ve had since the 3day Headstart on release, and I would gladly pay for one or two race-changes to solidify and diversify my account character list.

Thoughts on Race Changing?

Posted by: Seera.5916

Seera.5916

The amount of work it would take to allow for this would not be able to be earned back.

This is due to the personal story. The Level 1-80 part of it. The choices one makes in that story, including the parts in character creation that are racial specific, are coded to be unchangeable. They’ve mentioned that they’ve tried to make the story replayable, but that just ends up with more glitches. Including not being able to progress in the story any farther.

Even the devs moving story chapters around has caused problems for players who were on those affected chapters to some degree.

And then even if you could handle the story problems, then you get to racial armor that’s for the old race and is soulbound to the character that is no longer the proper race. And switching to the new racial armor is problematic due to the achievements.

Posted by: pdavis.8031

pdavis.8031

Are there any plans to include a race-change item in the game and if not, can there be? With the hero point upheaval as well as requirements for other retcon items, its reasonable that we can now more than ever include this feature within the game.

I do not want to delete my main character, who I’ve had since the 3day Headstart on release, and I would gladly pay for one or two race-changes to solidify and diversify my account character list.

Thoughts on Race Changing?

This has been discussed at length many times. The short answer. No. The whole personal story bit, as well as many other logistical problem arise when trying to change race.

“You know what the chain of command is?
It’s the chain I beat you with until you
recognize my command!”

Posted by: Aenaos.8160

Aenaos.8160

Given the personal story which is different for each race and then it varies depending on your choices especially for the first half of the story I don’t see that happening.

-Win a pip,lose a pip,win a pip,lose a pip,lose a pip,
lose a pip,win 2 pips,lose a pip,lose a pip…………..-
-Go go Espartz.-

Posted by: Shaogin.2679

Shaogin.2679

If you need any additional info, feel free to search througb the countless threads already open on this exact same topic. Here, I’ll even provide a link for since nobody knows how to use google anymore.

The magic of Google!

Doc Von Doom – Asuran Necromancer
Gate of Madness
Contribute to the Wiki MetaBattle Builds

Posted by: Aidan Savage.2078

Aidan Savage.2078

its reasonable that we can now more than ever include this feature within the game.

No, it isnt. You want a different race? Make a new character.

Posted by: Squee.7829

Squee.7829

This would probably make a complete mess of any future personal story arcs that involve your race.

Leader and sole member of the “Bring Penguins to Tyria” movement.

Posted by: serialkicker.5274

serialkicker.5274

Before another dozen people say exactly same thing I’ll say I don’t see why they couldn’t do it. Reset personal story and problem solved. I’m sure if someone really wants to change the race, they wouldn’t mind doing personal story again. Now, don’t start with “it’s not immersive” nonsense, because many many things are not immersive in game and also why do you care how other players play their game? If I for example change my race and my story resets, how will that affect you? If I don’t care about my character being in “non immersive” way, why would you?
I’m pretty sure Anet could do it if they wanted, they just don’t want it, that’s the problem. Same thing as with separating PvE from PvP.

Posted by: Ubi.4136

Ubi.4136

Actually, I know they said it can’t be done due to “no way to remove previous XP gains”, personal story choices, etc…I doubt this is true. Here is why:

My thief is Asuran, and was on the final step of the personal story, Victory or Death. Sadly, as I have 8 other toons, I never made it around to doing the last step in the story line. 3 years go by and I get a mail from Soothsayer Jacinda telling me she can help me with my issues. I was bored and had no idea what it would do, but I talked to her, accepted the choice and it reset my personal story to the beginning or Chapter 7. (sigh) Every step I did after, replaying chapter 7, gave me the rewards/XP as if I had never done them before.

Fun part: my personal story still showed every step that was later in the story I had previously done. Even more amusing, was that the story Jacinda put me on, was not the chain I had done before. It ignored every choice from character creation all the way through my personal story and put me on the story they wanted me on with Jacinda’s reset.

I submitted an email before starting it up again and Anet basically told me they couldn’t reset my story to Victory or Death and I had to replay the rest of the story, which is what I’ve been doing.

When I hit chapter 8, all of my chapter 8 story completed log items vanished. I am now getting all of the game mails from my original story/steps (I chose) and the ones from the story Jacinda put me on (what they chose) every time I do the next step. They are forcing me to do their path, not mine.

TLDR:
I went from Victory or Death (last story quest) to Forming the Pact (start of Act 3) by talking to Soothsayer Jacinda. It changed/ignored every step I chose, both in character creation and personal story choices, and has set me on a completely different story line I didn’t choose. I didn’t lose anything, other than progress, and am getting new XP/rewards as if I never did the story on that toon.

My take: Race changes are possible, I just don’t think they want to spend time making it happen.

Lost in the Maguuma [TC]
Te Nosce [TC]

Posted by: Squee.7829

Squee.7829

If you really don’t care about immersion, why bother changing (or re-doing) the personal story at all? If you look like a Charr, but the game acts like you’re a Sylvari, why does it matter?
I’m not arguing against your logic, by the way. I agree with you. If you don’t care about immersion, then that’s your right. You play how you want to, and this really doesn’t affect other people. So go for it. I just think changing your personal story is a lot of work for nothing. Do you really care if the story gets a few details wrong once i a while if you’re not really looking to be immersed?
If you’re willing to accept that future and past personal story events don’t quite sync up, then I say go for it. Be the Charr on the outside you always felt you were on the inside, you beautiful fuzzy kitten!

Leader and sole member of the “Bring Penguins to Tyria” movement.

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

Reset personal story and problem solved.

You make it sound as if that is trivial for ANet to do; it’s not. Each time a character progresses in the personal story, they get rewards, there are program ‘flags’ that get set and closed, there are things that change in home instances and in the open world (even if not all that many).

Resetting the personal story would mean going back and tracing every single potential change and making sure it’s back as it was before. And testing to make sure nothing breaks, which (as we’ve seen with other areas) is probably impossible.

It’s far, far easier for the player to create a new character.

I have no personal objection to the concept of offering a race change contract. However, I don’t think it’s the best use of ANet’s limited resources — I far prefer for them to work on things that will provide a bigger benefit to far more people.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Posted by: penelopehannibal.8947

penelopehannibal.8947

Look at the price of an Identity Repair Kit. For the price a racial change contract would probably cost in relation to one of those, it’d probably be cheaper to get a character expansion slot.

Blood & Merlot [Wine]

(edited by penelopehannibal.8947)

Posted by: Sirius.4510

Sirius.4510

A software development saying I heard: anything’s possible, it just depends how much you’re willing to pay for it.

It might be a big step along the way there if they got the original personal story to be replayable… evidently there’s a non-trivial (i.e. expensive) amount of scripting rework to be done to make that happen. But then you have to roll back things that even LW S2 doesn’t have a precedent for – the choices you made along the way. Unsure how simple that is – could be easy, could be horrible. (I heard someone else say that the only people qualified to decide how difficult something is to implement in GW2 are those that have worked on it.)

Just a random PuGgle.
Stormbluff Isle ( http://www.stormbluffisle.com )

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

What should happen to Achievement Points? Roll them back? What about the rewards from said Points?

Give them twice? Would there not be cries of ‘Unfair!’?

I think a race change option would be a lot of work…a lot of work…and I’d rather the Devs spend time and resources on something else.

Posted by: DoctorDing.5890

DoctorDing.5890

It depends what the OP means by race change and why they want to do it.

I would think it would be fairly easy to just change a toon from one race to another whilst keeping all the same history, achievements, level gains and equipment. Any equipment that is race specific becomes useless and is not replaced by anything.There is no option to go back and play the race specific parts of the story. Future encounters treat you as if you have been the new race all along. OK, so your toon history is a bit nonsensical but, hey, it’s a fantasy game. Maybe you had your memory messed up by an Asuran experiment. The gem price would have to be high, as it would have to cover a total makeover and possibly a name change too.

At the other end of the scale is the very ambitious mash-up of undoing any race specific stuff and redoing it as the new race. How would that work? Would you go back to level 1? What about all the “per character” things you have already earned? etc etc. I can;t see this one being viable or even very popular, especially as you can just buy another character slot and start afresh.

But, yes, in software all things are possible…. but…

Posted by: penelopehannibal.8947

penelopehannibal.8947

Cultural Armour as well is a factor.

Blood & Merlot [Wine]

Posted by: Xadirius.5198

Xadirius.5198

How about at least something like a Knowledge Transfer Item, where you can transfer some character progress to a new character, waypoints, crafting, age, level, certain BLTC upgrades (bag slots, etc.). I mean they already added an instant 80 item, it can’t be too different, maybe a PITA though.

Posted by: Roxanne.6140

Roxanne.6140

They’ve added in many features to make levelling easier now than ever. Most people have overflowing tomes of knowledge. You can get them in wvw. I think this should make up for the lack of a race change option. Plus people are still doing hp runs even after so long since hot launch.

gaem not made for mi
===========

Illconceived Was Na.9781

How about at least something like a Knowledge Transfer Item, where you can transfer some character progress to a new character, waypoints, crafting, age, level, certain BLTC upgrades (bag slots, etc.). I mean they already added an instant 80 item, it can’t be too different, maybe a PITA though.

As people stated above, it’s a lot more complicated than just “transferring some character progress” — there’s all sorts of minor and major behind-the-scenes mechanics going on. As a result, I don’t think we’re ever going to see the ability to transfer story progress, map completion (including waypoints), level, age, or race.

They probably could figure out a way to transfer the stuff that isn’t dependent on character progress, such as: crafting, number of bags, and… well that might it. Unless they did something weird, it should be possible to cancel the improvements from character A. (Even just being able to move the number of bag slots would be welcomed by a lot of people, I think.)

However, for all that work, I’m not sure that they’d be able to charge a reasonable amount that we’d see as a fair price for the benefits.

tl;dr it’s a really useful idea, but not all that likely to get implemented any time soon

Posted by: Paulytnz.7619

Paulytnz.7619

Before another dozen people say exactly same thing I’ll say I don’t see why they couldn’t do it. Reset personal story and problem solved. I’m sure if someone really wants to change the race, they wouldn’t mind doing personal story again. Now, don’t start with “it’s not immersive” nonsense, because many many things are not immersive in game and also why do you care how other players play their game? If I for example change my race and my story resets, how will that affect you? If I don’t care about my character being in “non immersive” way, why would you?
I’m pretty sure Anet could do it if they wanted, they just don’t want it, that’s the problem. Same thing as with separating PvE from PvP.

So you say reset the story and no problem? I say what is the difference doing this compared to just buying a new char slot and starting again from scratch? All it does is create MORE work with possibly MORE bugs for anet to bother with.

The op says he/she would be glad to pay for such a feature to expand on his/her account. Again I say it’s already there – buy a new char slot.

Since when did this business of being a hero become being a business?

Posted by: Tiefsee.3647

Tiefsee.3647

You don’t want to delte your old account but would pay for an item? Why not buying a new character slot? Leveling becomes easyer and faster as ypu progress and gaining the heropoints is just a farming tour…

Posted by: Tiefsee.3647

Tiefsee.3647

They’ve added in many features to make levelling easier now than ever. Most people have overflowing tomes of knowledge. You can get them in wvw. I think this should make up for the lack of a race change option. Plus people are still doing hp runs even after so long since hot launch.

WvW as well? I gut my stock of them in PvP… used WvW only to farm heropoints once

Posted by: Orpheal.8263

Orpheal.8263

Heres a simple solution for you OP, and its sooo simple, and costs you nothing at all, than just only 5 minutes of your time, that it is most “probably” kept so top secret, that people have to keep asking for things like this here ….

1: Delete your useless Character
2: Create a new Character with the Race that you want
3: Use Tomes to get instantly back to Max Level
4: Use Proofs to get instantly back your Elite Specialization, if required for your Build
5: Play that new character until you have regeared yourself, which comes as payment for not making stupid decisions at Character Creation and making up rather your final decisions if you like with what you play EARLY.

There you have your Race change.. That was really rocket science, or not? Easy solution, or?
At least a much quicker solution, than to ask for four years to get presentated by Anet a lazy gemstore solution on the silver platter that would cost them tons of ressources and is mostly technically impossible to do, only bcause there are some people which were to incompetent to make up at character creation for 5 minutes some thoughts about it, if they even like what they have created there…. instead of playing what they created there for up to four years and then ask for race changes when they suddenly don’t like their characters anymore the way how they have them created…

Don’t you think too???

Personally I like the idea behind sub classes ~ quoted from Chris Whiteside

Illconceived Was Na.9781

Heres a simple solution for you …

4: Use Proofs to get instantly back your Elite Specialization, if required for your Build
5: Play that new character until you have regeared yourself, which comes as payment for not making stupid decisions at Character Creation and making up rather your final decisions if you like with what you play EARLY.

There you have your Race change.. That was really rocket science, or not? Easy solution, or?

This would not actually match the OP’s request — deleting a character does not preserve any of the changes to the character; we lose bag slots and crafting.

I can’t imagine ANet is going to provide a race-change option for the gem shop and I agree that re-rolling or adding a new character slot are effective alternatives. Still, let’s not pretend that they cover all the features asked for by the OP and countless others.

Posted by: Orpheal.8263

Orpheal.8263

ok, thats somthign I can agree with ,stuff liek bought content from gemstore must not get lost when you delete characters, because thats digital content for that you have payed real money thats still somehow linked to your account… however, craftign is an other topic and is somethign that everybody can influence and is part of the players “payment” for not making of their final decision early…

When someboddy wants to change their whoel charactrs suddenly after several years and has invested alot of gold ect into the progession of that character, then its THEIR FAULT, not that of ANet when they make you lose that progression for enabling you to reset practically your character to 0 to be able to eventualyl change your race that way.

However, bought services from the gemstore NEVER should get lost and if thats the case, then has ANet to make sure, that this doesn’t happen and your bought gemstore Services get turned a 1x activation chat code with that you can regenerate for one of your characters these bought services to give the bought extra bag slots to a character you want to give them, so that your bought service doesn’t get lost on the process.

Personally I like the idea behind sub classes ~ quoted from Chris Whiteside

Posted by: EphemeralWallaby.7643

EphemeralWallaby.7643

Would an endless tonic for each race be an adequate compromise? Maybe if it let you keep your current outfit on while simultaneously presenting you as that different race (if that’s even possible)?

~EW

Posted by: Cyninja.2954

Cyninja.2954

Actually, I know they said it can’t be done due to “no way to remove previous XP gains”, personal story choices, etc…I doubt this is true. Here is why:

My thief is Asuran, and was on the final step of the personal story, Victory or Death. Sadly, as I have 8 other toons, I never made it around to doing the last step in the story line. 3 years go by and I get a mail from Soothsayer Jacinda telling me she can help me with my issues. I was bored and had no idea what it would do, but I talked to her, accepted the choice and it reset my personal story to the beginning or Chapter 7. (sigh) Every step I did after, replaying chapter 7, gave me the rewards/XP as if I had never done them before.

Fun part: my personal story still showed every step that was later in the story I had previously done. Even more amusing, was that the story Jacinda put me on, was not the chain I had done before. It ignored every choice from character creation all the way through my personal story and put me on the story they wanted me on with Jacinda’s reset.

I submitted an email before starting it up again and Anet basically told me they couldn’t reset my story to Victory or Death and I had to replay the rest of the story, which is what I’ve been doing.

When I hit chapter 8, all of my chapter 8 story completed log items vanished. I am now getting all of the game mails from my original story/steps (I chose) and the ones from the story Jacinda put me on (what they chose) every time I do the next step. They are forcing me to do their path, not mine.

TLDR:
I went from Victory or Death (last story quest) to Forming the Pact (start of Act 3) by talking to Soothsayer Jacinda. It changed/ignored every step I chose, both in character creation and personal story choices, and has set me on a completely different story line I didn’t choose. I didn’t lose anything, other than progress, and am getting new XP/rewards as if I never did the story on that toon.

My take: Race changes are possible, I just don’t think they want to spend time making it happen.

The personal story and especially the later missions saw multiple revamps and changes as far as order and how they appear. This might cause problems or interesting bugs with characters created during the original run that complete the living story later. My second guardian for example is missing all steps past 7 in his story journal.

That being said, Arenanet never said it’s impossible to implement race-change, only that the amount of work and effort required to properly implement this feature is to high.

That and they probably figured they’d rather have people buying new character slots and making more characters than just race changing.

Illconceived Was Na.9781

Would an endless tonic for each race be an adequate compromise? Maybe if it let you keep your current outfit on while simultaneously presenting you as that different race (if that’s even possible)?

~EW

That’s an interesting idea. I have no idea how practical it would be, since current tonics transform everything (you use the animations of another type of character, leading to some tonics preventing you from interacting with NPCs & nodes) or updates the outfit.

I’d say, EW, that’s worth a post on its own.

Posted by: Agemnon.4608

Agemnon.4608

If they introduce a new race I think giving a discount on a character slot would be a better idea. Skins and ascended gear are account wide anyway.

Posted by: BrotherBelial.3094

BrotherBelial.3094

They can not do it dew to they way the game was coded. They looked at this about the same time they looked at making the PS replayable. They found that it would cause massive problems from the game crashing, to not being able to proceed with the personal story dew to an array of bugs. In short even if they could get it to work, the bug fixing that would need to be undertaken afterwards would make the whole thing not financially viable. That is the core thing.

But people seem to think coding is just pushing a button and its done. It’s ANets game and there code, they will always know it better than us. If they say no it can’t be done, then it can’t deal with it and move on.

i5 4690K @ 3.5Mhz|8GB HyperX Savage 1600mHz|MSI H81M-E34|MSI GTX 960 Gaming 2GB|
|Seasonic S12G 650W|Win10 Pro X64| Corsair Spec 03 Case|

Inculpatus cedo.9234

TLDR:

Or, your example just shows how buggy the story becomes when even just parts of it are reset. As much as players are dissatisfied with the amount of bugs in games, probably better not to introduce the great possibility of more.

Posted by: Morgulian.4158

Morgulian.4158

I’d also very much love to see such an option, and I don’t see any issues that would make it impossible (other than "we don’t want to make it).
Story being influenced by race has at least a couple of possible solutions:
- Item to be allowed for use only on characters who have already completed the personal story.
- Item to change the race in terms of appearance, but otherwise to remain the original for the purpose of story.
- Item to reset all your personal story to stage 1, and make you replay it, without getting any rewards for it.
I am sure I can think of more ways to work it around.
Regarding the cultural armors:
- You will no longer be able to use them after you change race. You will not be able to change race as long as you have any cultural armor pieces equipped (or they will be automatically unequipped when you do).
I have 1 character of each class and each race, without charr. I’d love to change my revenant norn to charr, but deleting it doesn’t look like an attractive option because I have 100% map completion on it, crafting skills, and time since creation (for birthday). If they make a consumable item that enables race change, I’d readily pay some 2000 gems for it.

Posted by: zealex.9410

zealex.9410

clouldn’t it make it so your ps resets whe you swap race?

Posted by: Seera.5916

Seera.5916

clouldn’t it make it so your ps resets whe you swap race?

Any time they’ve messed with the personal story, they haven’t been able to do so without major glitches, including not being able to progress in the story. The personal story is so hard coded into the game, it’s hard to change without causing problems.

Just look at the thread about the personal story readjustment.

Posted by: Blude.6812

Blude.6812

Never going to happen and the OP could have discovered that by using Google to read up on the 100’s of threads out there.

Posted by: Napo.1230

Napo.1230

I’d love this item so much!!
If only they could sell me an outfit to “look like” another race ignoring all the personal story stuff, even if it’s only applicable in certain game modes.
I made too many full sized norns with gear and now want tiny little auras that make wvw seem faster

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

If only they could sell me an outfit to “look like” another race ignoring all the personal story stuff, even if it’s only applicable in certain game modes.
I made too many full sized norns with gear and now want tiny little auras that make wvw seem faster

Combat tonics should do that. If they made an Asura combat tonic you could use that in WvW.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Major Domo.9250

Major Domo.9250

How about a set of combat tonics that replace your appearance with that of another race, down to the armor/outfit and dyes? Dunno how these things are coded but an appearance-only change seems reasonable.

/charrtrekkin’

Posted by: Sephas.8793

Sephas.8793

Didn’t they introduce a miniature combat tonic in Lake Doric?

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Endless_Miniature_Tonic

Ahh, but this doesn’t work in The Mists…

Posted by: Uxinn.5018

Uxinn.5018

It may be complicated to change race and keeping uncompleted progress of main story but if you finished it then I don’t see the complication. Choices you made in the main story have no effect on the rest of the content anyways.
So make it available for characters with max level that have finished their main story or reset it to beginning if you haven’t completed it. doesn’t matter.

Posted by: Linken.6345

Linken.6345

I’d also very much love to see such an option, and I don’t see any issues that would make it impossible (other than "we don’t want to make it).
Story being influenced by race has at least a couple of possible solutions:
- Item to be allowed for use only on characters who have already completed the personal story.

• Item to change the race in terms of appearance, but otherwise to remain the original for the purpose of story.*
    - Item to reset all your personal story to stage 1, and make you replay it, without getting any rewards for it.
    I am sure I can think of more ways to work it around.
    Regarding the cultural armors:
    - You will no longer be able to use them after you change race. You will not be able to change race as long as you have any cultural armor pieces equipped (or they will be automatically unequipped when you do).
    I have 1 character of each class and each race, without charr. I’d love to change my revenant norn to charr, but deleting it doesn’t look like an attractive option because I have 100% map completion on it, crafting skills, and time since creation (for birthday). If they make a consumable item that enables race change, I’d readily pay some 2000 gems for it.

Oh would be funny to see human females with charr male voices running around, I would roll around the floor laughing if this ever got implimented.

Illconceived Was Na.9781

It may be complicated to change race and keeping uncompleted progress of main story but if you finished it then I don’t see the complication. Choices you made in the main story have no effect on the rest of the content anyways.
So make it available for characters with max level that have finished their main story or reset it to beginning if you haven’t completed it. doesn’t matter.

First, it’s not true that race doesn’t affect other parts of the story. It’s used in variety of ways, although mostly not very noteworthy. Second, while you or I might not see that race affects anything else, the game’s code was written with the assumption that race wouldn’t change; it’s hard to know what, if anything, would be affected.

So swapping race is relatively easy. Ensuring that it doesn’t create any immediate or future problems is why it takes a lot of resources.

Posted by: Paulytnz.7619

Paulytnz.7619

Possible problems of this:

1- Would resetting your race/PS also reset rewards from the PS? If so here we go again with key farming except only for those who are spending gems. There is a total of 3 keys per char from PS + 1 from LS2 and 1 from HOT. So I am not just talking the lvl 10 quests here. Oh and I should have mentioned that atm ONLY the key from the lvl 10 story is limited to once per week.

So people would be able to simply change their race, do the PS and grab 3 keys from there, decide if they want to do LS2 (not worth it) or Hot as well for an extra 1 or 2. Reset race and repeat with only the lvl 10 quest key being missed due to the current one per weekly rule. Rinse and repeat. Not to also forget all the other rewards on top from these stories. Weapon skins, free exotics etc etc.

2 – You are overlooking the fact now with Living story stuff they ARE looking back at choices we made when we made our chars and even certain things we did in our PS. Example. I ran a new Norn Ele through the PS recently and then took him to HOT and did his story there. A certain NPC was still angry at him because he let her husband die in his PS.

I am sure there would be many, many small things like this that we are not even aware of that could all be effected by this. Even if anet were to catch them all before any kind of release of such a new feature I am sure the work would be immense for them.

Since when did this business of being a hero become being a business?

(edited by Paulytnz.7619)

Posted by: BrotherBelial.3094

BrotherBelial.3094

I’ll just repost what I said in this thread and every other since the first time this was answered by ANet.

They can not do it dew to they way the game was coded. They looked at this about the same time they looked at making the PS replayable. They found that it would cause massive problems from the game crashing, to not being able to proceed with the personal story dew to an array of bugs. In short even if they could get it to work, the bug fixing that would need to be undertaken afterwards would make the whole thing not financially viable. That is the core thing.
But people seem to think coding is just pushing a button and its done. It’s ANets game and there code, they will always know it better than us. If they say no it can’t be done, then it can’t deal with it and move on.

i5 4690K @ 3.5Mhz|8GB HyperX Savage 1600mHz|MSI H81M-E34|MSI GTX 960 Gaming 2GB|
|Seasonic S12G 650W|Win10 Pro X64| Corsair Spec 03 Case|

Posted by: BlakThornArrow.2389

BlakThornArrow.2389

Heres a simple solution for you OP, and its sooo simple, and costs you nothing at all, than just only 5 minutes of your time, that it is most “probably” kept so top secret, that people have to keep asking for things like this here ….

At least a much quicker solution, than to ask for four years to get presentated by Anet a lazy gemstore solution on the silver platter that would cost them tons of ressources and is mostly technically impossible to do, only bcause there are some people which were to incompetent to make up at character creation for 5 minutes some thoughts about it, if they even like what they have created there…. instead of playing what they created there for up to four years and then ask for race changes when they suddenly don’t like their characters anymore the way how they have them created…

Don’t you think too???

Hail Mortal, What are these proofs you are speaking of? (I imagined a viking voice no idea why though)

White Lions Claw , dungeon, Living Story ,
Personal Story, WvsW , Guild Missions, Living Story and so much more.
(We have Teamspeak and a forum ) join us!

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

@BlakThornArrow.2389

Presumably he’s taking about Proofs of Heroics which you can use to buy Hero points. (Requires a fair amount of playing in WvW though to get enough for the 250 Hero points needed to get your Elite spec. It’s not something you can buy. I know I certainly don’t have that many)..

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Heroics_Notary

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Charrbeque.8729

Charrbeque.8729

The amount of work it would take to allow for this would not be able to be earned back.

This is due to the personal story. The Level 1-80 part of it. The choices one makes in that story, including the parts in character creation that are racial specific, are coded to be unchangeable. They’ve mentioned that they’ve tried to make the story replayable, but that just ends up with more glitches. Including not being able to progress in the story any farther.

Even the devs moving story chapters around has caused problems for players who were on those affected chapters to some degree.

And then even if you could handle the story problems, then you get to racial armor that’s for the old race and is soulbound to the character that is no longer the proper race. And switching to the new racial armor is problematic due to the achievements.

Well………it wasn’t entirely true back then. The very final part of the personal story – Arah dungeon story mode – use to actually be replayable, but it required you to have a full party of players to step on switches to open at least 1 door. Quite a while ago they changed it so you can only complete it once but tweaked things so you could actually complete it solo if you wanted to. (Note: the Arah dungeon paths are still replayable. Only the story mode was changed to a one time only deal)

If I remember right, they changed the Arah dungeon story mode around the same time they rearranged some of the story steps in the last chapter or 2. And you’re right. I do remember that players who were on specific story steps when things were changed wound up not being able to progress their personal story anymore and the devs had to find a way to fix it.

It is a possibility they could some day allow us to change our character’s race, but it would probably require them to rebuild the personal story from the ground up to make that possible. It really depends on whether or not it’s worth such an investment of time and resources.

And it really isn’t worth their time to completely rebuild old content, like living story season 1 for example, unless it was so plagued with bugs that nothing worked. But, they can build new content with player’s feedback in mind. Such as living story season 2 and everything after it being replayable and permanent content.

There’s something charming about rangers.

Posted by: Lipzipper.3160

Lipzipper.3160

Easy solution would be to offer level 80 boosts for the cost of gems and a level 80 character. You lose the character and get a level 80 boost in the in-game mail.

I mean, legendary and ascended items are account-bound anyway. Not to mention how accessible exotic gear is. You would only really lose story progress, which is worth it if you’re desperate enough.

Ima zip I’ma Lip, a Lip zippy dip.

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Easy solution would be to offer level 80 boosts for the cost of gems and a level 80 character. You lose the character and get a level 80 boost in the in-game mail.

I mean, legendary and ascended items are account-bound anyway. Not to mention how accessible exotic gear is. You would only really lose story progress, which is worth it if you’re desperate enough.

And Map completion, and anything else character-centric/bound. There could be a fair amount of content that would have to be repeated.

Posted by: TheQuickFox.3826

TheQuickFox.3826

I’m all for it. This could be a saviour for users who regret their choice of their main. And a nice chance for ANet to sell some gems.

For me personally: No, I won’t use it. I’ll stay with Human, I’m quite comfortable with that.

Ascalon will prevail!

GW Wiki user page  |  GW2 Wiki user page