Race Changer Cons. - Possible or not?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Ceaszar.4532

Ceaszar.4532

I’m just wondering if this kind of consumable in the Gem Store will actually be available (even for a limited time) since its not that kind of a big deal changing your race (Or is it?)

Watermelonitra/Akuma
Proud member of The Avant Garde [TAG]
Darkhaven

Posted by: Xenon.4537

Xenon.4537

It is a big deal to change your race. Anet would have to develop a complex system to convert your personal story, or reset it. It’s possible, but unlikely. Anet has to weigh the cost/benefit of producing such a service.

Posted by: Azrael.4960

Azrael.4960

Consider how it would affect your character’s personal setup. If you’ve made progress on your personal story for a particular race, then what happens if you change your race suddenly? How is that retconned? This is especially relevant when you’ve made progress in race specific quests

Posted by: Shin Phoenix.9243

Shin Phoenix.9243

Consider how it would affect your character’s personal setup. If you’ve made progress on your personal story for a particular race, then what happens if you change your race suddenly? How is that retconned? This is especially relevant when you’ve made progress in race specific quests

I think it wouldn’t break anything as long as it was unable to be used until after the so called “Order Arc” has been started.

In terms of racial allegiance I’m pretty sure it wouldn’t break anything either. I have a good reason to suspect this; My Asura has Skritt allegiance!

This was achieved (completely by accident) by teaming up with my wife’s Sylvari character for her personal story at the point were this was chosen. I then choose to accept her outcome.

Point being, this didn’t break anything.

Shin

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

I’m just wondering if this kind of consumable in the Gem Store will actually be available (even for a limited time) since its not that kind of a big deal changing your race (Or is it?)

According to Anet it is a big deal, and they have mentioned several times already that they aren’t too fond of this idea.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

Posted by: MithranArkanere.8957

MithranArkanere.8957

Well, before the Journal, I would say no, because he choies you picked were along the character.

If they update the Journal to work for the personal story too, they can make rewards separate, so you can replay the story without getting the rewards twice for the chapters you completed, then I would no longer be against the idea. You’ll be basically resetting your Journal without resetting the rewards. You’ll get the exp and karma for the quest, but if you already got a BL key and a piece of gear, you won’t get them again. For that you would still need another character.

SUGGEST-A-TRON says:
PAY—ONCE—UNLOCKS—ARE—ALWAYS—BETTER.
No exceptions!

Posted by: Azrael.4960

Azrael.4960

The problem comes with resolving the quest directions. Even at the basic level.
Consider this:
I start an Asura and begin the quest of working out the problems that caused the golems to run amok but decide to switch norn. How is the game supposed to resolve that you are now a Norn who was supposed to have defeated Isormir, when you haven’t, but have developed golems, when you couldn’t have?
Or
You start off as a human and have fended off the bandits and killed the minister in trial by combat but decide to change to a charr who has to go through the motions of aiding Rytlock?

The personal storyline resolutions would result in a series of retcons but this becomes chaos once you start choosing certain quests.

Posted by: Lilith Ajit.6173

Lilith Ajit.6173

How about just a tonic or something similar that makes it look like you’re a different race (the armor you’re wearing would show as the armor would normally on that race, but cultural armors wouldn’t be equippable, or something like that). A mesmer illusion of sorts… except permanent. Or something.

[ARES]
And all who stood by and did nothing, who are they to criticize the sacrifices of others?
Our blood has bought their lives.

Posted by: skullmount.1758

skullmount.1758

It is a big deal to change your race. Anet would have to develop a complex system to convert your personal story, or reset it. It’s possible, but unlikely. Anet has to weigh the cost/benefit of producing such a service.

Kitten, I’d be willing to have my ps reset (and even as far as no rewards for doing the ps steps again) just to be able to change my race.
I really want to change my human warrior to Charr (I want that heavy armor…), but can’t delete him now since he’s my maxed armor/weaponsmith. And I don’t really want a third warrior just to be able to have that armor…

According to Anet it is a big deal, and they have mentioned several times already that they aren’t too fond of this idea.

This is true.
BUT they also said that about some other stuff (account Wxp levels for one iirc), so if they get enough pressure/request, just maybe they’ll finally give in.

Darkhaven server
Please give us a keyring…

(edited by skullmount.1758)