Race Wars in season 3? [Spoilers]

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: pdavis.8031

pdavis.8031

Now that the cat is out of the bag, and it’s been confirmed in-game that Sylvari are dragon minions, I’ve noticed (lighthearted) talk about kicking Sylvari in guilds and parties. But even these jests have caused me to think. From the trailer we see the other races hunting down Sylvari. How is this going to effect the players? I know it will be a huge problem for RPers and the like, but what about those who just wanted to play Sylvari? I can see any Sylvari player, RP aside, actually becoming a focal point for harassment. Sure it will mostly be in jest, but there are trolls who will take advantage just to be jerks.

Also, what about Sylvari NPCs? Are they all going to be recalled back to the Grove for their protection? Whats going to happen to the Pact? Will the Grove become off limits for non-Sylvari characters? and the other cities off limits to Sylvari? Will the merchant NPS react differently to Sylvari players?

I do think that such a huge racial upset might actually be the catalyst for introducing factions and alliances. No this won’t be a reason for open world PvP, such a thing would be terrible for this game, especially now. If you’ve identified some players of a certain race to actually be the bad guys, then introduce open world PvP, it WILL be seen as actively endorsing and supporting real world racism. Encouraging killing other players simply based off their race, and nothing more. Which would be a super taboo subject to make part of actual game play. There was an outrage about one of the Resident Evil games, where you are killing African zombies which were portrayed as black people. It’s one thing to talk about it in game, but another to make the game play based on that. Plus, it would really suck to be a new player Sylvari and get hunted down and killed everytime you set foot outside of the Grove.

So what are your thoughts? How will this play out in terms of story and game play as a Sylvari character?

Edit: Removed the harassment statement. Trolls will be trolls and should be blocked and reported as such. Even so, in the light of this new information, it is going to have an effect on Sylvari PCs and NPCs.

“You know what the chain of command is?
It’s the chain I beat you with until you
recognize my command!”

(edited by pdavis.8031)

Posted by: Andred.1087

Andred.1087

I doubt ANet has such radical intentions with this. I also doubt that enough people care about it to make this a big deal anyway.

“You’ll PAY to know what you really think.” ~ J. R. “Bob” Dobbs

Posted by: Azhure.1857

Azhure.1857

… but there are trolls who will take advantage just to be jerks.

Block and/or report them based on the level of harassment. The same as its always been.

Isle of Janthir Megaserver

pdavis.8031

Whether or not their intentions are radical, it’s still going to effect Sylvari players and NPCs alike. They can’t just continue on with Sylvari as normal if the next patch is about “dealing” with the Sylvari as dragon minions. The trailer shows that the Sylvari are going to become the focus, and not in a good way, of the next LS patch. We see at least the Charr hunting them down and the others doing the same thing.

recognize my command!”

pdavis.8031

… but there are trolls who will take advantage just to be jerks.

Block and/or report them based on the level of harassment. The same as its always been.

True, and I know you can’t make it perfect so that no one will ever be harassed. But will this story line incite more then usual? And is it something that Anet has taken into consideration?

recognize my command!”

Posted by: torukmakto.3412

torukmakto.3412

my main and first lvl 80 is an Sylvari.. so I can say this honestly…

Like I didn’t have enough problems being a Ranger, you gotta make my race the Dragon Minion.. really Anet… just really…

lol joking side, I doubt this would effect anyone over the age of 10. Trolls will be trolls, and I don’t think they need reason like this just to hate.

other than Block and Report, My advice, transmute your Armor into the Racial armor Skin, dye it Mordrem colors, buy the red glowing Eyes and Roll with it.

(edited by torukmakto.3412)

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

I don’t see this being any worse than Kurzick / Luxon crap from GW1 to be honest. Or Alliance / Horde crap from WoW. Some people are just kittens in that respect.

Regarding the story line; however, should make for some potentially fun twists.

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

Posted by: Azhure.1857

Azhure.1857

other than Block and Report, My advice, transmute your Armor to kitten armor Skin, dye it Mordrem colors, buy the red glowing Eyes and Roll with it.

You know its funny — I was actually considering something like this. Sylvari have always been my least favorite race but I now find myself with a sudden desire to create one. Something like what you suggested and the new BL weapon skins too? I’m about to sign up for some of that. EMBRACE IT.

As for the “Race Wars 2” — All the races have a dark side. The sylvari just have theirs in the current spot light. * shrugs *

Isle of Janthir Megaserver

Posted by: torukmakto.3412

torukmakto.3412

[/quote]

You know its funny — I was actually considering something like this. Sylvari have always been my least favorite race but I now find myself with a sudden desire to create one. Something like what you suggested and the new BL weapon skins too? I’m about to sign up for some of that. EMBRACE IT.

As for the “Race Wars 2” — All the races have a dark side. The sylvari just have theirs in the current spot light. * shrugs * [/quote]

I mention this cause that’s what I’m doing lol. dye pattern matches the new BL weapons. don’t have the Red Glowing eyes, used the Blue Glowing eyes. matches better with the weapons Glow anyways.

as for Race Wars .. other than Living Story drama, I don’t expect much hate as a Sylvari, I mean, Charrs were the “evil race” in the first GW.

pdavis.8031

OOOOO Heres a thought. Some people, not in this thread, have mentioned using this for open world PvP. While that won’t work, what about a special instance thats WvW-like? For example, the Grove is under seige by those bent on destroying the Sylvari. So you basically turn the Grove into a WvW map, or in a similar style of Silverwastes but PvP? You can choose which side you want (attack or defend) and have at it? Matches last say 30 minutes or so, then have a cool down.

recognize my command!”

Posted by: ZudetGambeous.9573

ZudetGambeous.9573

I tried being nice.. but the hate of the other races as driven me to the dark side… my character has become a servant of Mordy now…

Attachments:

Posted by: Scoobaniec.9561

Scoobaniec.9561

I tried being nice.. but the hate of the other races as driven me to the dark side… my character has become a servant of Mordy now…

You missing red eyes.