Racial Specializations

Racial Specializations

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Thornwolf.9721

Thornwolf.9721

There should be due to the fact that each race has their own special thing which could add into their play-style. For charr the obvious two choices would be Tribune, and we have seen our PC getting that rank for a while now. If rytlock can have it and go gallivanting around the world, we should be able to as well? And make it add a special thing for us, similar to a paragon where we shout commands and buffs to help our allies and basically become somewhat of a tanky/support pc depending on the class you play on your charr.
Humans would be a diffcult one but i think that for the simplist terms it should “Champion”. The champion being a heavy handed dps/Sustain depending on the class of your choice, having it fit well into the lore as you are the champion of divinitys reach in a sense.

Sylvary should get Valiant of the Wyld Hunt, a rank we already have and the training going along with it could be a condi/raw dps depending on what your running to boost your pc in areas your either weak in or strong in already.
I have no idea about the asurans, dont have one and never played one. I have no idea how their ranking works or what they could use for their specialization, but im sure someone has an idea.

Norn are able to have two and both i feel would be kittening awesome. The first would be to become a Havroun and gain MASSIVE power and get to be one of the strongest of the norn, giving us the ability to be both Tanky/Cc orientated with tons of just aoe devastation. The second is a shape shifter or Lycanthrope of a werebeast, probably of our choice with the various beasts of the world being of that choice. (( wyvern form, warg form ect ect)) following into their lore, but expanding on it through rituals needed to become one with a spirit of the wild. Perhaps us becoming one with our respective spirit would be it as well, where we become their physical embodiment thus leading into the fight with jormag.

I feel the Orders should have specializations to do with the highest rank you can achieve, but i mean its a bit much to ask for at this time. But doing the racial ones would tie well into the choices we made at the beginning of the game. Our pc’s going on a quest to get stronger to prep for the next massive battle.

Racial Specializations

Posted by: Tiny Tove.3589

Tiny Tove.3589

Should males and females have different roles, strengths and weaknesses?
(Checked my privilege…. it’s working fine.)

Racial Specializations

Posted by: Fjaeldmark.9043

Fjaeldmark.9043

I remember reading that Anet originally had racial traits planned but scrapped them because they didn’t want certain races to be better at certain professions than others. I don’t see how it would be different now.

Racial Specializations

Posted by: The Greyhawk.9107

The Greyhawk.9107

There should be due to the fact that each race has their own special thing which could add into their play-style. For charr the obvious two choices would be Tribune, and we have seen our PC getting that rank for a while now. If rytlock can have it and go gallivanting around the world, we should be able to as well? And make it add a special thing for us, similar to a paragon where we shout commands and buffs to help our allies and basically become somewhat of a tanky/support pc depending on the class you play on your charr.
Humans would be a diffcult one but i think that for the simplist terms it should “Champion”. The champion being a heavy handed dps/Sustain depending on the class of your choice, having it fit well into the lore as you are the champion of divinitys reach in a sense.

Sylvary should get Valiant of the Wyld Hunt, a rank we already have and the training going along with it could be a condi/raw dps depending on what your running to boost your pc in areas your either weak in or strong in already.
I have no idea about the asurans, dont have one and never played one. I have no idea how their ranking works or what they could use for their specialization, but im sure someone has an idea.

Norn are able to have two and both i feel would be kittening awesome. The first would be to become a Havroun and gain MASSIVE power and get to be one of the strongest of the norn, giving us the ability to be both Tanky/Cc orientated with tons of just aoe devastation. The second is a shape shifter or Lycanthrope of a werebeast, probably of our choice with the various beasts of the world being of that choice. (( wyvern form, warg form ect ect)) following into their lore, but expanding on it through rituals needed to become one with a spirit of the wild. Perhaps us becoming one with our respective spirit would be it as well, where we become their physical embodiment thus leading into the fight with jormag.

I feel the Orders should have specializations to do with the highest rank you can achieve, but i mean its a bit much to ask for at this time. But doing the racial ones would tie well into the choices we made at the beginning of the game. Our pc’s going on a quest to get stronger to prep for the next massive battle.

No.

Hate is Fuel.

Racial Specializations

Posted by: Kal Spiro.9745

Kal Spiro.9745

So you’re looking for five elites that mesh flawlessly with all 9 classes, rather than one elite each designed specifically for it’s associated class?

Tarnished Coast Kal Spiro – Ranger (80), LB/S-D, Eagle/Wolf, Signet, M/S/WS #SABorRiot
|Daredevil|Ranger|Guardian|Scrapper|Necromancer|Berserker|Dragonhunter|Mesmer|Elementalist
|Deadeye|Warrior|Herald|Daredevil|Reaper|Spellbreaker

Racial Specializations

Posted by: BellatorDeus.2310

BellatorDeus.2310

Well…it would be possible to provide a single unique race (species) specific feature per race. For example, a slightly built race might have mitigated falling damage (while 2 objects of the same mass fall at equal speeds through vacuum, this is not true when two objects of the same mass but different surface areas are falling through atmosphere). A physically large race might have a mitigated (say 10%) built in resistance to chilling. Etcetera. This would it is true provide more “realism”. However…once you realize that if the goal is not to provide a real game advantage due to these species differences, then the value of doing so is low?

Racial Specializations

Posted by: Moira Shalaar.5620

Moira Shalaar.5620

I posted a similar request a while back and received similar responses. I like the idea of races having a larger role in play style and for racial skills to be something other than the afterthought they currently seem to be right now.

Yet I also recognize the concern that certain race/profession combinations might seem to work better than others. By positing racial specializations, that also means that in addition to the skills, the trait line would have to be similarly generic to work across all 9 professions in a balanced fashion.

I am not saying it cannot be done and I really like the concept, but I suspect the logistics of it will keep it from ever actually happening.

mid-2011 iMac; OSX 10.9.5; 3.4 GHz Core i7;
16GB RAM; AMD Radeon 6970M 2GB VRAM

Racial Specializations

Thornwolf.9721

Its simply that people in guild wars cant handle anything to do with emersion or even the concept of an rpg. Those of us who want this are just going to have to go elsewhere to obtain it, which is fine i suppose. There are plenty of other games out there that can do this, its just sad that a norn and a human have nothing to distinguish them outside of size and tattoos. I really would enjoy racial specializations, those of you who would not are simply ignorant to what it could bring. You could make one for each class, which means for each race the class’s would be totally different.

Example:
Human Warrior Specialization: Paladin. <== Follows the old teachings of the paragons.

Norn Warrior specialization: Reaver <==== follows the path of the wild, rending foes with devastating attacks.

Charr Warrior specialization: Legionnaire<==== Focusing more on a one vs one skirmish these warriors are trained to fight quick footed targets, with tons of gap closers.

Sylvary warrior Specialization: Dryad<== Focusing more on a condition/root based form of combat, summon the power of nature to hold your foes and stem the tide as you cleave through them.

Asura warrior specialization: Mech-suite<==== having designed your own gollem you now wear it as a protective suite of armor, with this you can now fill any role you choose with more speed to rush forward at your disposal.

These follow the lore of the races while also holding to what guild wars is known for, which is a fair play experience for everyone. No one is stronger than the other, while also having mechanics based around their lore/race. This means in order to play them you need to know their role rather than just following a simple, and rather boring meta. This would mean for example a Reaver and a Paladin could go head to head and still compete with one another, but the two would have limitations on what they could counter-act. Considering the holy trinity has entered back into the franchise via druid and herald we have a revamped version with tank,heals and dps. Expanding on that and giving it a guild wars flair while also offering more than just the casual dps class, would attract more people.

Racial Specializations

Posted by: Redfeather.6401

Redfeather.6401

I wouldn’t mind new skills and a trait option tied to joining a racial faction, not necessarily being born within one.

Basically I want to see my asura tempest summon a wereworf.
Yeah, that’s right wereworf. I’m sticking to that. So there.

Racial Specializations

Thornwolf.9721

I hear you. The Vigil, priory and order of whispers should have their own specializations as well because they are important and we should allow them to feel important.

Racial Specializations

Posted by: Pandaman.4758

Pandaman.4758

ANet didn’t give races any inherent bonus and their racial elite skills near-useless because they didn’t want races to be optimized toward certain professions (which I honestly think is silly, Norns and Charr warriors should punt Asura warriors around like a little, calculating football), so it’s pretty safe to say the idea of a racial elite spec is completely out of the question.

And even if it did exist, it would be underpowered to the point of pointlessness, much like the racial elite skills.

I can see Order elite specs though, but it’ll like be on the same magnitude as HoT specs (meaning there will be 9 different specializations for each Order, each tailored for each profession), whether it all comes in a single expansion or each comes with its own expansion (or $20 gem store pack) remains to be seen.

Racial Specializations

Thornwolf.9721

Hopefully they will do the races justice or remove our personal story , shorten the story-line to where we become the member of the orders (( so we don’t feel different than anyone else<3)) and allow us to have a race change token.

Racial Specializations

Posted by: telliani.5902

telliani.5902

Ugh.

Final Fantasy XI had this and people wouldn’t invite certain race/job combos into their party because – the big ones (like char), had limited magic pools. So you didn’t want them as a healer, but people wanted to be a healer on that race. All their gear choices was to give them more magic, just to play catch up with humans or the taru (the ones with the most magic).

The tiny people, had less health, so if you wanted to be a small race AND a tank? No one wanted you, but if you were a black mage, then it was GREAT because your intelligence was the strongest out of all the races.

And humans were just run of the mill average.

Geigi (Queen of the Dredge) – Mesmer
[HOPE] – Hope Remains, Crystal Desert

(edited by telliani.5902)

Racial Specializations

Posted by: Cadmius.5421

Cadmius.5421

The whole problem with this game is that it is so doggone balanced. Any race, any profession, any sex? What a concept!

Normalized pvp and wvw so that skill prevails rather than gear? What is this world coming to?

short answer: no thanks

Racial Specializations

Posted by: Pandaman.4758

Pandaman.4758

Ugh.

Final Fantasy XI had this and people wouldn’t invite certain race/job combos into their party because – the big ones (like char), had limited magic pools. So you didn’t want them as a healer, but people wanted to be a healer on that race.

The tiny people, had less health, so if you wanted to be a small race AND a tank? No one wanted you, but if you were a black mage, then it was GREAT because your intelligence was the strongest out of all the races.

And humans were just run of the mill average.

I think it’s reasonable that a Galka had more Strength and HP than a Tarutaru, but I think a Tarutaru should have had a bonus to evade and hit due to their size (when you’re that small, hitting anything would be like swinging at the broad side of a barn). It should be possible to provide different racial bonuses and penalties while maintaining a balance that mitigates race/class pigeonholing.

Granted that would have been difficult with GW2, since active defense plays a larger role.

Racial Specializations

Posted by: Zelanard.5806

Zelanard.5806

I wrote quite a bit about racial skills/traits back in the day and I used to be a huge supporter of it.
By now I would much rather they add entire racial classes than this.

When commenting on a suggestion:
Leave it to A-net to decide whether the suggestion is possible or not.

Racial Specializations

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

Its simply that people in guild wars cant handle anything to do with emersion or even the concept of an rpg.

On the contrary, there is nothing stopping anyone from role-playing in this game, except if they let their own preconceptions get in the way. To “immerse” yourself in Tyria means accepting that races have the same aptitude for each profession and minor special powers. Strong racial differences can be an exciting part of gaming, but it’s not essential.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Racial Specializations

Posted by: Snow.2048

Snow.2048

They just spent so much time and money deleting character development choices that they spent so much time and money making. Do you really think they will spend time and money to make more character development choices?

(I love racial choices, but I have accepted this an easy going game where everyone is equal in theory)

Racial Specializations

Posted by: Samnang.1879

Samnang.1879

Sometimes I wonder why certain skills are created… like Avatar of Melandru for example… nobody ever uses them… just delete it

Please nerf bag types instead of class skills!

Racial Specializations

Posted by: PopeUrban.2578

PopeUrban.2578

Races are supposed to be largely cosmetic in GW2.

The only way such a thing would work (especially this long after release, with people attached to 3 year old characters) is if there were mastry tracks or other methods to acquire these specializations on any race.

The only reason racial skills exist is to give people more utility choices in early levels. They’re intentionally designed to be weaker than class skills so that you replace them, and so that you don’t compelled to choose races for any reason other than personal preference.

Additionally, the entire reason elite specs were designed the way they were was to make it simpler to balance as new specs are added.

They can’t balance the traits we already have effectively. Asking them to balance traits that can be attached to any class is the exact reverse of why they turned the trait system in to the specialization system in the first place.

Guild Master – The Papacy [POPE] (Gate of Madness)/Road Scholar for the Durmand Priory
Writer/Director – Quaggan Quest
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ky2TGPmMPeQ

Racial Specializations

Posted by: alain.1659

alain.1659

I always hope for something like graphic change. For example norn engi would use totems, and sylvari would use seed turrets/little plants. This kind of difference between races would be perfect. Imagine a charr ranger using a crossbow, or sylvari ele using earth 4 as a wall of plants. That would be really cool.

Racial Specializations

Thornwolf.9721

Honestly reading this is why i realize they should of just made it human only like they did in guild wars one. It would make it easier, and we would not have to worry about the fact that a norn is only as strong as a human. And a charr can be punted around by an asuran like its nothing, no racial bonus? You could of made it small, like for example one just runs maybe 5% faster while the other is capable of eventually getting another dodge roll bar or something.

The eliets for the races should be as strong as the regular skills, thats a bullkitten excuse for lazy people who dont want to take the kittening time to make it make sense. kitten your logic. Skill? What skill. Your all playing dps classes made to be just as strong as one another, who ever runs zerker wins right? right. The armor choices on anything but a human or a sylvary look so under-whelmingly dumb and all you get to show for it is one is a cat monster, and the other is an oversized human who gets tattoos. Tattoos are all that separate the human and the norn outside of their size? When i heard i could play as a norn, i thought id be able to take my animal shape and fight in in permanently like in guild wars one with it giving me bonus’s for said class. Raven for ranged, wolf or leopard for dps with leopard being meant more for stealth and bear of course being the tanky one. But no, instead the aspect of being a lycanthrope or having anything to do with it (( which is hardly ever touched on in games period)) is over looked. So take out the whole begining to our personal story, take out the options of which animal we follow or what order and just make us get to 20 and join and order. Remove anything to make it possible for race change tokens, because if tera who does have racial bennefits can do it then you can kittening do it.

F.Y.I just because gear means next to nothing does not make it skill based, there are classes that are inherently better than the others. Warriors have been kitten on for a long time, by everything. So please dont begin to tell me its entirely skill based, you could be the best player in the world but on a warrior a DD or a DH or a herald automatically has the advantage over you.

And besides that your missing the point, i said racial SPECIALIZATIONS. Meaning that specialization is for that RACE only and you have to use that race to get it. It is an over-arcing spec for the entire race? So yes that means if you wana be a lycanthrope or shape shifter you have to be a norn, if you wana be a tribune you have to be a charr. But that does not give them lead way over the other races when they are getting one of their own? It just means that now people can choose to be different than the run of the mill, dont fix the racial eliets just add new ones. The eliet specs for the races should be based off the choices you have chosen, meaning everyone gets something a bit different based on the choices they made leading to it. For example, if you chose bear for norn you become a werebear. If you chose unknown parents you become part of the order they were apart of with traits to follow accordingly. Stuff like that.

(edited by Thornwolf.9721)

Racial Specializations

PopeUrban.2578

Warriors have been kitten on for a long time, by everything.

That’s hilarious.

Warriors have always been a meta class until recently, and they’re still a meta class in PvE. They have not been kitten on for a long time. Take a look at necros, who sucked literally all the way until HoT, or thieves, who haven’t been even worth playing since the trait revamp… or rangers who sucked at launch and continued to suck until… well unless you count druid they’re still not in a good place.

Warriors got left out of the pvp meta for one patch cycle. That’s not “kitten on for a long time”. That’s just arenanet’s normal poor balance actually effecting warriors the way they have been affecting other classes since launch.

Guild Master – The Papacy [POPE] (Gate of Madness)/Road Scholar for the Durmand Priory

Racial Specializations

Thornwolf.9721

That’s hilarious.

Warriors have always been a meta class until recently, and they’re still a meta class in PvE. They have not been kitten on for a long time. Take a look at necros, who sucked literally all the way until HoT, or thieves, who haven’t been even worth playing since the trait revamp… or rangers who sucked at launch and continued to suck until… well unless you count druid they’re still not in a good place.

Warriors got left out of the pvp meta for one patch cycle. That’s not “kitten on for a long time”. That’s just arenanet’s normal poor balance actually effecting warriors the way they have been affecting other classes since launch.

Your kittening kidding me right? Are you stupid. Literally the ranger has had the advantage over a warrior for so kittening long, gurads with their burn builds. And kittening Necromancers if built right could just condition damage you down because they took out all of our condition removal. Take your warrior hate out of here for kitten sake and look at the bigger picture, your so kittening up on this “Oh its about time the warriors suck”. You wana know why we did not completely suck before? Because we are for one simplistic, and for two we have only one method of doing decent damage. Melee. Ranged has sucked forever and day now on the warrior, so in reality you commented on post about the benefit of racial specs for all classes under a specific races with warrior hate.

Racial Specializations

PopeUrban.2578

That’s hilarious.

Your kittening kidding me right? Are you stupid. Literally the ranger has had the advantage over a warrior for so kittening long, gurads with their burn builds. And kittening Necromancers if built right could just condition damage you down because they took out all of our condition removal. Take your warrior hate out of here for kitten sake and look at the bigger picture, your so kittening up on this “Oh its about time the warriors suck”. You wana know why we did not completely suck before? Because we are for one simplistic, and for two we have only one method of doing decent damage. Melee. Ranged has sucked forever and day now on the warrior, so in reality you commented on post about the benefit of racial specs for all classes under a specific races with warrior hate.

Calm down buddy. There’s no warrior hate here, just attempting to be realistic. The fact is that warriors have been in a good spot for the majority of the life time of the game. In fact, the stuff you’re talking about is all within the most recent year.

Warrior is in a bad place for PvP right now, like a lot of classes, but this thread isn’t about PvP, and in PvE, warrior is still one of the most desired classes in any party composition, and in the current raid meta is the most desired class.

I don’t hate warriors, but your assertion that warriors are “kittened on for a long time” is observably false. Warrior have it no worse than a multitude of other classes, and in terms of PvE are actually perfectly viable in general, and better DPS than any other option in raids.

Racial Specializations

Thornwolf.9721

I dont know when people say in the most recent year i cant help but remember how a messmer would just pwn the crap out of all the warriors in our matches. Or how a guard would just run circles around us with burning, i remember alot of the other classes our manuvering us. They are not bad at least not pre-HoT while retaining their "Im the best pve " damage dealer, they lost any sort of viable nature in pvp.

Im just used to alot of warrior hate on the forums and even in game, where people are like “Yes now your useless” which is a shame. Personally the warrior could make for a perfect candidate for the monk, i wrote a topic about it on the warrior thread. If a ritualist could become a revenant through a warrior implementing their abilities into combat then why cant a monk be a hand to hand fighter in the new world of guild wars 2 ya know?