Racial abilities

Racial abilities

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Syclantus.4621

Syclantus.4621

Which races have nice abilities for a warrior or thief’?

Racial abilities

Posted by: cmud.5689

cmud.5689

All racial abillities in this game are irrelevant and do not serve a vital purpose. In fact, Anet specifically made them weaker in comparison to the normal skills so they do not shoe-in people playing a specific race / profession combo. But if you want to know….my charr warrior used "call warband support’’ 1x in the game in order to take away aggro from a contested waypoint in Orr.

banished from time and space

Racial abilities

Posted by: Sundar.1735

Sundar.1735

The Charr utility skill “Battle Roar” is just a weaker version of the warrior’s “For Great Justice” so it has good synergy with that skill. A charr warrior running both these skills would be able to increase their and their team’s dps significantly more compared to warriors of other races. Even if you are not a warrior you can still use the skill when the warrior in your team uses his shout so that way your team has both buffs on.

Apart from that one skill, I can’t think of any racial abilities that synergize particularly well with any particular profession. Norns have a couple of summoning spells as utility skills but since Necromancers and Engineers(the summoning professions) have summons of their own as utility skills, it is sadly not possible to have all summons out at the same time. You will have to replace one of your profession-specific summons with a racial one.

(edited by Sundar.1735)

Racial abilities

Posted by: WereScrib.7154

WereScrib.7154

All racial abillities in this game are irrelevant and do not serve a vital purpose. In fact, Anet specifically made them weaker in comparison to the normal skills so they do not shoe-in people playing a specific race / profession combo. But if you want to know….my charr warrior used "call warband support’’ 1x in the game in order to take away aggro from a contested waypoint in Orr.

People say this, but then they haven’t seen Norn racial elites with haste leap 5k units while invisible.

Some of the racial elites are just stupidly good. The sylvari entangle is a very reliable snare that has considerable power in the right situation, and Avatar of Grenth and Melandru both see some WvW use.

As far as thief goes, Warband support is slightly superior to Thieves guild in my opinion, but has a longer cooldown. The power lies in the NPCs summoned sometimes spamming Battle Roar while in combat. I’ve had them get 10 stacks of might on me alone before. Battle Roar isn’t bad, but that’s because the warrior shout is pretty decent. Shrapnel mine isn’t bad either, but generally Caltrops are better. (If you just get one or two caltrop stacks off, a shrapnel mine is superior, but Caltrops have the advantage of duration for stationary foes)

Honestly though, Thief is one of the harder ones to say a race has an advantage for. I would say Sylvari, because Grasping Vines is seriously powerful and gives thieves a very reliable snare. At least if you like roaming in WvW. However Become the Snow Leopard is pretty amazing on just about anyone for its stupid utility.

Racial abilities

Posted by: cmud.5689

cmud.5689

People say this, but then they haven’t seen Norn racial elites with haste leap 5k units while invisible.

Some of the racial elites are just stupidly good. The sylvari entangle is a very reliable snare that has considerable power in the right situation, and Avatar of Grenth and Melandru both see some WvW use.

As far as thief goes, Warband support is slightly superior to Thieves guild in my opinion, but has a longer cooldown. The power lies in the NPCs summoned sometimes spamming Battle Roar while in combat. I’ve had them get 10 stacks of might on me alone before. Battle Roar isn’t bad, but that’s because the warrior shout is pretty decent. Shrapnel mine isn’t bad either, but generally Caltrops are better. (If you just get one or two caltrop stacks off, a shrapnel mine is superior, but Caltrops have the advantage of duration for stationary foes)

Honestly though, Thief is one of the harder ones to say a race has an advantage for. I would say Sylvari, because Grasping Vines is seriously powerful and gives thieves a very reliable snare. At least if you like roaming in WvW. However Become the Snow Leopard is pretty amazing on just about anyone for its stupid utility.

I dont know…. Using the leopard on Norn, what would be the purpose? I do agree you could use it in order to get from point A to B faster, but that is kind of it. Using the leap, etc. in actual combat would be terrible IMO. Correct me if I am wrong but dont you lose all weapon and utillity skills while in this form? Would you play a 240s cd elite that invalidates the rest of your abillities? I know I wouldnt and I actually never saw someone in PvE, Dungeons, WvW zerg, WvW roam to use it.

banished from time and space