Raids coming to Guild Wars 2?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Aidenwolf.5964

Aidenwolf.5964

After the game’s release in China we were treated to the polarizing NPE or New Player Experience after the new player base decided the game needed changes. The Chinese players reportedly asked for raids as well and with Heart of Thorns on the horizon and Colin using the words “challenging content” repeatedly in the announcement, are raids coming to GW2?

And if so how do you feel about them?

Buy To Play Guild Wars 2 2012-2015 – RIP
Unlucky since launch, RNG isn’t random
PugLife SoloQ

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

Raids in the traditional sense of what people think of raids, probably aren’t coming to Guild Wars 2. That is instanced content for huge numbers of people probably isn’t in the cards…my opinion only.

I think that there will be more raid like content, for guilds in the open world. If you use the word raids and people expect raids, people won’t even give the new content a chance.

Posted by: Aidenwolf.5964

Aidenwolf.5964

Raids in the traditional sense of what people think of raids, probably aren’t coming to Guild Wars 2. That is instanced content for huge numbers of people probably isn’t in the cards…my opinion only.

I think that there will be more raid like content, for guilds in the open world. If you use the word raids and people expect raids, people won’t even give the new content a chance.

Which I believe is why the word raid was not used in the announcement. If they’re inbound they’ll likely be fractals for larger than 5 man groups in my opinion.

Buy To Play Guild Wars 2 2012-2015 – RIP
Unlucky since launch, RNG isn’t random
PugLife SoloQ

Posted by: Iason Evan.3806

Iason Evan.3806

The guild raiding CDI was cool and then people started being jerks to each other.

The one thing I am really looking forward to in HoT is if ArenaNet is cooking up any content for people to do together with a group and no one else. For example, my friends and I were extremely disappointed when we couldn’t do that Wintersday tower defense type instance together.

Sometimes you want to get together with a hand picked group, get on voice comms and have a great time with good friends. The open world stuff is great, but not always.

Leader of The Guernsey Milking Coalition [MiLk] Sanctum of Rall

Posted by: Moteris.5913

Moteris.5913

I have always thought of Fractals as “Raids Light”. I am on board for large scale frac’s 10-20 man would be great!

Posted by: naiasonod.9265

naiasonod.9265

I’m not interested in classically styled raids at all. They always felt like a chore to me even with good friends to do them with.

One is only the smartest person in the room if they are alone.

Posted by: nexxe.7081

nexxe.7081

Agreed. Anytime the word “raid” is used, people automatically think it’s instanced. Technically, there are raids in GW2. Tequatl, Marionette, Vinewrath, and Wurm being some of them.

naiasonod.9265

Agreed. Anytime the word “raid” is used, people automatically think it’s instanced. Technically, there are raids in GW2. Tequatl, Marionette, Vinewrath, and Wurm being some of them.

If we get more things like Teq, Marionette, VW and Triple Trouble, I’m all for it.

Instanced WoW-like raiding? Bugger off.

Posted by: nexxe.7081

nexxe.7081

If we get more things like Teq, Marionette, VW and Triple Trouble, I’m all for it.

I wouldn’t dismiss instanced raiding entirely. It has it’s positives. Examples would be, organization, community, and challenge. Non-instanced raiding has it’s negatives, as is seen everyday in GW2 with it’s zergs.

Posted by: Galphar.3901

Galphar.3901

The only way I can see Raids in GW2 would be if they brought back FoW/UW/Urgoz/The Deep/DoA. Those were 8-12 man zones that were considered the hardest content in GW and the most raid like.

naiasonod.9265

I wouldn’t dismiss instanced raiding entirely. It has it’s positives. Examples would be, organization, community, and challenge. Non-instanced raiding has it’s negatives, as is seen everyday in GW2 with it’s zergs.

The more organized it has to be, the more demanding of synchronized schedules such things become. Games and game stuff just aren’t important enough to get any real priority when it comes to my schedules. Ergo, things demanding excessive amounts of coordinated scheduling fall right out of my sphere of concerns.

Community? In common reality, it simply means you’re forced into social proximities with XX to YY others. There is no good and useful community about the raid scene in most games, and I’d posit that I find friendlier guilds to do anything/everything with here in GW2 despite the total absence of raids, simply because its a cooperative game rather than yet another compete-for-everything-including-the-kitchen-sink game.

/2cents

Posted by: rapthorne.7345

rapthorne.7345

I’m half expecting the heart of maguma biomes to be like one huge raid

Resident smug Englishman on the NA servers, just because.

(edited by rapthorne.7345)

Posted by: NoTrigger.8396

NoTrigger.8396

I think that there will be more raid like content, for guilds in the open world. I

guilds and open world are 2 things that dont work very well together and chris whiteside specifically mentioned challenging instanced group content in the raid cdi.

[qT] Quantify

Posted by: Purple Miku.7032

Purple Miku.7032

I really hope there will be instanced content for guilds.

If it’s open world it’s impossible to prevent random people joining and making it a big zerg.

You can’t control anything in a free-for-all like that. It’s one of the reasons why world bosses are so boring among a lot of other reasons.

Posted by: Blaeys.3102

Blaeys.3102

I disagree that the open world in GW2 doesnt work well with guilds. Guild missions, silverwastes, temples, drytop, wvw – these are all proof to the contrary and tremendously fun with an organized guild. For larger guilds/communities, add Tequatl and the Triple Worm.

It is my hope that this is where Anet focuses efforts in HOT and, if they choose to do any kind of instanced raids, they dont simply mimic other games.

Raiding, while it can offer a challenge, can also be one of the most toxic and hateful aspects of a game. It is only conducive and good for guilds if every guild is exactly 10 or 25 active players (if that is the raid sizes available). Otherwise, it is a source of tremendous stress, drama and even hate.

That is not what GW2 is about. If they introduce instanced large group content, they need to look closely at how it can be implemented without bringing those drama inducing elements/restrictions into the game.

But again, after seeing what they did in Drytop and Silverwastes, I really hope that is where they plan to focus their efforts. My guild has been loving everything about that content.

(edited by Blaeys.3102)

naiasonod.9265

I disagree that the open world in GW2 doesnt work well with guilds. Guild missions, silverwastes, temples, drytop, wvw – these are all proof to the contrary and tremendously fun with an organized guild. For larger guilds/communities, add Tequatl and the Triple Worm.

It is my hope that this is where Anet focuses efforts in HOT and, if they choose to do any kind of instanced raids, they dont simply mimic other games.

Raiding, while it can offer a challenge, can also be one of the most toxic and hateful aspects of a game. It is only conducive and good for guilds if every guild is exactly 10 or 25 active players (if that is the raid sizes available). Otherwise, it is a source of tremendous stress, drama and even hate.

That is not what GW2 is about. If they introduce instanced large group content, they need to look closely at how it can be implemented without bringing those drama inducing elements/restrictions into the game.

But again, after seeing what they did in Drytop and Silverwastes, I really hope that is where they plan to focus their efforts. My guild has been loving everything about that content.

Ditto for me and mine. Drytop and Silverwastes, Teq, TT, guild challenged – those have all been big wins for me. Instanced raiding never, ever has been though, even when I did have the time to bother trying to keep synch’d with umpty-twelve other peoples’ schedules.

Posted by: Crysto.7089

Crysto.7089

I really hope there will be instanced content for guilds.

If it’s open world it’s impossible to prevent random people joining and making it a big zerg.

You can’t control anything in a free-for-all like that. It’s one of the reasons why world bosses are so boring among a lot of other reasons.

This. The larger the group the less importance of each member and the less fun it is. This is why guild missions and raids in general are just a bad idea unless they find a way to make every player important to the party. This also means blame for if something goes wrong is an integral part of the whole experience which does not mesh well with gw2’s casual friendly atmosphere.

#1 Commander/Player NA: Promotions

Posted by: Aidan Savage.2078

Aidan Savage.2078

Frankly, guilds deserve the ability to create such fights on a limited access instance. Why? Because if they’re a 1k+ guild, and have the potential to have 200+ at any given time, those guilds can appreciate being able to do content and being able to tell pugs to bugger off and not leech off their work if they’re not wanted. Frankly that’s the one thing I miss from the old map system- the ability to use a low population guest server to spawn a completely empty or kitten near empty instance without the chance of randoms being tossed onto it and screwing up the event.

Large guilds need to be treated better than they are right now. Guild chapter merging was a small step in the cross-country run Anet needs to do. Even guild halls are minor love.