Raids highlight the need of a Guild Browser

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Lishtenbird.2814

Lishtenbird.2814

Yes, I know there’s a forum section and there’s a subreddit for recruiting (inb4 “wait, there’s a subreddit for recruiting?!”), but firstly, they should not be outside of the game, and secondly, they feel like such a mess that every time I try to use them I just say “whatever” and close them.

Since ANet insists that raids should not be puggable (and thus does not add an LFG section for it), I believe they should also make it easier for people to find all types of guilds in the game itself (and not only those that bother to spam mapchat with advertisements in popular maps at a certain period of time).

Ideally, I see that as a tab in the Guild panel (an NPC in LA would also be nice) where you can filter all existing guilds (on your EU/NA region) by multiple criteria (exclusively and non-exclusively):

• game mode(s): [] Open-world PvE [] Organised PvE [] Raids [] Fractals [] Dungeons [] sPvP [] WvW [] Guild missions [] communication/roleplaying
  • preferred game experience: [] newcomers [] experienced [] hardcore
  • roster size: [small/medium/large] (or [number range])
  • activity: [low/medium/high] (there should be some algorithm that checks representation, participation, guild chat, guild missions and upgrades etc.)
  • major activity time: [time range] (either based on activity above or manually set)
  • guild hall: [Awesome Precipice/Gilded Hole/none]
  • guild level: [number range]
  • representation requirement: [full/during guild activity/no requirements]
  • server: [dropdown list] (for WvW purposes)
  • voice communication: [available/unavailable]
  • language: [dropdown list]

All these parameters (apart from some objective and automatic ones – like size, level, activity) should be ideally settable by guild leaders; at some point, a Guild Recruitment Board should be unlocked for guilds so that they can input custom recruitment information (website application form, age restrictions etc.).

The guild should also have a mailbox for join requests, as well as an option to opt-out from being listed in the Guild Browser (for small friend-only guilds).

Finally, there’s a monetary incentive: even a part of these features, if implemented, will do a lot to improve the average player engagement and – surprise! – the amount of money he is willing to spend on the game he cares about.

20 level 80s and counting.

Posted by: Sthenith.5196

Sthenith.5196

…ANet insists that raids should not be puggable

1. Anet wanted to “break” with the pure dmg dealing “Meta” and introduced several new armor options and builds.

2. that being said, they kind of force us all, at least those who want to do raids, into a certain “Meta” again, by putting mechanics in place like a short timer.

3. then they say " Oh, but you can’t find raids on the Lfg, it shouldn’t be ‘puggable’ "

4. But, behold, several pug groups have already beaten the vale guardian (or got very very close), one even beat it not using any voice comm at all….

So imo, they should redesign the Lfg tool, so that Everyone , even those in small guilds, have a chance at doing raids.

But the idea of having a guild recruitment tab might sound nice, it isn’t. Just like now you have guilds having certain restrictions and groups (for instances) wanting certain meta’s, you will have players who will exclusively ask for lvl 30+ guilds who do raids 4x/day and are willing to fund their personal setup because “i’m worth it”.

Seriously. You’ll have guilds that will need to “pay” in some form for the so-called ‘elitists’, otherwise they will only get “sub-par” players….

the amount of money he is willing to spend on the game he cares about.

“I’m willing to spend 5000 euro’s every month.”
“Seriously ?”
" I said willing, not able."

Posted by: piza.9310

piza.9310

Yeah…. no thank you. I can only see problems coming from this. Large guilds will have an easier time getting more people in their guild while the smaller guilds will have harder time getting people in their guild.

Let me explain.
If you search for a large raiding guild with a full guild hall = 100+ results.
If you search for a large rading guild without a full guild hall = 1.000+results.
If you search for a small rading guild with a full guild hall = 100+ results.
if you search for a small rading guild without a full guild hall = 10.000+ results.

You see the problem here? Also, about the small guild with full guild hall… those will be rare but they probably have really high requirements to join. Most of the time if you try to join a smaller raiding guild which is actually really good you have to go to their website or something and apply. How do you get to know which website they have? try the name or go to the forums and ask them, the place you wanted to leave remember? The larger guilds have probably lower joining requirements but this in terms leads to less people joining the smaller guilds.

Posted by: piza.9310

piza.9310

Also, activity? What about a really good raiding guild that is only active once a week? They are good, have the skills and want to teach people but the guild seems dead because of the filter.

Posted by: Carighan.6758

Carighan.6758

But… I know some people are much more utilitarian, but shouldn’t your guild be people you want to play with and get to know?

As such, wouldn’t you find them via interacting with some of their members and thinking they’re cool people?

The strength of heart to face oneself has been made manifest. The persona Carighan has appeared.

Posted by: Lishtenbird.2814

Lishtenbird.2814

But… I know some people are much more utilitarian, but shouldn’t your guild be people you want to play with and get to know?

And how are you supposed to find these like-minded people in the first place? Kappa.

Most of the time if you try to join a smaller raiding guild which is actually really good you have to go to their website or something and apply. How do you get to know which website they have? try the name or go to the forums and ask them, the place you wanted to leave remember?

at some point, a Guild Recruitment Board should be unlocked for guilds so that they can input custom recruitment information (website application form, age restrictions etc.).

20 level 80s and counting.