Raiment of the Topless Charr/Asura

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: AysonCurrax.3254

AysonCurrax.3254

Okay, charr without a tail is already bad, but who the heck thought making charr and asura females topless was a good idea over at A-net? especially when their supposed-to-be-underwear cover those bits up by default and now stuff is just hanging out? why cover it up in the first place then?

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Stuff? What stuff?

AysonCurrax.3254

Stuff? What stuff?

Puffy, Fluffy Puff-Puff Stuff.

Posted by: Weindrasi.3805

Weindrasi.3805

There have been multiple armors that make charr and asura females topless since launch. There are no breasts. What’s weird is putting a cat in a bra.

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

If there is nothing to cover up, such as on a male Human, why would it need to be covered up on anyone else? Nothing is still nothing.

AysonCurrax.3254

There have been multiple armors that make charr and asura females topless since launch. There are no breasts. What’s weird is putting a cat in a bra.

Charr arent cats, they Anthropomorphic at best. and even if they might be cat like, they would still have teats.

I am aware of those other armors, but personally i think none of those has been this bad yet.

Posted by: Weindrasi.3805

Weindrasi.3805

Charr arent cats, they Anthropomorphic at best. and even if they might be cat like, they would still have teats.

I am aware of those other armors, but personally i think none of those has been this bad yet.

But that’s what I don’t get. What’s bad about it? There’s nothing obscene or inappropriate about charr and asura females being topless.
Personally, I think the Raiment is much more obscene on human females—the way it sexualizes their bodies is far more risqué then charr or asura

Posted by: kolompi.1287

kolompi.1287

Arenanet has to remove all armorsets and outfits that show even the tiniest amount of skin on human females and make new – fully covering – sets, because the playerbase cannot handle the obscene sexualization. Charr, sylvari and asura are fine, norn… are also ok, since they are resistant to cold and that explains everything.

Posted by: Leo G.4501

Leo G.4501

Hmmm, I think I’ll have to see this topless female Charr. . .
… Yes, to further evaluate the gravity of the situation, a pic would expedite my decision.

Posted by: khani.4786

khani.4786

I think we also need some kind of algorithm that scan all chat channels and If it detect ERP it should auto perma ban players who do it

o.O
First. This is off topic.
Second. If they’re in private channels there is no problem. If you see it in a public chat channel report for “offensive” whatever if it bothers you.

Posted by: Konig Des Todes.2086

Konig Des Todes.2086

You say that as if there aren’t already a dozen armor sets that make female charr/asura topless.

Secondly, this is hardly an issue for the charr. The lore behind the female charr shirt is really that it’s just their out-of-armor casual clothing (see Ghosts of Ascalon). They don’t need to cover anything up because they’re covered with fur already. The asura also don’t have pronounced breasts in the same manner as humans/norn/sylvari, so it similarly isn’t that much of a problem, doubly so since there are no nipples being shown.

We see topless hylek, where’s the complaints about that? We see topless krait, where’s the complaints with that? Complaining about female charr/asura being topless is rather akin to complaining that animals don’t wear clothing. Unlike humans, asura don’t have pronounced breasts and the lore behind their culture shows that it’s an uncared for physical aspect.

Dear ANet writers,
Stop treating GW2 as a single story. Each Season and expansion should be their own story.

Posted by: SpellOfIniquity.1780

SpellOfIniquity.1780

You say that as if there aren’t already a dozen armor sets that make female charr/asura topless.

Secondly, this is hardly an issue for the charr. The lore behind the female charr shirt is really that it’s just their out-of-armor casual clothing (see Ghosts of Ascalon). They don’t need to cover anything up because they’re covered with fur already. The asura also don’t have pronounced breasts in the same manner as humans/norn/sylvari, so it similarly isn’t that much of a problem, doubly so since there are no nipples being shown.

We see topless hylek, where’s the complaints about that? We see topless krait, where’s the complaints with that? Complaining about female charr/asura being topless is rather akin to complaining that animals don’t wear clothing. Unlike humans, asura don’t have pronounced breasts and the lore behind their culture shows that it’s an uncared for physical aspect.

Asura are attracted to ears. Maybe we should start covering up their ears more often so Asura don’t get over stimulated seeing these bare ears flopping around everywhere.

But in all seriousness, I view this the same way I always do. It’s a game, it’s fantasy, don’t project what you see here in to the real world and if you don’t like it don’t buy it, sheesh. GW2 is by far by faaaarrr the most tame MMO on the market when it comes to revealing armors. Why does it have to be offensive or removed just because you don’t like it? Some people do, I do. Make your character look how you want it to look, covered head to toe or buttnaked, who cares, it’s not real life, have fun with it and stop being so uptight.

P.S. Konig I wasn’t directing the rant portion of this post at you.

Necromancer, Ranger, Warrior, Engineer
Champion: Phantom, Hunter, Legionnaire, Genius
WvW rank: Diamond Colonel | Maguuma

Posted by: Zavve.8205

Zavve.8205

Female of Asura have nothing to show so that is not an issue. Regardless of what female Charr have, their fur covers it anyways so once again, not an issue.

Posted by: Sankofa Jimiyu.1567

Sankofa Jimiyu.1567

It really isn’t a problem if female Charr and Asuran don’t emphasize or emulate the modesty that humans have. They have a culture that has no need to design clothing based on the proportions of human females. It would look silly and be impractical.

As a joke, I hope the devs make a version with coconut mamarries for all the people being prudish over literally nothing.

“Look like the innocent flower, but be the Obaba under’t.”

Konig Des Todes.2086

As a joke, I hope the devs make a version with coconut mamarries for all the people being prudish over literally nothing.

Only if the charr version has three pairs of them, and male versions are duplicates of the female version regardless of race.

Dear ANet writers,
Stop treating GW2 as a single story. Each Season and expansion should be their own story.

Posted by: Yoroiookami.3485

Yoroiookami.3485

Leave it for the furry lovers!

Posted by: Doggie.3184

Doggie.3184

They don’t have bewbiez and Asura are nippleless critters so it’s not too bad. Charr are fluffy kittens and I let my pets run around naked so technically they could too.

| Fort Aspenwood (NA): Sylvari Daredevil Thief Main: All Classes 80. |
Please Remove/Fix Thief Trait: “Last Refuge.”
“Hard to Catch” is a Horrible and Useless Trait. Fixed 6/23/15. Praise Dwayna.

Posted by: barnabas j collins.2306

barnabas j collins.2306

Actually this has always confused me.

Charr, who are mammals and should have teats or breasts of some kind – don’t.

Asura probably should have some kind of milk producing organ (unless they are reptiles) – don’t

while Sylvari, who are grown from pods and emerge fully grown and have no need of milk – have got breasts.

On topic, however, there are a couple of outfits that give the female charr and asura the female costume (wintersday and ancestral). So I would bet we see a patch in a couple of weeks that gives them the female version of this one too.

Posted by: Alkonium.9164

Alkonium.9164

while Sylvari, who are grown from pods and emerge fully grown and have no need of milk – have got breasts.

Frankly, there’s no real reason for Sylvari to have two sexes like the other races do. They might as well be all “male”, like Sontarans.

Doggie.3184

Actually this has always confused me.

Charr, who are mammals and should have teats or breasts of some kind – don’t.

Asura probably should have some kind of milk producing organ (unless they are reptiles) – don’t

On topic, however, there are a couple of outfits that give the female charr and asura the female costume (wintersday and ancestral). So I would bet we see a patch in a couple of weeks that gives them the female version of this one too.

Charr do have ‘teats’ 6 exactly. But they are flatchested still like normal cats and for the sake of the game, probably, have them covered by their fur.

Asura honestly do look like reptiles to me so idk. XD

Sylvari are just like that because the tree created them to look human. Who knows, maybe they produce syrup.

Alkonium.9164

Sylvari are just like that because the tree created them to look human. Who knows, maybe they produce syrup.

Well, we know they bleed sap, so I don’t think they lactate syrup.

Posted by: Niyati.4215

Niyati.4215

Anet was to lazy to make female armor for the Charr and Asura. So we get the looks of a male.

Doggie.3184

Well, we know they bleed sap, so I don’t think they lactate syrup.

The breast could be where the sap mixes with sugar to make syrup.

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

“However, because the race tightly relates to the essence of human due to the Pale Tree’s influences from Ronan, the overall form has a human silhouette. But if you look more closely, you’ll see the forms are really quite alien. They are a collection of abstract notions the Pale Tree had about what made up the human, as she really only saw the surface. They are a tree’s interpretation of humans.”

Per the lore set forth by Ree and Kristen in 2011, sylvari have human ‘attributes’ due to the human influence of Ronin.

http://www.talktyria.net/2011/08/11/sylvari-lore-interview-with-ree-soesbee-kristen-perry/

There are other lore and design discussions for the other races out there on google. They would clear up some of those things you don’t understand.

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

Posted by: Logos.1306

Logos.1306

I think we also need some kind of algorithm that scan all chat channels and If it detect ERP it should auto perma ban players who do it

o.O
First. This is off topic.
Second. If they’re in private channels there is no problem. If you see it in a public chat channel report for “offensive” whatever if it bothers you.

that was a joke because I think this whole thread is a joke
sorry that you didnt recognize it .. just like mod ^^

I really don’t think there is a problem with this outfit.

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

Also from that time frame, when discussing the Charr they noted that there had been some consideration of giving them breasts but a designer said “Ok, but they have to have six of them,” and instead they went with the flat look.

Which makes sense to me, I have three shorthair female cats (tortie, tux, and black) and even when they sprawl on their backs it’s just a smooth expanse of fur on display. Heck, rubbing their chests and tummies doesn’t even reveal anything in a tactile sense. Not that Charr are precisely feline, only reminiscent of it, but still.

Posted by: Rognik.2579

Rognik.2579

The original “Charr week” articles mentioned a design choice for the charr females. One of the designers refused to give them just one pair of breasts; it’d either be 6 teats, just like cats, or flat-chested as they are now. It’s clear which one won out. As for the scrap draped across the chest in the shape of a bra, it might just be part of the uniform, since all charr are raised in the military tradition.

The sylvari directly take their form from humans, and inherit their dichotomy. The gender of the sylvari has absolutely no affect on them, as demonstrated in their culture and their high concentration same-sex pairings. I don’t think one form of partnership is more common than the other, and if you truly examined a sylvari’s breast, you’d find it functionless, as full of muscly tissue as the triceps or the thigh.

As for the asura, I associate them as a goblinoid race. I haven’t done extensive research into this field of fantasy, but I don’t ever really seeing them classified as mammalian. It’s not discussed in the game, but I wouldn’t be surprised in the least if there is an asura hatchery somewhere in Rata Sum where asuran children are left until they are hatched and then sent to school. It could also explain why there never seems to be a parent-child bond between asura and progeny as we see in human or even norn culture.

Posted by: locoman.1974

locoman.1974

I don’t see it being anything worse than these:

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Pit_Fighter_armor#Charr
http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Barbaric_armor#Charr
http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Gladiator_armor#Charr
http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Braham%27s_Heavy_Armor_Skin#Charr
http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Feathered_armor#Charr

It’s a pile of Elonian protection magic, mixed with a little monk training,
wrapped up in some crazy ritualist hoo-ha from Cantha.
A real grab bag of ‘you can’t hurt me. They’re called Guardians.

Posted by: Astral Projections.7320

Astral Projections.7320

Snip
As for the asura, I associate them as a goblinoid race. I haven’t done extensive research into this field of fantasy, but I don’t ever really seeing them classified as mammalian. It’s not discussed in the game, but I wouldn’t be surprised in the least if there is an asura hatchery somewhere in Rata Sum where asuran children are left until they are hatched and then sent to school. It could also explain why there never seems to be a parent-child bond between asura and progeny as we see in human or even norn culture.

The Asura are actually placental mammals that give birth to live young.
http://imagizer.imageshack.us/a/img198/4270/h1hh.png

As to their family feelings: http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Asura
“Asura have a strong sense of family and extended family, they affectionately refer to their children as “progeny” or “offspring”. They also venerate their parents, and grandparents. Asura traditionally cremate their dead.”

Alkonium.9164

The original “Charr week” articles mentioned a design choice for the charr females. One of the designers refused to give them just one pair of breasts; it’d either be 6 teats, just like cats, or flat-chested as they are now. It’s clear which one won out. As for the scrap draped across the chest in the shape of a bra, it might just be part of the uniform, since all charr are raised in the military tradition.

The sylvari directly take their form from humans, and inherit their dichotomy. The gender of the sylvari has absolutely no affect on them, as demonstrated in their culture and their high concentration same-sex pairings. I don’t think one form of partnership is more common than the other, and if you truly examined a sylvari’s breast, you’d find it functionless, as full of muscly tissue as the triceps or the thigh.

There are Asura progeny in Metrica Province making “Your mom” jokes, which end with “Seriously though, your mom’s really smart.”

locoman.1974

Snip

“Asura have a strong sense of family and extended family, they affectionately refer to their children as “progeny” or “offspring”. They also venerate their parents, and grandparents. Asura traditionally cremate their dead.”

The fact that they give birth to live babies doesn’t necessarily mean they’re mammals. Lots of skinks (a kind of lizard) are viviparous, so are sea snakes, as do several other kinds of reptiles. And there’s also Oviviparity, where an egg is laid but inside the mother’s body where it eventually hatches and the baby emerges fully formed, which is common in several kinds of frogs, salamanders, sea horses and others… and of course, that’s in our world, not in a completely alien one and on a species that evolved completely isolated from the surface..

Astral Projections.7320

Snip

The fact that they give birth to live babies doesn’t necessarily mean they’re mammals. Lots of skinks (a kind of lizard) are viviparous, so are sea snakes, as do several other kinds of reptiles. And there’s also Oviviparity, where an egg is laid but inside the mother’s body where it eventually hatches and the baby emerges fully formed, which is common in several kinds of frogs, salamanders, sea horses and others… and of course, that’s in our world, not in a completely alien one and on a species that evolved completely isolated from the surface..

True. There was also a post from a Dev however a couple of years back that states they are mammals, but I was unable to locate it while searching just now. I’ve found a number of posts referencing it, but not the direct post.

(edited by Astral Projections.7320)

Posted by: Conncept.7638

Conncept.7638

The fact that they give birth to live babies doesn’t necessarily mean they’re mammals.

No but this does: http://guildwars2.pl/about_lore_and_mechanics_with_eric_flannum_guildwarspl_exclusive,a545

Eric Flannum

Asura are mammals and female asura do have mammary glands

Konig Des Todes.2086

“Hatchery” implies eggs. There was once a fan-fict that portrayed asura as egg-layers, and this got a freaked-out response from Ree Soesbee, who confirmed that:

1) they are mammals
2) they don’t lay eggs

Unfortunately, due to a server move after this post, said post was “archived” and in turn lost.

Edit: seems there was another source for this that I didn’t know of, as provided by Conncept.

Dear ANet writers,

Posted by: Tachenon.5270

Tachenon.5270

Maybe they’re dinosaurs. Asura, I mean.

The table is a fable.

Posted by: nexxe.7081

nexxe.7081

It’s funny seeing people trying to rationalize this.

Their argument falls flat though, when Asura and Charr are clearly representing humans from the real world.

I see these same arguments from Tera fans when discussing Elin. “Their not kids! They are hundreds of years old!” ….riight.

Posted by: rapthorne.7345

rapthorne.7345

Every other MMO I have ever played has females of every race with costumes available that might as well be them naked. GW2 is actually pretty kitten tame in that aspect of things. I really don’t get how or why this is an issue on any level.

Neither race has anything close to human female breasts, so what’s there to hide?

Resident smug Englishman on the NA servers, just because.

locoman.1974

The fact that they give birth to live babies doesn’t necessarily mean they’re mammals.

No but this does: http://guildwars2.pl/about_lore_and_mechanics_with_eric_flannum_guildwarspl_exclusive,a545

Eric Flannum

Asura are mammals and female asura do have mammary glands

True… but he doesn’t say the mammary glands are on their chest (he does say they’re not as prominent as other races, though)… so maybe either they’re located elsewhere… or since female ones look exactly like the male ones they just don’t care about covering them.. (heck, for all we know about Asuran reproduction, maybe even the male is the one that nurses the young)..

Sooo… this conversation went from a complain about an outfit to a discussion about Asuran’s biology and reproduction..

Posted by: Rangelost.4857

Rangelost.4857

This isn’t a matter of what there is to cover up, this is a matter of what is considered nudity in asura and charr culture. Judging from their armor and casual clothing, it’s rather clear that an exposed female chest is not considered nudity by either of them.

Which, all things considered, makes a lot more sense than humans and their sexist obsession with female breasts only.

Astral Projections.7320

Eric: Asura are mammals and female asura do have mammary glands, however they are not particularly prominent the way they are in humans or norn. For the sake of physical attraction, asura place much more importance on the ears, eyes, and shape of the head (larger head equals larger cranial capacity of course!) than anything else. As for telling the genders apart, female asura tend to have much softer and fine features than males and wear their hair differently.

In other words, for Asura the head is more sexualized than the chest. And as already noted on this thread, it’s always possible the males nurse their young. Just because they are stated to be mammals doesn’t mean they followed the same evolutionary path as humans.

Konig Des Todes.2086

It’s funny seeing people trying to rationalize this.

Their argument falls flat though, when Asura and Charr are clearly representing humans from the real world.

I see these same arguments from Tera fans when discussing Elin. “Their not kids! They are hundreds of years old!” ….riight.

Last time I checked, however, Tera’s case aren’t fur-covered bipedal cats or… whatever you’d compare asura to. They actually look like kids in Tera.

That’s a fine difference.

Dear ANet writers,

Posted by: Serophous.9085

Serophous.9085

nothing weird, looks natural

Attachments:

Posted by: Lil Puppy.5216

Lil Puppy.5216

Asura could be like kangaroos and have a pouch to nurse their children, and Charr nubins would be hidden by their pants, not their shirts or maybe they have pouches too, you don’t know.

All I know is that my light armor wearing Norn would like the Rainment of the Lich as ARMOR instead of an outfit (cloven hooves really? when did Satan invade Tyria?).

Posted by: rhapsody.3615

rhapsody.3615

Looks great on humans, but I would like to see these outfits look a bit more girly for asura. Not fond of nipple clamps on any character, regardless of race or gender.

Posted by: penelopehannibal.8947

penelopehannibal.8947

Asura & Charr aren’t real, they don’t exist so we need to get some perspective people! Also, Winnie the Pooh walks around with no pants. Is he so bad too?

Blood & Merlot [Wine]

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

I don’t really see the issue.

1. Asura are mammals, and they do have mammary glands. However, there’s nothing saying that they have breasts like humans do. For all we know, their nipples are located near their crotch like cows and deer. (Would make bedroom romps with an Asura interesting, wouldn’t it?) If that’s the case, then there would be no reason at all for female Asura to cover their chests, outside of practical/protective reasons.

2. There’s been no official confirmation of how many teats female Charr have, although they obviously don’t have prominent breasts. Logically though, I’d say a female Charr would only have one or two teats, since Charr only give birth to one or two cubs at a time. Cats having as many as six teats only happens because they give birth to litters; if a species has small numbers of offspring, there would be no evolutionary reason to have excessive nipples.

Posted by: barnabas j collins.2306

barnabas j collins.2306

Actually I think the real problem isn’t the actual physical characteristics of the race as much as when a person goes to the trouble to make a female asura or charr character, they would like it to be distinct from the males – otherwise why bother with gender. In most armor and outfits there just isn’t any real distinction and that is disappointing regardless of the species.

Posted by: Zavve.8205

Zavve.8205

I just had to post again to say how ridiculous this thread is. Feels like the zodiac armor thread all over again…

Remember when they were saying “I can see the nipples!!!” lol omg….

Posted by: Seabreeze.8437

Seabreeze.8437

Why is this even an issue? There’s a handful of torso armor that shows bare asura/charr chests too and no one’s made a stink about it until this outfit.

My question is: why are you concerned about open chests on charr when the real issue here is their completely missing tails. That’s just absurd.

Posted by: Felkes.2759

Felkes.2759

I don’t really see the issue.

1. Asura are mammals, and they do have mammary glands. However, there’s nothing saying that they have breasts like humans do. For all we know, their nipples are located near their crotch like cows and deer. (Would make bedroom romps with an Asura interesting, wouldn’t it?) If that’s the case, then there would be no reason at all for female Asura to cover their chests, outside of practical/protective reasons.

2. There’s been no official confirmation of how many teats female Charr have, although they obviously don’t have prominent breasts. Logically though, I’d say a female Charr would only have one or two teats, since Charr only give birth to one or two cubs at a time. Cats having as many as six teats only happens because they give birth to litters; if a species has small numbers of offspring, there would be no evolutionary reason to have excessive nipples.

The rule in nature says that animals have twice as many nipples as is their average birth size. With humans it’s one, rarely 2, so two boobs. With charr it seems similar, though I would imaging 2 is a more stable average based on their culture and traditions, so I expect 4.

As for the outfits, just no. Every other aesthetic for these races gives a precedent for how the genders dress. Though the females of both races don’t wear the shuper shexy tight stuff the humanoids do, they do dress in a more feminine, somewhat modest way. Their tops are still always mostly covered. This new Lich gear literally turns my female charr into a male by removing her gender identifier (namely the tail) and giving her no top at all.