Random Acts of (Kindness)

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: JustTrogdor.7892

JustTrogdor.7892

I got the idea for this thread from several observations. The main one being my own behavior in this forum. While I am generally a very kind person, this forum as with many I have been a part of, can bring out my smart kitten side pretty quick. When I stepped back and evaluated that, I came to the conclusion that I was being overly judgmental of others that play the game.

Yes there are a lot of posts I don’t agree with or that I think are just plain ridiculous. However, in real life if I hear someone say something in public that I think is stupid I don’t get into some debate over why I think what they said was wrong. I just go about my business and often think to myself that I hope they have a better day. I don’t care for constant complaining but it really gets too much when I find myself complaining about complaints.

So reflecting on all these posts I have been involved in and, admittedly rude at times, I started thinking about the person on the other side of the screen that I can’t see. I thought about how I felt as I purchased and downloaded the game. How excited I was once the install was complete and when I first made my first character. So then I thought about this other mysterious person living in wherever and I imagined they felt the same as I at one point. I started thinking that this is a real person that wakes up everyday just like me and they want to have a good day which in many cases means enjoying the game.

The thing about the Internet, and I found this out early during the USNET years, is that since you can’t see that person you forget that they have feelings as well. It’s easy to forget that maybe they just had a bad day and an unpleasant gaming experience later in the day was kind of the final straw leading to rage posting on the boards. It’s easy to forget that when they click the login button they want to have fun also. It’s the reason for playing a game and people like to have fun.

So where am I going with this? I thought it would be a good idea to brain storm some random acts of (kindness) in game to maybe make that random person smile for a second, maybe make their day a little better.

Here are a few things I have done:

*When I see a player that is obviously new and low level running around lost, I help them for a minute. Then later on I mail them a few coins and or maybe a piece of armor they could use. I simply write “Welcome to GW2” and attach the coin/item. I imagine as a new player something like that might give them a brief smile.

*If I see a downed player in PvE I rez them and if they are not down leveled I mail them some coin with a note that says, “Thought you could use some coin to help with your repairs.”

*I shadow obvious new players and only jump in if they get in a real dicy situation then disappear and do it again for a bit.

*I’m maxed on cooking skill so when I get low level cooking mats that don’t sell for much I’ll just mail them to some random name I see in my area with a note that says,“I bet you are hungry after all your travels.”

*I haven’t done this yet but I think once a day when I see some negative posts here I’ll just send one of those people that are unhappy some small gift. Something that has been in my bank and I will never use or sell. (Disclaimer: Please don’t start posting negative threads just to have a chance at a prize. )

Anyway, these are the main things I do but I’m looking for more and hope others will share ideas and participate. The thought isn’t to give your bank away but just some small token of (kindness) that might just make someone think, “That was nice.” even if just for a minute.

tl;dr
I’ve been rather rude here at times and I apologize. I’m really a pretty decent person in real life. I think most here on both sides of arguments are as well. The idea is fun and to some degree I am guessing when everyone logs in each day the idea is to add something pleasant to their day. So let’s help random people out with that.

Please share other ways myself and others might just send our own little “token” to random players as a way of saying in game, “Hope you are having a good day.”

P.S. (kindness) due to overly aggressive language filter.

The Burninator

Posted by: Hamfast.8719

Hamfast.8719

Best post I’ve ever read here. Awesome, Trogdor. If you see it catching on, let me know what server you hail from. I’ll happily pay to move to a friendlier place. (These forums bring out MY dark side sometimes too.)

Build a man a fire, and he’ll be warm all day.
Set a man on fire, and he’ll be warm the rest of his life.
– Unknown Fire Elementalist

Posted by: Peetee.9406

Peetee.9406

I dont kick rangers out of my high level fractal groups.

Kayku
[CDS] Caedas
Sanctum of Rall

Posted by: killcannon.2576

killcannon.2576

“*I shadow obvious new players and only jump in if they get in a real dicy situation then disappear and do it again for a bit.”

Not creepy at all.

Posted by: Stone.6751

Stone.6751

Just earlier tonight I was on a low level alt and came across two players who had only been playing for two days. I joined their party and we played for a while and when we stopped at a trade post I bought them both two 10-slot bags, some food, some sharpening stones, and gave away some weapons I had found that they could use. I also shared a few basic game tips before we parted ways.

I find it quite enjoyable to play with people who are still eyes-wide to the game and playing purely for enjoyment.

Its also fun to randomly mail people cakes and cupcakes when you are in LA.

Penny Royalty – Level 80 Guardian
Raingarde – Level 80 Necromancer

Posted by: OliverLogan.7145

OliverLogan.7145

I often throw some silver to people playing nice songs on the Choir Bells if I overhear your melody in LA.

Turning Dolyaks into [Slab of Red Meat] since 2012.

Posted by: JJBigs.8456

JJBigs.8456

Great post!! I had that today where some newb lowbie thief was in over his head in metrica province during an event, he was one level lower than the mobs. I ressed him, helped him kill the first wave of mobs that were camping and essentially halting the event, then I left. I didnt come back to see what happened after but figured at least I helped out.

Posted by: LHound.8964

LHound.8964

Nice thread!

While am i not optimistic with GW2 as i were in the early beginnings, i can still imagine the look on the new players face, when experience the game for the first times. Sometimes even i help them doing Story steps that may be to hard for them, killing a Veteran, chapion, or even “beaming” them up to the end of JP. I often search for the Bounty NPC’s when someone ask for them in the zone chat.

In WvW i tend to kill the invaders fast, instead of thief-toying with them It’s more “humain”.

/Cheers

+1 for the optimistic thread!

—————— ~~ ~~ —-————-
Charr’s need more Love. All is Vain
—————— ~~ ~~ —-————-

Posted by: SandraSolace.7682

SandraSolace.7682

I really like this post and will also participate in spreading the joy that is GW2 to me. Been doing similar stuff already when running into new players.

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

This is a good post. When I’m in starter zones, I often ask if new players need help or have questions. I also risk life and limb to rez someone even though I might die in the process.

One day I was in Keg Brawl and a person was playing against me one on one…but they had no clue. I mean none. I was trouncing them.

So I stopped and asked if they knew what the game was about and sure enough it was their first time in there. So I stopped and explained the game to them, after which I was asked a question about crafting, so we left keg brawl and went to a crafting station.

She’s in my guild now. lol

Posted by: Mattargul.9235

Mattargul.9235

Now is a great time to show your kinder spirit, with the holo nodes in the world.
1) if you are at a node and see someone running towards it, wait for them
2) if you are not alone at a node use your lowest damage AoE attack, so everyone has a chance to get hits in

Dances with Leaves – Guardian – Sanctum of Rall (SoR)

Posted by: jheryn.8390

jheryn.8390

This post is awesome! +1 absolutely. My whole guild has an unwritten policy. We don’t run by people in PvE that are downed or are in trouble with a fight. We help them. We also make sure that if someone is calling out for help or to answer a question, we do so if we are able to. In game goodwill is a huge thing. Not for our guild recruitment, it just makes the game better for everyone.

I think the same can be applied to the forums. There are a lot of people in the forums that are just plain nasty. I was always one of those people that protected others from being bullied. I’ll do the same here when I see it.

I think random acts are a good thing here too!

(edited by jheryn.8390)

Posted by: Rising Dusk.2408

Rising Dusk.2408

If I see your downed icon on the map, I don’t care how many things you’ve aggroed or how many champions there are. I will res you, by the Gods, and solo everything around you if I have to. This has led to some of my greatest solo experiences in-game thus far.

[VZ] Valor Zeal – Stormbluff Isle – Looking for steady, casual-friendly NA raiders!

Posted by: Jack of Tears.9458

Jack of Tears.9458

Living Story scavenger hunts are a good place to help people out – especially lower level characters – even if they’ve been leveled up for an area they’re still weaker in high level zones. So, if you see people having trouble getting to or through scavenger hunt spots, it’s always a nice thing to go help bodyguard them on the way.

Of course, it’s nice to help out people what need it anytime, but those hunt things can get annoying when you have to get through an area yer not ready for. (helping people with things like those stunning satellite dish whatsihoozits in Flame & Frost is another good place to lend a hand)

I’m sorry I stepped outta yer box, don’ worry, if
ya whine enough they’ll put me right back.

Posted by: Morrigan.2809

Morrigan.2809

Great post.
I love helping new players and I have made nice friends just answering random questions about crafting, personal story gear etc.
I love running into them later when they are higher levels or max and seeing how they grew.
I also tend to mail people stuff like bags, food etc when they are new and I know it.
If someone helps me I will send them a little something just to say thanks- just stuff that might make them smile.
I met this one guy and we had a conversation about hats- so everytime I pick up a hat I mail it to him

Gunnar’s Hold

Jack of Tears.9458

If I see your downed icon on the map, I don’t care how many things you’ve aggroed or how many champions there are. I will res you, by the Gods, and solo everything around you if I have to. This has led to some of my greatest solo experiences in-game thus far.

Of course, what’s awful is when you do this and find out the player is Akitten and standing where they are it’s just going to keep happening until they eventually come back. Doesn’t stop me from trying, but now their stuff is even more broken and I’m thinking “why didn’t you just move back a little ways to something obviously safe before leaving your computer?”

(edited by Jack of Tears.9458)

JustTrogdor.7892

I’m glad to see participation in this thread and the sharing of good ways to make other players smile as they are part of the community as well. There are many good ideas here and I hope we all will have fun practicing them from time to time. Thanks for taking the time to share your ideas.

Honestly this Dragon Bash event has been the most fun I have had since I started playing a few months ago. I like to role play every so often. I have used this event to do so. Every now and then I send a mail to someone I don’t know with a short note like, “I hope you are enjoying Dragon Bash. Have a great day!” and attach maybe some candy or food, sometimes some coin if they are new. I have had a few of those holo minis drop so I hid in Divinity’s Reach, gave a few clues and had a race to find me. I gave the mini to the winner and a little coin to 2nd and 3rd place. I jumped to my death in Divinity’s Reach and stayed there until someone revived me (About 10 minutes LOL). I said thanks and then mailed them some candy “For saving my life.”

It really has enhanced my game experience doing little things like this from time to time. Every now and then I get a mail back saying thanks and I made them smile. That’s great since that was the purpose. I didn’t expect the mail back but it was nice to know I enhanced someone else’s game play if for only a brief time.

Oh and I sent some candy and a few coffers to someone that posted here today that seemed a little unhappy.

All posts in this thread have given great ways to help new players. Let’s not forget that experienced players that have been playing for a long time could use a smile too. I will be giving away another of the holo minis that drop to a lucky person that has posted something positive in this thread. I will assign each poster a number based on the order of their post up to the 40th post not including mine. One number per person. At 7:00 EST I will use http://www.random.org/ to generate the winning number and mail the winner the prize. I know it isn’t much because they are on the TP but just for fun.

The Burninator

Jack of Tears.9458

That’s cool Trog, but don’t count me, I don’t collect Minis and I’d hate ta get one instead of somebody who likes em.

Oh hey, and another nice thing ta to is hand our rare dye drops to other people if you’ve already got that color or you don’t care about dyes. There aren’t many dyes – even rare dies – that go for more than a gold, I’d rather see a collector have it than throw it away in the BLTC.

(the word “dyes” keeps changing to “dies”, after my first typo, in this post – even though I edited it. Is anyone else seeing that or is my computer just kittening with me?)

(edited by Jack of Tears.9458)

Posted by: Vol.5241

Vol.5241

I hand out free 15-slot bags to newbies.

Of course, there are greedy players that try and claim to be new but I invite them to party and see them have 6000 achievement points.

Some people..

[Permabanned on Forums]
[Currently Inactive, Playing BF4]
Magic find works. http://sinasdf.imgur.com/

Posted by: ShinraGuardian.8053

ShinraGuardian.8053

“*I shadow obvious new players and only jump in if they get in a real dicy situation then disappear and do it again for a bit.”

Not creepy at all.

You are the night. You are vengence. You are… the Batman.

Dragonbrand
Elementalist
The Dragonfly Effect [Phi]

Posted by: ArchonWing.9480

ArchonWing.9480

Well, thankfully, this game seems to lack beggars who lack basic communication “OMG HELP ME NOW NOW NOW PL:Z” so usually there is very little reason to not help someone with something unless you actually can’t do it.

Although I’m a bit wary with offering unsolicited advice or help, since the level 80 that “helped” someone might be spoiling the fun especially in lower zones. It’s sorta like in wvw when you see two people fighting, your ally is losing and it turns out to be a duel! Of course if they go down, that’s another issue— I doubt anyone finds staring at the sky on their back to be very fun at all.

For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards,
for there you have been and there you will long to return.

Jack of Tears.9458

Although I’m a bit wary with offering unsolicited advice or help, since the level 80 that “helped” someone might be spoiling the fun especially in lower zones.

I try to be careful about that in low level zones, ‘cause you never know. Every once in awhile, even in Orr, I’ll be in the middle of a really intense fight and someone’ll come buy and help … and that’s great of them and all, but I was really hoping to win that fight on my own.

BUT, with that said, I’d rather people help when I don’t need it than not help when I need it most.

Posted by: Mattargul.9235

Mattargul.9235

(…)
Of course, what’s awful is when you do this and find out the player is Akitten and standing where they are it’s just going to keep happening until they eventually come back. Doesn’t stop me from trying, but now they’re stuff is even more broken and I’m thinking “why didn’t you just move back a little ways to something obviously safe before leaving your computer?”

Yea, nothing like coming back from an AFK, looking at the screen and wondering “Why the little cat am I naked??”

If I see a corpse someplace I usually start rezzing and then ask if they are even there. If I get no answer I stop.

Dances with Leaves – Guardian – Sanctum of Rall (SoR)

Jack of Tears.9458

The the heck did it Kitten my AFK? You can’t use the letter F in the forums anymore?

Posted by: Krosslite.1950

Krosslite.1950

excellent post got a +1 from me

Warriors are those who choose to stand between their enemy and all that he loves or hold sacred

JustTrogdor.7892

And the winner of the Holograpic Risen Knight mini is:

jheryn.8390 Congrats, I will have it sent in game mail shortly.

Everyone else that participated in this positive thread to this point, thank you! You will each receive….

Wait for it…….

Wait for it……

Wait for it……..

Wait for it…….

Here it comes……

One more second……

1 FREE DRAGON COFFER!!!!!!! RNG the gift that keeps on giving!!!

Hopefully the RNG spirits will give you something nice.

I’m also sending a mini to a person that posted in this forum that seemed they could use a little cheer. I will not name them but the mail message will say, “Happy Dragon Bash from your fellow friends on the Guild Wars 2 message board!”

I will have them in the mail shortly, probably over the next hour or so as I need dinner. The mail will come from my character named below.

How did I acquire such great treasures you may ask? As a newer player these rapid respawning bandits were not very nice to me. So I busted out my Engineer, Lonnie Wrench, for a little fun with flamethrowers. I still don’t understand how or why a bandit can say, “Ha! Your’e kidding right!?” while its head is engulfed in flames.

The Burninator

(edited by JustTrogdor.7892)

JustTrogdor.7892

I think I mailed everything out now. If I missed someone or sent an empty mail please let me know. I got hit with the over mail message and might have lost track.

Also there is one other thing I forgot as far as spreading good deeds. Stop by the Players Helping Players from time to time. There is always a lot of good questions and usually a fair amount of new players look for advise. If you are here anyway why not take 5 minutes to see if you can help someone in the other forum.

I see several people from here already posting help there and some have even answered my posts, so thanks.

Once again, happy Dragon Bash!

The Burninator

Posted by: Rising Dusk.2408

Rising Dusk.2408

It was a real treat to see the little coffer in my mail when I got home last night. I hadn’t been able to read this thread after I posted, so I was pleasantly surprised. Ended up getting nothing great out of it, but I really appreciate the thought of it all. I am pretty sure I mailed you back saying basically the same thing, though, but I wanted to make mention of it here too.

[VZ] Valor Zeal – Stormbluff Isle – Looking for steady, casual-friendly NA raiders!

Posted by: ricky markham.8173

ricky markham.8173

I think I mailed everything out now. If I missed someone or sent an empty mail please let me know. I got hit with the over mail message and might have lost track.

Also there is one other thing I forgot as far as spreading good deeds. Stop by the Players Helping Players from time to time. There is always a lot of good questions and usually a fair amount of new players look for advise. If you are here anyway why not take 5 minutes to see if you can help someone in the other forum.

I see several people from here already posting help there and some have even answered my posts, so thanks.

Once again, happy Dragon Bash!

talk about helping earlier today i had a person get on my overflow and started asking question about the event. he sure did have a lot of questions when i went to my server at the end i counted his question there were 56 total and they were all good questions and i answered them all he friended me when he found out we were on the same server later when he went to regular server too. i try to answer all questions in map chat even if someone just answered that same question a minute ago. it seems weird most of my friends on my friend list became friends from me answering questions . so maybe the good karma get rewarded that way

Posted by: Krosslite.1950

Krosslite.1950

I got mine and I wasn’t even expecting anything. caught me totally off guard with this random act of (kindness)

Warriors are those who choose to stand between their enemy and all that he loves or hold sacred

(edited by Krosslite.1950)

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

Yep, caught me completely off guard too. It was a nice gesture for sure.

Posted by: Theftwind.8976

Theftwind.8976

Nice thread! One of the nicest things people can do in any mmo is to remember that we were all noobs once. Too many people do not want to answer those noob questions that to them, with thousands of hours in the game, sound stupid. To people logging in for the first time the answers to those questions will make a big difference in their enjoyment of the game. Sure, an answer such as “google <insert question>” will still give them the answer but answers/help given in game do something more. They help the new person forge connections in the game and in an mmo connections in game is what makes the game.

The word “noob” should be banned from any online game.

Theftwind (HoD)

Jack of Tears.9458

The word “noob” should be banned from any online game.

I embraced the word a long time ago. “So … you’re saying I’m new to the game? How’s that an insult?” Really. If I get into an MMO trial weekend and I’m not sold on it for sure, the community plays a big part in making that decision for me. If everyone calls me names and laughs at me and tells me to read the wiki, obviously this isn’t a game worth wasting time on; if a couple idiots do and others offer to help, that’s another matter. But calling me a noob and telling me to L2P when I’ve just started a game do nothing but show me exactly how mature that person is and I use my conveniently placed “block” command.