Randomly losing target lock midcombat

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Weo weo.6378

Weo weo.6378

I’m not sure if this is a common bug or glitch/ setting error as this never happened to me pre-HOT. Hell, I’m not even sure if I can call this a bug.

Currently in the middle of combat, whether it is a 1v1 duel, a zerg fight or just any kind of combat in general, I seem to randomly lose my lock on a specific target which causes me to waste a skill mid rotation or my character leaps/ charges who knows where. This often causes me to either lose a fight, allow a person to escape or just flat out kill me, especially around heights.

Now I deliberately turned off “autotarget when using skill” as it is inflexible at best in pvp situations.

Is there a fix to this or am I simply doing something wrong?

Multiple Class Disorder

Posted by: Dante.1508

Dante.1508

I love targeting that yellow deer of in the distance mid combat, or that ammo crate… seriously this has been an issue since release..

Posted by: Zedek.8932

Zedek.8932

No, it happens to me also. And I can’t figure out what I am doing wrong. It happens several times a day, then I am fine for days straight. Just like Dante said, I also suddenly have yellow warthog or even allied NPCs as target while I fire my auto-attack bullets into trees or hit a bunch of unrelated creatures with the flamethrower just because I changed the target. I often do not realize that because the raw direction is right and when there’s going on much on the screen, I will hit a foe anyways, but not the foe I want to target.

Similar things happen to the auto-attack getting stuck. Stopping to fire when he is next to or behind me is okay, but when I get my target in front of me, the auto-attack icon still flashes but I won’t shoot.

A third error in this matter is – and I can’t believe that! – the same as in FF14: Tab chooses random things on the screen, often the furthest, but most likely anything but that dude or dudette that stabs you in melee combat..

Zedexx, sly Asura Thief/Assassin
and politically highly incorrect. (#Asuracist)
“We [Asura] are the concentrated magnificence!”

Posted by: DoctorDing.5890

DoctorDing.5890

I’ve been seeing this in PvE and it is something that seems to be new in the last month or two.

At first I thought it was when I changed attunement (ele) but it is not. I’ll be happily spamming away at the skills and the target will suddenly switch to a friendly NPC who probably wonders why the sky is raining fire on him. I’ve even had it happen on a called target. Not sure what the cause is.

(btw – targetting tip: bind a key to “target nearest”. Not sure why it is not already bound.)

Posted by: ZudetGambeous.9573

ZudetGambeous.9573

This has been happening to me more and more frequently lately. I’ll be swinging away and all of a sudden i’m not attacking anything or attacking something completely off my screen.

Even when there is only 1 enemy on the screen it will randomly just detarget so I stop attacking or attack air.

Posted by: Blude.6812

Blude.6812

I love targeting that yellow deer of in the distance mid combat, or that ammo crate… seriously this has been an issue since release..

Ditto! Sheep, deers etc (any passive character/animal/object) should never been allowed to auto target. And yes losing active target mid fight has been an ongoing issue and needs to be addressed.

(edited by Blude.6812)

Posted by: EphemeralWallaby.7643

EphemeralWallaby.7643

It happens to me the most when I’m fighting Teq. For some reason my lock on the nearest foot goes away, and when I tab to get it back, I instead get the head or the other foot…

I have noticed that if I wind up facing away from any mob I often loose my lock, too… makes kiting a little more challenging.

This is probably what’s happening to me and Teq: he fears me, making me face away for a moment, and lock is lost… I’ll have to pay a bit more attention to this on the next few fights to be sure.

~EW

Posted by: Endless Soul.5178

Endless Soul.5178

So say we all!

Asura characters: Zerina | Myndee | Rissa | Jaxxi | Feyyt | Bekka | Sixx | Akee | Tylee | Nuumy
| Claara
Your skin will wrinkle and your youth will fade, but your soul is endless.

Posted by: MFoy.3284

MFoy.3284

Yes, this has been happening to me as well. It’s definitely gone way way up since the last patch. For example, I’m targeting on a Champ Spider at Mel in the last stage… then without any movement it jumps to a random Veteran Spider Hatching. Then I have to tab several times to get back to the Champ Spider.

Could someone from Anet please acknowledge that this is a known issue?

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

Yes, this has been happening to me as well. It’s definitely gone way way up since the last patch. For example, I’m targeting on a Champ Spider at Mel in the last stage… then without any movement it jumps to a random Veteran Spider Hatching. Then I have to tab several times to get back to the Champ Spider.

Do you have have “Right-Click to Attack/Interact” disabled?

Posted by: sorudo.9054

sorudo.9054

this is because they tried to make the combat more interactive, or better said, they tried to use two completely incompatible battle systems in one system.
the target system is made for DC universe online kind of battle system while the battle system is made for the classic GW target system, ether have one or the other, not both.

oh and i have bin telling ppl about this problem before the game was even released yet we ether have to suck it up or quit the game……

MFoy.3284

Do you have have “Right-Click to Attack/Interact” disabled?

Nope, just checked and it was enabled. Disabled it.

Thanks for the tip! Hope it helps

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

I’ve never had a big problem with this even with right click to interact enabled except for the tetrad fight in VB. I am not sure which dev thought it was a good idea to give the mob a skill that causes it to constantly drop target.

Posted by: Zoltar MacRoth.7146

Zoltar MacRoth.7146

The same happens with Golem II. He’s constantly dropping my target and if I’m not watching the little bar at the top of the screen (cause I’m focused on what’s happening in front of me) I end up wasting time before I notice I need to reacquire him.
Feels a bit like fighting the interface instead of the foe.

Posted by: Weo weo.6378

Weo weo.6378

Do you have have “Right-Click to Attack/Interact” disabled?[/quote]

I have it disabled but even then when it was enabled in pre-HOT, this was never an issue.

Multiple Class Disorder

Posted by: Justine.6351

Justine.6351

I thought this was my mouse being a jerk!
I play druid roaming in wvw and it’s either my pet or a random wall mid fight!

Posted by: Ceridwen.6703

Ceridwen.6703

It happens to me the most when I’m fighting Teq. For some reason my lock on the nearest foot goes away, and when I tab to get it back, I instead get the head or the other foot...

I have noticed that if I wind up facing away from any mob I often loose my lock, too... makes kiting a little more challenging.

This is probably what’s happening to me and Teq: he fears me, making me face away for a moment, and lock is lost... I’ll have to pay a bit more attention to this on the next few fights to be sure.

~EW

This happened to me when I did a Teq run the other day, only in the no-fear post-battery phases, every time. Being told every other second I need a target for a skill when I already had a target - and a rather sizeable target at that - is rather disconcerting.

Edit: seems I had the right target thing checked. Now deselected and hoping my sanity returns.

“Ph’nglui mglw’nafh Steve R’lyeh wgah’nagl fhtagn.”

(edited by Ceridwen.6703)

MFoy.3284

OK, after playing with “Right-Click to Attack/Interact” disabled for a few days I’ve noticed it’s a lot better than it was. Thanks Khisanth big time!

I’ll add that based on my studying this that it’s really really touchy about whats in the Center of your FoV. If you turn to glance at something else you’ll re target like a Big Dog.

Posted by: themillwater.5846

themillwater.5846

I’ve been having the same issues on my druid when using my staff. Going to be checking to see if I got the box clicked in the morning.

Posted by: reikken.4961

reikken.4961

ohh it’s the right click, is it?
was wondering why I am suddenly targeting a necro minion during a raid

Posted by: Justine.6351

Justine.6351

Ya after I checking that box all is good.

Did they add that in recently or something?

Posted by: clone wars.9568

clone wars.9568

Yeah the AI for targeting is crap and has never been great. Targeting doors/walls/npcs in wvw over over players who are trying to kill me. Or targeting people completely out of range over the guy stood in front of me killing me…

Your best bet is to set yet another hotkey for targeting for the nearest target in options. This is the only autotarget that really works imo.

Posted by: DoctorDing.5890

DoctorDing.5890

Yep, it’s that checkbox causing my problems too. When did that get added?

I routinely press and hold the right mouse button to manipulate the camera so if my right-click happens to be near an npc or enemy, it targets them.

So F11 and make sure “Right-Click to Attack/Interact” is unticked!

Posted by: Blude.6812

Blude.6812

Will give it a try—ty!