Ranged-Only class

Ranged-Only class

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: WilnerGW.3275

WilnerGW.3275

Hey guys,

I’m in doubt about playing a ranged class, i would like to hear your opinion about wich one would better:

-Rifle/LBow Warrior
-LBow/SBow Ranger
-Pistol-Pistol-/Sbow Thief

Any1 experienced in any of this builds, could tell me wich one is more viable to play.

If you want to consider some comment about any meele weapon of those profesions, feel free to say.

I like to play everything:PVE, SPvP, WvW

Thanks;

Ranged-Only class

Posted by: CratZ.6270

CratZ.6270

I noticed you have not listed engineer at all, is this on purpose? He is a very ranged character.

Ranged-Only class

Posted by: Olvendred.3027

Olvendred.3027

Staff ele. Works for WvW and PvE, at least.

Ranged-Only class

Posted by: Magnus Steelgrave.6580

Magnus Steelgrave.6580

1. Ew… (Purely because the dps would be awful compared to almost any other weapon choices for warrior)
2. Not too bad though I much prefer just sb as opposed to both
3. P/p is about as bad as thieves get in most situations. Though sb is a good compliment IMO to a s/p first weapon set but you wish to remain pure in range so that’s not an option either.

If you want to play ranged only, as suggested above, try an engineer.

(edited by Magnus Steelgrave.6580)

Ranged-Only class

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

1. I can’t comment, haven’t played warrior enough.

2. It can work. The problem is the two really need different traits because the shortbow does most of its damage through conditions and the longbow has very few conditions. You’d be better off going for something like longbow and double axes (which are ranged weapons for a ranger).

3. Shortbow on a thief is ok, but pistol/pistol isn’t great. I prefer combining the pistol (off-hand) with a sword or dagger personally.

But overall I agree that you should consider an engineer. Use pistols and the grenade kit, maybe with turrets and you could pretty much stay at range, but without being totally stuck if you’re forced into melee range.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Ranged-Only class

Posted by: BigfootArisen.6509

BigfootArisen.6509

1. Ew… (Purely because the dps would be awful compared to almost any other weapon choices for warrior)
2. Not too bad though I much prefer just sb as opposed to both
3. P/p is about as bad as thieves get in most situations. Though sb is a good compliment IMO to a s/p first weapon set but you wish to remain pure in range so that’s not an option either.

If you want to play ranged only, as suggested above, try an engineer.

P/P thieves are great with Ricochet. Bouncing pistol shots with Unload fired whenever you have the initiative to is a fairly high damage output. Nothing like a warrior Hundred Blades, but nothing to discard out of hand.

Also, P/D wouldn’t be a bad call. Something gets close enough to hit you and you just shadow step away and give them Agony with your 3.

Ranged-Only class

Posted by: Kobi Beef.3895

Kobi Beef.3895

engineers are a terrific ranged class, give it a try please. Its very underrated because its not especially stack friendly in dungeons, but I would recommend it cause its fun.

Ranged-Only class

Posted by: zwierz.9012

zwierz.9012

If you want a ranged only Ranger, I’d recomment sbow/axeX (where X being any of the offhand weapons, depending on your playstyle.)

Ranged-Only class

Posted by: Algreg.3629

Algreg.3629

not so sure about that engineer advice, on paper, they are “ranged” as they have no melee weapon (save the tool kit), but telling from what OP suggested, he seems to be looking for some traditional “pew pew” character and engineer is somewhat tricky in this regard. No loss in trying though (personally, I enjoy them immensely).

Ranged-Only class

WilnerGW.3275

I noticed you have not listed engineer at all, is this on purpose? He is a very ranged character.

Im, I never really thought about engineer, i guess cuz most ppl say them suck…

I Already tried staff Ele, but its to weak IMO. I realy like thief and ranger.

About the thief, I do not know if I’m not letting you take full advantage of the profession, by not using a dagger. because the heartseeker atack.

Ranged-Only class

Posted by: Lalangamena.3694

Lalangamena.3694

Hey guys,

I’m in doubt about playing a ranged class, i would like to hear your opinion about wich one would better:

-Rifle/LBow Warrior
-LBow/SBow Ranger

Any1 experienced in any of this builds, could tell me wich one is more viable to play.

If you want to consider some comment about any meele weapon of those profesions, feel free to say.

Thanks;

staff elementalist pve and pvp

ranger is a sword/war-horn class pve and pvp
warrior can be played as hambow, but for pvp only, pve is axe/mace+gs

Ranged-Only class

Posted by: Dalanor.5387

Dalanor.5387

Try staff ele or granade engi. That way you will be useful and won’t get insta kicked from dungeons and they are fine in WvW too.

Ranged-Only class

Posted by: bOgz.7263

bOgz.7263

Try mesmer, only char that utilizes GS at long range

Ranged-Only class

Posted by: Algreg.3629

Algreg.3629

Im, I never really thought about engineer, i guess cuz most ppl say them suck…

I Already tried staff Ele, but its to weak IMO. I realy like thief and ranger.

About the thief, I do not know if I’m not letting you take full advantage of the profession, by not using a dagger. because the heartseeker atack.

they donĀ“t suck, but they sort the wheat from the chaff rather harshly – meaning, a well played engineer is good and a LOT of fun, a badly played really, really sucks. It is somewhat tricky, you need to switch out kits very often, sometimes just for that one skill to combine your weapon or belt skill with etc. But it is fun to master and the possibilities seem endless. Then, grenadiers are really powerful, though i dislike the mad button mashing that comes with it. If you are looking for that auto-uberclass, sure, I guess warrior beats all, but if you like experimenting a bit, you would enjoy engineer.

Ranged-Only class

Posted by: Meglobob.8620

Meglobob.8620

I want to play a Ranged-Only class

You need to find another game to play then…

GW2 is very anti ranged combat. As shown by:-

-Best way of killing anything in PvE, group into a ball, buff, melee, revive until foe dead.
-Every good missile weapon has been nerfed to oblivion, example Ranger shortbow, Warrior Longbow, Thief shortbow.

Really, don’t play GW2 with a ranged character only ends in tears…

Ranged-Only class

Posted by: BigfootArisen.6509

BigfootArisen.6509

-Best way of killing anything in PvE, group into a ball, buff, melee, revive until foe dead.
-Every good missile weapon has been nerfed to oblivion, example Ranger shortbow, Warrior Longbow, Thief shortbow.

Do not listen to this person. Ranged is fun. Stacking is only for rapid clears.

Ranged-Only class

Posted by: robertul.3679

robertul.3679

Staff ele and grenade engi. Other ranged combos suck.

Ranged-Only class

Posted by: Seras.5702

Seras.5702

Engineer don’t suck. They’re just a bit harder to play well than warrior. If you want a pure ranged class, Engi is the only one you won’t be making huge sacrifices for just to make it work. P/P + SB thief is awful, LB/rifle warrior is awful. LB/SB ranger or SB+A/x ranger can be alright, but ranger deals better damage with sword in melee. Engineer is built to be ranged. Just don’t expect to stand still at 1200 range and pew-pew mindlessly.

Flixx Gatebuster, Orwynn Lightgrave, Seras Snapdragon
[TTBH] [HATE], Yak’s Bend(NA)

Ranged-Only class

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

2. It can work. The problem is the two really need different traits because the shortbow does most of its damage through conditions and the longbow has very few conditions. You’d be better off going for something like longbow and double axes (which are ranged weapons for a ranger).

3. Shortbow on a thief is ok, but pistol/pistol isn’t great. I prefer combining the pistol (off-hand) with a sword or dagger personally.

But overall I agree that you should consider an engineer. Use pistols and the grenade kit, maybe with turrets and you could pretty much stay at range, but without being totally stuck if you’re forced into melee range.

Grenades are very good melee weapons too.

Ranged-Only class

Posted by: Hannelore.8153

Hannelore.8153

Engineer has lots and lots of ranged weapons. From their basic P/P set that inflicts nearly every condition in seconds, “one hour before my hand wants to fall off” grenades and the venerable Elixer gun which has 1200 range when traited. Some even like the Rifle, but I find its lack of conditions problematic.

There are other things to do in this game besides dungeons. Going into PvP/WvW without a ranged weapon is just asking to be kited to death.

Pure melee are very easy for a seasoned ranged character to destroy.

Daisuki [SUKI] LGBT-Friendly Guild Leader | NA – Jade Quarry
I’m usually really sweet… but this an internet forum and you know how it has to be.
/i’m a lesbiab… lesbiam… less bien… GIRLS/

(edited by Hannelore.8153)

Ranged-Only class

Posted by: Silberfisch.3046

Silberfisch.3046

As far as the suggestions go, I would like to support the ideas of engineers and staff elementalists.
Both perform rather well compared to other ranged only options.
Keep in mind though, that if you encounter any form of projectile reflection, you’re out of order until the effect fades off.

And enigneers don’t suck per se, but playing an engineer effectively requires way more micromanagement than with other professions and you usually have to go through a number off button presses to achieve something many other professions can do by simply pressing one button.
Still if that is your thing, they are indeed fun to play.

If you happen to stumble across any typos,
you may keep them to rear new and interesting variants in your basement.

Ranged-Only class

Posted by: Zyst.3514

Zyst.3514

As a main ranger, heres my feedback.
I love LB for the range and dmg (if enemy can stay far enough away, managing that is key). SB is a good pew pew weapon if you trait for arrow penetration. But your main ranged weapon should become…the axe, it bounces between 3 targets and has useful support abilities, when you choose the right offhand for the occasion. Secondary axe for some reflect and pull, warhorn for speed and ranged damage, dagger for more CC/dodge (useful if going shortbow), and torch is more of a melee support weapon.
Ranger can be effective as such, but please consider greatsword as a easy/powerful melee weapon also, specially when dungeon groups ask you to stack, not taking the extra dps of a greatsword makes you weaker for no reason. Sword main weapon takes alot of getting used to, as you won’t be allowed to dodge out at times and repositioning is a nightmare, try it out a few times in open world to get used to it, sword/torch is probably best ranger dps but I can’t pull it off reliably either.
I also hate staff ele, not cuz it’s weak, but because I got too used to my pet tanking or high armor classes and die easy to, anything ^

Ranger main, no matter what nerf bat they hit us with!
SF guild on Jade Quarry.
Fav pet; Reef Drake

(edited by Zyst.3514)

Ranged-Only class

WilnerGW.3275

Thanks everyone for the answers!

I guess i really should give a try to enginer, right?

I have two questions:

-Does P/P thief really suck? Wont i be in a competitive place if i play it?

I mean, I like the look and the agility of a dual pistol thief, its looks great for me. And i like the “Unload”(skill bar 3) skill, its looks amazing. And the thief does its moviments so fast, i really enjoyed that.

- Does enginner have good mobility? And is Pistol/Shield or Pistol/Pistol viable?

Ranged-Only class

Posted by: Kajin.5301

Kajin.5301

zerker static discharge rifle is quite fun. I enjoy its gameplay. I can bring it to anywhere, I wont be on par with sustained/fast dungeon clears (bomb would rule there), but it works great enough

Now this pic is by no means a representation of the average life of an s/d rifle, but when it happens it’s pure joy.

Attachments:

Skysap & Qaju & Juqa -VILE- Desolation

Ranged-Only class

Posted by: JUN YANG.4328

JUN YANG.4328

P/P thief not really, I am using it ATM, I use to deal with warrior or guardian, range enemy I go for d/d or s/p.

Engineer I use p/p for condition, not bad for wvw or pvp but pve not really.

If you like range attack, u can try condition necro or zerker ele

Ranged-Only class

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

Grenades are very good melee weapons too.

That’s what I meant.

Some ranged weapons just don’t work in melee range (the ranger longbow being an extreme example) but with the grenade kit you can just keep on using it without a problem.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Ranged-Only class

Posted by: Izaya.2906

Izaya.2906

I have two questions:

I mean, I like the look and the agility of a dual pistol thief, its looks great for me. And i like the “Unload”(skill bar 3) skill, its looks amazing. And the thief does its moviments so fast, i really enjoyed that.

- Does enginner have good mobility? And is Pistol/Shield or Pistol/Pistol viable?

Just speaking from a PvE point of view, P/P thief is really underwhelming compared to your other choices like Dagger/x & Sword/x. If you absolutely have to range in PvE bow has alot more utility and Pistol/x.

Ranged-Only class

Posted by: Esmee.1067

Esmee.1067

Hey guys,

-Rifle/LBow Warrior
-LBow/SBow Ranger

Thanks;

Rifle / Longbow Warrior – I wouldn’t even try it if you plan doing anything else than Open-World PvE. People will hate you for using a strong class so inefficiently.
Lbow/Sbow Ranger – Though Longbow #2 + #5 and then swap the Shortbow for a stronger auto-attack is relatively decent, it doesn’t compare at all to what a Sword/Warhorn can do. Once again, be ready to get on people’s nerves.
Pistol/Pistol + Shortbow Thief – Once again, very poor options for the class. Pistol off-hand is only strong for #5, which only helps your party if you’re with them, which will be melee-range. Shortbow is amazing because of it’s mobility and blast-finishers, but besides that, no, no, no. As for the Richotte arguement, it’s a 50% chance where-as Shortbow does the same, 100% chance (slightly slower attackspeed though) along with the helpful Blast-finishers and mobility. Even then in PvE Swords cleave > either of them, it can be used as S/P for perma-blind aswell. Be a team-player.

In PvE:
Range in this game is generally not a good idea. Most classes perform a lot better at melee-range and even if their ranged-options are decent (Grenade-Engineer and Staff-elementalist) they’re still much better of staying in 600 range of the team and thus enemy in order to receive and apply buffs. Not to mention how you’re missing out on quite a bit of the fun. Spamming 1-2-3-4-5 as Engi or 2-1111-2 as Staff-Elementalist whilst having to not think at all about dodging, cleansing or well… anything to support your group.

In WvW:
You can be a bit of a backline-character, even then I’d like to stress Grenade-Engineer and Staff-Elementalist are your best bet. You will how-ever once again miss out on a lot of buffs, healing and in the case of WvW, personal meatshields. (AoE has a 5 person limit so stacking is very common.)

In PvP:
It heavily depends on the build, but you won’t be very diverse if you insist on being a ranged character. No-one in this game is designed to be a dedicated range.

If you really insist on playing ranged. Like suggested, go Grenade-Engineer or Staff-Elementalist. Be ready to not be able to be a teamplayer due to the way support is applied and thus maybe run into a few unfriendly folk. That’s sadly how the game is designed. Melee has all the benefits, Ranged how-ever is beyond easy, you will hardly get hit since 4 other people are tanking for you and the boss has to walk to you, you can’t apply any buffs/cleanse/protection to the group, so no need to worry about it either.

Ranged-Only class

Posted by: Reverence.6915

Reverence.6915

Ranged only class go staff ele. Nuff said

Expac sucks for WvW players. Asura master race
Beastgate | Faerie Law
Currently residing on SBI

Ranged-Only class

Posted by: Star Ace.5207

Star Ace.5207

I have two questions:

Hello OP, just a few notes from you and others comments above.

-ANYTHING works for PvE, but many of the views above consider only PvE Dungeon speedclears. I immediately assumed you didn’t want such a build, from most of your previous weapon combo considerations. That doesn’t mean that I would use Warrior Rifle/Longbow myself, but someone saying that “Hambow” Warrior is only PvP, and dual melee combo Warrior is what only works for PvE is basing his/her opinion on “efficiency” metas, and while you want to be good, I don’t think that’s what you are aiming for.

-Ranger Longbow/Shortbow can be made to work-the disadvantage is basically Longbow’s weaker damage as enemies get closer, which is why many others suggested axes as well. I have used both extensively, but not in tandem.

-I have the impression you are rather new to the Elementalist (or the game?-which is fine), but a fully offense geared Staff Elementalist is ANYTHING but weak (only defensively-you must play very carefully, but everything literally “melts” with Persisting Flames" trait.) That combo is more powerful than all your initial suggestions, and indeed more than virtually anything else. So I don’t think it being “weak” is a good excuse not to use that ranged option (it not fitting your playstyle is a better excuse.)

-Thief Pistol/Pistol gets always some haste around these parts despite it not being horrible-just not meta. These forums have an infatuation with metas, which is fine, but then they think everybody else must looking for the same stuff. You evidently aren’t. The auto attack from pistol one is rather underwhelming, but you can make it work for your build, though honestly Thief melee will of course be much stronger than just using unload. Shortbow is fun, allows you to escape, etc. You could use both in tandem even if I wouldn’t (but that’s because I rarely if ever go melee/melee or ranged/ranged.)

-Engineer is an unique ranged Profession in that its ranged skills also work well the common Dungeon stacking, so I disagree with the notion that they dont’ stack well. They have two melee options, the toolkit and Bomb kit (because for the purposes of PvE and/or stacking, they are also melee.) But most attacks with their basic weapons are ranged, as are most of the other skills. It’s not as easy to use, but very effective and powerful-a good mix of power, subjective fun, and versatility for the times when you are forced to be at melee range, which will be many even if you don’t do Dungeons (Engineer is another completely viable Pistol/Pistol solution, though I recommend mixing it up with some other kits.)

-Most skills in GW2-save for the aforementioned fire Staff Elementalist and Engineer situations-favor melee over range for obvious balance reasons. It’s possible to have high damage as a Longbow Ranger with some traits and clever use of your pets, but in the end, the sword Ranger is even stronger. You can do lots of damage with Thief Unload, traited or otherwise, but melee will be even stronger. So as long as you understand the pros and cons and come to terms with them, play whatever seems more fun and is effective to you. Bear it in mind for when you wish to group up, as some people do irrationally hate others for not sticking with “the tried and true” (always try playing with like-minded individuals.) Experiment with what people say, and come up with your own solutions to enjoy the game.

My ultimate solution for most of my Professions where I do have a choice is to have both a ranged and a melee option, but even that is frowned upon by many. I don’t play for their enjoyment, though, but for my own, so I try to be effective with what ultimately is more fun to me.

In short, barring Persisting Flames Staff Elementalist (which you dont’ seem to like), I would agree that Engineer may be the most “powerful” character if sticking only to ranged combat (Grenadier is a great trait for that.) And Engineers can have some sick mobility-just get a Rocket Ride with your Rocket Boots! (Plus plenty of other ways to get speed via a passive trait, “speedy kits”, etc.)
-

Ranged-Only class

Posted by: Paulytnz.7619

Paulytnz.7619

As far as the suggestions go, I would like to support the ideas of engineers and staff elementalists.
Both perform rather well compared to other ranged only options.
Keep in mind though, that if you encounter any form of projectile reflection, you’re out of order until the effect fades off.

And enigneers don’t suck per se, but playing an engineer effectively requires way more micromanagement than with other professions and you usually have to go through a number off button presses to achieve something many other professions can do by simply pressing one button.
Still if that is your thing, they are indeed fun to play.

Which is why I mainly use the Flamethrower, it does not reflect back at you and is great for spraying and praying vs stealthed enemies (both PvE and PvP). The range on the flamethrower seems low on paper, but actually feels further in game and if you really need to go long range you can drop down to rifle or elixir kit. With the right traits you can also get a constant 6 stacks of might, an extra 200 toughness (even on top of the 300 you can get from the defensive trait line) as well as regen hp while using it.

Apart from all that and back on track, Engi is a great class but if you want a true long ranged class and depending on what you want to do in game, personally I would go ranger LB/whatever else with horn for speed buff. People say they suck but honestly I find mine awesome for pure pve for fast kills as well as farming (not bothered for dungeons as I use my engi main for that).

Since when did this business of being a hero become being a business?

(edited by Paulytnz.7619)

Ranged-Only class

WilnerGW.3275

I have two questions:

Hello OP, just a few notes from you and others comments above.

-

Hi, thank you very much for for your contribution! this was very helpful!

I leveled an Elementarist to lvl 20, and i feel like i need to press 3 buttons to do what other professions can do with 1… And the health/armor of an Ele just make it to easy to kill…

Does The engineer is so? I will level an Enginer this weak, to give it a try. I confess that I had never thought of playing with it hehe

I will consider having a meele and a ranged weapon, i will give it a try too. I asked for a ranged profession, cuz all my life playing MMO’s i just played ranged classes(archer, hunters, mages, etc…) but GW2 seems diferent at this point.

I like the SBow/Axe-Warhorn Ranger, ive played it once and it does great damage.

On my Thief i liked the agility and the AOE atacks from Sbow.

On my Ele i liked the fields i got by using a staff, but i hated being squish hehehe

Thank you again!

Ranged-Only class

Paulytnz.7619

To address the Engi mobility, yes we have some of the best mobility in the game. 2 different traits, 1 gives a passive 25% movement I believe (same as most other classes) while the other gives you a speed burst upon changing kits which you can spam for unlimited speed.

Apart from that, as mentioned above rocket boots will remove chill, cripple and slow from you while also sending you forward some distance (very good in WvW/PvP and only has a 20 sec or so cooldown!). The elixir gun has a skill that fires gunk on the ground and fires you backwards, You can use this to escape when you need to (in WvW when I have to run I do a 180 and face my enemies then fire that skill and fly backwards away from them and then quickly turn back around again and continue on running while my rocket boots recharge :P)

Apart from all that we also have an elixir that gives 20 seconds of speed (I think it’s 20 seconds). So yes, Engi is THE class for mobility.

Edit: oh and did I mention RIfle skill 5 is your BEST friend for 99% of jumping puzzles? That’s more mobility right there.

(edited by Paulytnz.7619)

Ranged-Only class

Posted by: JJBigs.8456

JJBigs.8456

Every class is ranged only, if you use ranged weapons lol. Engi is probaly best bet but it just depends what you equip.

Honestly, this OP is probaly lying because if you care about effectiveness, you would go melee. Saying “Whats more effective pure ranged” is a oxymoron. So yes, some might do more dps or sync in traits but since your set on being a baddie, who cares anyway, just YOLO it on whatever class is your favorite. Why would you build a ineffective style onto a “effective” ranged only play.

Ranged-Only class

Posted by: JJBigs.8456

JJBigs.8456

To address the Engi mobility, yes we have some of the best mobility in the game

Engis are about 3rd or 4th mobile in game. Not sure if its the best. Swiftness is only a small part of mobility since alot of class can P-Swift , like engis. The real mobility comes from :

-Things like Fgs 3/4
- Warrior GS 3/5. Bull Rush. Sword Leap. Shield Leap. Warhorn.
-Thief (Inflitrators utility, sword inflitration, shadowstep bow, shadow trap, etc)
- Note: Thief has 0 swiftness or only small swiftness yet its considered #1/2 mobility rank, disproving your “Swiftness = mobility” thing.
-Norn Snow Leopard Form – Dash.
-Engi Rocket Boots (As mentioned)

Engis are good mobility, due to p-swift and rocket boots, but no where CLOSE to best in game. If you think ele fgs, swiftness is better than ele is 3 and engi 4. If you value engis stuff more than ele fgs, then engi is 3, ele is 4. I think everyone agrres that war/thief are 1/2 interchanged.

Ranged-Only class

Paulytnz.7619

To address the Engi mobility, yes we have some of the best mobility in the game

Engis are about 3rd or 4th mobile in game. Not sure if its the best. Swiftness is only a small part of mobility since alot of class can P-Swift , like engis. The real mobility comes from :

-Things like Fgs 3/4
- Warrior GS 3/5. Bull Rush. Sword Leap. Shield Leap. Warhorn.
-Thief (Inflitrators utility, sword inflitration, shadowstep bow, shadow trap, etc)
- Note: Thief has 0 swiftness or only small swiftness yet its considered #1/2 mobility rank, disproving your “Swiftness = mobility” thing.
-Norn Snow Leopard Form – Dash.
-Engi Rocket Boots (As mentioned)

Engis are good mobility, due to p-swift and rocket boots, but no where CLOSE to best in game. If you think ele fgs, swiftness is better than ele is 3 and engi 4. If you value engis stuff more than ele fgs, then engi is 3, ele is 4. I think everyone agrres that war/thief are 1/2 interchanged.

Yes well I was basing my opinion on what comes from traits and utilities the most and not so much weapon skills as that would box you in when it comes to what you are choosing for your combat skills/attack style.

Personally I have all 8 classes and have played them all to 80 and world completes and the 3 I hate the most for mobility options are in this order: Mesmer, Thief and Guardian. Mesmer because it’s only focus (I think it’s focus) for a speed buff, their trait really sucks if you just want to move fast and not be in combat. Thief, unless you are using shortbow or those other weapon skills which I don’t) they REALLY have to rely on their signet and stealth. The only other thing they get is that trait option for a measly second or 2 of swiftness on dodge (very helpful – not). Guardian, well no trait option (unless I’m blind!) at all and only a staff skill which I admit is a nice 12 seconds (again I think lol) if you sit in it for the full time but it does have a nice cooldown. But again a handy trait or signet is needed imo.

Ranged-Only class

Posted by: Lankybrit.4598

Lankybrit.4598

Hey everyone, just a question here. No one has mention Necro. Is Necro not ranged?

My Life in Tyria: http://lankygw2blog.blogspot.com/
Updated every Monday

Ranged-Only class

Posted by: tigirius.9014

tigirius.9014

engineers are a terrific ranged class, give it a try please. Its very underrated because its not especially stack friendly in dungeons, but I would recommend it cause its fun.

I agree it’s not difficult at all to play an HGH pistol Engineer. It’s quite fun actually and there are few requirements for PVE as far as button pressing is concerned.

Balance Team: Please Fix Mine Toolbelt Positioning!

Ranged-Only class

Posted by: Randulf.7614

Randulf.7614

You gave up on Ele too soon. I can understand why, but when you hit 80 (or ceratinly near 80), eles turn a corner and become much better. I nearly gave up on my Ele at mid level for the reasons you listed – I am extermely glad I pushed forward with him

Ranged-Only class

WilnerGW.3275

You gave up on Ele too soon. I can understand why, but when you hit 80 (or ceratinly near 80), eles turn a corner and become much better. I nearly gave up on my Ele at mid level for the reasons you listed – I am extermely glad I pushed forward with him

Hi thanks for your opinion.

For that i read in the Ele’s forum, most of players dont like the point that Ele is atm in this game. Thats alot of foruns that players are “crying” for drastic changes on profession. I guess i will leve it again one day, but not now.

I would like to read some experienced Necro’s,Engineer’s and Ranger’s saying something about their professions gamestyle, how they feel about it, etc..

Ranged-Only class

Posted by: Hannelore.8153

Hannelore.8153

For that i read in the Ele’s forum, most of players dont like the point that Ele is atm in this game. Thats alot of foruns that players are “crying” for drastic changes on profession. I guess i will leve it again one day, but not now.

I would like to read some experienced Necro’s,Engineer’s and Ranger’s saying something about their professions gamestyle, how they feel about it, etc..

Out of all my characters, I would rank my Ele as the best. But she’s in Celestial gear, which I found completely changes the game for Elementalists.

Daisuki [SUKI] LGBT-Friendly Guild Leader | NA – Jade Quarry
I’m usually really sweet… but this an internet forum and you know how it has to be.
/i’m a lesbiab… lesbiam… less bien… GIRLS/

Ranged-Only class

Dalanor.5387

Ele players have problems mostly in sPvP, thats a whole another kind of issue, but they are mindblowingly good in PvE (both melee and ranged) and fine in WvW, even at roaming situations.

Necro, Engi and Ranger are less desired classes in PvE, but i give more details.
Necro is the underdog of PvE. Conditions sucks, their power damage is mostly single target and the utility is nearly non-existent. In WvW their mobility or the lack of is what their problem is, however the offensive capabilities are awesome.

Engi is the swiss knife of GW2. It can do everything but not so well and their stuff is mostly covered already by the other 4 party members. In zerging their granade kit works wonders from a nice 1500 range, but beware of Retaliation! Solo roaming is where the engi shines. CC everywhere, a bunch of different condition in a small pack with decent mobility.

Ranger is a really clunky profession, due to their reliance on their pet. In PvE they are mostly just and added dps boost. Spotter and Frost spirit are unique effects that further increase party dps and their is still in the lower end of the spectrum with a sword/x set.
In WvW the mobility is fine, longbow can shoot from 1500 range too, can pierce etc etc but pet … yeah … the pet.

Ranged-Only class

Posted by: Gyler.8150

Gyler.8150

Engineer or staff ele. Works for WvW and PVE, everything else is probably not worth it

Ranged-Only class

Posted by: OneManArmy.9732

OneManArmy.9732

one more bearbow gonna be born. pf .

Ranged-Only class

Posted by: Piogre.2164

Piogre.2164

>Asks about what Ranged-only class to play
>Does not mention Engineer, the only class with no melee

Engineer is fun, try it.

Very good class for having something for any situation, consider FT-Rifle with healing and rifle turret for blast finishers (gives plenty of short range), third can be another turret or nades for some long range aoe. Have at least the healing turret though, it’s two water fields, one which you can blast on with the detonate- blast on the water for healing or your FT-4 for might. (Just be sure to remember that turret detonation blasts proc ON YOU, not where the turret was, so you need to be standing in the field)

[VIG], SoR
Main: Asuran Engineer — Alt 80’s Ra-T-M-G-El-N-W-En-En-Re-Ra
Doctorate in Applied Jumping

Ranged-Only class

Posted by: Sligh.2789

Sligh.2789

To beat the game into submission, use the above comments with berseker armor until you find the “viable” build you like.
To play the game, every ranged weapon is usable and involves skill learning to make them perform to high standards.
Now, that said, you need to figure out if you are trying to beat the game, or play the game.

Ranged-Only class

Dalanor.5387

OP, may i ask you why you want to play ranged only in the first place?
Someone already mentioned it, but ranged is damage wise way too low compared to melee (pve issue only) and sometimes it’s just single target anyway. Not to mention if you are too far away from your team mates it could happen that you won’t recieve any boons from them. Sooo again …
Why?

Ranged-Only class

Posted by: gosferano.8614

gosferano.8614

Also you could try mesmer with Greatsword/Scepter+Pistol.

l80 Asuran Thief – Universal assassin l80 Charr (?!) Necro – Deadly melee ranger
l80 Human Engineer – Expert of explosions l80 Sylvari Mesmer – Phantasmal Assassin

Ranged-Only class

Posted by: Stooperdale.3560

Stooperdale.3560

OK, here goes for why melee is better in GW2 than ranged as demonstrated by comparing thief pistol/pistol with dagger/pistol. The point of the ranged weapon is presumably to not get hit, but a smoke field from an off hand melee pistol can blind nearby opponents and prevent damage. Overall, a well used smoke field is safer than running about like a chicken. On top of that a dagger can use a leap finisher in the smoke field for stealth, has more utility, more damage, more mobility, and is a better fit for most traits, utilities, and stealing.

Ranged-Only class

Posted by: Xae Isareth.1364

Xae Isareth.1364

OK, here goes for why melee is better in GW2 than ranged as demonstrated by comparing thief pistol/pistol with dagger/pistol. The point of the ranged weapon is presumably to not get hit, but a smoke field from an off hand melee pistol can blind nearby opponents and prevent damage. Overall, a well used smoke field is safer than running about like a chicken. On top of that a dagger can use a leap finisher in the smoke field for stealth, has more utility, more damage, more mobility, and is a better fit for most traits, utilities, and stealing.

Except that there’s Defiance… which makes your blinds rather useless.

Also, most notably in WvW, sometimes you just can’t melee. Like when a zerg vs zerg fight sometimes, where there’s just too many AoEs around to actually approach anything safely with a melee weapon.

I’d imagine that over time Anet will also add certain mechanics which enforces the use of ranged weapons.