Ranger Wolf Pet

Ranger Wolf Pet

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Halthur.9654

Halthur.9654

Can you please put the Juvenile Wolves some place else besides Eternal Battlegrounds. I am so tired of trying to get that pet, only to see it always get camped. Or being killed on the way to get it.

Some people absolutely loath any kind of PvP, and I am one of them. I suggest putting a couple of them in the Wolf Den Mother’s cave in Queensdale.

So people like myself, do not have to go into PvP areas to get something we want for PvE.

ANet 2012 – Play how you want to play.

ANet 2014 – Play how we tell you to play.

Ranger Wolf Pet

Posted by: seabhac.5346

seabhac.5346

Unfortunately, according to the GW2 Wiki, EBG is the only location these pets are found.

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Juvenile_Wolf

How often do you need to charm one? Do you create lots of rangers?

Ranger Wolf Pet

Posted by: Seera.5916

Seera.5916

And how many pets do the WvW only players have to go into PvE to get?

Ranger Wolf Pet

Posted by: Tobias Trueflight.8350

Tobias Trueflight.8350

Most of them.

I’d like the wolf to be available outside WvW too, or can it at least be available in other places in WvW so it’s not a mad dash from the far swampy corner to Umber?

Seeking assistants for the Asuran Catapult Project. Applicants will be tested for aerodynamics.

Ranger Wolf Pet

Posted by: Seera.5916

Seera.5916

Most of them.

I’d like the wolf to be available outside WvW too, or can it at least be available in other places in WvW so it’s not a mad dash from the far swampy corner to Umber?

I’d like them to be available outside of WvW, too. But I understand the reasoning. Some reason to go into WvW. A good compromise would be to let them be in more than one spot in WvW. Maybe same spot on all three Borderlands maps. That way it should theoretically be near your home base on some map.

Ranger Wolf Pet

Posted by: Rylen.2147

Rylen.2147

Most of them.

And how many PvP only players have to get their pets from PvE?!?!?

Oh…wait…

Ranger Wolf Pet

Tobias Trueflight.8350

Most of them.

And how many PvP only players have to get their pets from PvE?!?!?

Oh…wait…

We still have PvP only players?

Seeking assistants for the Asuran Catapult Project. Applicants will be tested for aerodynamics.

Ranger Wolf Pet

Posted by: Olvendred.3027

Olvendred.3027

If you’re a PvE-only player, why do you want a pet that’s distinguishing feature is its AoE Fear? Fear is extremely useful in PvP, but is almost always counter-productive in PvE.

Ranger Wolf Pet

Posted by: Rognik.2579

Rognik.2579

… so it’s not a mad dash from the far swampy corner to Umber?

I think this here is your problem. My main is a ranger, and I charmed a wolf some time while I was finishing up my map completion. What I didn’t do was run there immediately, but just came across the den as I was running around actually doing PvP content. And I’m not even one of those people who hop onto a “zerg”, running from tower to tower.

Of course, there is the 3rd skill on longbow that gives you stealth for a bit. Maybe that’ll help you get close to a pup long enough to smuggle him away.

Edit:

If you’re a PvE-only player, why do you want a pet that’s distinguishing feature is its AoE Fear? Fear is extremely useful in PvP, but is almost always counter-productive in PvE.

Why? It’s Pokemon syndrome: gotta catch them all.

Ranger Wolf Pet

Posted by: Tom Gore.4035

Tom Gore.4035

Yeah. Sorry can you tell us why do you think the juvenile wolf is even remotely useful in PvE?

And you could just get the Drakehound which is pretty much identical, without setting foot in WvW.

One – Piken Square

Ranger Wolf Pet

Posted by: Tman.6349

Tman.6349

@Olvendred: doesn’t matter the reason, I guess, but I’d assume he is an ‘archer’ :/

Ranger Wolf Pet

Posted by: Darkness.9732

Darkness.9732

I was going to make a suggestion, but then I read your signature. Sounds like you just wanted to complain.

what’ s wrong if we complain about a game we purchased with our money?

Ranger Wolf Pet

Tom Gore.4035

I was going to make a suggestion, but then I read your signature. Sounds like you just wanted to complain.

You’re complaining just for the sake of complaining without any valid arguments. That’s what’s wrong.

One – Piken Square

Ranger Wolf Pet

Posted by: Sydone.6892

Sydone.6892

You’re complaining just for the sake of complaining without any valid arguments. That’s what’s wrong.

But isn’t that the unfortunate new trend of consumers now a days?

Ranger Wolf Pet

Tobias Trueflight.8350

I think this here is your problem. My main is a ranger, and I charmed a wolf some time while I was finishing up my map completion. What I didn’t do was run there immediately, but just came across the den as I was running around actually doing PvP content. And I’m not even one of those people who hop onto a “zerg”, running from tower to tower.

Of course, there is the 3rd skill on longbow that gives you stealth for a bit. Maybe that’ll help you get close to a pup long enough to smuggle him away.

Oh, no . . . I went and I got mine the old fashioned way. Wait for a SBI reset time and jump on EB. It was almost trivial after that to split off the zerg and get it.

Ranger Wolf Pet

Posted by: Ardenwolfe.8590

Ardenwolfe.8590

Most of these responses really surprised me. But, I suspect, more than a few of them are from PvP players. Regardless, I understand your concern, Halthur, and I share it.

Had similar problems when I wanted to tame the wolf. But, eventually, I got the pet while the zerg was distracted during the wee hours.

Sadly, that’ll be your best bet because ANet will not change this content given their earlier history on such matters where PvE and WvW interests cross.

For those that don’t understand, the wolf if part of the pet collection. Most rangers, if not all of them, like to complete this collection if possible. Also, the wolves do make excellent companions in PvE because of their knockdown. For every second a mob is down, it’s not attacking.

They’re around the same tier of damage as the lizards or drakes.

Best of luck getting that last wolf, Halthur. Just keep at it. Eventually, you will charm it.

Gone to Reddit.

(edited by Ardenwolfe.8590)

Ranger Wolf Pet

Olvendred.3027

Also, the wolves do make excellent companions in PvE because of their knockdown. For every second a mob is down, it’s not attacking.

All the canine pets have the exact same skills and stats, except for the special skill (F2). The knockdown (Brutal Charge) is not one of the special skills, meaning you can equip any of the other 4 canine pets, and still get it. Or 2 of them, if you so desire. Which will have special skills that are actually useful in PvE, too.

Ranger Wolf Pet

Posted by: Orangensaft.7139

Orangensaft.7139

wait until your server is blue
then all you need to do is manage to reach the camp… you dont need to cap ANYTHING not even a tower… not even that camp

you really should be able to do this…

We Glitched Out Of All [MAPS]
26x lvl 80 Characters
Most fabulous Character: http://i.imgur.com/5JtcBI1.jpg?1

Ranger Wolf Pet

Ardenwolfe.8590

All the canine pets have the exact same skills and stats, except for the special skill (F2). The knockdown (Brutal Charge) is not one of the special skills, meaning you can equip any of the other 4 canine pets, and still get it. Or 2 of them, if you so desire. Which will have special skills that are actually useful in PvE, too.

Yes, but the fear AoE is in the same camp. For every second the mob is feared, it’s not attacking. In a pinch, this can make all the difference. Even in PvE.

Besides, if rangers want the pet, they want the pet. Trying to quantify trolling, and I’m not saying you are, is no reason to give such negative responses.

wait until your server is blue
then all you need to do is manage to reach the camp… you dont need to cap ANYTHING not even a tower… not even that camp

I believe this is how I got the wolf as well. Was quite easy when our keep was so close to the pet in question. Again, patience.

Gone to Reddit.

Ranger Wolf Pet

Tom Gore.4035

Yes, but the fear AoE is in the same camp. For every second the mob is feared, it’s not attacking. In a pinch, this can make all the difference. Even in PvE.

Besides, if rangers want the pet, they want the pet. Trying to quantify trolling, and I’m not saying you are, is no reason to give such negative responses.

Every second the mob is dead it’s not attacking. You can argue about CC being useful in PvE all you want, but the fact is that it’s almost always more beneficial to just kill the mob faster. The AoE fear also triggers way too slowly to be used as a reliable interrupt.

Your second paragraph is a fair point, but in this case the OP specifically said he wants it for PvE purposes, so any collection or aesthetic reasons are ones you’ve invented yourself for this thread.

Sad to say but the first reply to this thread pretty much said it all.

One – Piken Square

Ranger Wolf Pet

Posted by: Milennin.4825

Milennin.4825

I just got one myself. My server has the area captured, so it was just a 2 minute walk to it and charm the wolf.

Just who the hell do you think I am!?

Ranger Wolf Pet

Ardenwolfe.8590

Every second the mob is dead it’s not attacking. You can argue about CC being useful in PvE all you want, but the fact is that it’s almost always more beneficial to just kill the mob faster. The AoE fear also triggers way too slowly to be used as a reliable interrupt.

Your second paragraph is a fair point, but in this case the OP specifically said he wants it for PvE purposes, so any collection or aesthetic reasons are ones you’ve invented yourself for this thread.

Sad to say but the first reply to this thread pretty much said it all.

First off, unless you instantly kill a mob, every second it’s not attacking or controlled is beneficial to you and your group. Naturally, a dead mob can’t damage you. But, using your reasoning, you being dead isn’t helping either. The wolf can benefit a ranger with its AoE.

Second, ask any ranger why they collect all the pets. You don’t have to say why. It’s pretty much common sense. And I hope I don’t have to explain that.

Lastly, this:

is beyond ironic. So, in other words, to complain or make sarcastic comments, instead of discussion or helping the OP is “saying it all”?

If that’s the case, please feel free to say nothing else either. I’m under the impression that a discussion board is here for discussion. Not to make snarky comments that benefit no one. But you sure look clever doing it. By golly!

Seriously, OP, wait for your faction to be close to the wolf’s camp if you’re frustrated.

Again, ANet isn’t going to change this anytime soon as far as I know.

Gone to Reddit.

Ranger Wolf Pet

Olvendred.3027

Not with Fear. Fear is very bad in PvE, most of the time. Yes, popping F2 on a wolf will CC the mobs (for 2 whole seconds), but this will considerably hinder your efforts to actually kill the enemy mobs. You see, GW2 is all about AoE (this includes AoE from melee weapons, or piercing projectiles, etc. Anything that hits multiple enemies). That’s the main reason why people stack around a corner in dungeons – it’s to get all the mobs into one place, so they can all the AoE’d together. When mobs are spread out all over the place, they’re able to all attack you independently, while you can only kill one of two at a time. Meaning the fight lasts longer, with you suffering a lot more damage.

What Fear does to groups of mobs, is make them split up. Instead of a nice group you can AoE all at once, you have mobs in five different places that have to be taken down one by one. It slows you down massively and, in a difficult fight, could kill you.

That’s why I’m saying Fear is bad in PvE. It’s not merely sub-optimal. It’s actively counter-productive.

Ranger Wolf Pet

Tom Gore.4035

If that’s the case, please feel free to say nothing else either. I’m under the impression that a discussion board is here for discussion. Not to make snarky comments that benefit no one. But you sure look clever doing it. By golly!

Seriously, OP, wait for your faction to be close to the wolf’s camp if you’re frustrated.

Again, ANet isn’t going to change this anytime soon as far as I know.

So in the end you still came to the same net solution as the first replies? That complaining about PvE players “having” to go to a PvP area will do no good.

That’s what we were telling him all along.

One – Piken Square

Ranger Wolf Pet

Ardenwolfe.8590

So in the end you still came to the same net solution as the first replies? That complaining about PvE players “having” to go to a PvP area will do no good.

That’s what we were telling him all along.

Do you lack reading comprehension or are you just being this ignorant to defend your nonsense point?

I said this at first:

Had similar problems when I wanted to tame the wolf. But, eventually, I got the pet while the zerg was distracted during the wee hours.

Sadly, that’ll be your best bet because ANet will not change this content given their earlier history on such matters where PvE and WvW interests cross.

Best of luck getting that last wolf, Halthur. Just keep at it. Eventually, you will charm it.

Honestly, Tom, if you have nothing helpful to say, try not saying anything at all for a change.

Not with Fear. Fear is very bad in PvE, most of the time. Yes, popping F2 on a wolf will CC the mobs (for 2 whole seconds), but this will considerably hinder your efforts to actually kill the enemy mobs. You see, GW2 is all about AoE (this includes AoE from melee weapons, or piercing projectiles, etc. Anything that hits multiple enemies). That’s the main reason why people stack around a corner in dungeons – it’s to get all the mobs into one place, so they can all the AoE’d together. When mobs are spread out all over the place, they’re able to all attack you independently, while you can only kill one of two at a time. Meaning the fight lasts longer, with you suffering a lot more damage.

What Fear does to groups of mobs, is make them split up. Instead of a nice group you can AoE all at once, you have mobs in five different places that have to be taken down one by one. It slows you down massively and, in a difficult fight, could kill you.

That’s why I’m saying Fear is bad in PvE. It’s not merely sub-optimal. It’s actively counter-productive.

I’d say more situational than counter-productive. But that’s besides the point of this thread.

To each their own.

Gone to Reddit.

Ranger Wolf Pet

Posted by: Yargesh.4965

Yargesh.4965

Have to agree with this.

Ranger Wolf Pet

Posted by: Tachenon.5270

Tachenon.5270

And how often do PVE players kill WvW players who go into PVE to get a pet?

The table is a fable.

Ranger Wolf Pet

Posted by: cafard.8953

cafard.8953

Traited GS for faster leap, have warhorn on swap, RaO and Signet of the Hunt slotted, and you’ll be a rather fast critter, and should be able to outrun, with stability if needed. It shouldn’t be a problem to just run there, considering that all you need is press F near the wolf, there’s no induction time.

If that really doesn’t work, get a set of superior runes of the trapper, stow your pet and stealth through most of your way to the camp.

Honestly, there’s no reason why you should be completely unable to get there. Pretty much every outdoors spot of the map is accessible if you trait for speed/stealth, and rangers are well equipped for that. On my other-race-ranger alts, the EB Wolf and Jaguar are the first i get, simply because of how easy it is to get them.

If you really can’t make it, ask on map chat for some help, there has to be a good-minded roamer that will take you there. I can do it if you’re on Piken Square.

Olaf Oakmane [KA]
Save the Bell Choir activity!

Ranger Wolf Pet

Tom Gore.4035

And how often do PVE players kill WvW players who go into PVE to get a pet?

And how often do mobs kill either when they go into PvE to get a pet?

Ok… not too often.

One – Piken Square

Ranger Wolf Pet

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

OP what server are you on? If you’re on TC, I’ll help you get the wolf.

Ranger Wolf Pet

Posted by: Gilgalas.7860

Gilgalas.7860

Wait for your server to have the proper color, run 1 min to that place off the beaten path (i.e. rather quiet. You could actually complain if the pet was in stone mist castle …), charm, leave. So easy

Omg sorry. You can’t have it right now, you will have to wait or to make an effort. That is so terrible.

The game is fine as it is. Most of the content can be earned the way you want, and a little part of it has you leave your comfort zone to help you test another side of the game. Quite well done actually.

Ranger Wolf Pet

Posted by: Offair.2563

Offair.2563

It is not really hard to get to the wolf. Ofcourse you may have t dodge a zerg and a roam group here and there but it is not nearly impossible. But if you do find it troublesome, ask some people in your guild or on mapchat for some help, im sure there are a few nice blokes out there for it.

Big Babou, Ranger for life.
Madness Rises [Rise] – Banners Hold.
Don’t argue with idiots, they pull you down their level and own you with experience.

Ranger Wolf Pet

Posted by: Bandit.8279

Bandit.8279

Even if you dislike pvp the wolf is very easy to grab. There is this thing called map chat, friends and guilds. Use these social instruments to aid you in difficult content.

Fools N Gold [FNG] of Tarnished Coast