Ranger or Dragon Hunter

Ranger or Dragon Hunter

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Magic Faze.9613

Magic Faze.9613

Can’t seem to decide, people keep telling me i would be better of going dragon hunter, since I am focusing on LB/GS.

But, i like having a pet, especially a wolf, then again op traps are nice and i always like guardian animations of their skills ETC. Only have room for or or the other.

Ranger or Dragon Hunter

Magic Faze.9613

No replies? I need opinions please.

Ranger or Dragon Hunter

Posted by: zenleto.6179

zenleto.6179

I had one but then I got lost on facebook. Reply that is, not really an opinion.

I haven’t finished my Dragon Hunter yet so I have no idea about the OP’ness or not of the traps but my GS and traps ranger is just great. I think so anyway. What game mode? I really only PvE so there’s that.

Fire up the Hyperbowl ma, we’re going to town!

Would you like some hard cheeze with your sad whine?

Ranger or Dragon Hunter

Posted by: Esquilax.3491

Esquilax.3491

For what content?

For PvE I say ranger because pets is easy mode.
Guardian longbow is similar, has better GS skills, and traps are strong as hell but no pet.

Ranger or Dragon Hunter

Magic Faze.9613

Mainly pve, i don’t pvp.

Ranger or Dragon Hunter

Posted by: Azure Prower.8701

Azure Prower.8701

If you like the pet. Go ranger. Simple.

Ranger or Dragon Hunter

Posted by: Kampilan.3895

Kampilan.3895

It’s a matter of playstyle to me. Are you comfortable/satisfied with how you play and fight in any of those two? If so, stick with it.

I kept my Ranger as such and didn’t go Druid because the way I play her is something I am familiar and content with. I DID design her for PvP combat in WvW, and that translated well into Core and even HoTS with some minor tweaks to the build. Surviving and barely thriving in the jungle meant she was kind of great in the Core so I kept her as is and never went Elite.

Getting an Elite Spec can be a learning curve with the new stuff. Also, can take some time to find out if it’s really OP or not if you don’t have the points to open at least half of the stuff on the get-go (like with me).

Ranger or Dragon Hunter

Posted by: Cerby.1069

Cerby.1069

-Range+Pet or Melee+Range?
-Glass Cannon or Tank?
-Cloak or Aegis?
-Medium Armour or Heavy Armour?

This is basically the limitations of each class. It’s not to say you can’t run glass cannon on guardian or tank on ranger. Just the idea is that ranger offers you a distinct primary play style (damage oriented) and guardian offers you more fluidity (all-rounder).

For pve rangers are great since their pet can tank all the damage. Guardians are just as good, tanking hits directly, with the right build cause of their amazing sustain and tank.

I’m not exp enough with these classes to give you a more detailed answer.

I kill you in one gunflame, or I kill you in two.
The Tiny Yuno Sniper of Ebay [EBAY]

(edited by Cerby.1069)

Ranger or Dragon Hunter

Posted by: PaxTheGreatOne.9472

PaxTheGreatOne.9472

1st: Theoretically you could also go warrior with GS and LB,

Similarities for the 2 are,

• traps…
  • both can be healers
  • both have a area boon (ranger: spotter, 150 precision to 5 ppl; guardian: strength in numbers: 150 toughness to 5 ppl)
  • both can give a lot of boons to self, though guardian will be better supplying boons to others.
  • both have acces to good condition specs, though both will need different weapons

ranger:

• pets willl make ranger extremely flexible and will be adding sustain,
  • it has a lot of decent and good ranged options (LB (1500) or staff (1200)) guardian used to have less, but with the Longbow, the single target scepter as only ranged option has been surpassed.
  • while playing Axe/torch you will have a great condition potential, especially when combined with traps

guardian:

• guardian is mostly used for sustain, though it has a decent DPS role as well and a powerfull DOT option (burning guardian)
  • guardian is limited on condition builds by focussing all out on burning (desstroyers and some other creatures are immune to burning destroying your source of damage.)
  • guardian can use traps for a good DPS build.

Lastly guardian used to be prefered in a lot of situation beiunbg part of the most commonly used groups for added survival. Ranger was found to have less benefit to parties, and while these views are largely antiquated, you’ll still find people not allowing rangers in parties.

I play both. and I like both, they are completely different in playstyle and capabilities.

23 lvl 80’s, 9 times map, 4ele, 4ncr, 3war, 3grd, 3rgr, 2thf, 2msm, 1eng, 1 rev.
Been There, Done That & Will do it again…except maybe world completion.

(edited by PaxTheGreatOne.9472)

Ranger or Dragon Hunter

Posted by: Ardenwolfe.8590

Ardenwolfe.8590

Ranger since you mainly PvE.

Gone to Reddit.