Ranger pet damage will get nerfed...

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: ChyrosNX.1834

ChyrosNX.1834

…because pets HP are tanky enough.

Based on GW2Guru May State of the Game

Would like to start a discussion regarding this one.

In PvP, i don’t mind much as I feel OP in this area. But in PvE, i think this will affect the profession greatly specially those with full Beastmaster build. Rangers, are already getting kicked alot of times in the party just because our DPS isn’t on par with Warriors.

Some of the pets didn’t get the HP buff (ie., Reef Drake, Jaguar, Alpine Wolf, etc…) in the previous patch so I don’t think they should be nerfed with their damage. If so, at least buff Ranger’s damages themselves. The sword punishes the rangers by rooting them in one place so at least buff its damage.

Ranger class is already meh to the eyes of the warriors in PvE.

Posted by: DevorianDevil.6037

DevorianDevil.6037

i would gladly take a little pet dmg if they would actually get the pets to hit the targets, the pets hardly hit a moving target in wvw 50%-75% of the times so they never do their full dmg.
If they want it cause they’re op in pvp, let them nerf it there instead of nerfing it everywhere once again.
+ their hp pool might of been increased but we still have the issue with aoe easily killing them.

Posted by: Odd Magnet.3970

Odd Magnet.3970

I really hope they won’t get neferd in PvE.
I almost started believing in Rangers getting better in PvE with the recent patches, please don’t take it away from me Anet!

I don’t attract, I don’t repel. That’s kinda odd

Posted by: stale.9785

stale.9785

I still believe they should take most of the damage off of the pet, and put it into the ranger’s weapons (adjust the weapon skill co-efficients to match other classes)

Right now the total ranger damage comes in two parcels, ranger and pet, with a ratio of 60:40. The default should be 90:10. With that change, those who don’t invest in BM don’t suffer for it, and those who want to will be sacrificing from other stats (personal damage, armour, HP) to be a full beastmaster.

I still dislike the fact that nearly half of my damage resides with a npc that is poorly controlled. (I’m not alone in this – probably 8 in every 10 suggestions in the ranger forums are asking to simply to make the pet optional – Anet has said this won’t happen, so I’d settle for making the pet inconsequential if you’re not speccing for it.)

Posted by: Morrigan.2809

Morrigan.2809

Just as long as they keep PvE and PvP balancing separate- I have a nice synergy going with my pet-I would like to keep it that way.
I use birds mostly and I have no idea how much damage they actually do but they suit how I play.

Gunnar’s Hold

Posted by: Jalad Lantana.3027

Jalad Lantana.3027

Anet hates rangers. The class exists so they can claim to have multiple classes.

Let 4 warriors and a mesmer steamroll COF, “working as intended” says Anet.
Let 4-5 rangers do COF and take longer than 4 warriors and a mesmer, and Anet lets the ranger nerfs fly.

Do I really need to remind people of the absolute HORROR expressed by Anet devs anytime the class is even mentioned and the total state of panic if some one suggests that a team of rangers for anything.

Anet has a mental picture that Rangers are a background role, that those who play it do so just to be close to cuddly pets and that is the bottom line only reward they should expect from the class.

It’s a simple fact that every single MMO ever made, NEVER allows a pet class to be n par with you simple direct damage type classes.

It’s a niche class and a niche activity like role playing. It’s tacked on in that regards and forget about ever getting balanced to be on the same tier as the direct damage classes.

All SOTG proves is that Anet cares about pvp balance while reinforcing the converse which is they think PVE is perfectly balanced and no unfairness exists there.

I am completely disgusted with Anet’s antipathy towards the Ranger class.
You can see it every time Anet opens their mouths, the simply regret ever putting the class in and if you watch any interviews with devs any time Rangers are brought up their faces get frowns, they take defensive body postures, and the get all fidgety until the topic is changed and they then regain their best foot forward body language.

HOD
Guardian / Ranger / Mesmer / Necro / Warrior
Played since 1st online ‘demo’ months before the BWEs.

(edited by Jalad Lantana.3027)

Posted by: TheBlackLeech.9360

TheBlackLeech.9360

I just recently completed my 200 wins as a Guardian and started using Mesmer in spvp.

(Prior to that I got my 200 wins as ranger… so this is not a post about complaining)

Let me tell you that ranger pets are almost a slight counter to classes that rely on stealth in their builds.

The ranger pets will chase you forever.

You can run halfway across the map and stealth yourself…. but the second you are revealed you better believe that that ranger’s kitten ed pet will make a b-line straight in your direction.

It is a dead giveaway as to where you went when you fooled the actual ranger with clones blinks and/or stealth …. but his pet just “picks up your scent” so to speak.

Whether or not this is fair or intentional is uncertain…. but having the pet chase you completely across the map iz somewhat broken. (I used iz instead of is because “Makitten omewhat” gets censored)

You have no choice but to fight the pet…. there is no getting rid of it.

The feline pets hit pretty hard, so have fun trying to ignore one clawing your face off.

(edited by TheBlackLeech.9360)

Posted by: knives.6345

knives.6345

Dammit I just started Ranger. lol

Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici

Posted by: Tolmos.8395

Tolmos.8395

lol. If they actually did this I would really start to believe they just want to funnel every player in the Warrior class. Rangers have it tough enough as it is getting a group. They are subpar as a utility class and really have no heal capability… so it’s DPS or gtfo. But they can’t DPS worth a crap, so what does that leave them?

Man, I’m glad I didn’t roll ranger as a main…

Posted by: Zorby.8236

Zorby.8236

This is already getting hammered in Ranger board

~This is the internet, my (or your) opinion doesn’t matter~

Posted by: Jski.6180

Jski.6180

Sounds good a rangers pet in pvp and wvw is nearly unkillable and it dose just soo much dmg because it can glitch though wall and gaps so there is no way to run away from them.

Main : Jski Imaginary ELE (Necromancer)
Guild : OBEY (The Legacy) I call it Obay , TLC (WvW) , UNIV (other)
Server : FA

Posted by: tigirius.9014

tigirius.9014

yeah I hope they separate this between PVE PVP WVW because if they don’kittens going to further break PVE for rangers.

I wouldn’t want our ranger brothers and sister experiencing what we’ve been experiencing on the engineer side since a month after launch.

Balance Team: Please Fix Mine Toolbelt Positioning!

Posted by: Firefly.5982

Firefly.5982

Well…I played my ranger for a very long time, loving it, defending it against everyone saying rangers are bad, updating and improving builds, gear etc. etc. I am sick of it and finally switched to a mesmer main.

This game doesn’t care about rangers. The rangers out there will just have to deal with that. If you love playing ranger, play it because you love it, but forget about ever being as valuable in parties as say mesmer or warrior. It’s sad, but it’s a fact.

Posted by: ImagoX.4718

ImagoX.4718

GW2 is an MMO and in my experience a bit of knee-jerk QQ is par for the course in these games, however, I will say that my very first Lvl80 was my Asuran Ranger, a character I abandoned when my Mez got to about lvl 45 and started feeling much more “epic” in PvE (I don’t PvP and almost never WvW). Let me say that again in case ANet is listening: my Mex simply felt more epic. More fun to play… more powerful… much, MUCH more useful in Dungeon runs (kitten pet kept dying every 30 seconds…)

Now since then some of the pets have been health buffed (TYVM, ANet) and I’ve also discovered the wonderful ability to perma-fury my pets via weapon swapping and I’m starting to love my Ranger again – now I even play him, even! I hope that a major damage nerf doesn’t happen, because if it does, I’m sure my Ranger will start to feel squishy and underpowered again which would be a shame. Even with the current damage level, I still often feel like a second-class citizen in dungeon runs, almost like I should apologize for how many times I die (or my pet dies, dumping all that built-up Fury and making me start over).

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

The video is about PvP. I doubt Anet is going to nerf ranger pets in PvE. If they did, it would be a mistake.

But I wouldn’t get all bent out of shape until I saw the nerf. It’s a state of the game video dedicated to PvP. PvE isn’t mentioned at all.

Posted by: Mepheles.2087

Mepheles.2087

Hmm… Rangers seem to be the “Shamans” of GW2

Gates of Madness

Posted by: Kravick.4906

Kravick.4906

Hmm… Rangers seem to be the “Shamans” of GW2

And necros the warlocks. Mushrooms.

Stuff goes here.

Posted by: Arheundel.6451

Arheundel.6451

I’m not ranger player, got no love or hate for ranger profession but.. kitten Anet, why nerf something I can actually dodge and avoid rather than that invisible bullkitten that hit me from 9k dmg from 1200 range ( phantasm mesmer) or professions with on demand 1200 teleport/stun break ( s/d thief)?…once again a good call -_-

Posted by: Jaall.3420

Jaall.3420

I’m actually really disappointed with ranger in this game, even as it is now. I know in a lot of mmos pet classes always have the worst straw because balance is hard to maintain when you have both your pet and player attacking, but in gw2 is really does push it too far. Compared to every other class the damage is just terrible.

I like rangers because I like the look of bows and most games class mechanics with traps etc. In Aion for example there were no pets as far as I remember with the ranger class (although last I played was 2 years ago) and the damage was pretty good. Being able to do damage in pve is a major factor in what I consider fun. Imo fun isn’t trying to survive a fight where any other class can just roll over it like it’s nothing.

As soon as a game developer starts including pet damage in overall damage it goes completely wrong just because you will never have enough control over an npc to warrant it taking up a percentage of your overall damage. The thing that gives players great dps is timing and range of skills. The reason people can steamroll cof is because they choose their skills and weapons and switch when necessary to give the right buffs/boons to maximise dps.

Take away even 20% of that control and dps will fall significantly. Ranger has a lot less control than that. I don’t know how they can fix it, but a nerf to pet damage without any kind of buff to the class is definitely not an answer, it will only anger people. I don’t even play ranger and I don’t understand this decision, let alone the level 80 rangers out there who struggle with invites anyway!

Posted by: Phaedryn.3698

Phaedryn.3698

Seeing as how my Jungle Stalker can solo a Veteran Reef Rider (as in kill from 100%-0% while I am /sit’ing) it is probably deserved.

However, I would greatly prefer the ability to permanently store my pet, and have my personal damage output adjusted to compensate.

(edited by Phaedryn.3698)

Posted by: Melchior.2135

Melchior.2135

Do I really need to remind people of the absolute HORROR expressed by Anet devs anytime the class is even mentioned and the total state of panic if some one suggests that a team of rangers for anything.

If you wouldn’t mind, I’d certainly appreciate it. Please provide links.

Former Guild Wars 2 fan. RIP, ArenaNet’s integrity.

Vayne.8563

I’m actually really disappointed with ranger in this game, even as it is now. I know in a lot of mmos pet classes always have the worst straw because balance is hard to maintain when you have both your pet and player attacking, but in gw2 is really does push it too far. Compared to every other class the damage is just terrible.

I like rangers because I like the look of bows and most games class mechanics with traps etc. In Aion for example there were no pets as far as I remember with the ranger class (although last I played was 2 years ago) and the damage was pretty good. Being able to do damage in pve is a major factor in what I consider fun. Imo fun isn’t trying to survive a fight where any other class can just roll over it like it’s nothing.

As soon as a game developer starts including pet damage in overall damage it goes completely wrong just because you will never have enough control over an npc to warrant it taking up a percentage of your overall damage. The thing that gives players great dps is timing and range of skills. The reason people can steamroll cof is because they choose their skills and weapons and switch when necessary to give the right buffs/boons to maximise dps.

Take away even 20% of that control and dps will fall significantly. Ranger has a lot less control than that. I don’t know how they can fix it, but a nerf to pet damage without any kind of buff to the class is definitely not an answer, it will only anger people. I don’t even play ranger and I don’t understand this decision, let alone the level 80 rangers out there who struggle with invites anyway!

Do you care if they only nerf it in PvP, because the referenced video is a video about PvP.

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

Do you care if they only nerf it in PvP, because the referenced video is a video about PvP.

Not saying the RTL nerf was unwarranted, but the last SotG was about PvP also, and Ele was affected in PvE and WvW. Also, Engies grenades were nerfed 30% in all modes because of the PvP-based design philosophy of their class.

I’m in wait and see mode on this change, but I’m not optimistic that ANet devs are going to make the change in one mode only. The best indicator of future performance is past performance.

Vayne.8563

Not saying the RTL nerf was unwarranted, but the last SotG was about PvP also, and Ele was affected in PvE and WvW. Also, Engies grenades were nerfed 30% in all modes because of the PvP-based design philosophy of their class.

I’m in wait and see mode on this change, but I’m not optimistic that ANet devs are going to make the change in one mode only. The best indicator of future performance is past performance.

Guess we’ll see.

Posted by: Erasculio.2914

Erasculio.2914

(I’m not alone in this – probably 8 in every 10 suggestions in the ranger forums are asking to simply to make the pet optional – Anet has said this won’t happen, so I’d settle for making the pet inconsequential if you’re not speccing for it.)

This is, of course, a very bad idea. You are basically saying “I would like to make pets optional, but since ArenaNet won’t do that I would like them to make them so irrelevant that you can ignore them if you want to, effectively being a kitten way to make them optional”.

That’s just poor design. Either make pets optional, or do not make them optional. Trying to find an in-between just to save face is rather silly.

Half of what a ranger does should be based on the pet. The issue is that the pet is right now not worth the effort – there is no fluid way to control it. If there were and using the pet were more active than it is today, the ranger would be a great, pet-focused profession.

“I think that players are starting to mature past the point of wanting to be on that
treadmill, of being in that obvious pattern of every time I catch up you are going to
put another carrot in front of me” – Mike O’Brien right before Ascended weapons

Posted by: Shiyo.3578

Shiyo.3578

…because pets HP are tanky enough.

Based on GW2Guru May State of the Game

Would like to start a discussion regarding this one.

In PvP, i don’t mind much as I feel OP in this area. But in PvE, i think this will affect the profession greatly specially those with full Beastmaster build. Rangers, are already getting kicked alot of times in the party just because our DPS isn’t on par with Warriors.

Some of the pets didn’t get the HP buff (ie., Reef Drake, Jaguar, Alpine Wolf, etc…) in the previous patch so I don’t think they should be nerfed with their damage. If so, at least buff Ranger’s damages themselves. The sword punishes the rangers by rooting them in one place so at least buff its damage.

Ranger class is already meh to the eyes of the warriors in PvE.

Rangers are fine in non-speedrush(which is boring) dungeons, you just need to actually do more than autoattack. A low CD 50% uptime water field + aoe regen + condition removal, a very strong res via spirit(probably the best res in the game), low cooldown fire field, very good tanking ability, and decent damage makes ranger great in dungeons.

Posted by: ilr.9675

ilr.9675

Without both Signet of Wild and Signet of Stone, the pets die instantly in any REAL encounter/PVP. I don’t know what game they’re playing but it’s not this one. Nerfing pets will just make everyone run Ranged-Trappers and anyone who’s faced the Rangers in Catas with their ranged trap spamming know just how much WORSE that is than the cute little pets running around that you can actually see coming in time and do something about (like crippping or immob’ing them).

Good luck using Control skills against a dozen huge Traps that gets thrown right under your feet that you can’t even see coming from all your Bunker-spam particles

Posted by: Blude.6812

Blude.6812

LOL—op hasn’t come back—-fishing expedition successful!

Posted by: ilr.9675

ilr.9675

LOL—op hasn’t come back—-fishing expedition successful!

It’s not trolling when Anet announces the changes before hand just to see the reactions…

…oh wait…
Darn you Anet!