Ranger vs Engineer

Ranger vs Engineer

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Naldor.7865

Naldor.7865

Hey,
I came back to GW2 and I find myself stuck between 2 professions and I wasn’t able to find a recent comparison. The classes being of course ranger and engineer.

I’d like sort of a pros/ cons for each one plzz ^^

As I stand, I’m leaning more towards engineer for the complexity. I’ve tested both profs with high dps builds (S/W ranger and nades/bombs engi) and both seemed great, the ranger feeling a lot less complex and a little behind on engineer in sustained damage.

If you want to know I’m more concerned with dungeons/ pve

Thank you in advance)

Ranger vs Engineer

Posted by: STRanger.5120

STRanger.5120

Well, imho Ranger kinda sux in this game, nothing to look forward with that proffesion.

Engineer on the other side, totally fits my “explorer” vision, just like Elementalist does. You learn new things every day playing those two

#ELEtism 4ever

Ranger vs Engineer

Posted by: Taverius.8645

Taverius.8645

You’re not gonna get an objective reply to this kind of question, everyone has their favourite class.

As someone who mains a ranger I’ll say try it and if you don’t like the awful pet ai drop it, but you’ll find the myriad turret bugs that have existed since launch just as infuriating.

Rock Paper Signet – Gunnar’s Hold EU
Gather ALL the things! \o/
Ranger Bugs List

Ranger vs Engineer

Posted by: Flytrap.8075

Flytrap.8075

Ranger is FANTASTIC in sPvP and small-man WvW roaming.

If you’re looking to do anything besides that, however, go Engineer.

Fort Aspenwood | [Bags]

Ranger vs Engineer

Posted by: bloodletting wolf.2837

bloodletting wolf.2837

I’m a little biased since Engie is my main so take this with a grain of salt. When I go up against a ranger in WvW I have NO fear of losing.At all. If they had the option to put the pet away ranger might be decent in PvE.

Kaa Mchorror NSP grenadier [hayt]

Ranger vs Engineer

Posted by: knives.6345

knives.6345

As someone who doesn’t main both classes, I’ll choose Ranger – simply because it’s underdog.

Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici

Ranger vs Engineer

Posted by: Belzebu.3912

Belzebu.3912

My main is a ranger, but I also have a lvl 80 eng.
Rangers are amazing WvW roamers and duelists, and average at everything else, engineers are well balanced at everything, nades are amazing long range, bombs are great “melee”, gives good support (healing turret, elixir gun, some toss elixir skills and so on), so if you like a more complex class I suggest engineer.

Charter Vanguard [CV] – HoD
Bardy Belzebuson – Ranger Sir Belzebu – Herald
(and the other 8 elite specs maxed too)

Ranger vs Engineer

Naldor.7865

Nice answers so far.
I do know most ppl will be biased towards their mains but what I want is more like a number comparison.
As it stands it also seems that there are quite a lot of rangers and most are playing their class narrow-mindedly, wich imo may make other players question themselves wether they want a ranger or not in their dung…

Ranger vs Engineer

Posted by: zenleto.6179

zenleto.6179

Ranger is fine for open world pve. People seem to forget that the pet is a weapon. Pets can be fiddley though in a dungeon situation and in heavy aoe they don’t last long unfortunately.

Engineers are a different fun. They can be pretty decent for crowd control and the kits are good for area damage. Turrets are good for attracting the attention of mobs but, like ranger pets, they won’t stand up very well in a dungeon against a mass of mobs. From memory anyway since I haven’t taken an engineer into a dungeon since February.

Both classes are great underwater.

Fire up the Hyperbowl ma, we’re going to town!

Would you like some hard cheeze with your sad whine?

Ranger vs Engineer

Posted by: zenleto.6179

zenleto.6179

Nice answers so far.
I do know most ppl will be biased towards their mains but what I want is more like a number comparison.
As it stands it also seems that there are quite a lot of rangers and most are playing their class narrow-mindedly, wich imo may make other players question themselves wether they want a ranger or not in their dung…

Pet using classes, and anything called Ranger, seem to have a horrible reputation in just about any mmo I’ve ever played. Plus rangers who only use a longbow and use #4 on mobs while melees are beating on them don’t do much for the general reputation either.

Fire up the Hyperbowl ma, we’re going to town!

Would you like some hard cheeze with your sad whine?

Ranger vs Engineer

STRanger.5120

Well, my main is Elementalist btw. Just have to add that to my opinion above…

Also my favourite class was Hunter in another game (you know which). However, Ranger doesn’t even touches Hunter in complexity, class mechanics, which is the equivalent for fun to me.

#ELEtism 4ever

Ranger vs Engineer

Posted by: Zoid.2568

Zoid.2568

Engineer.
Ranger is a class ArenaNet doesn’t care about, it’s not getting improved much at all.

Ranger vs Engineer

Posted by: LadyRhonwyn.2501

LadyRhonwyn.2501

This:

You’re not gonna get an objective reply to this kind of question, everyone has their favourite class.

Because I’d say the opposite of this post

Well, imho Ranger kinda sux in this game, nothing to look forward with that proffesion.

Engineer on the other side, totally fits my “explorer” vision, just like Elementalist does. You learn new things every day playing those two

I really don’t like the elementalist (haven’t played the engineer), but simply love the ranger. (and the only thing I learned from playing the elementalist is being annoyed at everything I do…)

Ranger vs Engineer

Posted by: psizone.8437

psizone.8437

I’m a little biased since Engie is my main so take this with a grain of salt. When I go up against a ranger in WvW I have NO fear of losing.At all. If they had the option to put the pet away ranger might be decent in PvE.

It’s funny, as a ranger, I feel the same way when I face an engineer in a 1v1 fight in WvW.

Don’t get me wrong, a skilled engineer is hard to kill, but they are so few and far between due to how complex the class is.

As for rangers, most players I find online seem to use a longbow and they don’t tend to last long in a fight (which is where I’m assuming most people get the “free lootbags” idea from) but a skilled ranger with the right build will win most fair fights.

For the OP, use engineer if you are good at swapping utilities and using the function buttons efficiently and don’t want to watch out for a pet. Or use a ranger if you don’t mind managing a pet and just want to focus on weapon skills and dodging.

Brotherhood of Blub [blub]

Ranger vs Engineer

STRanger.5120

I really don’t like the elementalist (haven’t played the engineer), but simply love the ranger. (and the only thing I learned from playing the elementalist is being annoyed at everything I do…)

The only thing I’m being annoyed connected to the Elementalist class is the constant rain of nerfs on our head. Everything else is great, basic idea of the class is excellent, the complexity of the mechanic is perfect for ppl who don’t want to just faceroll everything with minimum effort (yeah, I have a warrior and had a ranger too, until I deleted it to make room for my Engineer).
The game is about challenge to me, if I want to faceroll for some reason, I can always log on my Warrior (haven’t happened quite a while) or just play BF3, take an M16A3 and pwn some other ppl, easy

#ELEtism 4ever

Ranger vs Engineer

Posted by: Paulytnz.7619

Paulytnz.7619

I main an Engi and have my second alt Ranger as my farmer in berserkers gear so I know both classes pretty well.

I love my engi for everything. He is a survival build however, but with my traits he can also dish out a fair amount of damage while surviving. He does great in all modes; PvE, PvP, WvW and dungeons/fractals.

Now my ranger was also just as good when I had him in a survival build as well. But he does even better now that I have decked him out in full berserkers. The trick here is to use a full 30 points on the pet trait line and choose the right pets to use for the right situations. I use a Longbow as my mainhand because its fun and with my berserkers gear, pet traits I dish out massive damage in PvE and kill enemies very fast. I choose the cat stalker as my main pet and only switch to a bear if I need extra soaking of damage from champs or to use the F2 skill to remove conditions.

For WvW you die fast as a ranger in berserkers but can do pretty well in survival gear. I need to get a second set of survival gear for my ranger for WvW again.

Anywho I hope you find a class to play with.

Since when did this business of being a hero become being a business?

Ranger vs Engineer

Posted by: Azreell.1568

Azreell.1568

Go warrior or mesmer and stop playing inferior classes.

Azreell – Mesmer
Loyalty To None

Ranger vs Engineer

STRanger.5120

Imho, it’s better to play inferior class which is fun for you, than become an inferior player which is bored to death, just sayin’….

#ELEtism 4ever

Ranger vs Engineer

Posted by: Azreell.1568

Azreell.1568

Imho, it’s better to play inferior class which is fun for you, than become an inferior player which is bored to death, just sayin’….

While what you said is a noble ideal indeed.

After playing mmorpgs for so long – I have learned each game has certain classes which it favors from start to end.

It’s obvious which classes anet has chosen.

The end result for a ton of player’s is why work twice has hard for less results.

Azreell – Mesmer
Loyalty To None

Ranger vs Engineer

Naldor.7865

Warrior although fun feels blunt, and I’m not a Fotm reroller, nor do i enjoy playing with a “winning profession”, it feels like the character is winning and not the player. Plus there are more warriors then rangers and engineers combined.
Don’t warriors feel bad that there are so many like them? And most people are just playing them cause they are unbalancedly powerful? sigh

Mesmer is cool and i played one for a while but it’s not really my thing… and I don’t see how they are superior in dungeon environment or damage-wise.

Ranger vs Engineer

Naldor.7865

While what you said is a noble ideal indeed.

After playing mmorpgs for so long – I have learned each game has certain classes which it favors from start to end.

It’s obvious which classes anet has chosen.

The end result for a ton of player’s is why work twice has hard for less results.

Cause it feels more staisfying being successful with an inferior profession wich you enjoy the most? It’s not like mmorpg are ladders to be climbed

Ranger vs Engineer

Naldor.7865

Anyways, Thank you all, I sticked with my engineer for now ^^ . It was purely based on feel, and I’ll be sure to keep my ranger in perpective when i get bored of all the bombs and nades hehe
Cheers!