[Rant] People are getting ridculous.

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Bomber.3872

Bomber.3872

-Yet naive individuals here will procrastinate on the “value” of the prices. There is no “value”. That’s a subjective emotion you make up for yourself to justify your purchase.

The other stuff you wrote just means that you are willing to pay 50-100$ for nothing… wow! (you wrote that you don’t know what HoT includes…) We now it and it is not worth 50-100$, especially because it is only the revenant class and the masterys + specializations. Everything else is free gw2 core content and is NOT part of HoT.

To the quoted part, wow, just wow. I hope you will at some point get out of your million $ castle (or whatever rich place you live) and go to some poor people or even visiting in africa, china, south america. I would love to see their reactions if you tell them about your view of “value of the prices” for an amount of 50-100$.

IGN: Euer Verderben
[RUC] Riverside United Corps! For Riverside!

Posted by: SkiTz.4590

SkiTz.4590

I Paid 50 bucks for the base game when it released

I have to pay 50 bucks for the xpac… so that must mean I will get an equal amount of content as the base game when it released right???

the answer to that is an emphatic NO judging by what anet has shown us so far regarding HoT…

Only the white knights are just blindly throwing anet 50-100 bucks..for a product that doesnt even have a release window + half the details on content still missing… by all means, if you want to, go ahead, more power to you, but realize anet’s strategy here is to grab as much money as they can, as quick as they can from the overzealous supporters of gw2… majority of the player base will wait it out and see… because there is no logical reason at all to pre order a game that barely has any info regarding the content

Posted by: Morfedel.4165

Morfedel.4165

No Geneaux I wish to make sure i’m getting value for my money. The game isn’t dying the Gemstore has been keeping it quite happily afloat, take a lok at the Q1:15 earnings GW2 is making money. So it’s not like Arenanet requires a donation to keep the game living.

But right now we have a FRACTION of the content GW2 had at launch and only $10 off the base game, this is a problem. Where is that extra cost and value being factored in. It made sense at release for the game cause we where getting a TON of stuff a new world already fleshed out to explore.

We don’t know WHAT we’re fully getting so far ALOT of this content will be coming out before launch even and at the moment 50 USD is not worth the price of the content we know we are getting…

So lets do some simple math here.
If they aren’t struggling for cash and are actually making money through the game, even before the expansion drops.
And we the players are being asked to dump what is essentially 10 usd off the launch price for the main game.

Why does this cost nearly the same as the launch price for a fraction of the orignal content for the game? Are they attempting to cash in on us? Is it simple greed or are they delusional enough that
GW2 is worth the same, content wise as HoT

Understand this and you understand why the playerbase is ticked and confused EVEN MORE SO the vet players.

You don’t KNOW you are getting a fraction of content. You are assuming.

SkiTz.4590

No Geneaux I wish to make sure i’m getting value for my money. The game isn’t dying the Gemstore has been keeping it quite happily afloat, take a lok at the Q1:15 earnings GW2 is making money. So it’s not like Arenanet requires a donation to keep the game living.

But right now we have a FRACTION of the content GW2 had at launch and only $10 off the base game, this is a problem. Where is that extra cost and value being factored in. It made sense at release for the game cause we where getting a TON of stuff a new world already fleshed out to explore.

We don’t know WHAT we’re fully getting so far ALOT of this content will be coming out before launch even and at the moment 50 USD is not worth the price of the content we know we are getting…

So lets do some simple math here.
If they aren’t struggling for cash and are actually making money through the game, even before the expansion drops.
And we the players are being asked to dump what is essentially 10 usd off the launch price for the main game.

Why does this cost nearly the same as the launch price for a fraction of the orignal content for the game? Are they attempting to cash in on us? Is it simple greed or are they delusional enough that
GW2 is worth the same, content wise as HoT

Understand this and you understand why the playerbase is ticked and confused EVEN MORE SO the vet players.

You don’t KNOW you are getting a fraction of content. You are assuming.

Its a safe assumption…
look at the amount of content I got when I initially bought gw2 at 50 bucks…
HoT is costing the same as the price I bought gw2 at… do you see how much more content the base game has than HoT? This price is not justified at all.

Anet can’t even give us a release date or window… god knows when its coming.
They haven’t even released squat in terms of what all content will be added.. Will there be new dungs/fractals/DEs/world bosses/new progression? god knows. Anet doesn’t care to release this information yet but they sure as heck seem ready to get your money first!!

Posted by: Tirien.1326

Tirien.1326

I’ve got to get this off my chest.

-How can some of you look people in the eye and claim Arenanet is not giving you a whole lot of content(HoT specifically) when you haven’t played or experienced everything(and I mean EVERYTHING) that is this expansion offers, hmm? Do any of you have access to some leaked version of the full expansion or w/e? Enough with assumptions and back seat game development. You don’t work for Anet.
-The base expansion is $50. Ok, cool. Historically, most MMO expansions have been about $40-60. So how is this a problem? It’s because people keep equating whatever “value” the game has with games that aren’t even in the same genre: ie every game that doesn’t require an internet connection. They just don’t say it(probably because they dot understand the meaning of their words). Those games(usually) don’t ask for this level of pricing because they don’t have to continue developing content for it. People can continue to play those games well after the publisher and devs have moved on to other projects. MMOs(and MOBAs) don’t get this luxury.
-Yet naive individuals here will procrastinate on the “value” of the prices. There is no “value”. That’s a subjective emotion you make up for yourself to justify your purchase. And there’s nothing wrong with that. However, it holds not one kitten ounce of meaning as far as the quality of the expansion goes. We have reviews/reviewers for that.

The price of reason is steep.

/rant

At least we can still all agree that the real only valid argument here is that the standard edition does not come with a free character slot. As it should, at the minimum for people who bought the game very recently.

Dude, you do realize by your own vocation that’s like someone showing you half of something behind their back and saying “50 bucks and it’s yours” Well can I see the rest of what i’m buying that’s a lot of money to be investing in a few things here and there, can I see if it’s broken, scratched up, can I at least see the details on the item i’m buying?"

So far we know we’re getting two large maps, guild halls and a bunch of gamechanges KEEP IN MIND these changes will not come with HoT but actually be released before hand into the main game.

And yes we do have reviewers for the expansion when it comes out.
“But if you want all those shiny bonuses and stuff we off, throw your lot in with us now, commit and hope it’s what you’re after!”

So in retrospec 2 maps, a class and guild halls ((Which I believe might actually be coming base game as well))

for $50 USD take a step back and re-read what you said and what I have clarified on.

You are a value hunter, and thus waiting for reviews and threads about information after release to make up your own mind if this is indeed worthy of your money or not.
It seems to be the best option for you.

I know it is worth my money, all i can do is look at the amount of gametime this one game has offered me over three years time, and it costed me between 40-50$, so another 50$ is hell yes from me.

If anyone deserves it in the mmorpg desert out there, it’s arenanet.

Posted by: MauricioCezar.2673

MauricioCezar.2673

your 5% claim is bogus, truth is we dont know how big / small HoT is right now.

05% was a typo. I meant to write 25%, just like I did a little below.

What you don’t understand, is that a new brand game is a totally different thing than a expansion. For a expansion they already have pretty much everything done, they just need to"Expand" it.

Don’t get me wrong, I know it takes a lot of work and planning to do all the things we will get in the expansion, but it doesn’t reach even in anywhere in the world close to the big work that it was to build the whole game from zero.

Posted by: Tirien.1326

Tirien.1326

I Paid 50 bucks for the base game when it released

I have to pay 50 bucks for the xpac… so that must mean I will get an equal amount of content as the base game when it released right???

the answer to that is an emphatic NO judging by what anet has shown us so far regarding HoT…

Only the white knights are just blindly throwing anet 50-100 bucks..for a product that doesnt even have a release window + half the details on content still missing… by all means, if you want to, go ahead, more power to you, but realize anet’s strategy here is to grab as much money as they can, as quick as they can from the overzealous supporters of gw2… majority of the player base will wait it out and see… because there is no logical reason at all to pre order a game that barely has any info regarding the content

Yeah. Or they can do just shut it down. So we can move on to another game and not spend any money so they can shut that down too, soon we wont have any game, cause people think everything is free. But it’s not.

I will pre-order it. the amount of time i have played this game for 3 years for the silly price of 50$, all i can say is.. Anet deserves my money. No other mmorpg that i know of that isn’t p2w is this generous.

You either buy it or not. I do think there’s more to HoT than we know of, even if it’s not, 50$ is the least i can do for a game that i think is… Awsome.

Posted by: jihm.2315

jihm.2315

i dont know it seems i was living in another reality all this time
every mmo i played besides this was either pay to win or sub based and i though that what Anet was doing here was cool on payment model
maybe i was wrong lol

action combat made mmos better lol

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

I get no extra character slot. Something that previously ALWAYS was included with n expansion or “new” game when linking the serials. This is just a bad move to make us pay 25 euro extra for a characterslot and some useless title and mini

Wasn’t included with the Guild Wars 1 expansion Eye of the North.

Posted by: punahou.3986

punahou.3986

-How can some of you look people in the eye and claim Arenanet is not giving you a whole lot of content(HoT specifically) when you haven’t played or experienced everything(and I mean EVERYTHING) that is this expansion offers, hmm? Do any of you have access to some leaked version of the full expansion or w/e? Enough with assumptions and back seat game development. You don’t work for Anet.
-The base expansion is $50. Ok, cool. Historically, most MMO expansions have been about $40-60. So how is this a problem? It’s because people keep equating whatever “value” the game has with games that aren’t even in the same genre: ie every game that doesn’t require an internet connection. They just don’t say it(probably because they dot understand the meaning of their words). Those games(usually) don’t ask for this level of pricing because they don’t have to continue developing content for it. People can continue to play those games well after the publisher and devs have moved on to other projects. MMOs(and MOBAs) don’t get this luxury.
-Yet naive individuals here will procrastinate on the “value” of the prices. There is no “value”. That’s a subjective emotion you make up for yourself to justify your purchase. And there’s nothing wrong with that. However, it holds not one kitten ounce of meaning as far as the quality of the expansion goes. We have reviews/reviewers for that.

/rant

At least we can still all agree that the real only valid argument here is that the standard edition does not come with a free character slot. As it should, at the minimum for people who bought the game very recently.

Vayne.8563

Its actually called being objective. We dont even know the full extent of the content HoT carries how can anyone really evaluate value at this point?

Since ArenaNet is asking us to pay the full price of the game, they obviously think we have enough information to evaluate value.

Meanwhile, HONEST developers give people more information before allowing pre-orders, such as, I don’t know, the RELEASE DATE or something?

Anet is putting an item up for sale, with full knowledge that there’s no real reason to buy it now, but some people WANT TO. I bought the game, happy in the knowledge that I have the game. I am relatively sure I’ll have a lot of fun with it and that I’ll get at least 50 hours of entertainment out of it, which is you know, a buck an hour. Not too much for my entertainment.

Anet isn’t really pressuring anyone to buy it, since they haven’t even announced a date for a beta weekend yet.

Calling someone dishonest because you’re feeling pressured to buy something there’s no pressure to buy doesn’t feel honest to me.

SkiTz.4590

I get no extra character slot. Something that previously ALWAYS was included with n expansion or “new” game when linking the serials. This is just a bad move to make us pay 25 euro extra for a characterslot and some useless title and mini

EoN didn’t have any new classes though..Nightfall and factions added 2 slots each time.. probably because they had 2 new classes for each release

If you are going to release a new class in an xpac.. its logical to add a character slot so players can you know….actually try the class?

Not a big deal for me anyways since I can happily delete my necro since that profession is absolute trash tier now lol.. but yea..a char slot should be given if you plan to add a class.. thats just common sense .. not something the community should have to beg for..stupid business decision on anets end here…

(edited by SkiTz.4590)

Vayne.8563

EoN didn’t have any new classes though..Nightfall and factions added 2 slots each time.. probably because they had 2 new classes for each release

If you are going to release a new class in an xpac.. its logical to add a character slot so players can you know….actually try the class?

Not a big deal for me anyways since I can happily delete my necro since that profession is absolute trash tier now lol.. but yea..a char slot should be given if you plan to add a class.. thats just common sense .. not something the community should have to beg for..stupid business decision on anets end here…

Nor did EotN have any PvP, but they still charged $45 for it back then. Each game comes with different stuff, but you can’t have everything.

Posted by: IIvIIozzie.9250

IIvIIozzie.9250

I asgree. I don’t see what the big deal is. The base game is completely free. So now you’ll have two games for the price of one!

SkiTz.4590

Nor did EotN have any PvP, but they still charged $45 for it back then. Each game comes with different stuff, but you can’t have everything.

EoTN was a PvE focused… factions and nightfall did a great job with PvP (3 new game modes, various new maps, etc) already so it was unnecessary….GW1 state of PvP was already awesome and very popular by the time EoTN was rolling out… Can’t say that about GW2’s pvp scene…

I agree you can’t have everything, but there is no logical reason for not adding at least one character slot with a xpac that adds 1 class… other than being greedy and forcing users to buy an extra slot from gem store if they don’t want to delete an alt

I can’t remember any xpac that adds a new class that doesn’t give the buyer at least one additional character slot for free….D3’s xpac came with 2 character slots when they added just 1 new class… Is it really that much to ask for?

Posted by: William Bradley Knight.2609

William Bradley Knight.2609

this xpac is clear worth the $50 price and the core game is free if you don’t like it don’t by it or whine some more see how far the get you!

I will keep whining about it, thank you. I would be content if the expansion was $40, not $50. That’s just too steep for me and I will not be picking it up until it drops.

Frankly, I expected the expansion to be priced “too high.” But that expectation of “too high” was something like $40 including a character slot. I was debating whether I’d buy it at that price, but planned on likely doing so. Pricing it at $50 with no character slot and throwing in a base account only for new players…that just seems insulting. And it isn’t about affordability. I spend more than $50 multiple times per week just going out to lunch or dinner with my family. It’s about relative value and respect for customers. Not only does this not seem like a good value but it seems downright disrespectful to existing customers. It also causes one to wonder if ANet is just going for a last big money grab before folding up the GW2 franchise and moving on to GW3 or whatever the next project is. Very strange and questionable decision. I obviously won’t be pre-purchasing. If HoT gets good reviews and people say it has an unexpectedly large amount of good content and goes down in price after release, maybe I’ll buy it then.

No whining. I will just vote with my wallet.

Posted by: tovadaun.6304

tovadaun.6304

so they made this game casual player game but they want to charge hardcore price makes sense huh?

This comment fills me with more rage than the 1k+ pages of ranting over wanting free character slots because “new players” will get the same 5 slots vet players already have, just not filled yet. More than the rage that’s induced by the “value” of kitten expansion not being worth it, because it will boil down to an hourly amount of game play/$ less than any sub fee for a 1 month period.
How many hours do you have in the Core? what’s the $ value there?
How many hours would you have to play to get “good value” out of $50?
Does it seriously have to be in the $0.05 region for it to have a “good value”?

To have things thrown in our faces such as “we should be ashamed to spend $50-100 on an expansion when there are starving people in Asia or Africa…” Remember that the next time you buy meat. Or coffee (not Starbucks, just Folgers). Or anything that’s more than rice and beans. How about like oh, The Core Game of GW2 that you’ve obviously already bought, as you’re here ranting about it.

So much rage, I’ll probably get a reprimand. I’ll take it. This insanity has gone on long enough. I am ashamed to be a part of this community today. We can’t even keep the threads that have nothing to do with the mad ranting free of that mad ranting.
Just… ridiculous.

Kitta the Conjurer, Guardian- At Your Service- Yak’s Bend
Stuff! Stuffy stuff stuff stuff!!

Posted by: Quarktastic.1027

Quarktastic.1027

How do you procrastinate on the value of prices?

I don’t know but it sure sounds complicated.

I’ll try to figure it out tomorrow….maybe.

Those armadillos would be a lot cooler if they looked more like real armadillos. mmm armadillos
-BnooMaGoo.5690

Posted by: AzureDream.4819

AzureDream.4819

So much rage, I’ll probably get a reprimand. I’ll take it. This insanity has gone on long enough. I am ashamed to be a part of this community today. We can’t even keep the threads that have nothing to do with the mad ranting free of that mad ranting.
Just… ridiculous.

Almost exactly same feelings. My previous post here got deleted, lol. In it I was saying, that $50 or $100 price is perfectly reasonable, and whoever are saying they aren’t, should probably get a job, or something. Don’t know, how it could insult people, though, because it is a fact – such prices are not much nowdays.
And I’m ashamed to see community become like that.

Posted by: Savior.5783

Savior.5783

What you shills don’t understand is that the consumer can choose and complain however they wish.

You are nobody to tell people to stop whining, especially when the reasons are justified.

In 3 years you are getting one profession, some skills in all other professions, and 3 maps. If you think that’s worth $50, you as a consumer are not very bright, no offense.

Posted by: Test.8734

Test.8734

I am relatively sure I’ll have a lot of fun with it and that I’ll get at least 50 hours of entertainment out of it, which is you know, a buck an hour.

And you are sure about that because…? Have you been told how many maps the expansion will have? How big each map will be? How many activities will be there? How many story instances there are in the game?

You don’t know any of those things. You are assuming everything will be bright and happy just because you want to assume everything will be bright and happy.

The matter of fact is – even now, when ArenaNet wants us to pay a very high price for the expansion, when they are asking us to judge how much it’s worth – they still haven’t talked about how much content the expansion will have. Merely the fact they are not using that information to sell the game is a strong hint that no, the game does not have that much content.

Calling someone dishonest because you’re feeling pressured to buy something there’s no pressure to buy doesn’t feel honest to me.

So, are you saying I’m dishonest?

tovadaun.6304

If all I’m able to do is claim a Guild Hall- I’ll have had enough entertainment to justify the cost.
Colin has stated in an interview that the challenges ahead will not be tackled the first time around. I have a very small guild. This means hours of play in just this one task alone, not to mention anything else.
So yes, I’ll get my money’s worth in my opinion and that’s all that matters in the end.

Posted by: Brimstar.9036

Brimstar.9036

The self-entitlement is unreal. All the content they’ve given people over the past 3 years and asking for kitten price for a expansion is COMPLETELY reasonable. Whoever said its not worth the money its ridiculous and get off your high horse. People pay more for a WoW expansion+sub (recurring sub mind you), FFXIV expansion+ sub (recurring sub mind you) and this GAME isn’t even sub. Everyones acting like complete children who can’t dish out $50 dollars for a expansion for a unsub game that is the BEST out there. These people make content for your enjoyment without being greedy for 3 years, now this. In 3 years you would have spent $540 dollars in WoW or FFXIV + w/e their expansions cost. Give me a break.

(edited by Brimstar.9036)

Posted by: quaniesan.8497

quaniesan.8497

/rant

OP: shut up. No one complains whether the price is steep. It’s the fairness for vet players and new people, who both pay the same amount of money but have all access, including all character slots, yet vets couldn’t even get an extra slot. Enough with strawman, now scram!

If ya no longer see me after this post,
it means THEY got me for " neg criticism in clever disguise".
Know that it has been fun and I love ya all.

tovadaun.6304

But you already have those slots! Yours are just full. That’s your fault, not ANet’s or the new player’s. Same with the bank slots. New players aren’t getting more than you. They will be on equal ground.
Is that the problem?

Posted by: xarallei.4279

xarallei.4279

So much crying it’s unbelievable. I bought the physical CE of GW2 almost as soon as it was announced. Been playing since launch. I do not see the issue here. So newbies get the core game, so the hell what? It makes it that much easier for them to just jump in and that’s a GOOD thing for this game. We need new blood.

Now the standard edition not having a slot is a bit weird, that’s something Anet needs to rethink. But other than that, there is no problem here. Already bought my Ultimate.

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

How do you procrastinate on the value of prices?

Do you even read the posts here?

Of course I read the post. That is why I asked the question. No definition of procrastinate works in that sentence. Did you mean prognosticate, or some other word perhaps ? What did you actually mean ?

Posted by: Bellizare.5816

Bellizare.5816

If you think that this is ridiculous, tune in after the big patch on the 23rd. Guessing that there will be some forum rage and rants that will knock this issue out of contention.

Posted by: Geneaux.9547

Geneaux.9547

OP: shut up. No one complains whether the price is steep. It’s the fairness for vet players and new people, who both pay the same amount of money but have all access, including all character slots, yet vets couldn’t even get an extra slot. Enough with strawman, now scram!

Get off your high horse. $$$ price the only why this discussion exists in the first place.

“Man this jungle in the expansion better look so good it gives me flashbacks to Nam.”
Server: Dragonbrand
Guild: Knights of Ares [ARES]

Posted by: ImTasty.2163

ImTasty.2163

/rant

I almost completely agree with you OP. I will agree that value is subjective. For me, a person who has been playing since the release of proph, just the announcement of an expansion was enough for me to buy. Of course for me this comes from years of experience with Anet. I’ve yet to be disappointed with what has been released. Until that day comes I trust Anet.

As for the whole “no extra character slot” argument, I do not agree. Ever since Proph if you wanted to have at least one of each class you would have to drop cash. Coming from someone who has been here since the start, I do not expect additional character slots from expansions because, before this one, there were no additional character slots added with the expansion. Then again, I was not expecting more than what Anet has done historically, I just expected the same, which we got.

Posted by: Galen Grey.4709

Galen Grey.4709

I will look you straight in the eye and tell you that given the combination of the track record of anet’s “content” and what they’ve shown us of the expansion, that asking for 50$ is hilariously laughable.

This is really proposturous they’ve released free content every single month for 3 years, for a big chunk of time every 2 weeks while working on an expansion, which other company does that? It always 2 – 3 releases of small content while waiting 1-2 years for an expansion and we’re using that to claim anet content release is dodgy? Even worst using that against them so that the one time they as for money we try to make it sound like we should pay them less? I guess whoever invented the saying no good deed goes unpunshed was absolutely right. If they had left us starving for content for 2 – 3 years we would have considered them to be MORE productive then if they spend 2 – 3 years releasing content ever month / 2 weeks. Unbelievable!

Galen Grey.4709

your 5% claim is bogus, truth is we dont know how big / small HoT is right now.

05% was a typo. I meant to write 25%, just like I did a little below.

What you don’t understand, is that a new brand game is a totally different thing than a expansion. For a expansion they already have pretty much everything done, they just need to"Expand" it.

Don’t get me wrong, I know it takes a lot of work and planning to do all the things we will get in the expansion, but it doesn’t reach even in anywhere in the world close to the big work that it was to build the whole game from zero.

you’re right you did quote 25% later on apologies for the misundertanding.

yes and no.. Yes they do have most of the development ready though naturally there will still be changes to that in order to release new features but obviously it will take less time to implement those then starting from scratch.

Its also no though because art assets, story, voice acting, texturing, world building etc.. has to essentially start from scratch. I very much doubt they’re going to use existing assets. Development and art creation goes on in parallel so at the end of the day it will not be much faster creating new maps in an existing game then it will be on a new map if faster at all.

With that in mind it is also important to factor in some other elements mainly that they had 5 years to create the base game, around 2 – 3 years to create the expansion. They had all the team focused on creating the game those 5 years while post launch their teams got highly fractured… maintance, pvp, living story, porting to chinese, holiday events etc.. Simply speaking it is unrealistic to expect an expansion to be as big as the core game. They had less time to work on it with less people.

Posted by: Crossaber.8934

Crossaber.8934

I will explain you why:

Core game = 25 Complete maps, with at least 2500+ events, plus a full story, complete brand build mechanids of gameplay, 8 professions, 5 races and etc, etc, etc..

Expansions represent in the most, 25% of the total ammounf of the core game (And take in count that they don’t need to rebuild the game whole again. Just “Expand” it).

So, how in the world is fair pay the same price of the core game, for 25% extra of it?

the 25 maps came with the core is focused on leveling experience, how many times you’ve revisit those below 80 map for fun after hitting lv80 i bet you can count with both hands’ fingers. I have played SW for many months and still think it is best designed and fun (to me).

If HoT make 3 huge maps that gather around people to do meta events like silverwaste and players are actually able to have fun for another couple months. Which imo is much much better than the 25 maps that came along with core.

Don’t you remember how many players claimed nothing to do after 1 week from launch upon hitting lv80? HoT map sizes are made for lv80 to play, too many maps will spread the player base per map thin while the 25 maps from core game are for leveling which their replayability is extremely low.

They both serve different purposes actually.

It will worth every penny if the 3 maps are as joyful as silverwaste then 20+ queensdale, period.

(edited by Crossaber.8934)

Galen Grey.4709

I am relatively sure I’ll have a lot of fun with it and that I’ll get at least 50 hours of entertainment out of it, which is you know, a buck an hour.

And you are sure about that because…? Have you been told how many maps the expansion will have? How big each map will be? How many activities will be there? How many story instances there are in the game?

You don’t know any of those things. You are assuming everything will be bright and happy just because you want to assume everything will be bright and happy.

I cant answer for Vayne but for me I would be happy to pay $50 every 3 years if they release a map the size of cragstead as an expansion and keep doing what they have done the past 3 years. I may be in the minority perhaps, who knows, but I loved what they did with the living world. New stories and content to enjoy every 2 weeks alone is worth more then $17 a year. of course its going to be much more then a small cragstead map. We know for sure there is going to be 1 large map from the beta. The Guild halls reveal also clearly stated that the 2 guild halls are far apart, one in the northwest of the jungle the other is under the Forgotten Golden City. It also revealed that to get access to these guild halls you need to clear out objectives in their adjecent maps. This alone suggests a minimum of 3 maps not counting the guild hall maps themselves. Of course we know there are 3 biomes and somehow I doubt it will be a single map per biome but anyway thats all we know for sure. All that together for me is worth way more then $50 so much so I got the ultimate edition

Posted by: aspirine.6852

aspirine.6852

I will explain you why:

Core game = 25 Complete maps, with at least 2500+ events, plus a full story, complete brand build mechanids of gameplay, 8 professions, 5 races and etc, etc, etc..

Expansions represent in the most, 25% of the total ammounf of the core game (And take in count that they don’t need to rebuild the game whole again. Just “Expand” it).

So, how in the world is fair pay the same price of the core game, for 25% extra of it?

the 25 maps came with the core is focused on leveling experience, how many times you’ve revisit those below 80 map for fun after hitting lv80 i bet you can count with both hands’ fingers. I have played SW for many months and still think it is best designed and fun (to me).

If HoT make 3 huge maps that gather around people to do meta events like SW and players are actually able to have fun for another couple months. Which imo is much much better than the 25 maps that came along with core.

Don’t you remember how many players claimed nothing to do after 1 week from launch upon hitting lv80? HoT map sizes are made for lv80 to play, too many maps will spread the player base per map thin while the 25 maps from core game are for leveling which their replayability is extremely low.

The both serve different purpose really.

It will worth every penny if the 3 maps are as joyful kitten then 20+ queensdale, period.

Well here is why you are wrong. The previous expansion for gw1 was also very fun to do with a fully leveled char. It was just as big if not bigger than the core game and introduced some of the best elite areas in the game.
With a map about 25% of the original game this would be the saddest expansion in the history of expansions imo

Vayne.8563

The matter of fact is – even now, when ArenaNet wants us to pay a very high price for the expansion, when they are asking us to judge how much it’s worth – they still haven’t talked about how much content the expansion will have. Merely the fact they are not using that information to sell the game is a strong hint that no, the game does not have that much content.

So, are you saying I’m dishonest?

I didn’t say you were dishonest. sorry if you inferred that. Something can feel dishonest and still be honest. You come off, to me as disingenuous, but that doesn’t make you dishonest. Just as Anet comes off as dishonest to you but it doesn’t make it so.

As for me knowing I’ll get 50 hours out of it, that’s easy to answer. I now know about Guild Halls and those will take time for me to build up. I know about masteries and those will take me time to unlock. Will I get 50 hours out of that. I guarantee you it’ll be more than 50 hours before I unlock all the masteries on a single character.

The SILVERWASTES kept me busy for more than 50 hours, so yes, I’m sure I’ll get more than 50 hours out of HoT.

Crossaber.8934

I will explain you why:

If HoT make 3 huge maps that gather around people to do meta events like SW and players are actually able to have fun for another couple months. Which imo is much much better than the 25 maps that came along with core.

The both serve different purpose really.

It will worth every penny if the 3 maps are as joyful kitten then 20+ queensdale, period.

Well here is why you are wrong. The previous expansion for gw1 was also very fun to do with a fully leveled char. It was just as big if not bigger than the core game and introduced some of the best elite areas in the game.
With a map about 25% of the original game this would be the saddest expansion in the history of expansions imo

Well, this is how you are wrong, i enjoy so much of GW1, therefore i own all GW1 except North of the eye.

I hated GW2 before actually trying but later i found GW2 is much more fun to me than all the GW1 + expansion together. And I actually enjoy all the living story and how they’ve testing their “replayable” lv80 map execution. These maps are well thought and require much much more resources to create.

It is how i value my money invested. Entertainment, login, join a map, play one hour or two, logout. To be honest, I play a lot of other games along with GW1; now i only spend time with GW2.

Posted by: DonQuack.9025

DonQuack.9025

I dont know how people can manage more than 10+ hours in silverwastes/dry top. My eyes bleed. I literally switch the game to windowed and play crusader kings 2. Alt tabbing whenever the noise dies down.

Concerns about HoT pre-order? Check here!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Am9gVQB8gss

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

I’m going to wait till I know more.

When I prebought Guild Wars 2, I was able to base my expectations on the picture below as well as information given. Where is the picture of the maps of the HoT so I can at least have some idea of the size of it?

Attachments:

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Crossaber.8934

When I prebought Guild Wars 2, I was able to base my expectations on the picture below as well as information given. Where is the picture of the maps of the HoT so I can at least have some idea of the size of it?

yes, you can wait and see.

But for veteran players, we are all lv80, what is the point of getting lv1-79 maps?

And what is the point of getting 20+ lv80 maps if mapping is the only purpose?

Entertainment is what we are looking for in a game, i rather only couple of maps that still give me fun even replay for several months than 20+ maps that only entertain me for a week or so.

Posted by: phys.7689

phys.7689

The self-entitlement is unreal. All the content they’ve given people over the past 3 years and asking for kitten price for a expansion is COMPLETELY reasonable. Whoever said its not worth the money its ridiculous and get off your high horse. People pay more for a WoW expansion+sub (recurring sub mind you), FFXIV expansion+ sub (recurring sub mind you) and this GAME isn’t even sub. Everyones acting like complete children who can’t dish out $50 dollars for a expansion for a unsub game that is the BEST out there. These people make content for your enjoyment without being greedy for 3 years, now this. In 3 years you would have spent $540 dollars in WoW or FFXIV + w/e their expansions cost. Give me a break.

considering the sub cost in this comparison makes no sense. You pay a sub for access to the game. Paying that sub in FFXIV means that i dont have to buy charchtet slots, have full access to gears, convience items, past stories i missed etc.
Sub is payed whether you get expansion or not.

the question is how much MORE do you pay than whatever you normally pay to play the expansion content.
in the case of gw2, your pay 50 dollars + 10 dollars for a charchter slot
in case of ffxiv you pay 40 dollars

thats a base difference of 25% more cost without a slot, and 50% more cost with a slot. Thats not really a small mark up.

Posted by: phys.7689

phys.7689

But for veteran players, we are all lv80, what is the point of getting lv1-79 maps?

Entertainment is what we are looking for in a game, i rather only couple of maps that still give me fun even replay for several months than 20+ maps that only entertain me for a week or so.

uh why not get 20 maps that give you fun replay for several months. especially since the main difference for you is whether its a level 80 map or not.

Posted by: Nerzmuth.7804

Nerzmuth.7804

/rant

Wow’s expansion from 35$ basic version and brings you all the previous versions of the game, don’t tell me that 50$ it’s a good price for something half shown in a game that was left aside by devs since the expansion’s announcement.

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

I found a picture of the Verdent Brinks. Silverwastes and Dry Top are by it and Brisbane us on the far right. So, now I’m getting some idea of size.

There are an unknown number of maps with an unknown amount of events per map, so it’s only a start to what I would like to know before I put down my 50 dollars.

Attachments:

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Crossaber.8934

uh why not get 20 maps that give you fun replay for several months. especially since the main difference for you is whether its a level 80 map or not.

If there are 20 maps that give me fun replay for several months, i will happily take it. But i am sure if there are 20 maps as good as silver waste and dry top, it won’t just cost $50.

Do you know how much time and effect to create 20 well designed map? How much time needed for debug and testing? Do you remember how long we’ve wait GW2 to launch?

The contents we get from core GW2 is huge, but the replayability is weak thats why people complain they’ve got nothing to do.

Of coz i wants more maps, and more map mode diversity to choose from, but i am also prefer quality over quantity. I am not Anet, i cannot control what’s contain in HoT. If HoT is what they can offer now, i will take it and evaluate it AFTER i tried it, not before.

I take it because i believe what GW2 and Anet was able to delivery me, great entertainment for 2.5 years. I bought the xpac to support my beloved game, if the xpac is not worth my money after all, i just invest my money else where in the future, it is so sample as is.

(edited by Crossaber.8934)

Posted by: Manuhell.2759

Manuhell.2759

I asgree. I don’t see what the big deal is. The base game is completely free. So now you’ll have two games for the price of one!

That’s only if you do a new account.
An already existing one will have just the expansion. Even if they both bought HoT at the same exact time and price.
It would have made sense if already existing accounts got a code for the core game as well when they bought the expansion, but it doesn’t work like that.