(Rant) Stop adding random reward chests!

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Treeline.3865

Treeline.3865

For sure I’m not the only collector type of player in this game.
At halloween it was Black Lion / Mad King chests with the VERY rare Item Skins.
Now we get new chests with MORE rare skins and VERY rare minipets.

I’m not normally one to complain, but could you guys at Arenanet PLEASE be less greedy?

I’m quite ok with buying things at the gemstore. But this is too much. A lot of players like to collect things like minipets. You are making that impossible, by forcing us to spend who knows how many gems to get them, because it is left to chance.

I hold nothing against the Gemstore, it’s an excellent idea. But make the items feasible! A bit of random chance is ok. Adding something “very rare” and very expensive is not the way to do it. But ok, i ate that one, and read further down the patchnotes;

The chests are only available for a limited time. NO. Just. NO! If you want us to pay a kittenload of our hard-earnt real-life cash, you give us the time we need.

I love your game and everything about it. But you are beginning to act in the way that shuts down all F2P games – “You want this? – Ok, but you’re going to pay me for it!”.

Please tell me I’m not the only one who feels like this?

Leader of Heroes [Hero] – Seafarers Rest

Posted by: DenverRalphy.4185

DenverRalphy.4185

You can also get chests from the Mystic Forge. You don’t have to buy them.

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Consortium_chest

Posted by: ArcTheFallen.7682

ArcTheFallen.7682

And I think it was said most things in the chest can be made/found through other means.

[VZ] Sky Avalon – Guardian (Main)
Master of all Professions
sPvP Rank Dragon – 8 Champ Titles – Ruby Division

Posted by: munkiman.3068

munkiman.3068

Right this second it’s actually cheaper to craft them in the forge anyway… Just saying. I wish people did a tiny bit of research before they come on here and rant. They even posted in the patch notes everything about the chests and how the items in there drop off mobs too.

[TAO] Founder/Owner and Administrator for the NSP Server Website

Posted by: Feycat.4370

Feycat.4370

They need to add REAL things to buy from the store instead of just lottery after lottery.

We need more townclothes! We need more armor skins! We want housing and housing items! I would love to see more emotes in, and I’d buy ’em!

What’s the point of having a buy-to-play game where COSMETICS are supposed to be the grind when there’s very few cosmetics in the game??

Game enjoyment increases as time spent on the forums decreases.

Treeline.3865

From your Wiki page:

Gem Store: 250 gems each or 10 Units for 1800 Gems.
Mystic Forge: using one of the following recipes
3 island skins (e.g. shoulders), 1 passion flower, 1 passion fruit, and 1 karka shell
A set of mask or shoulder skins (1 light, 1 medium, one heavy) and 1 karka shell.

Can we agree that even the Mystic Forge recipes for the chest contain items FROM the chest itself?

It’s just their way of “Oh you couldn’t use the last 5 chests for anything? You can have another go, if you give us back all the skins you got”.

I usually do research. My rant is only due to that research, but I entirely skipped the line with the chest being a rare drop too. That was my fault.

I’m still nowhere near a fan of having a “rare drop” chest with a “very rare” chance of getting a mini from that “rare” chest.

Say that rare is 1/50 monsters dropping chests. Say that “very rare” mini means 1/100. That’s 5.000 kills to get 1 of the minipets. Niiiice.

Posted by: cherrie.8907

cherrie.8907

What can I say… GW2 Monetization Director is an ex-Nexon employee who previously worked on Maple Story so don’t expect GW1 store model (despite ANet promising it willstay mostly the same). Expect worst of the worst korean grinder models to creep into the game, especially now that NCSoft is on 50-week low and they will desperately try to push on for money.
Oh wait it’s already happened.

“Otherwise, your MMO becomes all about grinding to get the best gear. We don’t make grindy games.”
-Mike Obrien
“We don’t need to make mandatory gear treadmills” -Colin Johanson

Treeline.3865

What can I say… GW2 Monetization Director is an ex-Nexon employee who previously worked on Maple Story so don’t expect GW1 store model (despite ANet promising it willstay mostly the same). Expect worst of the worst korean grinder models to creep into the game, especially now that NCSoft is on 50-week low and they will desperately try to push on for money.
Oh wait it’s already happened.

I’m normally the one to downvote these posts into oblivion, but I’m beginning to feel there’s some truth to it. :/

Posted by: DenverRalphy.4185

DenverRalphy.4185

From your Wiki page:

Gem Store: 250 gems each or 10 Units for 1800 Gems.
Mystic Forge: using one of the following recipes
3 island skins (e.g. shoulders), 1 passion flower, 1 passion fruit, and 1 karka shell
A set of mask or shoulder skins (1 light, 1 medium, one heavy) and 1 karka shell.

Can we agree that even the Mystic Forge recipes for the chest contain items FROM the chest itself?

Sure, you can get those ingredients from the chest itself. But they’re also world drops once the event goes live. So you don’t need to buy chests to get the mats to make them in the forge. And along your same line of logic, get world drops, craft the chests in the forge, and get materials back to make more chests, all without having to spend a single gem on them.

Posted by: munkiman.3068

munkiman.3068

Wow. You seriously can’t complain based on the course of action they took after Halloween. Also, give them some kitten time to make stuff to put in the store. geesh…

[TAO] Founder/Owner and Administrator for the NSP Server Website

Posted by: Ponzu.4570

Ponzu.4570

just got around 20 chests,no rares…all greens

lvl80 sylavari Engineer
Crystal Desert

Posted by: Nevermore.5487

Nevermore.5487

Do they hold the gun on your head and force you to buy stupid chests?

Treeline.3865

Wow. You seriously can’t complain based on the course of action they took after Halloween. Also, give them some kitten time to make stuff to put in the store. geesh…

Why can I not complain?
And as I stated in my first post, I have NOTHING against the gemstore. But if you buy things for your real life cash, is it too much to ask to actually know what you get for your money? Even from their perspective, I’m not sure the make more money this way. If I could go right in and buy the new minipets and skins, I’d probably do so. But with the “very rare” chance of getting them even if you pay in gems, I honestly don’t feel like buying anything.

And no, I don’t feel self-entitled, I just want it to be feasible that if you want item X you have to do Y to do it. But I can’t buy for 500$ chests and know I will have for example all the minipets. That’s a problem to me.

Posted by: Pustulio.8207

Pustulio.8207

@OP

I think they said anything that you can get in the chests, you can get from drops while running around in the “Sea Of Sorrows” area, and the dungeon.

Posted by: Magiofdeath.2745

Magiofdeath.2745

So the island skins are available without buying chests? I ask because the mystic forge recipe requires the island skins.

Fort Aspenwood | Kurzick ftw!

Treeline.3865

Do they hold the gun on your head and force you to buy stupid chests?

You aren’t even reading what I’m arguing.

I’d kittening LOVE to buy some chests, no need for your guns. But I’d also like to know that if I buy a decent amount, I’d have the new stuff, instead of this 0.1% or whatever it is chance to get the items I want. It’s that you can’t be certain to get something by playing or buying. You can either grind your kitten off to get chests, or buy for who knows how much cash worth in chests, and still not be sure to get anything. I don’t find that’s ok.

Please read instead of being pissed off that someone argue whether something is a good idea.

Treeline.3865

@OP

I think they said anything that you can get in the chests, you can get from drops while running around in the “Sea Of Sorrows” area, and the dungeon.

If you have a source for this (And not just that chests drops rarely) i’d love to have it

Posted by: Tosha Daydreamer.9251

Tosha Daydreamer.9251

@OP

If you have a source for this (And not just that chests drops rarely) i’d love to have it

“All the items found in the Consortium Chest can also be obtained as rare drops from any creature from the new Lost Shores event.”

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/info/news/Game-Update-Notes-November-15-2012/first#post750605

Posted by: Pustulio.8207

Pustulio.8207

@OP

“All the items found in the Consortium Chest can also be obtained as rare drops from any creature from the new Lost Shores event.”

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/info/news/Game-Update-Notes-November-15-2012/first#post750605

Beat me to it!! LOL

Treeline.3865

Thank you for that. Them patch notes too long. This thread may be locked, my premises were wrong. Thanks to all who settled me a bit down q:

Posted by: vox.5019

vox.5019

ANet is owned by the Korean F2P industry now, these gambling addiction items are never going away, get used to it.

This industry just needs to move on. We’ve seen a bunch of “WoW 2.0” attempts, and
who actually wants that? Do we really want to be playing those same game mechanics for
another 5 or 10 years? -Mike O’Brien