Re: A Fresh Start: The New Player Experience

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Mel.8769

Mel.8769

In reference to the article “A Fresh Start: The New Player Experience in Guild Wars 2” found here: https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/a-fresh-start-the-new-player-experience-in-guild-wars-2/

As part of the addition of the level-up guide, we’ve reevaluated the item rewards you gain for leveling and made them more exciting, relevant, and useful items. We won’t be able to retroactively give these rewards to existing level 80 characters

We’ve done some pretty major overhauls to make the rewards for completing chapters feel much more compelling than they were in the past. Personal story chapters will absolutely be worth completing for your character as you progress. Similar to level-up rewards, we won’t be able to retroactively apply these to current level 80 characters

I feel like they are giving us loyal vets who have been with the game since the beginning, have not taken long vacations, and have leveled many toons (and even purchased extra character slots) the big ol’ one finger salute.

I understand not being about to give every 80 in the game a boatload of goodies, as we did get some sort of reward the first go around, but at least give us something for being a loyal customer. I’m not talking about a crafted ascended backpiece that takes a month to craft, requires hours and hours of farming and events, and is super expensive and complicated to make.

When it comes down to it most of us vets are similar to Skritt, give us something shiny (with no strings attached) every once in a while and we’re pretty happy.

Common sense is a flower that doesn’t grow in everyone’s garden. -Unknown

Posted by: Relshdan.6854

Relshdan.6854

I understand not being about to give every 80 in the game a boatload of goodies, as we did get some sort of reward the first go around, but at least give us something for being a loyal customer. I’m not talking about a crafted ascended backpiece that takes a month to craft, requires hours and hours of farming and events, and is super expensive and complicated to make.

When it comes down to it most of us vets are similar to Skritt, give us something shiny (with no strings attached) every once in a while and we’re pretty happy.

this vet since beta strongly disagrees.
i want to more “maudrey crafting”……but on weapons and armor. the process to craft the maudrey back piece requires one to do nearly every aspect of PvE play…….this is EXACTLY how they should introduce more new weapon/armor skins….and implement precursor crafting.

Chaos Organ (Ele), Pistol Opera (Thief), Modular Man (Eng)
MARA (EU) Gunnar’s Hold

Posted by: laokoko.7403

laokoko.7403

I’m not sure what awson rewards Anet is given to new players. Some assasin’s crest, mining pick, 80 copper gem, bind on pickup green/rare which salvage into 3 silver materials…

Dont’ worry, it’s not that much.

Posted by: Lheimroo.2947

Lheimroo.2947

Guild wars 2: New Game Experience.

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

OP, by the time a new person starts an MMO, they’re so so far behind, there’s no amount of rewards they could get that could catch them up.

And as an experienced player you can make a new character and get the rewards yourself. That’s a choice.

Nothing to see here folks. Move along.

Posted by: Malkavian.4516

Malkavian.4516

I don’t see anything bad about it. Newbies get some easy rewards but if they want the juiciest ones, they’ll need to work for it.

FOR SKYRIM!!!!!

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

It would have been nice to get retroactive rewards, but yeah, I don’t think us veterans are really missing out on much.

Posted by: Neve.7134

Neve.7134

I don’t really think that a bunch or 1-2s pieces of armor/weapon (maybe, we still don’t know), could change something to a Veteran player.
And that’s the fact. You don’t even know yet what they’re gonna have for rewards, so thos thread has no sense.

Posted by: Labjax.2465

Labjax.2465

this vet since beta strongly disagrees.
i want to more “maudrey crafting”……but on weapons and armor. the process to craft the maudrey back piece requires one to do nearly every aspect of PvE play…….this is EXACTLY how they should introduce more new weapon/armor skins….and implement precursor crafting.

I cannot agree with this with the bad taste that Mawdrey left in my mouth. I strongly believe that the reward should be about equivalent to the effort. For precursors, something Mawdrey-like might be ok – their upgraded part (legendaries) are possibly the most sought-after item in the entire game.

For normal items, I don’t care if it’s pink, purple, or gold, it shouldn’t be requiring an absurd amount of effort. And by effort, I mostly mean mindless time/gold sinks. Because that’s what Mawdrey essentially is.

And it’s what ascended crafting essentially is too.

It’s not a “fun” system. And I’m not going to feel like I earned anything if I sink months of time and gold into getting such items. I’m just going to feel like the most duped moron on the planet for thinking it was worth it.

I have put effort into getting gear before in other games. Effort like raiding 4-5 nights a week and passing on loot 90% of the time for other people. That’s effort. And when I finally got an upgrade, I didn’t feel like I had crossed a finish line; I just felt like here was my cake – working with other people to kill a boss – and now here is the frosting, something fancy for my toon.

I love good crafting systems and I’m thoroughly disappointed when crafting professions are essentially useless at max level. But I also want to play the game to have fun. And I refuse to try to squeeze fun out of grueling time-gated processes just for the sole reward of a few extra stat points, so that Lumbergh’s stock goes up one extra point.

Bob, Bob, see, it’s just a problem of motivation.

Or words to that effect.

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

Agreed, nothing to see here but another entitlement request such as pop up anytime ANet adds something that a player thinks, “Hey, this isn’t for me! That’s wrong!”

Posted by: Sunshine.4680

Sunshine.4680

Ascended crafting is just tedious, I don’t know who enjoys that. Some parts are easy to get but it just feels like a whole lot of effort and gold for something barely worth it.

Malkavian.4516

@Sunshine, I do like to craft me an ascended item every now and then.

@Labjax By reward should be equivalent to the effort, it should also come down to: “do you want this item?” If yes, then work for butt off for it. If no, then what’s the problem?

FOR SKYRIM!!!!!

Posted by: Sarrs.4831

Sarrs.4831

When they buffed dungeon gold rewards, did people go “I’ve run CoF a thousand times! You should give me a thousand gold!”?

If you want new rewards from old content, do it again. If you want a new reward from an old dungeon, do it again. If you want a new reward from levelling, do it again.

Nalhadia – Kaineng

Labjax.2465

@Labjax By reward should be equivalent to the effort, it should also come down to: “do you want this item?” If yes, then work for butt off for it. If no, then what’s the problem?

That’s just the thing tho, bro. Items should never ever be the end goal. Look at any game throughout history. I mean, do professional basketball players play tournaments for the trophy? Do baseball players play solely so that they can win the world series? God, no.

People play games because it’s fun and for the challenge and so on and so forth. Winning the trophy is a cool way to reward those who go the extra mile, but doing a laundry list of tedious and repetitive tasks is about as “going the extra mile” as folding your sheets over and over for no apparent reason, other than to get a gold-plated.. sheet.. trophy.

Or words to that effect.

Posted by: Zackie.8923

Zackie.8923

is it too much to ask for a lvl 80 scroll? its the 2nd birthday, 2 years for goodness sake. i can get 20 levels in 1 day.

Malkavian.4516

It’s true people play games for the fun of it. But there are different gamers out there and considering this is an MMO, there are different things to do to achieve that fun. People craft different things to make their characters look appealing and there are those who just enjoy the journey behind the crafting process. Others just wanna play PvP to improve their skills. Some just wanna finish the story and enjoy what the game has to offer it. Bottom line, if you don’t want to make something because you think it’s a waste of time and resources, then simply do something else that you think is worth it.

FOR SKYRIM!!!!!

(edited by Malkavian.4516)

Labjax.2465

It’s true people play games for the fun of it. But there are different gamers out there and considering this is an MMO, there are different things to do to achieve that fun. People craft different things to make their characters look appealing. Others just wanna play PvP to improve their skills. Some just wanna finish the story and enjoy what the game has to offer it. Bottom line, if you don’t want to make something because you think it’s a waste of time and resources, then simply do something else that you think is worth it.

No no, you misunderstand. I can’t just ignore it, the same way I can’t ignore it if I’m eating cake and someone keeps bringing in new kinds of icing. I want to try the new icing because it looks delicious, but I want to try it with my kitten cake, not be forced to go through a tedious process to eat it on its own. Capisce?

Or words to that effect.

Malkavian.4516

I just can’t picture that scenario in real life, man. I think the more appropriate scenario is if you are having trouble ignoring it, best approach to handle this is similar to shopping for something you want. Ask yourself these questions:

1. Do you want this backpiece?
My answer: Yes

2. Why do you want this backpiece?
My answer: Because I thought it would compliment the motif I have for my Human Necromancer. Or perhaps it would make my Sylvari Mesmer all the more interesting with a living plant stuck to his back.

If your reasons are solid enough, then go for it. If they are not solid enough for you, then ignoring them should be a little easy for you. It’s not like you see every character in the game wearing them anyway like the next fad.

FOR SKYRIM!!!!!

Posted by: daimasei.4091

daimasei.4091

As a vet player of ArenaNet games I tell you: GET USED TO IT!

I love the changes, but I can understand what are you saying.

The thing is, ArenaNet always do this kind of moves (and they aren’t the only ones), you may hate them or love them but this is not going to change. At this point they aren’t asking for our opinion, just inform us about what’s coming.

Why fix the Necromancer for free when we can charge $$$ for the Revenant
-ArenaNet

Labjax.2465

I am thinking more of Mawdrey with that analogy than ascended items. Mawdrey was dangled/advertised in our faces as part of Dragon’s Reach and we were handed components for it through the story, then faced with the mindless repetition, i.e. “here’s a tube and a cap for free, now if you do all this mindless other stuff, we’ll give you some icing to put in the tube.”

Very strange.

Or words to that effect.

Posted by: steveway.3167

steveway.3167

I don’t see the problem with this announcement. It doesn’t negatively affect vets and will help new players who feel they have to get to level 80 quickly to experience the game. How is that a problem? The rewards for each level will probably not be significant to a long term player (vet) but will help lower level players feel like they achieved something.