Re: Kitten

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Muusic.2967

Muusic.2967

Specifically related to this game in so far as I have seen it used the term “Kitten” seems to have become a GW2 exclusive slang word. Not knowing the origins or real definition of the word I am wondering if anyone could enlighten me as to it’s meaning and possibly how it became to be used.

The word does not exist in the urban dictionary and I am preparing to submit it for consideration so any input would be greatly appreciated in order to clarify the definition and it’s specific relation to GW2 forums.

I feel this post is on topic with this game because I have only found it in GW2 forums however if it is against the TOS to post this request please accept my apology in advance.

Be who you are and say what you feel for those who mind dont matter and those who matter dont mind
~Dr. Seuss

Posted by: TheDaiBish.9735

TheDaiBish.9735

‘Kitten’ is basically the word that is used by the profanity filter to replace the banned word.

Why was it used? Haven’t a clue.

Life is a journey.
Time is a river.
The door is ajar.

Posted by: Lilith Ajit.6173

Lilith Ajit.6173

The forum has a profanity filter which substitutes swears and slurs with “kitten”. When you see someone say “kitten” it means either a. They swore or b. They intentionally wrote kitten in place of a swear.

[ARES]
And all who stood by and did nothing, who are they to criticize the sacrifices of others?
Our blood has bought their lives.

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

Or c, they used two non-swear words, but because the filter looks for attempts to bypass the filter using things like spaces, so you get things like

Thakittens damage

instead of

that
its
damage…

Posted by: laokoko.7403

laokoko.7403

But if kitten is official a “bad cursed” word. We should find another word to replace it for censorship.

Since I find the word kitten really inappropriate.

Posted by: Hybarf Tics.2048

Hybarf Tics.2048

In the words of Battlestar Galactica’s actors, for me what comes to mind is frak.

Posted by: ozmaniandevil.6805

ozmaniandevil.6805

I like the use of kitten as a profanity replacement. It’s lighthearted and can take the bite or sting out of anything. I use it now in my daily life as my own profanity filter. I work in an accounting office, so profanity is something I can never use. Does raise eyebrows though when I say “kitteny kitten!” when I’m upset!

Isle of Janthir – Knights of the Rose (KoR)

Posted by: Astral Projections.7320

Astral Projections.7320

But if kitten is official a “bad cursed” word. We should find another word to replace it for censorship.

Who is this “we”? It’s ANet’s forum and ANet’s automatic forum filter.

You can always make a suggestion thread as to a replacement word, where it will be ignored by ANet and slide off the front page after a handful of posts.

Posted by: Leo Paul.1659

Leo Paul.1659

Why? Coz I’m a kitten and I find it offensive? :/

Queen Of The Moors (Blackgate)
Deaths Fear [Fear] / The Hardcore Caravan [HC]
Forum Warrior: Black Belt in Ninja Edits

Posted by: Kain Francois.4328

Kain Francois.4328

Kittens make cussing cute. Got a problem? kitten?

Muusic.2967

Thanks for the clarification on this, don’t think it’s something to put in the urban dictionary but it does have an interesting origin.

Be who you are and say what you feel for those who mind dont matter and those who matter dont mind
~Dr. Seuss

Posted by: laokoko.7403

laokoko.7403

Who is this “we”? It’s ANet’s forum and ANet’s automatic forum filter.

You can always make a suggestion thread as to a replacement word, where it will be ignored by ANet and slide off the front page after a handful of posts.

Since Kitten have officially become a cursed word in the GW2 community. I think it is only right for Anet to filter it.

Posted by: Zalyn.9534

Zalyn.9534

When I first started reading the forums, I thought it was cute how the whole community had seemed to take to using “kitten” as the default swear word like “frak.” Then I discovered it wasn’t a choice. All hail our Kittening KittenKitten OverKittens!

Posted by: Fafnir.5124

Fafnir.5124

I wonder if this counts as Char Racism or is just a trait of Char that they are very confrontational.

Posted by: Asgaeroth.6427

Asgaeroth.6427

i actually type kitten where i know the word will be replaced by kitten

Posted by: Hybrid.7059

Hybrid.7059

This thread is full of kitten!

Posted by: Terrorsquad.2349

Terrorsquad.2349

“Kitten” is Dutch for young cat.. Always makes me giggle when I see it

Denied | 5.9k PvP Games | PvP Rank: 236 | 8.6k hours | 9 Legendaries | Still Bad.

Posted by: Apex Predator.3475

Apex Predator.3475

Anet won’t give a kitten about replacing the word because they don’t have any kittens left to give!

Posted by: KarateKid.5648

KarateKid.5648

Thanks for the clarification on this, don’t think it’s something to put in the urban dictionary but it does have an interesting origin.

I dunno…

In DDO, a huge part of the player community got miffed at Turbine for some serial bug-creating they did for about a year and created the “Turbined” entry (language NSFW, btw).

Lilith Ajit.6173

Also english for young (baby) cat.

[ARES]
And all who stood by and did nothing, who are they to criticize the sacrifices of others?

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

I sometimes put kitten into my post manually, either because I know the filter will change it or because I can’t be bothered thinking of the right word to use to add emphasis (offensive or otherwise). If I put kitten in it’s like when something’s bleeped out on TV: everyone can fill in their own word.

Probably adopted from the dutch. (As is the word cookie apparently.)

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Lilith Ajit.6173

I sometimes put kitten into my post manually, either because I know the filter will change it or because I can’t be bothered thinking of the right word to use to add emphasis (offensive or otherwise). If I put kitten in it’s like when something’s bleeped out on TV: everyone can fill in their own word.

Interesting! Did not know that about the word cookie. And I very much like kittens AND cookies!

(Cookies plox nao.)

[ARES]

Muusic.2967

The word “kitten” has been submitted for consideration to the Urban Dictionary. Based on what KarateKid posted i figured it couldn’t hurt

~Dr. Seuss

Posted by: RoseofGilead.8907

RoseofGilead.8907

The English one could be derived from Old French. Maybe the Dutch one is, too. http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?term=kitten

Posted by: notebene.3190

notebene.3190

Over at MH, they changed it up all the time. I was just getting used to ‘flowers’ and now it’s ‘funnel cake’.

Muusic.2967

Official response:

Thanks for your definition of Kitten!

Editors reviewed your entry and have decided to not publish it.

To get a better idea of what editors publish and reject, sign up as an Urban Dictionary Editor here: Kitten

Urban Dictionary

Kitten

1.A banned word in a mmo forum that has been substituted by an automatic filter.

2.A word that is added by the op to server as offensive word because they already know it will be filtered. More common to Guild wars 2 but seen in many mmo forums.

~Dr. Seuss