Re: You should have researched the game before buying

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Rock.3947

Rock.3947

I would like to address the multitude of forum posters who respond to any post where the OP talks about something they would change about the game with something like: “You should have researched GW2 before buying it.”

Head over to the dungeons forum and you’ll find a post by Jon Peters that ends with this line:

“Thanks for your feedback, we really appreciate your desire to help us keep improving on the game.”

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/dungeons/Dungeon-Updates

And another from Ron Hrouda:

“we’re very aware that our reward system is not up to par for dungeons. It is something we are actively working on right now, to try and find a solution for. I’m not going to talk about what our plans are because I don’t want us to be trapped in promises, but I will say this: We know, and are actively working on updating the system.”

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/dungeons/Dungeons-and-Dungeon-Reward-System-Overhaul-Needed

The devs read the forums and take the player opinions seriously. Feedback improves the game.

Developers create software for users. Any supported software, but especially games, and especially an MMO is not static. That means it is constantly evolving. Players talking about their experience is useful for those who want to improve the game. The developers themselves have said an MMO is a service.

Jon Peters is absolutely right that these posters have a desire to make the game better. If we didn’t love GW2 we wouldn’t be posting on these forums, we’d be playing another game. Some players love GW2 so much they want to play it 40 hours a week, every week. That says something about how much they love this game!

What is not useful, to anybody, is posting in threads that offers feedback these canned responses about how people should research the games they buy. These posts do not help make the game better. They are also misleading because they imply that the game will always be exactly as it is now, which is incorrect.

Posted by: Jestunhi.7429

Jestunhi.7429

What also needs to be kept in mind is that no developer in their right mind will just implement everything that someone asks for.

Offering feedback is fine, but the developers have to make decisions which will please one part of the playerbase and displease another it’s simply not possible to please everyone.

As such, there will be some people who will not like the game, and there will be people who woul be happier playing something else.

SoE have finally been knocked off the top spot
in the list of developers I have the least faith & trust in.
Congratulations ArenaNet!

Posted by: Lance Coolee.9480

Lance Coolee.9480

Coming from a software developer that greatly values VALID user input….

A million times this ^

“GW2 takes everything you love about GW1” – M. O’Brien
“We just don’t want players to grind in GW2” – C. Johanson
“The most important thing in any game should be the player” – R. Soesbee

Posted by: knightblaster.8027

knightblaster.8027

At this point it’s basically an all-out lobbying war between the raider community from other games, and the people who don’t want this to be turned into that kind of game.

Posted by: Zzulu.5489

Zzulu.5489

Hardcore raiders are awful and are always the extreme minority but they always make such noise on forums all the time.

Posted by: Drudenfusz.2971

Drudenfusz.2971

I never understood the people who say stuff like: “You should have researched the game before buying.” I think it is almost as kitty as saying stuff like: “If you don’t like it, then go play another MMO.” Such nonsense only ruins the community (and MMOs are all about community) and just encourage developers to become lazy and not improve on their game (no game will ever be perfect).

Gwenya Drudenfusz [Boon], Norn Mesmer on Desolation

Rock.3947

Lance and Jestunhi I think you are pointing out something very important that I neglected to mention. Not all feedback is created equal.

However I would also say it is ultimately the software developer’s responsibility to sort out the valid feedback from the nonsense.

Posted by: Pustulio.8207

Pustulio.8207

I’m gonna HALF-agree with you on this one. If it’s something that everyone can agree on (like the dungeon rewards), then yes, posting about it is a good thing. But, if it’s something stupid like “I don’t like the endgame stuff, there should be raiding”, THEN I would agree with the person telling them they should have researched the game better.

Posted by: Rizzy.8293

Rizzy.8293

Exactly, and until you hit level 80, you don’t know what we’re talking about.
So instead of trying to put your nose into somewhere it doesn’t belong just so you can be heard, why don’t you get out of the forums, get back into the game and keep playing till you can understand what we’re talking about instead of assuming things.

And good post.

Posted by: marianitten.1247

marianitten.1247

I would like to address the multitude of forum posters who respond to any post where the OP talks about something they would change about the game with something like: “You should have researched GW2 before buying it.”

Head over to the dungeons forum and you’ll find a post by Jon Peters that ends with this line:

“Thanks for your feedback, we really appreciate your desire to help us keep improving on the game.”

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/dungeons/Dungeon-Updates

And another from Ron Hrouda:

“we’re very aware that our reward system is not up to par for dungeons. It is something we are actively working on right now, to try and find a solution for. I’m not going to talk about what our plans are because I don’t want us to be trapped in promises, but I will say this: We know, and are actively working on updating the system.”

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/dungeons/Dungeons-and-Dungeon-Reward-System-Overhaul-Needed

The devs read the forums and take the player opinions seriously. Feedback improves the game.

Developers create software for users. Any supported software, but especially games, and especially an MMO is not static. That means it is constantly evolving. Players talking about their experience is useful for those who want to improve the game. The developers themselves have said an MMO is a service.

Jon Peters is absolutely right that these posters have a desire to make the game better. If we didn’t love GW2 we wouldn’t be posting on these forums, we’d be playing another game. Some players love GW2 so much they want to play it 40 hours a week, every week. That says something about how much they love this game!

What is not useful, to anybody, is posting in threads that offers feedback these canned responses about how people should research the games they buy. These posts do not help make the game better. They are also misleading because they imply that the game will always be exactly as it is now, which is incorrect.

You are manipulating things…. One problem is that things you are remarking there.. and another, is the people who Flood this forums with:

“Where is the endgame? The engame is where? Why i cannot farm? I want to grind? I WOW You can XXXX..”

That kind of post… doesn’t help.. AT ALL.

For Those About to Zerg (We Salute You)

Lance Coolee.9480

@marianitten: …or what about those similar replies, bashing folks giving valid suggestions on improving the experience at level 80, with comments like “if you don’t like it, go back to wow”.

How is it that those types of responses aren’t as equally dejected?

Posted by: Durzlla.6295

Durzlla.6295

@Rock, yeah… everytime i’ve seen someone say that it’s well deserved… most of the time they people that post are dumb kittens who complain about not having raiding or this or that from every other MMO in existence (like the trinity) and demand it be put into GW2 because otherwise this game is bad….

However, if they were saying something like “Dungeon Rewards are awful and should be buffed!” then i’d agree with you, because in all honesty they are fairly horribad (the loot itself, not the cash from it although i wouldn’t argue to that being buffed lol)

They sing dark, delicious notes about power and family.
As their mother, I have to grant them their wish. – Forever Fyonna

Posted by: Jestunhi.7429

Jestunhi.7429

@marianitten: …or what about those similar replies, bashing folks giving valid suggestions on improving the experience at level 80, with comments like “if you don’t like it, go back to wow”.

How is it that those types of responses aren’t as equally dejected?

What you need to keep in mind is not every requested feature would be an “improvement” in everyone’s eyes.

The people who want endless progression may want higher levels, more tiers of skills, etc. Therefore they would see that as an improvement.

To the casual player who is boosted to level 80 in WvW that just widens the gap between the hardcore players and the casuals and would certainly not be an improvement.

There are opposing views on almost any proposed features. At some point a design decision needs to be made and respected. They cannot please everyone and they need to choose which type of player they are aiming for.

SoE have finally been knocked off the top spot
in the list of developers I have the least faith & trust in.
Congratulations ArenaNet!

Rock.3947

@marianitten I think they are slightly helpful in that they demonstrate that this person did not get what they wanted or expected from the endgame.

Posted by: Durzlla.6295

Durzlla.6295

@marianitten I think they are slightly helpful in that they demonstrate that this person did not get what they wanted or expected from the endgame.

Which is USUALLY due to them not doing any research and assuming it had raiding like just about every other mmo… I can not even count how many times i’ve read posts from people screaming and whining about how GW2 was a waste of money because there’s no raids, or gear progression and what’s the point in gear if it doesn’t make you better then everyone else…

They sing dark, delicious notes about power and family.
As their mother, I have to grant them their wish. – Forever Fyonna

marianitten.1247

@rock no… these post were the first ones yesterday:

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Playing-how-I-want-funny-story/first#post209195
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Why-endgame-PVE-feels-like-a-boring-standstill
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Getting-tired-of
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/The-Carrot/first#post209827
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Is-it-just-me-or-does-this-game-involve-no-strategy-other-than-running-back-to-the-boss-everytime-you-die

“Preface: I’m a fairly casual player, and have already completed my story, leveled one craft to 400 and have gotten 100% map completion.” <- That is impossible for a casual

“The lack of a subscription fee lets Guild Wars 2 get away with a lot. No endgame content, terrible voice acting, poor class balance, etc.” <- Really?

“Basically a mind-numbingly stupid strategy on a boss fight which apparently had very little thought put into its creation.” <- usefull

Tell.. how that helps in any way? There is a suggestion forum. they listen, and there is a lot of thing to improve. Rage post about endgame and “how others mmo do it” are pure trash.

Lance Coolee.9480

“Preface: I’m a fairly casual player, and have already completed my story, leveled one craft to 400 and have gotten 100% map completion.” <- That is impossible for a casual

@marian: considering you singled me out individually, I’ll respond to your argument with a screenshot.

That was my hours logged as of yesterday, with a level 80, 100% map complete and 1 level 400 craft. Now granted “casual” is a relative term, so I’ll define it as it relates to me.
- I have a steady 40ish hr / week job
- I’m actively planning a wedding
- I’m fostering 9 newborn puppies until they are ready to be adopted
- I don’t stay up to 2 in the morning playing
- I do tend to play a bit more on the weekends (on and off) when time is made available
- I don’t have time to run 2 hr long dungeons (I have to take breaks to clean up puppy poo in between game play)
- I don’t nearly have enough money needed to carry my butt across the map to find the really cool and rewarding events

Maybe if you read the rest of the post instead of assuming you know what I was saying after the second line, you’d have something substantial to say.

Attachments:

marianitten.1247

@marian: considering you singled me out individually, I’ll respond to your argument with a screenshot.

That was my hours logged as of yesterday, with a level 80, 100% map complete and 1 level 400 craft. Now granted “casual” is a relative term, so I’ll define it as it relates to me.
- I have a steady 40ish hr / week job
- I’m actively planning a wedding
- I’m fostering 9 newborn puppies until they are ready to be adopted
- I don’t stay up to 2 in the morning playing
- I do tend to play a bit more on the weekends (on and off) when time is made available
- I don’t have time to run 2 hr long dungeons (I have to take breaks to clean up puppy poo in between game play)
- I don’t nearly have enough money needed to carry my butt across the map to find the really cool and rewarding events

Maybe if you read the rest of the post instead of assuming you know what I was saying after the second line, you’d have something substantial to say.

Good job… you did the imposibble. now:

• Are you here raging post about why this game is not like wow ?
  • Are you here just complaining because yo cant grind or farm “in your way” ?
  • Are you saying the exact same thing that other bazillions of post say, IN THE SAME DAY, without any constructive suggestions?

I personally never said “go back to wow” or “You should have researched” , i know wich things WoW did well,(Example, Dungeon Finder) and what did wrong(GearScore, inspect, Nothing interesting besides raiding). I like to implement the “good” things here, because i know that will became this game much better.

I know this game have a Lot of BUGs. A LOT. They need to be fixed soon. I’m verykitten with one skill point i cant get because is bugged. But i know they are working. I know this game has pottencial. And i’m not paying subscriptions, and they give me HOURS more of Fun than SWTOR or WoW give me, just with the personal history, and the zones and lore.

Lance Coolee.9480

D. None of the above.

I’m here making very thought out, logical suggestions on how to improve the level 80 PVE experience.

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Why-endgame-PVE-feels-like-a-boring-standstill/first (you really should have read the full post along with my replies first before using it in your argument)

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/suggestions/What-the-LFG-system-should-be/first

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/suggestions/How-did-Dungeon-Grinding-survive-the-cut/first

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/suggestions/PVE-needs-better-aggro-management-abilities/first

Granted, they are my opinions and suggestions, but if you have an argument for or against them, read the entire post and make sure you have an understanding of what was being advocated, then state you logical argument, instead of all this “if you don’t like it, go back to wow” nonsense that I see littered across the forums.

marianitten.1247

@Lance ok, sorry for linking your post in the “trash” section.. i did just a quick search and copy/paste url. You are the 1%. And you have constructive opinions about the game. The others? no