Re-introduction of User Alt Heroes

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Michael Conrad.6704

Michael Conrad.6704

Would anyone be interested in say having Heroes being reintroduced into GW2 or maybe Heart of Thorns and having your other characters be able to stand in as Heroes ?
It might fulfill at least two desirable objectives. One ; having players add another incentive to create alt characters and , Two; everybody likes the idea of Heroes as far as I know. Thoughts ?

Posted by: Faux.1937

Faux.1937

Nope… But I would for WvW

WvW if your out-manned a Commander should be able to get “henchmen” to follow them to help out with smaller servers.

SAB or RIOT

Posted by: Cakemeister.5792

Cakemeister.5792

I think it would be fun. You could control what skills and gear the heroes used. It would add a new layer of fun to the game. I endorse this idea.

Posted by: Rauderi.8706

Rauderi.8706

I’d be more likely to do dungeons, then. =P

I wouldn’t like to see it in open world, but in personal/living story instances, dungeons, and theoretically fractals? It’d be nice, but I don’t see the rudimentary AI handling anything more complicated than “go die over there,” like the NPCs all do.

Many alts; handle it!
“I’m finding companies should sell access to forums,
it seems many like them better than the games they comment on.” -Horrorscope.7632

Posted by: Lishtenbird.2814

Lishtenbird.2814

everybody likes the idea of Heroes as far as I know

I don’t.

Please no more braindead NPC “helping”, knocking mobs away, removing defiance, spamming light fields, bugging out somewhere 10 miles away, aggroing random stuff and – most important – letting entitled play-how-I-wants get everything for AFKing in a corner.

20 level 80s and counting.

Posted by: Michael Conrad.6704

Michael Conrad.6704

Well, I for one have contemplated purchasing a second Guild Wars account just so I could have two of my characters online at the same time. There are so many things I could accomplish using two of my characters on simultaneously. One is troubleshooting builds. While one character is letting their 2 minute Elite skill cool down, I could be multi-tasking another. This begs another question, what about instant cooldowns in specific areas for the purpose of trouble shooting builds ?

Posted by: Morsus.5106

Morsus.5106

I don’t.

Please no more braindead NPC “helping”, knocking mobs away, removing defiance, spamming light fields, bugging out somewhere 10 miles away, aggroing random stuff

Sounds like a lot of pugs. I’m all for heroes. They can’t be any worse than the pugs.

Posted by: Dark Jericho.8609

Dark Jericho.8609

I think it would be fun. You could control what skills and gear the heroes used. It would add a new layer of fun to the game. I endorse this idea.

Same.

I wouldn’t like to see it in open world, but in personal/living story instances, dungeons, and theoretically fractals? It’d be nice, but I don’t see the rudimentary AI handling anything more complicated than “go die over there,” like the NPCs all do.

It would definitely take some tweaking of the system to have henchmen/heroes to behave like in GW1, though I think it’s doable. They would be perfect for instanced content, like you suggested. Open world I don’t see this ever happening. Open world content I dislike the most in this game because of how much zerging is encouraged and how much of a cluster… it is, especially with these new specific zone dailies that don’t scale well at all. Just running around tagging something to get credit instead of actually playing through some mechanics that can make things not a snore fest, and in instanced content with henchmen/heroes I think it can spice up things if done correctly.

Still though, with how broken AI pets and minions are right now and how little attention their bugs receive from the devs gives a hint that we’ll never get to see this sadly.

Posted by: Tiger Ashante.1792

Tiger Ashante.1792

I’d love to be able to play with my alts as heroes like in gw1. that was a lot of content right there gearing them up and setting up their builds etc. this would be icing on the cake in this game! and yes, agree with others, not in open world but dungeons/instances would be great!

Posted by: Orpheal.8263

Orpheal.8263

I absolutely want to see “Heroes”, or lets call them for GW2 better “Companions”, like ANet already had once the concept planned for GW2 to have a Companion System early before the Game got released, before they changed their minds over that and changed the whole concept with Downscaling to a total different System.

I want accountbound Companions, to unlock my own created Characters from my accoutn as Compaions for the character, that I actually play at the moment to be able to create with them this way an own 5 Person-Group.

I would so love that feature for Gameplay Features like:

• Personal Story Missions
  • Dungeons (Hard/Solo Mode)
  • Fractals of the Mist (Solo Mode)
  • Living Story Instances
  • Simple Exploration
  • To give GW2 a kind of Pawn System, thats inspired by Dragon’s Dogma, so send out your Characters as a kind of Mercenary which help other Players in the above mentioned Gameplay Features and bring back to the player account Rewards, Loot and Gold based on how long your Companion was away as Pawn on a journey with an other player, able to receive old Ratings for your Character for things like “Style”, “Effectiveness”, “Behavior” Ratings are from 1-5

Style = Rating for the general Looks of the Character, Equipment, Weapons.
Effectiveness = Rating for the Usefulness of that Character
Behaviour = Rating for the Battles and AI Positioned based on a players chosen AI gambits that tell the AI how your Character should battle, but is naturally also part of your chosen Weapon Sets, Runes/Sigils ect.

Would be imo an awesome social community feature and personalyl I found this was also one of the best features from Dragons Dogma that was by the way also the only Online Feature of that game, but which gave the player at least a little feeling of being connected somehow with other DD Gamers by usign their Characters on your journeys through the game to find together your most awesome looking hero group

Personally I like the idea behind sub classes ~ quoted from Chris Whiteside

Posted by: Xander.9024

Xander.9024

I wouldn’t mind it. In GW1 we had some micromanagement with them. Place flag here, click the skill for them to use it when you wanted them to, set each one to guard, defend or avoid combat. Shift click this skill so the hero wouldn’t use it unless you told them to.

Posted by: CureForLiving.5360

CureForLiving.5360

I could see this being useful in some dungeons which aren’t frequently done anymore, and since ANet hasn’t given much attention to dungeons in months (or is it years?) they might as well make dungeons solo-able. Granted its probably going to be a lot of work to do this properly.

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

No. If they wanted to add solo content then it should just be designed for a single actor. Don’t add some annoying AI in there. Henchmen also restrict content design.

A few examples:
AC p2, traps for the gravelings as well as charging the traps for ghost eater.
TA atherpath, too many things to list
CoF p1, the gate controller sequence would have to go because even if you can flag the henchmen to each location they will very likely run/dodge out of it constantly.
CoF p3 with the torches, not sure how that would work at all
CoE all paths with the laser grid …
for fractals aquatic ruins, swamp, uncategorized, dredge, jade maw would all be problematic, maybe others as well.
Anything that requires dodging.

Posted by: GuzziHero.2467

GuzziHero.2467

I’d love to multibox two of my characters but I’m not sure if its bannable. 2 copies of GW2, 2 accounts, 1 mouse 1 keyboard. Each press would only perform one action on each account, I can’t see that as an issue.

Posted by: uknortherner.2670

uknortherner.2670

Same here.

It would work if the RTS element from GW was included (placing flags/issuing commands etc.) I wouldn’t want to see this used for the open world though – just dungeons, especially story mode.

I stole a special snowflake’s future by exercising my democratic right to vote.

Posted by: Lishtenbird.2814

Lishtenbird.2814

I don’t.

Please no more braindead NPC “helping”, knocking mobs away, removing defiance, spamming light fields, bugging out somewhere 10 miles away, aggroing random stuff

Sounds like a lot of pugs. I’m all for heroes. They can’t be any worse than the pugs.

They can. They don’t listen, like, at all, ever. And you can’t kick them halfway and get someone who actually knows which buttons to press.

20 level 80s and counting.

Posted by: Silalus.8760

Silalus.8760

I would love to have henchmen.

But

Only if they were my other characters. I’d like to literally have my family of alts follow my main around like a pack of puppies.

Posted by: Chameleon Dude.1564

Chameleon Dude.1564

I’d be okay with heroes, but as others have said: they’d have to be limited to instanced content; and there would be some instances that would be problematic. Gearing them seems like a pain though. In GW1, that was quick and easy – even to give them superior vigours and some fancy skins. Certain runes/sigils and, if some felt it necessary, ascended gear (well, if they’re for instances, fractals do come to mind) would be a bit much for a full party.

I’d love to multibox two of my characters but I’m not sure if its bannable. 2 copies of GW2, 2 accounts, 1 mouse 1 keyboard. Each press would only perform one action on each account, I can’t see that as an issue.

One action on each account. Two accounts. One multiplied by two is two. Two actions.

Posted by: Trashman.8596

Trashman.8596

I’ve always wanted them. I want to see my alts do awesome things without having to switch to them.

Venkas
Ehmry Bay/Haven Community
A Commander sometimes

Posted by: Silalus.8760

Silalus.8760

They’ve made it very clear in the past that having two accounts running at the same time is fine, but having two accounts set up in a way where one click or keypress causes both accounts to do something at the same time is verboten.

If the forum search worked I’d link you, but it doesn’t so… I guess trust me that I saw it explained that explicitly at one point. There was no ambiguity at all.

Posted by: Reanne.5462

Reanne.5462

gw1 was so much easier to play 2 accounts in, plus heros – I could run a party of 8 in FOW runs by myself – I would love to beable to do that in gw2, I might actually get into having fun with dungeons, which I otherwise completely ignore because of pugs. and elitists.

Posted by: MithranArkanere.8957

MithranArkanere.8957

It could be nice, but only for instanced content and in maps that do not have many players.

For example, you are in a party of 5, one leaves you can’t get anyone to join. You pop one of your other characters as a hero.
You are around with your hero in some mostly empty map, a world boss is about to begin, lots of people join the map… poof. Your hero is gone even before your miniature gets hidden.

For now it’s too soon to add such a thing, since getting people for instances is very easy, and maps are now hardly ever empty because of megaserver.

Maybe in… let’s say 10 years.

SUGGEST-A-TRON says:
PAY—ONCE—UNLOCKS—ARE—ALWAYS—BETTER.
No exceptions!

Posted by: GuzziHero.2467

GuzziHero.2467

They’ve made it very clear in the past that having two accounts running at the same time is fine, but having two accounts set up in a way where one click or keypress causes both accounts to do something at the same time is verboten.

If the forum search worked I’d link you, but it doesn’t so… I guess trust me that I saw it explained that explicitly at one point. There was no ambiguity at all.

Its all good, I’m happy to take your word for it. I wouldnt risk 2 accounts plus $500 plus worth of purchases for the sake of it

Posted by: kylwilson.9137

kylwilson.9137

Give me back my inhuman Norgu interrupt reflexes. I used to be competitive with him and see if I could out-interrupt him on my own Mesmer.

Honestly, I’d limit it to one single hero at a time out of a selection if it were to be introduced. But I don’t hate the idea.

But I’m incredibly pro anything that will bring the game closer to it’s Guild Wars 1 days.

\o/

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

Let’s see: friendly AI in GW2.

Destiny’s Edge: Useless
S2 NPC’s: Almost useless (they have been known to revive on occasion)
Explorable Dungeon NPC’s: Buggy liabilities
Necro Minions: Should I attack today? Maybe not…
Ranger Pets: What’s dodge?

Past performance is the best indicator of future performance.

Posted by: Pandaman.4758

Pandaman.4758

Considering how bad the AI is? I would rather solo something than have four useless NPCs scale it up and fail to contribute to anything other than provide me with reviving experience.